HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 09:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm not confident that Sauer will ever play NHL hockey again at all.

Nore do I feel it would be wise for him to do so.

His brain obviously suffered a bad enough trauma that he's still not healthy. Why risk it. Take it easy, live a normal healthy life.

It sucks, but hockey isn't everything.

Why risk ending up like Savard. The way Mike plays, very physical, its not out of question.
I've been saying for a while now that they can't count on him and they need to proceed as though he's not in the plans. Anything they get from him is a bonus at this point.

09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I've been saying for a while now that they can't count on him and they need to proceed as though he's not in the plans. Anything they get from him is a bonus at this point.
Yea. And its really unfortunate, but thats the way it has to be.

Their defense corp should be fine either way. They have one of the better top four in the league. McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto.

Skjei and McIlrath in the system.

Finding guys to play on the bottom pair shouldn't be a hard task. So when ever this CBA nonsense is settled, they can bring in a 6th/7th guy to rotate with Bickel.

And Stralman may end up being a key contributor.

Old
09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
...oh no?

That trade is the least of my worries right now. Bickel is a better player than Kundratek anyway.
He said it was a bad trade (which it was, in fact it was an awful one). Not sure I see what's wrong with that...

Old
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm not confident that Sauer will ever play NHL hockey again at all.

Nore do I feel it would be wise for him to do so.

His brain obviously suffered a bad enough trauma that he's still not healthy. Why risk it. Take it easy, live a normal healthy life.

It sucks, but hockey isn't everything.

Why risk ending up like Savard. The way Mike plays, very physical, its not out of question.
Agreed. I believe that his brother Kurt's career was ended early due to concussions. His was a nasty one, helmetless head on the lip of the boards.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Apparently Kurt's issue was more neck oriented, but SBOB has it right in the regard that the NYR franchise have to proceed as though he is retired and really field a D that isn't contingent upon his return, at any point.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:10 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Other players have missed significant time with concussions and they have returned to play. If its takes 13 months,then it takes 13 months.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
NYR Viper

What Torts said shouldn't come as a surprise. Sauer hasn't been with the guys or training with the team in NYC at all. Why would any of us expect to see him on Opening Night? He will need to train and get back in game shape. That takes months, not weeks. Especially after shutting it all down for 12 months.

Also, that Kundratek trade was AWFUL! He will be a bottom-pairing NHL d-man. His skating is well above average, he has hard shot and good size.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Vitto79

bummer about Sauer, was really hoping he could make it back for opening night. With that said a strike will buy him some time and regardless he needs a stink in the AHL for conditioning.

If he is back for the last month and the playoffs its a big pickup really.

Have a feelign they will sign a guy like Colliacavo to fill in. Or a filler waiver /vet 2 way deal. Like Woywitka did last yr but ideally better

I dont hate Bickel as teh 6th Dman during the yr but no way in the playoffs.

I also am fine with Sather being tough on DZ, sign the deal kid especially if you are getting 2.2-2.5 million. Last yr was good but they yr before that was very bad and his first yr was great first half and blah 2nd. He still needs to have a few more consistent yrs before a bigger payday

Old
09-10-2012, 11:19 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
he needs a stink in the AHL for conditioning.
lol, that's exactly why redden is there

Old
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
We have a history of trying vet guys under Torts... Exelby, Semenov, amongst others, Stralman was further into the season but i'm confident we'll grab one.

A little disappointing that a guy like Kundtratek didn't pan out for us. We are quick to deal our prospects who aren't developing quickly, though. The list is endless but i'm sure all of you remember some of them .
Kundratek asked for a trade though, so I don't think it's fair to characterize it as us being impatient with him. Obviously Bouchard sucks and the return was ****, but it's tough when you have no leverage with Kundratek probably running back to Europe if he wasn't dealt.

It's just pain.
Old
09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Rocket Richard, Modano, Deadmarsh, Granato, Lindros, Savard etc all suffered similar concussions (in terms of severity) and they all played again.

The issue will be if he suffers secondary and tertiary.

I dont see Sauer as a Brett Lindros kind of situation. He'll come back.

Old
09-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Except for that whole thing about how Sauer is a much, much better player than Bickel.
Woosh.

Was attempting to use sarcasm by referring to Stu as 'The Bickel'.

Old
09-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Barnaby

I'd love to see Sauer back, but I would rather see him retire than end up like Marc Savard. I hope he doesn't push the envelope too much.

Old
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 822
No way he retires now when just even a few more years in the NHL and he makes an extra few millions of dollars.

Most people don't quit things that bring an assload of money to them unless there's a super obvious chance of death. Even then, people still line up to join the military every day and getting shot at is a bit more dangerous than a bump to the head.

Old
09-10-2012, 04:56 PM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
No way he retires now when just even a few more years in the NHL and he makes an extra few millions of dollars.

Most people don't quit things that bring an assload of money to them unless there's a super obvious chance of death. Even then, people still line up to join the military every day and getting shot at is a bit more dangerous than a bump to the head.
It's not as simple as you think. Concussions are nothing to take lightly. Depending on the severity, it can mess you up for a good portion of you life. Sauer is only 25. I don't doubt he wants to come back and play hard every night. Who wouldn't? But I'd rather him lead a healthy life full of fun and experience. You don't get that going out every once a month because the sun and traffic noises are giving you head aches from hell, or you couldn't take your girlfriend out to a movie because of how bad it hurts to walk down a flight of stairs. Its a bad experience that I wouldn't wish on any one. If he comes back and is able to play 100%, than that's awesome. If not, let him live his life.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:50 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 162
Bumping this. Any news?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Bumping this. Any news?

Looks like the team just told him to rest for now while the CBA is being negotiated. There can't be any damage from resting, and there's no benefit to testing him, thus putting stress on his injury, while the league is shut down.

Once the CBA is signed, let's see what kind of news we get on Sauer. Considering that 4 months ago we learned that he's been making "tremendous progress", I think it's fair to expect Sauer to be either ready or close to ready by the time the season begins around the New Year.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I am glad he is taking small steps to recovery, no one should have to suffer such a severe injury.

12-10-2012, 04:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I am glad he is taking small steps to recovery, no one should have to suffer such a severe injury.
I asked someone who should know about Sauer's playing future 4-6 weeks ago when the CBA is eventually done and season is played. The Rangers don't expect Sauer to play this season. Maybe he wakes up one morning feeling great feeling symptom free and plays this season. Not likely. That Dave Maloney report was almost 5 months ago. Late July after the Rangers acquired Rick Nash. It would be a bonus if Sauer played.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I asked someone who should know about Sauer's playing future 4-6 weeks ago when the CBA is eventually done and season is played. The Rangers don't expect Sauer to play this season. Maybe he wakes up one morning feeling great feeling symptom free and plays this season. Not likely. That Dave Maloney report was almost 5 months ago. Late July after the Rangers acquired Rick Nash. It would be a bonus if Sauer played.
My guess would be that he sits for the 12-13 season (if there is one). I believe he would become an RFA at that point. If he gets the OK, then I'd imagine he'd sign a low 1 year deal. This guy overcame a lot of injuries to get where he was - it's a shame he's had to go down this road.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
My guess would be that he sits for the 12-13 season (if there is one). I believe he would become an RFA at that point. If he gets the OK, then I'd imagine he'd sign a low 1 year deal. This guy overcame a lot of injuries to get where he was - it's a shame he's had to go down this road.
And because of this, I think he will be done. The prognosis is awful. There's been little to no improvement in his status. He still can't do all daily activities without feeling symptoms.

Even if his brain 'heals', he still has to get back in shape from not playing for a year and a half (looking at next season), maintain his health during that time...and if he's able to crack the line up, he's still looking at his next injury, which is always coming when you are talking about the Sauer boys.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

No matter what progress he makes, sadly Sauer is just one hard bump in the head away for being permanently out. Best thing for this guy would be to retire and try to atleast have a normal life after hockey

Old
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
No matter what progress he makes, sadly Sauer is just one hard bump in the head away for being permanently out. Best thing for this guy would be to retire and try to atleast have a normal life after hockey
Thinking the same thing. I know he loves hockey, but is it worth living the next 50 years of his life with nausea, headaches, dizziness, etc? It wouldn't be to me.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Thinking the same thing. I know he loves hockey, but is it worth living the next 50 years of his life with nausea, headaches, dizziness, etc? It wouldn't be to me.
If he is forced to retire, is there some kind of insurance for at least 10 years of lost income?
After this year, he has made around 3 millions, which should be good to be set for life, but I don't know what kind of expenses he has in his life.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
After this year, he has made around 3 millions, which should be good to be set for life, but I don't know what kind of expenses he has in his life.

$3 doesn't set you up for life. Are you kidding me?!

1. The tax rate for a single guy making a lot of money annually is over 50%. That already takes him to under $1.5.

2. A small 2-bedroom condo in a middle class Brooklyn neighborhood like Park Slope (not near the park itself) will cost him over half a million. I'm not talking about buying a rocking pad in Midtown. I'm talking about a 900 sq foot apartment in Brooklyn. Throw in furniture, car, routine expenses, and he is down to a few hundred thousand dollars. That doesn't set you up for life.

3. There's inflation. Even if he has half a million saved up after buying and furnishing/fixing up his condo, that money will lose half its value every 20 years or so.

4. The saved up money he has may get him about $1k a month in revenue from a safe investment in his bank (a CD or something like that) or he can buy himself a small bar or another small business, but it certainly will not be enough for him to survive on for the rest of his life. Sauer will have to have a regular, middle class job if he retires today.

5. And that's why he will likely refuse to retire if he can help it. If he manages to make another million in post-tax income, he will be able to live a middle class lifestyle without having to scramble to get a middle-class job.

Closed Thread