HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Do NHL GM's come to HF and look at the proposals ?

Old
09-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Several, actually, and we've been on the right track a handful of times too. JvR for Schenn, the Carter trade, etc.
A million monkeys typing on a million keyboards.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Thumper17

I recall someone calling the Cammelleri/Bourque trade almost exactly.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
Do you guys think that NHL GM's come in this section and look at proposals , possibly giving the GM an idea or a start for a possible real-life trade? I know if my trade got done in real life , I'd feel like a genius.
Only when they have a lot of time to kill and need a good laugh.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
There is what, about 1000 proposals a week on this site? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If a GM checked this site out, it would be for comedy relief.
Exactly, if HF gets one right it's most likely due to the sheer number of trade proposals on here.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Probably not, but doesn't mean people in hockey (GMs, players, media) don't visit these parts.

If you're plugged into the internet and an intimate part of hockey like that, it's difficult not to stumble upon HF. High Google and Alexa rankings say hello.

I'm not suggesting GMs come deliberately to HF to look at proposals. I am suggesting that it's highly possible these people have, at one point or another, visited this site.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilevski View Post
Phoenix fan rt proposed Vrbata to Phoenix for David Hale and Todd Fedoruk and about 48 hours later it was completed.
That's what I thought of when I read the topic name.

Well, after I laughed at the thought of Bryan Murray or Brian Burke reading some of the drivel on here.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I don't see why they wouldn't want to know what the fans want and maybe see an outside the box idea they hadn't really thought of. That's just being smart. Sitting there and laughing at us and only that, let's see your ring from last year is what I would say to that.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Do you guys think that NHL GM's come in this section and look at proposals , possibly giving the GM an idea or a start for a possible real-life trade? I know if my trade got done in real life , I'd feel like a genius.
They'd have better luck in a video game.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I don't see why they wouldn't want to know what the fans want and maybe see an outside the box idea they hadn't really thought of. That's just being smart. Sitting there and laughing at us and only that, let's see your ring from last year is what I would say to that.
Hockey, at most levels, is a "good old boy" small community. Most probably couldnt tell you how to access HF...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Hockey, at most levels, is a "good old boy" small community. Most probably couldnt tell you how to access HF...
Agreed, hence all of the bone headed moves we see....signing Avery to a big deal then waiving him, Tallon getting into cap hell, Holmgren's....well, there is a lot, etc.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
CHLLL Penguin

vCash: 506
Wow.

CHLLL Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
BowDangles

I don't think that GMs actually come on HF boards but I do think they are some what influenced by it. By that I mean that a lot of media people do come on here and even have accounts on HF (ie. Bob Stauffer). So if the media sees something that they deem interesting or even doable than they will more than likely talk about it on their radio show/write it in the paper/talk about it on a panel/etc.

So this is how the GMs would hear about it, in their local paper or on TV or radio. Than I could see the GMs making a call if they like the idea of it.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Tacos
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Several, actually, and we've been on the right track a handful of times too. JvR for Schenn, the Carter trade, etc.
Eklund has a better hitting percentage on trades than the HF proposal board
Law of averages, throw 10,000 props a year and we're bound to get a couple

Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:39 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
As much as people have laughed at this, I am sure it has happened at least indirectly once..

Someone starts a rumor (that makes sense), media gets a hold of it, and one of the GM's run with it.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

For a good laugh, maybe. I doubt they peruse the boards. Maybe someone on staff or on the team looks at the site, and they say to a GM "hey check out this silly ****".

GMs don't need to look at HF Boards. They should know what their own team needs are, and they can just call around to see what is available. All we do is guess and discuss for fun.

Last edited by TMI: 09-10-2012 at 11:32 AM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
For a good laugh, maybe. I doubt they peruse the boards. Maybe someone on staff or on the team looks at the site, and they say to a GM "hey check out this silly ****".

GMs don't need to look at HF Boards. They should know what their own team needs, and they can just call around to see what is available. All we do is guess and discuss for fun.
This. Also, if a GM has time to send around a ****** HF proposal to his counterparts and/or colleagues, I don't want them as a GM of my team.

Last edited by TMI: 09-10-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: don't flame
YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
As much as people have laughed at this, I am sure it has happened at least indirectly once..

Someone starts a rumor (that makes sense), media gets a hold of it, and one of the GM's run with it.
No.

No. No. No. No. No.

A GM should not be making ANY decisions off rumours, or media driven speculation. That's idiotic, bad business, and just plain stupid.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
TrillMike

I really hope not. I wouldn't be surprised if a few players lurked here from time to time.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Ceremony
Party like it's 1959

vCash: 0
I hope not, or Sherman will see Avs fans saying Bozak for Stastny and make it happen.

09-10-2012, 11:39 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I hope not, or Sherman will see Avs fans saying Bozak for Stastny and make it happen.
Why don't we run with the idea and see?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

C'mon, seriously? 99.9999% of the proposals that end up on here are ludicrous. And only a handful of the remaining 0.0001% end up happening. It's a simple numbers game that we collectively get one right every once and a while, no different than Eklund.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
zeus3007*

If I were an NHL GM, sitting around having some brews with other NHL GM's, I'd totally come to HF to look at proposals and laugh at all the dummies on the internet. But seriously, if any GM looks here for trade advice, I hope like hell they are fired, for the sake of their teams and fanbases.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:04 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilevski View Post
Phoenix fan rt proposed Vrbata to Phoenix for David Hale and Todd Fedoruk and about 48 hours later it was completed.
I hope that Maloney doesn't listen to rt!!! Most of his trade scenarios are borderline desperate.

In answer to the OP, They might monitor the forum to their respective team, but this forum, maybe for a laugh...

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Which makes me a lifetime one for one hundred. Haha.
The best part of this proposal (Vrbata for Hale + Fedoruk) was that it was made entirely tongue-in-cheek with naked intent to screw over the lightning and not a modicum of expectation that it would ever turn out.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
That being said , do you think it's a possibility that GM's make an account and propose a trade to see the reaction of the fan base ?
I think somebody makes an account at their request and gives them the skinny on a semi-regular basis, which they may check in on once in a while, mostly out of curiosity than perceived value.

As to the reaction of the fan base, they don't give a flying or a stationary fig, and either make decisions to be yes man to an idiot owner, or to try and make themselves look good. There are exceptions, but this seems to be more often than not the case.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote