HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Question for the group

Old
09-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Sniped90

vCash: 500
Question for the group

So question if there is a lockout(knock on ice) do the contracts roll over or do they lose a year? Im not a boston fan but if they lose the year then wouldnt it work out with thomas leaving for example or horcoffs horendious contract? Im presumeing they lose the year off the contracts, am i right?

Sniped90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:44 AM
danaluvsthekings

In the last lockout, the year expired off the contract. With this lockout, it obviously depends on how long the lockout lasts. If it's only part of the year, then the players salaries for this season would be prorated.

For Boston, losing the year gets them out of Thomas's contract, so that's something they'd prefer. Edmonton would like seeing a year kick off Horcoff's contract. But losing the whole year also puts Lucic, Seguin, and Rask as RFAs right away. Edmonton would lose the last year on Eberle and Hall's rookie deals and makes guys like Whitney and Smid UFAs right away (unless UFA age changes). So there are pros and cons for any team.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:23 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
In the last lockout, the year expired off the contract. With this lockout, it obviously depends on how long the lockout lasts. If it's only part of the year, then the players salaries for this season would be prorated.

For Boston, losing the year gets them out of Thomas's contract, so that's something they'd prefer. Edmonton would like seeing a year kick off Horcoff's contract. But losing the whole year also puts Lucic, Seguin, and Rask as RFAs right away. Edmonton would lose the last year on Eberle and Hall's rookie deals and makes guys like Whitney and Smid UFAs right away (unless UFA age changes). So there are pros and cons for any team.
I don't think any team see's an NHL lockout as a beneficiary to get out of bad contracts, because they will just lose a year of millions of dollars that could of been made during the season and maybe playoffs.

Getting out of a $5M+ contract is not as bad as losing $100M+.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Beezeral

The new CBA would decide that.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:08 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
I don't think any team see's an NHL lockout as a beneficiary to get out of bad contracts, because they will just lose a year of millions of dollars that could of been made during the season and maybe playoffs.

Of course. I just meant that if there's not going to be a season due to a year long lockout, you might get the pros of losing some contracts, but there are also some big cons to losing years on contracts as well.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
What about ELC's for the 2012 draft class or for players that have not played professionally? Previously did they all still lose a year? Could that be an explanation as to why so many 2012 drafted players were eager to sign their ELC, essentially they were signing a two year ELC rather than a three year?

As mentioned I guess this will be decided by the new CBA but I was curious as to what happened in 04-05.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:24 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBackBulin View Post
What about ELC's for the 2012 draft class or for players that have not played professionally? Previously did they all still lose a year? Could that be an explanation as to why so many 2012 drafted players were eager to sign their ELC, essentially they were signing a two year ELC rather than a three year?

As mentioned I guess this will be decided by the new CBA but I was curious as to what happened in 04-05.
I believe that the 3 year ELC is actually 3-5 years. If they are not playing pro after 2 years then the first year starts. If they play pro immediately then the first year is burned off. Not sure what happens in a lockout.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post

18 teams lost money on hockey in 2010-11, presumably around the same amount last year. The majority of those teams made money on non-hockey businesses. A lockout can only help those teams off the ice.

09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Hull signed a 1 year with the Stars last time, became UFA, signed with Coyotes.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM
IranCondraAffair

It will be interesting for the guys on "prove it" contracts.

I know for the Sens there is Latendresse who signed for a single season. Assuming a year is burnt off and he's a FA again, there might be more teams willing to offer him a contract since he's farther from his injury AND they now have cap room.

Another interesting idea is NJ. They're required to forfeit a 1st rounder next season. Will they get a chance to enter into a special draft lottery like they held last time or will they simply kill the NJ pick entirely.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
18 teams lost money on hockey in 2010-11, presumably around the same amount last year. The majority of those teams made money on non-hockey businesses. A lockout can only help those teams off the ice.
Not necessarily. For teams not losing much and trending upwards it could hurt them a lot. There would still be lease-related expenses, they'd likely still keep some franchise staff, and so on. Not to mention that lockout might mean a loss in future revenues due to lost fan interest (less merchs, lower ticket prices, cheaper TV deals, etc.) So it could still hurt them a lot.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
It will be interesting for the guys on "prove it" contracts.

I know for the Sens there is Latendresse who signed for a single season. Assuming a year is burnt off and he's a FA again, there might be more teams willing to offer him a contract since he's farther from his injury AND they now have cap room.

Another interesting idea is NJ. They're required to forfeit a 1st rounder next season. Will they get a chance to enter into a special draft lottery like they held last time or will they simply kill the NJ pick entirely.
NJ can forfeit their pick in 2013 or 2014. If a ball lottery happens, they will get a ball and a spot.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote