HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Moving to the West Valley

Old
09-10-2012, 09:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I lived in a super dumpy ground floor studio on mill ave and the US60. It was only a couple of years ago, and rent was under 400iirc and power was a dollar a day in winter and two dollars a day in summer. I didn't use a tv, though, or do any cooking. I mostly just got drunk at the yucca tap room right behind the apartments. Live music every night and one dollar PBRs. Anyway, point of the post is that you can live very cheaply depending on where you are in life, and what your priorities are at that time.

Last edited by rt: 09-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Now I own a house, 1700sq feet, 1970s block house, but with old ass single pane windows (most do have plantation shutters though), and a ridiculously over sized pool for the lot (or as I call it, "the ****ing money pit"). $280 last month for electricity. Of course we do have a digital thermostat so it's 80 when we are home, 85 when we are gone, but 78 when we are in bed. Also, I shut off the the vents in the two guest rooms and keep the doors shut during the week. Then again my roof turbines are both broken. Haha. This post is now turned into a to do list. Haha.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Now I own a house, 1700sq feet, 1970s block house, but with old ass single pane windows (most do have plantation shutters though), and a ridiculously over sized pool for the lot (or as I call it, "the ****ing money pit"). $280 last month for electricity. Of course we do have a digital thermostat so it's 80 when we are home, 85 when we are gone, but 78 when we are in bed. Also, I shut off the the vents in the two guest rooms and keep the doors shut during the week. Then again my roof turbines are both broken. Haha. This post is now turned into a to do list. Haha.
Or and rt's life story thread

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Or and rt's life story thread
Haha. What else is new? Point is, sq ft isn't the end of the story when it comes to rent and utilities.

Can you live with scummy neighbors? How old is the building? How much shade does the building get? Which floor? Blocks or stucco? Crappy old windows or new efficient ones? Undersized A/C? How old? How hot can you handle it? What hours are you active and what gadgets do you have? Wash and dry in the unit or shared laundry room? There are a ton of variables.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Undersized A/C?
An epidemic on the west side.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
An epidemic on the west side.
All bubble developments, really. Unbelievably poor construction during the boom.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

They are covered under the normal homeowners policy. We're with USAA, so they're pretty good about it.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:06 PM
awfulwaffle

So, it appears I have found where I'm going to be moving come September 29th. I have a question though, as they don't allow satellite dishes, does Cox have any deals like DirecTV does with refer a friend, so one of you might be able to get some credit?

I'm going to bundle internet and TV through COX, after the specials, it comes out to like $123 a month or something, does that sound about right? As long as I have Pac-12 Arizona, NBC Sports Network, and other channels that aren't usually on the basic tier I'm ok.

My rent is $565 a month, plus Electric(Going to have to be smart about this to start off), Water, and TV/Internet. Being a grown up and taking care of yourself sucks!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
So, it appears I have found where I'm going to be moving come September 29th. I have a question though, as they don't allow satellite dishes, does Cox have any deals like DirecTV does with refer a friend, so one of you might be able to get some credit?

I'm going to bundle internet and TV through COX, after the specials, it comes out to like $123 a month or something, does that sound about right? As long as I have Pac-12 Arizona, NBC Sports Network, and other channels that aren't usually on the basic tier I'm ok.
Seems a bit high for a first-time customer, no? I thought they had better deals for the first 6 months, like these:

https://secure.cox.com/Service/Store...special-offers

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
I think that is close to what my Cox bill would be if I didn't have all the extras. Mine is $170 a month and I have the "Premier Internet" service, 2 different "Variety Paks" for more stations (sports and some lifetime related shows for the lady) with 2 HD DVR sets. Pretty sure if I was not lazy I could cancel my TV service and watch everything on the internet.

I never bothered with their phone service though.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:07 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Seems a bit high for a first-time customer, no? I thought they had better deals for the first 6 months, like these:

https://secure.cox.com/Service/Store...special-offers
Yeah, that is the price after those start up specials expire if I do the preferred internet and I think the basic cable package. I don't know, the Cox site was a bit confusing to scroll around the options, but I wasn't really looking very hard, I still have a bit of time before I head down there.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, that is the price after those start up specials expire
Got it. In that case, that sounds about right.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:37 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Got it. In that case, that sounds about right.
It's actually more since I want the HD DVR. That's $19 a month. Do you guys feel the protection plan is necessary? Do you ever have problems with power surges from monsoons, or any other problem with the gear?

Old
09-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
It's actually more since I want the HD DVR. That's $19 a month. Do you guys feel the protection plan is necessary? Do you ever have problems with power surges from monsoons, or any other problem with the gear?
Hmm, never heard of the protection plan unless they stuck it on my account without me knowing. I just use the old surge protector.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Hmm, never heard of the protection plan unless they stuck it on my account without me knowing. I just use the old surge protector.
Same. Never heard of such a plan.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

One time price on a $10 surge protector is probably a better bet.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:58 PM
awfulwaffle

Well, I caved and I found someone looking for a roomate. Good thing is the price includes utilities, and it'll be less than what the apartment I was looking at was for just for rent, not including utilities. Ok, next goal, a car since I found a cheap place to live, until I get kicked out.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:54 AM
turbodaze

DO NOT live in Glendale around Glendale Ave. and 43rd street. I shared a place with someone on craigslist and they ended up being a drug dealer. I was in the worst neighborhood with people packing handguns and showing them outside and drug deals were rampant.

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Well, I caved and I found someone looking for a roomate. Good thing is the price includes utilities, and it'll be less than what the apartment I was looking at was for just for rent, not including utilities. Ok, next goal, a car since I found a cheap place to live, until I get kicked out.
I got sick and tired of being nickel and dimed by Crappy used trucks i always stubbornly insisted on owning. At my wifes urging to act like an adult I bought a new car last month. 2013 Elantra. Now i feel like the 300/mo is much worse than the nickel and diming. Not sure I understand why buying a new car is a smart thing to do.

Last edited by rt: 09-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
I got sick and tired of being nickel and dimed by Crappy used trucks i always stubbornly insisted on owning. At my wifes urging to act like an adult I bought a new car last month. 2013 Elantra. Now i feel like the 300/mo is much worse than the nickel and diming. Not sure I understand why buying a new car is a smart thing to do.
If I never brought a new car, I would the previous year when the new year comes out. On the bright side, you at least got something with one of the best warrenties.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 12:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You wouldn't like what was left on the lot. San Tan Hyundai only had 13s on the lot and only five or six of them. They keep inventory low to build urgency and to make it easier to upsell. Makes you feel like you found "the one" even though none are what you had in mind. It's ridiculous. I spent more than three hours over two days arguing and fighting with them on a base package, entry model in basically the most affordable make. Haha. Those guys didn't know what to do with me. They can't wiggle much on the cheapies, but you can get them to move if you are willing to burn the calories.

Old
09-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

LOL

You mean you didn't even look at Cars.com? Granted, you may have gotten a steal from a dealer much farther away but maybe it would have been worth it.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Right now, I'm driving a 2001 Chevy Malibu with about 121k miles on it. I'm sure it will be just fine in the valley, I mean I just got a radiator flush, I'm getting new tires, etc. But in the long run, I would like something a bit different. I'm a big fan of the Prius, as it's not too expensive and it does get good gas mileage as long as you don't gun the gas pedal.

I've just had so many problems with the Malibu. For instance, there was 1 morning I drove to Maverick to get a Monster Rehab, and I shut the car off, went inside, and when I went back outside my car wouldn't start. When I towed it to the repair shop, it started up just fine for them, and that was that. It happened 2 times in the past 4 months. It's just something I don't want to have to worry about happening when I'm all on my own.

But I need to budget before I can look at getting a new car. Maybe I'll just keep saving up money.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the car, and what was your down payment on it? Bigger down payment would lessen the monthly payments right? Do car companies offer a certain period of time to pay it off, like 24 months, or you can extend it further to lessen the payments? I really haven't looked into what all goes on with buying a car. I much prefer not go through a dealership, they are a bunch of blood sucking vampires!!

Old
09-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Right now, I'm driving a 2001 Chevy Malibu with about 121k miles on it. I'm sure it will be just fine in the valley, I mean I just got a radiator flush, I'm getting new tires, etc. But in the long run, I would like something a bit different. I'm a big fan of the Prius, as it's not too expensive and it does get good gas mileage as long as you don't gun the gas pedal.

I've just had so many problems with the Malibu. For instance, there was 1 morning I drove to Maverick to get a Monster Rehab, and I shut the car off, went inside, and when I went back outside my car wouldn't start. When I towed it to the repair shop, it started up just fine for them, and that was that. It happened 2 times in the past 4 months. It's just something I don't want to have to worry about happening when I'm all on my own.

But I need to budget before I can look at getting a new car. Maybe I'll just keep saving up money.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the car, and what was your down payment on it? Bigger down payment would lessen the monthly payments right? Do car companies offer a certain period of time to pay it off, like 24 months, or you can extend it further to lessen the payments? I really haven't looked into what all goes on with buying a car. I much prefer not go through a dealership, they are a bunch of blood sucking vampires!!
To be fair buying a car from anyway shape or form leaglly has it's advantages and disadvantages. Even the best running cars are going to have issues.

I'd rather go through a well known dealer than some fly by night dump or private seller.
The primary reason is the warrenty and the reliability of the dealership to help out in case any warrenty work is needed.

Old
09-15-2012, 05:17 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
To be fair buying a car from anyway shape or form leaglly has it's advantages and disadvantages. Even the best running cars are going to have issues.

I'd rather go through a well known dealer than some fly by night dump or private seller.
The primary reason is the warrenty and the reliability of the dealership to help out in case any warrenty work is needed.
True, but my car is long beyond the warranty, so that doesn't really help me with my situation. Thankfully, where I'll be moving too is right next door to work, so if I had to, I could bike to work, or jog to work. It's not very attractive to the ladies to be drenched in sweat, but you gotta do what you gotta do lol.

Most warranties are 60,000 miles, 6 years or something right? That's what I think I remember hearing on the commercials. Can you pay for a longer warranty? I do agree, warranty is amazing when you get a car. I did have a part go bad on my malibu, that was very expensive, but warranty covered it. It's like health insurance. You get what you pay for. I had a root canal done, but my insurance paid everything, I just had to pay the copay.