HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs pushing QLB to block NHL lockout in Quebec

Old
09-10-2012, 06:55 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Schedule is set by commissioner's office. There would be no scheduled games.

However, I've been looking over the NHL constitution and bylaws. I'm pretty sure the Habs would have the right to play whatever exhibition game they want during the lockout with their contracted players.

With no CBA it seems the players are just the contracted employees of Club de Hockey Canadien, Inc.
I was kidding by saying the Habs would still play as there would be no season to play.

I was serious about making them practice and prepping them for when the season did start if they did have to pay them.

I am curious though, why wasn't this an issue during the last lock out?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i... hate... fehr... so... much....
Why? He's not the one locking out the players. He's not responsible for 3 lockouts in 19 or so years (see Bettman).

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:26 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

It'd be nice to get the opinion of a Quebec labour lawyer to see what the chances are of this succeeding. Anybody on these boards in labour law? I'm a lawyer but I have little to no expertise in this field. I have a feeling the Quebec labour relations board will find a way to say they do not have the jurisdiction to make an order OR they will say that the fact that the NHLPA is not certified in Quebec is not a valid reason for avoiding a lockout because it is the NHLPA itself that has chosen not to be certified in the province of Quebec.

If they labour relations board does find in favour of the players, the Canadiens will start to put pressure on Bettman to get this thing resolved and I'm sure they'll find something for the players to do in the meantime (ie. guided tours by actual Canadiens anyone?)

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:55 AM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Why? He's not the one locking out the players. He's not responsible for 3 lockouts in 19 or so years (see Bettman).
Fehr is the one who got MLB players on strike in 1994 costing Expos a potential play-offs run.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
They'd do nothing, but since the lockout would be illegal in Quebec, the team would still be forced to pay them, whereas in other cities, if the owners lock out the players, the players don't get paid.

This could have serious financial implications for the team.
Maybe - maybe not so bed as you think, though. There would also be no revenue sharing during that time.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
And Bettman is just the owners' lawyer.

I hate Geoff Molson a lot more than I hate Bettman.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Good on the players for making the effort to get their pay, regardless of whether they play or not. It would suck to sit at home and not make money for a whole year, and suck equally as much to have to find work overseas for a year, especially for a man with a family to tend to. Either leave the family for a whole year or move them to Europe for a year.

The person this hurts the most is obviously Molson. Imagine the revenue he'll miss out on, on top of having to pay his entire team. He'd take a huge hit and the only way he could make up for it the next year is... my God, higher ticket prices.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Joe Cole

Does the player contracts have language that specifically says that they are paid for playing NHL games?

If not and the Habs are forced to pay them, then the team should try to generate revenue from them. Appearances, games, etc...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
ManixLiquid

If the players succed, will the habs have 4 on 4 games (like McDonald's Academy in 05) in bell center?

ManixLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Andros777

Maybe this is the players' way of making Molson more amenable to any resolution to the crisis which they suggest.

But if he still can't leverage the league to sign the players' CBA offer, if I were Molson, I'd set up a bunch of tedious exhibition games against the China Sharks just to troll the players back.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Fozz

Does anyone else here think that this Quebec labor law is the reason why MLB did everything in their power to get the Expos out of the province? Could this be the reason why Bettman doesn't appear interested in moving a team to Quebec City?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
nilan30

Why couldn't this news have come out about a week before the start of free agency? Imagine the guys that would have been lined up to sign with the Habs for at least one year.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Does anyone else here think that this Quebec labor law is the reason why MLB did everything in their power to get the Expos out of the province? Could this be the reason why Bettman doesn't appear interested in moving a team to Quebec City?
That's a good point.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Just as a lockout has big implication on players' salaries. Good for the players, I'm tired of the teams/owners/Bettman not even try to negociate and threaten to lockout every time.
owners just have to split the bill. They won't have the choice if the same holds true for Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto. Apparently, similar requests have be made to Alberta and Ontario.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:44 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
That's a good point.
Bettman is only interested in the big revenues Montreal and Toronto generate.
Who cares what he thinks about Canadian labor laws. And other provinces have similar labor laws, it's not Quebec specific.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Im on owners side. What a ****** move. Hope it's taken care of.
I'm on the fans' side. Hopefully this pushes the owners towards a compromise, and we see some NHL hockey sooner than later.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
This could mean a lot of things...

For one, the owners (as a collective) have a certain amount of money set aside to cover expenses that would be incurred whether there is a lockout or not. I would highly doubt if they anticipated and have the money required to front that $60+ million payroll in Montreal.

This also means that Montreal ownership, who I'm betting is already on the fence with the position the owners are taking, is now DEFINITELY not interested in a lockout. And I'm betting that here are plenty of other teams, like Philly, NYC, Toronto, and the other high grossers that are not exactly keen on Bettman's current stance. They claim to be united but this could cause some cracks.
I've suspected from the start the the owners are definitely NOT united.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:18 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
They wanted to negotiate a year ago. Fehr refused until a month left. He's responsible. Owners were ready a LONG time ago.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'm on the fans' side. Hopefully this pushes the owners towards a compromise, and we see some NHL hockey sooner than later.
Stop worrying about us. We have little impact on this. If Sony or Microsoft or whatever goes on strike, do you make a "customers union"? It's just when it's a sport we feel we matter, we don't. If you want to make an impact, don't buy tickets. Their salaries are based on revenues, so don't give them money.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Which than makes me wonder if the players use up a year on their contracts like it was a playing season?

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

And so, why can't the NHLPA gain QLB certification?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Stop worrying about us. We have little impact on this. If Sony or Microsoft or whatever goes on strike, do you make a "customers union"? It's just when it's a sport we feel we matter, we don't. If you want to make an impact, don't buy tickets. Their salaries are based on revenues, so don't give them money.
I didn't suggest we have any impact, or that we should form a "customers union." I just think hoping for decisions that would result in a continued stand-off is silly, from a fan's POV. Hoping that a legal maneuver that may force compromise fails because you are "on the owners' side" is petty, IMO.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
And so, why can't the NHLPA gain QLB certification?
Precisely. The QLB will reject the demand on the basis that the NHLPA could have gain certification at any time if it wished to and it is recognized as a union elsewhere in Canada/North America.

It's just a troll move to answer the owners' trolling so far. If you look at the player's reaction after the owners reviewed their offer, they said they would answer the offer and ended up not doing it (just reviewing theirs). The negotiations have just been troll A answering to troll B since the owners started with a pretty rapacious offer that made no sense whatsoever.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I didn't suggest we have any impact, or that we should form a "customers union." I just think hoping for decisions that would result in a continued stand-off is silly, from a fan's POV. Hoping that a legal maneuver that may force compromise fails because you are "on the owners' side" is petty, IMO.
Why would it be silly?

I hope the canadiens win the cup, and as a result, I hope whoever they face in stanley cup final loses. Isn't that the same?

I don't suggest the league goes about it's business illegally. I just hope they find a legal way to go around this pressure tactic. I don't think I'm wrong in saying that.

I feel the owners gave the players plenty of time(1 year ish) to negotiate and they waited till the last month. Now...the players are using pressure tactics? It seems strange. The owners didn't hold this up, the players did.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Why would it be silly?

I hope the canadiens win the cup, and as a result, I hope whoever they face in stanley cup final loses. Isn't that the same?

I don't suggest the league goes about it's business illegally. I just hope they find a legal way to go around this pressure tactic. I don't think I'm wrong in saying that.

I feel the owners gave the players plenty of time(1 year ish) to negotiate and they waited till the last month. Now...the players are using pressure tactics? It seems strange. The owners didn't hold this up, the players did.
I guess your perspective on this is an endearing position in a way, it's such a sports fan move! I just don't see the owners/union battle in the same way as watching two teams fight it out on a playing surface. I see this as an inconvenience, more than as a fun contest for spectators.