HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Worst thing you can do to your stick

Old
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

vCash: 500
I remember lining a u18 game where someone accidently speared his teammate in the groin. The guy was on the ice in agony and everyone thought he had just been hit in the testicles and we all know how painful that is so all his team were like "come on get up you *****, you only got hit in the balls" then when they took him back to the dressing room and took off his equipment apparently there was an 8 inch gash going up the inside of his leg towards the groin area. So it's safe to say they weren't laughing and calling him a ***** anymore

Darren Peng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
TieClark

The kids who put all the weight they can into their sticks to see how much it can flex... don't do that.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:42 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
The kids who put all the weight they can into their sticks to see how much it can flex... don't do that.
People who do this to someone else's goalie stick

My friend said one of his sticks magically went missing once (his team can leave their stuff at the rink in a locked changing room) and he said obviously before he arrived someone was mucking about with his stick and was all like "ooh lets see how much flex it has" and then broke it, so obviously threw it in the garbage skip out the back so the goalie wouldn't find out

Darren Peng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Mr Atoz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Am I a bad person for laughing at this

I'm sure you were before this.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

I also never understood why changing your curve on a composite is a bad thing? Does it make the blade weaker?

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Only expensive ones. I play with a $8 composite stick on the concrete. Every now and then I see someone with a top of the line stick out there, and it makes me cringe. I've seen people playing with TotalOnes, RS, and se16s.
I don't know, I have an old Easton Synergy that cost like $180 for street hockey because the bottom of the blade is cracked all the way down. It takes out all the power in passes and shots but still works fine for street hockey.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Here's a stick question:

My husband made me a nice shooting practice pad and set up a goal in the backyard for me. He got the silicone spray to make the whiteboard stuff nice and slippery.

I used it for a while today and the tape was greasy afterwards. He mentioned that the silicone might not be good for the blade, but wasn't sure if it would be harmful.

Of course I can just change the tape and everything comes right off - but will the lube hurt the blade? Is there something else I should get instead of the silicone spray?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by omzuJ View Post
I also never understood why changing your curve on a composite is a bad thing? Does it make the blade weaker?
It makes it significantly weaker.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
O23L
Doan 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Here's a stick question:

My husband made me a nice shooting practice pad and set up a goal in the backyard for me. He got the silicone spray to make the whiteboard stuff nice and slippery.

I used it for a while today and the tape was greasy afterwards. He mentioned that the silicone might not be good for the blade, but wasn't sure if it would be harmful.

Of course I can just change the tape and everything comes right off - but will the lube hurt the blade? Is there something else I should get instead of the silicone spray?
I use WD-40 on mine, and haven't noticed any grease.

O23L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Here's a stick question:

I sprayed a very thin layer on and wiped it down afterwards. Didn't have any problem you mentioned.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:43 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I've seen a guy in pickup toss his stick over the glass while on the way to the bench for a change. Serious WTF thought bubble over my head.

Then, five minutes later, he was crawling on his knees (no pad on the cement on that side of the bench) to retrieve the stick...

/facepalm

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzuJ View Post
How about adding tape to the shaft of the stick? All it adds is dead weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
This. But in the interest of full disclosure, I used to candy-cane my sticks as a kid for grip, but now that you can buy sticks with grip, there's really no point in doing that. and yes, it adds weight to it.
Added weight? I highly doubt if you held identical sticks up and one had the candy-cane tape job you'd be able to tell. As for grip, I've seen people have a butt end and wrap tape around it so the sticky part of the tape is facing outwards. Then they rub it on their stick where they want the grip. For me it was way too sticky, but then again I don't like grip sticks.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I use WD-40 on mine, and haven't noticed any grease.
You know what also works really well? Sand. Sweep a bunch of (dry) dirt onto the pad and it feels pretty close to ice.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Damn, that would hurt!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
You know what also works really well? Sand. Sweep a bunch of (dry) dirt onto the pad and it feels pretty close to ice.
Sounds similar to using the silicone beads they use on table shuffleboards.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote