HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

cchl 2012-2013 season

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Me Me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
I was there for the whole game, but only saw 3/5ths of it last night in Rink B. I could not see into the near side corners in each end from my spot standing just to the right of center. If you sit, it is even worse. Sound system is useless. And the recording of Oh Canada was actually so pain full I shut my hearing aid off. One advantage from being old.

On the plus side, no one was collecting money on the Rink B side so I can't complain too much about about free. I might go to game tomorrow that was not in budget.
Well you where lucky to see that much I paid 4#0.00 to see someone head and you where lucky to get Oh canada there was nun at this came and no one could even find a canadian flag in that rink B. I think at christmas one I will not go if the teams play in that rink and I think alot of other people are the same. Don't no how the scouts think because they could see either. Bad Bad rink

Old
09-09-2012, 06:19 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
took in some more good games today:

Ottawa surprised a bit today and Jenkins wasnt sharp for cornwall.
Brockville pounded on Kanata but I think it would have been a different game had lane been in net from the start
Nepean and Hawks game was good and Norris is just a great player, pure scorer. However it looked as though Nepean lacked the depth of last year and their D were a bit week after there top 2
Pembroke's win wasnt a surprise, but it certainly showed us that Kemptville has truly improved.
Cumberland/Smiths falls game was an exciting game to watch however the defence was terrible on both teams.
What are you talking about? According to Pointstreak, Lane played the first 2 periods and let in all 7 goals. St. Germain (16 years old) came in for the third and stopped all 18 shots he faced.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:43 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
What are you talking about? According to Pointstreak, Lane played the first 2 periods and let in all 7 goals. St. Germain (16 years old) came in for the third and stopped all 18 shots he faced.
That's correct

Old
09-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
It takes a doublepad to run the event which eliminates Rockland and probably SF (since not really connected). Places I can think of that have at least one good Jr A calibre pad plus at least one other with decent seating/standing room are Nepean Sportsplex, Orleans Rec, Barret Arena, Bell Sensplex, Jim Durrell, Carleton U, Kemptville or Carleton Place. IMO others like Walter Baker and GRC (really nice facility nowthat second pad added) are even suitable, the seating in both those locations is far better than KRC-B. I think CP and Kemp probably eliminated because of lack of hotel space for Scouts.
No it doesn't. They have 2 pads as well.

Good list of locations there to work with. Rockland's 2nd pad is almost a carbon copy of the secondary rink at Carleton.. CIHA would be my first choice to host the showcase because of the calibre of the facility. Haven't been to the 2nd rink in Goulbourn yet but I hear it's nice. I like that complex so it could definitely be another option. Barrett and the Sensplex also work but I'm pretty sure the Sensplex hosts a AAA tournament this weekend so ice would be limited.

I'd eliminate Orleans and Jim Durrell because of the 2nd ice pads. Obviously Peplinski works but the Walkley arena is just brutal. Manley Arena at ORC is a figure skating rink for the most part with limited seating.. would stay away from there as well.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:05 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
No it doesn't. They have 2 pads as well.

Good list of locations there to work with. Rockland's 2nd pad is almost a carbon copy of the secondary rink at Carleton.. CIHA would be my first choice to host the showcase because of the calibre of the facility. Haven't been to the 2nd rink in Goulbourn yet but I hear it's nice. I like that complex so it could definitely be another option. Barrett and the Sensplex also work but I'm pretty sure the Sensplex hosts a AAA tournament this weekend so ice would be limited.

I'd eliminate Orleans and Jim Durrell because of the 2nd ice pads. Obviously Peplinski works but the Walkley arena is just brutal. Manley Arena at ORC is a figure skating rink for the most part with limited seating.. would stay away from there as well.
As nice a rink as Rockland's might be, it's just too damn far away. I can't imagine too many west end fans making the trek.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:04 AM
upinarms

Have the showcase in ( ie: SF, B'ville, Pemb, Cornwall, etc ) Have all games on one ice pad. Play two 25 minute periods. Start earlier in day on Sat and Sun. Quicker games would make scouts happier I assume. Rotate it throughout league every year. Make sure wherever it is held has a copy of national anthem, two goal lights that work, and a PA system you can understand. That is the only criteria required.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
As nice a rink as Rockland's might be, it's just too damn far away. I can't imagine too many west end fans making the trek.
Barret arena would be best...it has the most seating space on both arenas.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Have the showcase in ( ie: SF, B'ville, Pemb, Cornwall, etc ) Have all games on one ice pad. Play two 25 minute periods. Start earlier in day on Sat and Sun. Quicker games would make scouts happier I assume. Rotate it throughout league every year. Make sure wherever it is held has a copy of national anthem, two goal lights that work, and a PA system you can understand. That is the only criteria required.
I'm not sure where they will have it, but I can garauntee you that it won't be back at the KRC and thank God for that. I over heard that this was that last year of a contract they were obligated to finish. Anything would be better!!

I disagree though with your first statement...You can't shorten the games up for the sake of the scouts....these are regular season games that count and need to be played as such....besides, I am pretty sure any scout worth his weight wants to see what kids can grind it out in a game late in the 3rd of a tight game or a blow out....the cream rises to the top and a shortened game doesn't give you a true indication of a players worth...Just my opinion!

It was a good weekend of hockey though, minus some of the stripes....man were some of the games over called...some new comers trying to show their authority I guess....more than a few frustrated coaches!

Old
09-10-2012, 01:17 PM
hockieguy

Showcase Games

I watched the Kemptville and was impressed with a coupkle of the new players. I really liked the way Snow plays. He really is patient with the puck and moves it out of his zone pretty quick. He has good vision.

I also like St. Marseille as well. He didn't get a lot of ice but he looks like he is pretty physical. He threw a couple of really hard hits, and he moves the puch really well. Kemptville scored within a few shifts of him throwing a big hit. I don't think I would mess around with him either. He is thick! I saw him in the lobby, and couldnt beleive how thick he is. I am going to watch this guy as well.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
MacM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Barret arena would be best...it has the most seating space on both arenas.
And easy to get to from any direction.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:35 PM
CJHL SUPPORTER

The Ottawa Junior Senators and the Hawkesbury Hawks have asked for an inquiry into why the Sunday’s Showcase game was cancelled and why it was rescheduled to favour the elite teams of the CCHL (Cornwall, Nepean & Pembroke).

Although every player in the CCHL pays the same league fees, the Ottawa Junior Senators and the Hawkesbury Hawks money appears to be no good.

The optics does not look good.

To bring everyone up to speed, somehow in this major event that was to showcase the CCHL hockey league to several NCAA, CIS & NHL scouts they somehow managed to get into a situation where they double booked the ice.

The commissioner of the leagues official response was “DOH”. To error is human.

The ice was forfeited to a bunch of hardworking 13 year old kids and the commissioner lost the dispute. The dispute was resolved by an arm wrestling contest between the commissioner and a representative of the 13 year old hockey team. The 34 year old female trainer of these young kids had big biceps and easily overwhelmed the commissioner.

The commissioner had at lease two choices.
1) Cancel the Ottawa Junior Senator vs Hawkesbury Hawks game and reschedule it at the Christmas showcase. The opportunity to get initially on a scouts radar would forever be lost. OR
2) Move up the Carleton Gloucester game, play the OJS vs Hawkesbury Hawk game immediately after a reduced warm up and have the Cornwall and Nepean game follow this game. This way everyone would win and everyone would be treated as equal.

Some of the Nepean parents were so adamant with the commissioner that the time of their game should not be changed because their little Johnny must be seen at all cost by the scouts. It appears that they have a lot of clout with the commissioner.

The spirit of the showcase was to give everyone an equal opportunity to have ice and be scouted, and if deserving, get on some scouts radar.
This opportunity is forever lost to the member of the OJS and Hawkesbury Hawks.

Same league fees should imply same exposure.

Shame on you commissioner.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
ORRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHL SUPPORTER View Post
The Ottawa Junior Senators and the Hawkesbury Hawks have asked for an inquiry into why the Sunday’s Showcase game was cancelled and why it was rescheduled to favour the elite teams of the CCHL (Cornwall, Nepean & Pembroke).

Although every player in the CCHL pays the same league fees, the Ottawa Junior Senators and the Hawkesbury Hawks money appears to be no good.

To bring everyone up to speed, somehow in this major event that was to showcase the CCHL hockey league to several NCAA, CIS & NHL scouts they somehow managed to get into a situation where they double booked the ice.

The ice was forfeited to a bunch of hardworking 13 year old kids and the commissioner lost the dispute. The dispute was resolved by an arm wrestling contest between the commissioner and a representative of the 13 year old hockey team. The 34 year old female trainer of these young kids had big biceps and easily overwhelmed the commissioner.

1) Cancel the Ottawa Junior Senator vs Hawkesbury Hawks game and reschedule it at the Christmas showcase. The opportunity to get initially on a scouts radar would forever be lost. OR
2) Move up the Carleton Gloucester game, play the OJS vs Hawkesbury Hawk game immediately after a reduced warm up and have the Cornwall and Nepean game follow this game. This way everyone would win and everyone would be treated as equal.

Some of the Nepean parents were so adamant with the commissioner that the time of their game should not be changed because their little Johnny must be seen at all cost by the scouts. It appears that they have a lot of clout with the commissioner.

The spirit of the showcase was to give everyone an equal opportunity to have ice and be scouted, and if deserving, get on some scouts radar.

Not a huge fan of "the commissioner". That being said, I thought all booking was done through thecity of Ottawa booking system. Thus the double booking should have never happened. SO... since the showcase has been in the works for some time, then what happened?
Losers are the Ottawa and Hawksbury players from getting a second look .

Old
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRT View Post
Not a huge fan of "the commissioner". That being said, I thought all booking was done through thecity of Ottawa booking system. Thus the double booking should have never happened. SO... since the showcase has been in the works for some time, then what happened?
Losers are the Ottawa and Hawksbury players from getting a second look .
Ice can not be "double booked" with the City of Ottawa. Somebody screwed up, and when that happens the man with the contract in hand is King. Been there, done that.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Rangersfan21

anyone at nepean/cornwall game? bit surprised by the outcome

Old
09-10-2012, 02:40 PM
ZebraCritic

Quote:

ALthough I can sympathize with both teams and especially the players of both teams, and will say this does not look good on the league as a whole, What you wrote is wholey inaccurate and in some ways laughable....

This had nothing to do with elite teams getting special treatment or the league trying to keep scouts from seeing the Hawks or the Jr. Sens!!

I am not affiliated with the league and in no way am I trying to excuse them for what happened, but to my knowlege it was a scheduling error plain and simple. I beleive Nepean and Cornwall were already scheduled on the big surface so your comment about Nepean parents is ridiculous!...Who ever was reponsible should get their butt kicked but your conspiracy theories don't hold water.....If you can show me some evidence that the leauge was trying to hold back these 2 teams i and I am sure the rest of us would welcome it....

Looks bad on the league, but doesnt take away from a great weekend of Jr. A hockey!!

Old
09-10-2012, 03:02 PM
CJHL SUPPORTER

Commisioner should apologies to the kids

Although you may be correct in that it is a scheduling error.

It is not clear on how hard the commissioner attempted to resolve this issue with the conflicting parties.

The commissioner is supposed to represent the whole league and if it cost x number of dollars to resolve this scenario then he should have paid it and the league should have shared the penalty amongst all teams in the league.

What an embarrassement to Ottawa hockey. We book this tournament in a second class facility that in not viewer friendly and then we can't even schedule a handfull of games.

Where is the professionalism?

Even with these screw ups. The president had a chance to redeem himself and show non partisan favouristism and allow all teams to play on Sunday yet he bowed to the wealthy owners/parents of Cornwall and Nepean.

Dont be fooled. Look at the previous actions of the president. Little Brent Norris from the Nepean raiders returns last year with his head between his legs after a non performing season in the USHL and he is automatically relegated to the Allstar game. His choice was not based on performance (he played a handful of games) yet was awarded a place on the allstar team based on his reputation. What about the other twenty or thirty guys that deserved to be on the allstar team. Dont get me going or I will list several examples of the commissioner favourism.

This is the CCHL not the Cornwall/Nepean/Pembroke hockey league.

The OJS are Hawkesbury Hawks are not getting the representation they need from the commissioner. They paid to be treated as equals.

There were a number of players on both OJS are Hawkesbury Hawks squads that sat out the first game and had dreams of playing in the second game. You have only one chance to make and impression and for these poor kids the once in a lifetime opportunity. The commissioner should apologies to each of these kids and resign in embarassement.

This is all what is wrong with amateur hockey in Ottawa.

As Don Cherry once said "How can we soar with the eagles when you are dealing with a bunch of turkies"

Old
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
overtheboards

Quote:

What would he have done if it was PLK playing in that game ? Bet the money too buy the ice time from the minor hockey team would of came out . How embarrassing is it that you call and email scouts from the ncaa , nhl and ohl too come to your showcase and you have a game bumped for a minor hockey tryout . Sens and Hawks should make the league rent the Scotiabank Place and play the game there .

Old
09-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Ottawa Guy

CJHL SUPPORTER: I believe the rule is that you can not play for the team from the day you were traded away from a team for at least 12 months (or 13 months), not that you have to sit out when traded back. Mulder was traded from Nepean to Kemptville on Sept 6, 2011, he played again for Nepean on Sept 8, 2012 which is more than 12 months.........the only way the rule was broken is if it states more than 12 months.....I have heard of the rule but never seen it in writing so I can not comment on the exact length it should be....

Old
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
CJHL SUPPORTER: I believe the rule is that you can not play for the team from the day you were traded away from a team for at least 12 months (or 13 months), not that you have to sit out when traded back. Mulder was traded from Nepean to Kemptville on Sept 6, 2011, he played again for Nepean on Sept 8, 2012 which is more than 12 months.........the only way the rule was broken is if it states more than 12 months.....I have heard of the rule but never seen it in writing so I can not comment on the exact length it should be....
Are you saying that the Cigarette Smoking Man isn't involved in this?

Old
09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
If the CCHL bothers you so much, I suggest you move on and find another hobby.

Mulder was acquired to simply give Brind'Amour a chance to play more. They could have easily just kept Brind'Amour or Couvrette, who got a shut out yesterday.

An ineligible backup goalie? Give me a break.
Brind'Amour was the final part of the Hutton trade.....

Old
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
hardfacts

Are we really talking about this....it has been held at this facility for a while know and its filled with fans and scouts every year....so the facility is not great...cant be that bad if the scouts keep coming....

Old
09-10-2012, 07:21 PM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Although you may be correct in that it is a scheduling error.

It is not clear on how hard the commissioner attempted to resolve this issue with the conflicting parties.

The commissioner is supposed to represent the whole league and if it cost x number of dollars to resolve this scenario then he should have paid it and the league should have shared the penalty amongst all teams in the league.

What an embarrassement to Ottawa hockey. We book this tournament in a second class facility that in not viewer friendly and then we can't even schedule a handfull of games.

Where is the professionalism?

Even with these screw ups. The president had a chance to redeem himself and show non partisan favouristism and allow all teams to play on Sunday yet he bowed to the wealthy owners/parents of Cornwall and Nepean.

Dont be fooled. Look at the previous actions of the president. Little Brent Norris from the Nepean raiders returns last year with his head between his legs after a non performing season in the USHL and he is automatically relegated to the Allstar game. His choice was not based on performance (he played a handful of games) yet was awarded a place on the allstar team based on his reputation. What about the other twenty or thirty guys that deserved to be on the allstar team. Dont get me going or I will list several examples of the commissioner favourism.

This is the CCHL not the Cornwall/Nepean/Pembroke hockey league.

The OJS are Hawkesbury Hawks are not getting the representation they need from the commissioner. They paid to be treated as equals.

There were a number of players on both OJS are Hawkesbury Hawks squads that sat out the first game and had dreams of playing in the second game. You have only one chance to make and impression and for these poor kids the once in a lifetime opportunity. The commissioner should apologies to each of these kids and resign in embarassement.

This is all what is wrong with amateur hockey in Ottawa.

As Don Cherry once said "How can we soar with the eagles when you are dealing with a bunch of turkies"
Sadly your issue here is strictly with the Commish...which is fine, but go preach to a different choir....how bout we chat about the great game the OJS played or all the other On ice related things that happened over the weekend!

Old
09-10-2012, 07:47 PM
raz

What this use to be.

Hi
Its been a long long time since i posted on this site and for those that remember me, you know who you are, , i tend to get a little long winded .
For those who don't and most likely won't want to hear from me, oh well.

Long time Pembroke fan, and i have to admit i miss the days of posting on this board. This used to be such an excellent place to learn whats going on in the games, the fans would talk about there favorite teams and for the most part it was about cheering on your team. We would learn about trades, talk about whether it was good or not, hint at who might get traded. Of course back then i was always trying to get the best players to come to Pembroke, silly me i was biased.

We also would speak about the respect of the other teams players and the rivalries and then as Jan 10 came around and the deals were made we would get all hepped up about our chances. Of course then there would be the drive for positioning and we would share who we would think would finnish in what place etc etc.

Well i came back to enjoy the showcase and i was pleasantly surprised at some of the excellent players the different teams have. Also noted how competetive everyone is and personally i think there will be a lot of games where teams win at home on any given night, even if they are playing against the Lumberkings, Braves, Raiders or Colts.

So i wish all the teams in the league a great year!!!

Having said this the one thing i noticed reading the last two weeks of posts this weekend, the posts are very negative many times, not much said about the games, which means probably a lot of posters werent at the showcase this weekend. I hope you all get back to talking about your teams in a positive opinion, whats good about them, who is an up and comer too watch for, who you would love to see traded to your team and enter some game information after you see the next game.

Forget about the League policies, commissioner, ownership, 15 and 16 year olds, blasting someone else's opinion and post what your opinion is in response on a more responsive openess to hear someone elses's opinion. More like a dialogue not a vengeful (not sure if thats a word) retaliation.

OK got that off my chest, feels goooood! Now fire a way i'm ready, haha.

Go Lumberkings, think they have a fast team this year, think they could use a little more size up front, but back end looks good and goalies, both, look like they will be strong enough to keep the Lumberkings in every night.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:33 PM
BadgerKnight

Kings Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
Go Lumberkings, think they have a fast team this year, think they could use a little more size up front, but back end looks good and goalies, both, look like they will be strong enough to keep the Lumberkings in every night.
Saw the Kings twice this weekend & fully concur that they exhibit a lot of speed. Both goalies are good - great pickups. The additions of Harper & Drouin will be ensuring that the Kings PP is deadly and Hart adds a powerful shot. Yes, some forward combinations are small but they work well together. But, the Kings can also send out other combinations that have good size. Against Kemptville, I was surprised by the close score but then very surprised at the ease the Kings won over the Braves. IMO, the Kings will be a frontrunner in the league.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:09 PM
hockieguy

Kemptville Additions.

Did anyone else see the Kemptville additions this weekend, and what are their thoughts on these players.

Also, Pembroke has a new player, a Niagara draft pick named Ryan Erickson. any news on him?

Closed Thread