HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I know, and I remember TPS's comment.

I meant how does that end up happening that Little found out about the Avs interest?
Perhaps a deal was "all but done" and Little was told, or Little's agent was told?

I personally don't think that we've seen the last of the Avs' attempts to acquire him. We all know that they usually get the guy they want. I don't necessarily think it'll be this season, but I could see them re-visiting talks with Winnipeg again for a possible deal down the road.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I guess I could see them trying to acquire Little if they were planning on moving one of the centers for an upgrade on D.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:33 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Wasn't Little's best season when he was playing Right Wing? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Old
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Perhaps a deal was "all but done" and Little was told, or Little's agent was told?

I personally don't think that we've seen the last of the Avs' attempts to acquire him. We all know that they usually get the guy they want. I don't necessarily think it'll be this season, but I could see them re-visiting talks with Winnipeg again for a possible deal down the road.
We're obviously getting into a guessing game, but from the sounds of it he knew the Avs were interested in him for a while. That would negate the possibility of him finding out at the last minute. Kinda odd. Maybe these things just get out among players or agents somehow. Doesn't seem very Avalanche like though.

I don't understand why the Avs would be that interested in general, let alone interested for a long time. They already have plenty of average to undersized center prospects that could potentially put up Little's 40-50 points a season. Why do they have to have a player like that. I don't get the obsession.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:45 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
We're obviously getting into a guessing game, but from the sounds of it he knew the Avs were interested in him for a while. That would negate the possibility of him finding out at the last minute. Kinda odd. Maybe these things just get out among players or agents somehow. Doesn't seem very Avalanche like though.

I don't understand why the Avs would be that interested in general, let alone interested for a long time. They already have plenty of average to undersized center prospects that could potentially put up Little's 40-50 points a season. Why do they have to have a player like that. I don't get the obsession.
Maybe they believe that he has some untapped potential? I mean, and this is no offense to the new staff in Winnipeg, but I'm not sure that he was brought along properly in Atlanta.

But the Avs do have a "type" right now, they are targeting hard working, character guys. Perpahs Little fits that mold, but you're right, we're getting more into speculation at this point.

It still wouldn't surprise me if we were to acquire him in the next couple of years. Then again, perhaps the Avs feel that the "ship has sailed" so to speak? From what we know from TPS, Ottawa was VERY interested in both Jones and Galiardi around this year's trade deadline, perhaps Winnipeg was as well. And with Jones just having re-signed, it's not likely that we'll trade him this year.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:54 PM
NHL33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Wasn't Little's best season when he was playing Right Wing? Or am I thinking of someone else?
No, you're correct. That season Little scored the highest number of goals in his career I believe.

Old
09-09-2012, 09:46 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Maybe they believe that he has some untapped potential? I mean, and this is no offense to the new staff in Winnipeg, but I'm not sure that he was brought along properly in Atlanta.

But the Avs do have a "type" right now, they are targeting hard working, character guys. Perpahs Little fits that mold, but you're right, we're getting more into speculation at this point.

It still wouldn't surprise me if we were to acquire him in the next couple of years. Then again, perhaps the Avs feel that the "ship has sailed" so to speak? From what we know from TPS, Ottawa was VERY interested in both Jones and Galiardi around this year's trade deadline, perhaps Winnipeg was as well. And with Jones just having re-signed, it's not likely that we'll trade him this year.
Perhaps they were pursuing Little at the same time they were trying to acquire McGinn in case the McGinn trade fell through. As you said just speculation.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:57 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Curious question.

I know Stastny's value with prove players, but what if we traded him for Morgan Reilly? Would that a fair value, or would we have to add; same with Toronto?

Old
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Curious question.

I know Stastny's value with prove players, but what if we traded him for Morgan Reilly? Would that a fair value, or would we have to add; same with Toronto?
Not a chance I do it 1 for 1.

Reilly may have a promising future, but he's not worth rolling the dice on becoming a top pairing defender in 3+ years at the expense of our current #1 center.

I feel like the lockerroom would take a huge hit, especially if Stastny left for some prospect and nothing else.

Old
09-10-2012, 04:31 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

So...a member of H0ckeyy 1nsiderr's "Rumor Dream Team" has written a rumor blog about the Sabres being interested in Stastny, even saying that the Avs have interest in Ennis/Vanek, but that the Sabres would be more willing to part with Ennis/Stafford, and that we could also be after Sekera...

We REALLY need the NHL to avoid a lockout.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Drizzt1

[QUOTE=RockLobster;54224289]So...a member of H0ckeyy 1nsiderr's "Rumor Dream Team" has written a rumor blog about the Sabres being interested in Stastny, even saying that the Avs have interest in Ennis/Vanek, but that the Sabres would be more willing to part with Ennis/Stafford, and that we could also be after Sekera...

If we are trading Stazz to the The Sabres, I'd say they'd want to keep Vanek to play with him.

We most CERTAINLY do not need another short-arse center in Tyler Ennis to replace Stazz, because we already have Olver, Sgarbossa and Hishon that could potentially fill that role.

We need a player like Erhoff on our team at defence, but there is no way in God's Green Earth Sherman touches a contract like that - especially with what's going on with the current EBA.

Therefore, the one and only player I'd have interest in on The Sabres at present would be Tyler Myers, and honestly, that is something I might contemplate. We'd of coarse need to send a defensemen their way as well, as we'd have too many roster spots filled.

Ideally, that defensemen would be Jan Hejda - big body to replace big body. Therefore the trade is:-

Paul Stastny + Jan Hejda for Tyler Myers and a 2nd rounder maybe. Ave go:-

Tyler Myers - Erik Johnson
Shane O'Brien - Stefan Elliott
Ryan O'Byrne - Ryan Wilson

Semyon Varlamov
J S Giguere

Also, you watch Stazz get 85-100 points between Vanek & Pominville.

This would also mean Sgarbossa, Connolly, Hishon or Olver would need to step up if / when the season starts. Alternatively, we could take maybe Ennis in place of the second, but I think there is no way in Haydee Buffalo get sucker punched into that, so our offense is something like:-

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Parenteau - Duchene - Jones
Mcginn - Sgarbossa - Hejduk
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew

But that DOES look very, very thin skill and balance wise to be honest. Then again, because we'd have lost 4.35 mill in the trade, I'd make a huge play at Shane Doan, who's experience and leadership would really assist our young guys. Then our offense/team would be would be (if I was selecting):

Jamie Mcginn - Shane Doan - David Jones
Gabriel Landeskog - Ryan O'Reilly - Steve Downie
P A Parenteau - Matt Duchene - Milan Hejduk
Cody Mcleod - John Mitchell - Brad Malone (we could carry a rookie with Doan)

Tyler Myers - Erik Johnson
Shane O'Brien - Stefan Elliott
Ryan O'Byrne - Ryan Wilson

Semyon Varlamov
J S Giguere

I'd then waive or buyout Hunwick, Kobasew.
Our depth guys are then Hishon, Olver, Sgarbossa, Zanon

Old
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Drizzt1

OR we keep the status quo, and go with the worst defense in the entire NHL with:-

Zanon - Johnson
O'Brien - Wilson
O'Byrne - Hejda
(Hunwick)

Old
09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Rielly

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Drizzt1

Yeah, I made the mistake once, and just cut and paste from that point coz I'm lazy - my bad - but thanks for the quality input.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
OR we keep the status quo, and go with the worst defense in the entire NHL with:-

Zanon - Johnson
O'Brien - Wilson
O'Byrne - Hejda
(Hunwick)
Drizzt, why can't you ever be optimistic?

We have an average defense led by a solid #1/2 in EJ whom is one of the best in our division.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Drizzt, why can't you ever be optimistic?

We have an average defense led by a solid #1/2 in EJ whom is one of the best in our division.
Our defense is bad, it is not average.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Yeah, I made the mistake once, and just cut and paste from that point coz I'm lazy - my bad - but thanks for the quality input.
That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just hate names being mis-spelled, even if his is deliberately wrong.

And we do not have the worst defense in the league. Not even close.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just hate names being mis-spelled, even if his is deliberately wrong.

And we do not have the worst defense in the league. Not even close.
It is pretty close.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Never really thought about it, which team defenses are worse than ours?

The oilers for sure, but who else?

Old
09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post

Dallas might be worse.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

Quote:

Toronto, Columbus, the Islanders all come to mind immediately though I don't know what players each team has. But we were 15th in goals against per game last season, and I don't think it's became 15 places worse since the season finished.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

Columbus, Edmonton, Toronto, Isles, Anaheim are easily behind us IMO.

Detroit, Nashville, and Philly all have very mediocre Defense at the moment aswell IMO. Detroit doesnt have much at all outside of Kronwall, and Im not high on him either, I think we have a better Defense then them. Nashville has Weber, but not much after that(although it depends on the play of Rosi), and Philly has been meh since they lost Pronger(I would say theyre a little better then us, but not a whole lot).

IMO were somewere around 18-22 in the league. Were definitly better then those 5 above, were probably in the next teir of 5 or 6 teams.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Columbus, Edmonton, Toronto, Isles, Anaheim are easily behind us IMO.

Detroit, Nashville, and Philly all have very mediocre Defense at the moment aswell IMO. Detroit doesnt have much at all outside of Kronwall, and Im not high on him either, I think we have a better Defense then them. Nashville has Weber, but not much after that(although it depends on the play of Rosi), and Philly has been meh since they lost Pronger(I would say theyre a little better then us, but not a whole lot).

IMO were somewere around 18-22 in the league. Were definitly better then those 5 above, were probably in the next teir of 5 or 6 teams.
I'll give you Detroit, even though I'd be stretching to do so. Without Lidstrom their defense takes a huge hit, and like you said, outside of Kronwall they don't really have anyone to be all that impressed about...and yes, I do know they have Quincey. But, they have employed a tremendous defensive system. You can hate the team all you want, Lord knows I despise them myself, but you've got to give credit where credit is due.

But I can't say I agree with your stance on Nashville or Philadelphia. Even with the loss of Suter, Nashville, just by having Weber, still has a good defense. Now, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up with Suter leaving, but I don't see them having a tremendous fall off.

Philadelphia, even without Pronger, still has a solid group of Defenders, and I'd rate them a bit higher than the Avalanche at this time.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

For teams like Nashville and Predators you have to consider their goaltending and the systems they use... Nashville play a very defensive system so they'll probably still be as good even if they lose some points. Philly have a sieve for a goalie whose job as national team starter has been taken by our guy so we're ahead there too.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
For teams like Nashville and Predators you have to consider their goaltending and the systems they use... Nashville play a very defensive system so they'll probably still be as good even if they lose some points. Philly have a sieve for a goalie whose job as national team starter has been taken by our guy so we're ahead there too.
But...but...but...

Closed Thread