HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver - San Jose

Old
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Hansen + Schroeder for Clowe + 2nd?

Meh, I don't like giving that up yet, I could maybe see this as a deadline deal, but for now I want to see how Kassian develops. Hopefully he will get some prime ice time and starts making an impact.
Schroeder isn't worth much more than a 2nd rounder, so that's really a no-go from the Sharks.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Schroeder isn't worth much more than a 2nd rounder, so that's really a no-go from the Sharks.
Alright. I just don't want to give up youth. I'd like to extend our window as long as possible. I think we have a bigger need for Schroeder, too.

We'll just have to trust that Gillis knew what he was doing trading for Kassian.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Alright. I just don't want to give up youth. I'd like to extend our window as long as possible. I think we have a bigger need for Schroeder, too.

We'll just have to trust that Gillis knew what he was doing trading for Kassian.
Your window ends as soon as the Sedins stop being elite first line scorers. You don't have the youth to do anything but win-now.

As far as Hodgson-Kassian goes, I'm really unsure about what Gillis was thinking. I'm not a fan of Hodgson and he was playing some sheltered minutes, but he also showed that he had offensive talent and playmaking ability and that he could score points in the NHL. I've seen lots of Canucks fans turn really hard on Hodgson, saying that he would have gotten destroyed in the playoffs and that Gillis made a good trade, but Kassian plays just as sheltered minutes, and he can't score. I know he's a bit younger and his type of player takes longer to develop, but from watching him I honestly see very little offensive upside. We'll see.

Old
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM
CanuckLuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Your window ends as soon as the Sedins stop being elite first line scorers. You don't have the youth to do anything but win-now.

As far as Hodgson-Kassian goes, I'm really unsure about what Gillis was thinking. I'm not a fan of Hodgson and he was playing some sheltered minutes, but he also showed that he had offensive talent and playmaking ability and that he could score points in the NHL. I've seen lots of Canucks fans turn really hard on Hodgson, saying that he would have gotten destroyed in the playoffs and that Gillis made a good trade, but Kassian plays just as sheltered minutes, and he can't score. I know he's a bit younger and his type of player takes longer to develop, but from watching him I honestly see very little offensive upside. We'll see.
Wow really? Kassian hasn't proved anything but to not even SEE the upside is shocking. Perhaps watch a little closer. Kassian has good smarts and speed. Apparently his offense is good enough to produce at a PPG pace in the AHL in his first year as well.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I see a great deal of upside in Kassian. In particular, his vision and puck protection abilities. But potential isn't everything...

At the time of the trade, I disliked the value returned. Hodgson seemed a far more polished asset. Still, you have to grow a player like Kassian as the realized form of a skilled PF is seldom available. So to me, he's got the potential. I'm just not sure he gets there - that's my concern.

As to this thread - I'll just say that I've always like Marleau. Would take him on the Canucks any day.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
San Jose
Jannik Hansen
Chris Tanev

Vancouver
Ryane Clowe
Douglas Murray

Booth Kesler Clowe
Higgins Lapierre Kassian (awesome grind line)

And then a
Ballard/Murray 3rd pairing.
Neither team does this. Vancouvers aging team gets older, meanwhile the combination of Hansen and Tanev would not be as effective as Murray and Clowe.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Wow really? Kassian hasn't proved anything but to not even SEE the upside is shocking. Perhaps watch a little closer. Kassian has good smarts and speed. Apparently his offense is good enough to produce at a PPG pace in the AHL in his first year as well.
It's just me, I guess. I personally don't see much, but I've often been wrong and obviously I don't watch him nightly like Canucks fans do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
At the time of the trade, I disliked the value returned. Hodgson seemed a far more polished asset. Still, you have to grow a player like Kassian as the realized form of a skilled PF is seldom available. So to me, he's got the potential. I'm just not sure he gets there - that's my concern.
I would agree with you. Kassian has very high upside, and his type of player is extremely rare in the NHL. But it is very questionable that he'll reach it. But regardless, he's going to take some time before he's anything but a 4th liner. He doesn't have the talent at this point to play a top-6 role, and he's not good enough defensively for a third line role (presuming the Canucks go with a shutdown type of third line).

Old
09-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I would agree with you. Kassian has very high upside, and his type of player is extremely rare in the NHL. But it is very questionable that he'll reach it. But regardless, he's going to take some time before he's anything but a 4th liner. He doesn't have the talent at this point to play a top-6 role, and he's not good enough defensively for a third line role (presuming the Canucks go with a shutdown type of third line).

The talent is there. No question about it. The conversion isn't. But you don't often see bigger players be able to make tight passes and generally handle the puck like he does. I don't have to be a Kassian booster to see that. He's got the tools, but is he going to put it together? That's the question.

Besides, I'm not sure you can grow talent? It's innate.

What they need to do is refine his game, focus it. A great way to do that is to get him to drop weight and play at a higher pace for longer. Which he is doing now.

Ideally, he's that playmaker beside Kesler. We'll see if he gets there.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
FAMOUSfin

I don't know how Kassian is expected to improve as a scoring forward when he plays on a line that has 20% o-zone starts.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote