HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Erik Gudbranson (2010, 3rd overall, Florida)

Old
12-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan3131 View Post
How is he looking in florida so far, and is he ever going to live up to the expectations of the top defenceman drafted in the 2010 draft?
I'll let Florida fans answer the first part, but how in the heck can anyone answer the second part?

How can one conclude based on his performance as a rookie 19-year old defenseman with less than 30 games NHL experience thus far, how the rest of his career will unfold?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
HarveySpecter

vCash: 500
just how is he coming along compared to other defencemen drafted in 2010 .. i never hear anything about him.

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Erik Gudbranson has had a rough start as is expected for most rookie defensemen in the nhl. While larssen and fowler basically hit the ground running, panthers fans agree there is definitely a learning curve for Erik.

Unfortunately, the biggest hinderance to Erik right now is playing alongside Ed Jovanovski. Who was brought in to help mentor Guds but his defense has been atrocious all season and sometimes i cant tell who is the rookie on that paring.

There is cause for optimism however. Erik is physical and is not afraid to throw the body around and has gotten into several scrums this season already (As my avatar suggests!). One on one Erik looks comfortable and is not afraid to go to battle along the boards.

Offensively, Erik is beginning to show his booming shot. If no one saw it, last night was Erik's first goal and it was a beauty of a slap shot which he posses.

You can tell right now, Erik is trying to play very simple and is treating the puck like a hot potato. Focus on quick clears and quick passes.

Overall, i think Erik will blossom into an elite defensemen in a couple of seasons. He needs more time on the ice and a better linemate and most panthers fans salivate at the idea of a Top pairing of Kulikov and Gudbranson in the near future.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
FinlandPanther

He's VERY raw. You can see the potential is there though. He's been having a little bit of trouble keeping up to the speed of the NHL thus far. However he seems to like the offensive part of the game which is what we like to see from a guy deemed to be a Defensive D. Great hard accurate first pass. Blistering shot as Lundqvist knows. He's also playing with Jovanovski which isn't helping him right now because Jovo well sucks. Hasn't been as physical as we know he can be, but he does not let you get to the net untouched. He just doesn't look as comfortable out there yet, but that will come with time.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan3131 View Post
How is he looking in florida so far, and is he ever going to live up to the expectations of the top defenceman drafted in the 2010 draft?
you can see his skills...physical, his shot is a ****ing cannon (scored last night on a missle from the point that beat lundqvist without a screen) and he skates pretty well for a big guy, but he's extremely raw. he has been pretty bad so far, last night he got embarrassed by derek stepan. but hes 19 years old....so it's waaayyyyyyy too early to give up on him yet.

truthfully, his game is in no-mans land. he's far too physically advanced to play in juniors, but not NHL ready yet. he belongs in the AHL right now, but because of that stupid rule he is not eligible to play there.

so for now, he'll continue to take his lumps in the nhl and hopefully improve as the season moves along. he strung a couple of decent games together recently, but was absolutely dreadful last night against the rangers. we'll see.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
you can see his skills...physical, his shot is a ****ing cannon (scored last night on a missle from the point that beat lundqvist without a screen)
That was definitely a screen, dude, a Rangers player skated directly in front of Lundqvist as the shot was taken. It was still a real nice shot however and going in off the post like that it's hard to say if the goalie would have gotten it even if he'd seen it

Quote:
truthfully, his game is in no-mans land. he's far too physically advanced to play in juniors, but not NHL ready yet. he belongs in the AHL right now, but because of that stupid rule he is not eligible to play there.
I'd agree from what I saw against the Rangers, he didn't seem quite mobile enough for the NHL yet and not smart enough to make up for it with positioning yet. All stuff that will come with time but just not quite there yet.

Was he hurt significantly or is he going to be back in tonight?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That was definitely a screen, dude, a Rangers player skated directly in front of Lundqvist as the shot was taken. It was still a real nice shot however and going in off the post like that it's hard to say if the goalie would have gotten it even if he'd seen it

I'd agree from what I saw against the Rangers, he didn't seem quite mobile enough for the NHL yet and not smart enough to make up for it with positioning yet. All stuff that will come with time but just not quite there yet.

Was he hurt significantly or is he going to be back in tonight?
disagree on both parts. lundqivst reacted as if he saw it the whole way, it just beat him.

and he's mobile enough to play in this league. he skates well for a big guy. he just doesn't read the play very well yet, the game is too fast for him.

the injury doesnt seem to be serious, but he's getting the night off tonight. ellerby, who honestly is a better player than guds is right now, is on the bench waiting for his turn, so theres no point in rushing gudbranson back even if the injury is minor.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
IslandersFan17

I love Gudbranson and think the kid is going to develop into an absolute beast.

You can tell Eric is going through some growing pains right now but has not looked totally lost.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:28 PM
rawpagans

Frankly he reminds me a lot of Chris Pronger when he broke in with Hartford. Raw, sometimes out of place, flashes of what could be to come. I am betting that Florida will not give up on Gudbranson like Hartford gave up in Pronger

rawpagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpagans View Post
Frankly he reminds me a lot of Chris Pronger when he broke in with Hartford. Raw, sometimes out of place, flashes of what could be to come. I am betting that Florida will not give up on Gudbranson like Hartford gave up in Pronger
Very similar. If Guds can turn into half the player pronger is, the panthers will have themselves an awesome defensemen for years to come.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Parise9Crosby87

its good to see the panthers defense turning to be solid

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:21 AM
ShootIt

Really would of been nice to have him play in the Ahl this year.
Hasn't looked bad, playing with little confidence though.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
JMac13

Anybody writing this kid off is in for a big surprise 10 years down the line. I know panthers fans have taken some flack from other teams posters about picking Guds over guys like Skinner or Johansen but this kid will be a beast in the league if given time to develop.

I had the pleasure of watching him a ton in Kingston (uncle is a STH) and he can be downright dominant. I absolutely love that he's got a mean streak you simply cannot teach and when he hits its to hurt to people.

I haven't been able to follow him much in Florida but people need to remember that Pronger was basically 24-25 before he started playing like the all star defenseman he is today. Erik isn't even 20 yet, and personally I can't wait to see what he develops into in 5 years.

JMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
you can see his skills...physical, his shot is a ****ing cannon (scored last night on a missle from the point that beat lundqvist without a screen) and he skates pretty well for a big guy, but he's extremely raw. he has been pretty bad so far, last night he got embarrassed by derek stepan. but hes 19 years old....so it's waaayyyyyyy too early to give up on him yet.

so for now, he'll continue to take his lumps in the nhl and hopefully improve as the season moves along. he strung a couple of decent games together recently, but was absolutely dreadful last night against the rangers. we'll see.
He wasn't embarrassed by him, he went towards the boards and Stepan went around him. Just didn't make the right play, Stepan was fortunate. He did a great reacting to Guds, but didn't embarrass him.

Way to early to give up on him? That's not remotely a thought in their heads. Why type that? They won't "give up on him" for 5 years if he doesn't improve at all. And that would be after having him play a few years in the AHL. However, his game is improving at the NHL level. No man's land? No, he just needs to let the game come to him. He's improving.

12-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac13 View Post
Anybody writing this kid off is in for a big surprise 10 years down the line. I know panthers fans have taken some flack from other teams posters about picking Guds over guys like Skinner or Johansen but this kid will be a beast in the league if given time to develop.

I had the pleasure of watching him a ton in Kingston (uncle is a STH) and he can be downright dominant. I absolutely love that he's got a mean streak you simply cannot teach and when he hits its to hurt to people.

I haven't been able to follow him much in Florida but people need to remember that Pronger was basically 24-25 before he started playing like the all star defenseman he is today. Erik isn't even 20 yet, and personally I can't wait to see what he develops into in 5 years.
Game is still fast for him, but it's starting to slow down, you can see it. He'll be fine. His mean streak is on pause while he learns the game at this level.

Skinner wasn't on the radar for No. 3 overall. Don't remember where Johanssen was, but I wanted Erik, was ecstatic that we got him, and believe he's going to be a stud in this League.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:38 AM
ColonialsHockey10

The textbook definition of a defenseman who should have been in junior again this season, because he was far from dominant, and then taken a year in the AHL.

He's got all the tools, but he's beyond raw. He doesn't belong in the NHL right now.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

Since Erik is now 6'4 and 195, how big he is projected?

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:37 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
Since Erik is now 6'4 and 195, how big he is projected?
Who knows? 6'4 220 by the time he packs on some more muscle. He's going to be a big, strong, mean dude and he has a lot of potential.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Stephen

Erik Gudbranson

There have been a lot of topics about ranking all the great young defensemen coming into the league, and I find it somewhat odd that Erik Gudbranson's name isn't coming up very often in the discussions anymore. I notice that he had a really poor numbers as a rookie, but that's hardly a comprehensive picture of where his game is currently at, though it might be a reason why the hype on him has died down around here. How is the 3rd overall pick from 2010 developing? Is he still on track or is he entering a phase where his upside is being reconsidered?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Stephen

Wow, so nobody knows about Gudbranson at all? It really does seem like he's fallen into a bit of a black hole down in Florida...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Don't kill the messenger, but here's some recent bad news about Gudbranson.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd have left him in junior another year. What's the rush?

09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

i still would have taken Cam Fowler at #3. the fact Fowler was taken #12 was a joke! for that matter Brandon Gormley at #13 was a joke too! i like Gudbranson, but i feel he should have been taken after Fowler and Gormley, but that's just my opinion.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
I think to judge or to speculate on a player after his rookie season, especially a 19-year old defenseman who everyone knew was still raw, is a difficult task. Especially regarding his offensive potential, since Florida didn't play him in offensive situations. His rookie season was all about learning the defensive game.

I think the positive is the fact that he started the year getting around 12 minutes or less per game, but ended up getting around 17 or so by season's end and in the playoffs. That suggests he improved enough over the course of the year that his coaches' confidence in him grew, enabling the coaches to go from giving him sheltered minutes to giving him tougher minutes against better opposition as the year went on.

Hopefully the shoulder surgery doesn't set back his development. It's a bit of a concern given the type of game Gudbranson plays. How will a shoulder injury affect his physical game? Will he be able to play a robust, bang 'em, crash 'em style? Or will he have to be a bit more conservative with his physical play?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Bad news about the shoulder surgery, I love the way Gudbranson plays. Like STK mentioned, I hope it doesn't change his style of play. After the rehab though, it may take him some time to get over the mental hump also which can take a while.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote