HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Most underrated Ranger... by Rangers fans

Old
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
robwrx04

vCash: 500
Sean Avery when he played

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
I think you read the title wrong. It says underrated.

In my 25 years of following the Rangers, Sean Avery was the most overrated player by the fanbase I'd ever seen. It wasnt even close.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
robwrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you read the title wrong. It says underrated.

In my 25 years of following the Rangers, Sean Avery was the most overrated player by the fanbase I'd ever seen. It wasnt even close.
I believe he was overrated in some points in his career, but for the past 2 years, he was underrated.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Guy brings it on himself. He scores goals, but most of the time between the goals he disappears.

Hopefully now that Nash is around it won't matter as much, but come on, a lot of his criticism is warranted.

No one wants him to injure himself or throw his body infront of shots, but skate like you have some urgency.
futunately for him, and us, theres not a whole lot of that time

one of the best scorers in the game...considerably underrated here

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
I truly agree with this statement.

I for one severely underrate his ability to go offsides and take stupid penalties.

The love a 3rd liner has gotten, and continues to get, is mind-boggling sometimes.

I hoped on the Avery train in the beginning too, but the act got really old fairly quickly.

09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

psh zucc was def more underrated than avery.

sean wasn't underrated. some fans just didn't like him. he got plenty of praise though. i think he was a good 3rd liner.

in the last 2 years he played here he did fine outside of ridiculous off-sides that threw us games and the occasional stupid penalty(penalties which were more the refs sick of him than anything he actually was doing wrong in the final two seasons).

when your reputation precedes you to the point that refs are making phantom calls against you, then you had better play flawless in your own end-- something sean wasn't at all flawless at... all he really could do in the last two seasons was hold the puck behind the net and attempt the same wraparound-- half the time risking losing the puck down the middle of the ice.

i liked sean, but underrated? not even close. most people who actually watched the hockey aspect knew he was better than christensen.
ZUC on the other hand i think was severely underrated at times. inc flack

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
robwrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
psh zucc was def more underrated than avery.

sean wasn't underrated. some fans just didn't like him. he got plenty of praise though. i think he was a good 3rd liner.

in the last 2 years he played here he did fine outside of ridiculous off-sides that threw us games and the occasional stupid penalty(penalties which were more the refs sick of him than anything he actually was doing wrong in the final two seasons).

when your reputation precedes you to the point that refs are making phantom calls against you, then you had better play flawless in your own end-- something sean wasn't at all flawless at... all he really could do in the last two seasons was hold the puck behind the net and attempt the same wraparound-- half the time risking losing the puck down the middle of the ice.

i liked sean, but underrated? not even close. most people who actually watched the hockey aspect knew he was better than christensen.
ZUC on the other hand i think was severely underrated at times. inc flack
Yeah, I stand corrected. I just think too many people didn't like him.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

While watching your team during the latter parts of the regular season and the post-season, I'd say Girardi. Just seemed to be mr.everything.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:04 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Not going to read the thread and then post.

My most underrated Rangers player is Brian Boyle.

I underrate him constantly.

He's better than I give him credit for I admit.

With the way he plays the game, I'm left wanting more from him due in large part to his size.

It's not his style, but I want more physicality from him in terms of punishing defenders on the forecheck and more than a handful of fighting majors. I'd like double digit fights from him.

Otherwise, he's a below average 3rd liner, but great 4th liner.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:10 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Historically, Girardi, through his hole creer. Including the nonsense about letting Gaborik be a man and fight his own fight.
Had Gabby been fighting Briere or Giroux, I would agree with you.

However, you never let a useless goon like Carcillo pound your top guy.

No one would have allowed that to happen to Leetch back in the mid 90's.

in fact, no one would have allowed that to happen to Messier and Messier could fight.

No one can ever change my opinion on that situation and that is Girardi fudged up in that instance.

He redeemed himself the following season, but in that moment, he made the wrong decision.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Barnaby

1. Brian Boyle.

2. Marc Staal - although that will change quickly when he comes out to start the season at 100% with a full summer (sadly, maybe more) of training.

3. Jeff Gorton. He can get left out of the Sather/Clarke conversations, and I get the feeling that he plays a very large role in the organization.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
Scott Gomez.

Put up 70 points first season (2nd behind Jagr) and 58 points in second season (tied team lead). Most of the time he ended up on the 2nd line, and 2nd PP unit. Compare this to Brad Richards 66 points while playing with Gaborik and was always on the first PP unit. Also made the playoffs both seasons, where he was a point below averaging a point-per-game.

70 points is the second most points Gomez has put up in his career, the most was 84, the season following the lockout.
58 was 2 points less than the 60 he recorded the season prior to signing with the Rangers.
He led the team in assists both season - why he was brought in.
Led the team in GWG his second season, when a team needed a clutch scorer after Jagr left.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:32 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Marian Gaborik...so ridiculously underrated...and more importantly, under APPRECIATED.
Spot On.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Spot On.
I agree with that. He does so much but people jump on him because he isn't a tough guy.

OT But I watched a video from your youtube page (or I think it was you) where you went to the isles draft party a few yrs ago. Gold.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
scott gomez.

Put up 70 points first season (2nd behind jagr) and 58 points in second season (tied team lead). Most of the time he ended up on the 2nd line, and 2nd pp unit. Compare this to brad richards 66 points while playing with gaborik and was always on the first pp unit. Also made the playoffs both seasons, where he was a point below averaging a point-per-game.

70 points is the second most points gomez has put up in his career, the most was 84, the season following the lockout.
58 was 2 points less than the 60 he recorded the season prior to signing with the rangers.
Led the team in gwg his second season, when a team needed a clutch scorer after jagr left.
11/10

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Scott Gomez.

Put up 70 points first season (2nd behind Jagr) and 58 points in second season (tied team lead). Most of the time he ended up on the 2nd line, and 2nd PP unit. Compare this to Brad Richards 66 points while playing with Gaborik and was always on the first PP unit. Also made the playoffs both seasons, where he was a point below averaging a point-per-game.

70 points is the second most points Gomez has put up in his career, the most was 84, the season following the lockout.
58 was 2 points less than the 60 he recorded the season prior to signing with the Rangers.
Led the team in GWG his second season, when a team needed a clutch scorer after Jagr left.
I also have to agree. Scott was such a weird player. He'd look so awful, yet he'd put up points consistently. But he single handily won a playoff series in 08 vs. the Devils.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:51 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Brian Boyle - He stepped up his game and made Brandon Dubinsky expendable.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I also have to agree. Scott was such a weird player. He'd look so awful, yet he'd put up points consistently. But he single handily won a playoff series in 08 vs. the Devils.
I think Avery was a major part of us winning that series.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Michael Sauer

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Easily Del Zotto.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Michael Sauer
When healthy....yes. Most certainly.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:24 PM
freewheeler

Underrated: Gaborik. Easily one of my favorite Rangers ever. I feel lucky to be able to watch him every game. Before he got injured, I felt this was his best year for the Rangers by far. I just don't see the negative others do. I wonder sometimes if New Yorkers just can't handle introverted or reserved athletes.

Overrated: a thousand times, Brad Richards. People talk about Gabby being poor away from the puck...I am amazed at what Richards is able to get away with while "analysts" and fans focus on the 1 or 2 of his admittedly creative plays a game. He's your mens league cherry-picker, with no speed or shot, or size - some finish though.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:26 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
John Mitchell

Boyle.
I guess you were being sarcastic with Mitchell, but I'd put him second. I suppose that validates my point that he was underrated. I was bent when we lost him.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote