HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Erik Gudbranson (2010, 3rd overall, Florida)

Old
09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wow, so nobody knows about Gudbranson at all? It really does seem like he's fallen into a bit of a black hole down in Florida...
He was what you'd expect from a 19 yo Dman (turned 20 in January) - inconsistent. He showed flashes though. He was physical, got into fights, I believe he averaged about 14 minutes of TOI, the least of all Dmen on the team. Definitely showed he's capable of being an NHL player though.

The surgery he's about to undergo is very unfortunate for his development. I'm not sure how was his offseason training, but at the end of the season he was talking about bulking up. If he's indeed worked on that and gained some muscle, it might take awhile for him to recover especially if he isn't used to his new body frame yet.

I think the same question remains with Erik and that is whether he can get offense going. If not, and that is the worst case scenario, he will be a very good, physical shutdown Dman. Admittedly though, it would be a disappointment for a 3rd overall selection.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:36 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Guys like Gudbranson usually take years to find their game in the NHL, and he'll never be a guy that can be judged largely by numbers. Still loads of potential there, but I think he probably would have been much better off in junior last year.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

Gudbranson is one of the young dman that I would love the Flyers to acquire. If his offensive game catches up with the other parts of his game, he will be a stud. Like others said he probably should have played another season in junior, but getting some NHL experience never hurts. He was inconsistent, but really what do we expect. I think he can be a 40-50 point defender with great positioning and leadership(peak potential). The one thing that worries me is the offensive part of his game though. If he doesn't fill out his peak potential, a top 4 defender with leadership qualities who puts up 20-30 points a year isn't bad. Also a lot of Florida fans believe he will be their captain one day.

Like the OP said in his second post, he is one of the most over looked young dman because of where he plays most likely.

Does suck for his development that he might be out till January.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Karlssonlee

You don't draft defenseman like him, and Luke Schenn that early in the draft. You can find raw defensive talent in the later rounds.

The fact that fowler and gormley were taken after him will prove this case in a few years when they separate themselves developmently

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
SpezDispenser

I find the defensive D-men typically follow the route of the power forward. It takes them longer to mature - and it's a lot harder for them to turn heads, but in the end Gudbranson was amazingly highly regarded at the time of the draft and has highly tuned leadership qualities. If the Panthers are patient - and they don't have much of a choice now - he'll be a nice 2nd pairing guy to go with someone like Kulikov for example.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I can't help but think he was drafted for need as opposed to BPA.

Still I think there are plenty of reasons to have high hopes for him in the future. Especially since the CBJ took Murray 2nd overall this year and I like the pick.

I wonder how the shoulder surgery and loss of Garrison affects things. He might be one of the players that benefits the most from a lockout considering he should have time to recuperate and is AHL eligible.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
puckfan13

A guy like Smid was drafted in 2004, high first round like Gudbranson, he just came into his own this past season in 2012.. It took 7 or 8 years, we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg with Gudbranson. With his personality and raw skills he is going to become a feared defender IMO... eventually. Of course a guy like Fowler is going to look better originally but I think this kid can become really good, maybe just not quite yet. It's actually great he plays in Florida and doesn't play in a place like Toronto where the spotlight for such a high pick is so glaring.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Gudbranson started the season off pretty bad I mean worse than I expected considering he got an extra year in junior after he was drafted. But as the season progressed he improved considerably with his positioning, it didn't help that he had Jovanovski as his partner. His tool set is unbelievable, he can flat out fly considering how big he is, has a canon of a shot that still needs work on accuracy, he has the "intangibles" that the great players around the league have. Will drop the gloves with whoever whenever, hits like a truck and will only get bigger from here. Also has an accurate first pass out of the zone. He has every tool you would want from a defender and has shown those "tools" to be grade A quality. Like any young defender consistency is his Achilles heal, when he puts it all together there is no reason why he can't be one of the premier defense man considering the tools are all there. I will say I doubt he becomes an 70-80 pt dman, I'll also say Mike Green and Erik Karlsson will never bring the all around game he brings. He will be a true cornerstone

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

That can't be good if he needs surgery

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Gudbranson started the season off pretty bad I mean worse than I expected considering he got an extra year in junior after he was drafted. But as the season progressed he improved considerably with his positioning, it didn't help that he had Jovanovski as his partner. His tool set is unbelievable, he can flat out fly considering how big he is, has a canon of a shot that still needs work on accuracy, he has the "intangibles" that the great players around the league have. Will drop the gloves with whoever whenever, hits like a truck and will only get bigger from here. Also has an accurate first pass out of the zone. He has every tool you would want from a defender and has shown those "tools" to be grade A quality. Like any young defender consistency is his Achilles heal, when he puts it all together there is no reason why he can't be one of the premier defense man considering the tools are all there. I will say I doubt he becomes an 70-80 pt dman, I'll also say Mike Green and Erik Karlsson will never bring the all around game he brings. He will be a true cornerstone
Jesus, 70-80 points?

That's unrealistic unless you're Erik Karlsson. Plus, Gudbranson doesn't play that much of an offensive game, does he? I'm under the impression that he plays a well-rounded, physical game. 40-50 points while playing a sound defensive game should be his peak.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:24 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Jesus, 70-80 points?

That's unrealistic unless you're Erik Karlsson. Plus, Gudbranson doesn't play that much of an offensive game, does he? I'm under the impression that he plays a well-rounded, physical game. 40-50 points while playing a sound defensive game should be his peak.
Most likely. Or even 30 points. Actually I think it will be closer to 30 than 40 points.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Erik Karlsson and Erik Gudbranson should never be mentioned in the same sentence. The only thing Gudbranson has over Karlsson is size - and I like Gudbranson.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Jesus, 70-80 points?

Yeah, I'd say 70+ points is unrealistic, even if it's a career year.

I'm not saying he's a lock to reach this potential, but I think the best possible "upside" Gudbranson has is that of a Shea Weber, both in terms of style of play and in terms of production. Both have hard shots, both are adept at moving the puck, both skate well for guys their size, and both bring an impressive physical game. So if you're looking for a good "best case scenario if everything pans out perfectly", I think Weber is the measuring stick.

Or if you want a more modest comparison, I'd go with Brent Seabrook.

To repeat, I'm not saying Gudbranson will reach that, but IF he does max out his potential and hits his absolute ceiling, I think Weber's point totals are more along the lines of what you should expect, not 70-80 points.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Yeah, I'd say 70+ points is unrealistic, even if it's a career year.

I'm not saying he's a lock to reach this potential, but I think the best possible "upside" Gudbranson has is that of a Shea Weber, both in terms of style of play and in terms of production. Both have hard shots, both are adept at moving the puck, both skate well for guys their size, and both bring an impressive physical game. So if you're looking for a good "best case scenario if everything pans out perfectly", I think Weber is the measuring stick.

Or if you want a more modest comparison, I'd go with Brent Seabrook.

To repeat, I'm not saying Gudbranson will reach that, but IF he does max out his potential and hits his absolute ceiling, I think Weber's point totals are more along the lines of what you should expect, not 70-80 points.
Love the Seabrook comparison;first thing i thought of when he was drafted..

Gudbranson has the potential to be a very good number 2 defensemen, and should fit in perfectly with Kulikov..

He gets less recognition because he isn't a flashy, PMD type of player, as well as the fact that he plays in Florida.

He will be a valuable part of the Florida core going forward, a core which seems to be progressing nicely.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:54 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I like the kid, but as others have said he wasn't the best choice at #3 (not saying Fowler should've been necessarily) but he's just not going to be a big impact player as far as the two way game goes.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:21 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I like the kid, but as others have said he wasn't the best choice at #3 (not saying Fowler should've been necessarily) but he's just not going to be a big impact player as far as the two way game goes.
Well, it depends on the type of player FLA was looking for at that point in time, doesn't it? All three, Gudbranson/Fowler/Gormley, were ranked pretty bunched together, so style probably came into play at least a bit.

Here are some pre draft rankings, btw:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944 - MacKenzie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=26432 - Button

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Jesus, 70-80 points?

Do you skip words when you read ? which part of "I DOUBT" did you not understand

Old
09-11-2012, 03:53 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Is there reading comprehension issues going on in Canada? where did you see me say he will get 70 points? Summer break is over try reading more carefully.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Is there reading comprehension issues going on in Canada? where did you see me say he will get 70 points? Summer break is over try reading more carefully.
Redundant post is redundant, and the poster you quoted is from Minnesota.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Erik Karlsson and Erik Gudbranson should never be mentioned in the same sentence. The only thing Gudbranson has over Karlsson is size - and I like Gudbranson.

the only thing Karlsson has over Gudbranson is offense. Are you one of those that think Karlsson is Lidstrom ? lmao

Old
09-11-2012, 04:03 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Redundant post is redundant, and the poster you quoted is from Minnesota.
They are two different posts, one is aimed at the the poster from Minnesota the other is aimed at the following posts from Canadians saying the same thing. I'm assuming they didn't read what I wrote and just answered the other poster. But thanks for proving my other post about Canadians in this thread

Old
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Do you skip words when you read ? which part of "I DOUBT" did you not understand
Perhaps, but that's like saying "I doubt that the Earth will abruptly stop spinning tomorrow, thus flinging us all into space." Normally when such numbers are mentioned with regards to defensemen, they're confined to the realm of hyperbole, not rational discussion.

And yes, that's an extreme example, but frankly given that this is prompted by inappropriate use of hyperbolic projections, one can be forgiven for presuming that an even greater unrealistic extreme is necessary to illustrate the point.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 09-11-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: tpyo
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

It was Jovocabe who made him look bad IMO.

If he can stay healthy, he looks like he should be one of hockey's best within the next couple years.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
They are two different posts, one is aimed at the the poster from Minnesota the other is aimed at the following posts from Canadians saying the same thing. I'm assuming they didn't read what I wrote and just answered the other poster. But thanks for proving my other post about Canadians in this thread
You didn't quote them, as opposed to the previous post, and I would presume the other posters were replying to the other post, not yours, in that they agreed he would not be a 70-80 point defenseman.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Perhaps, but that's like saying "I doubt that the Earth will abruptly stop spinning tomorrow, thus flinging us all into space." Normally when such numbers are mentioned with regards to defensemen, they're confirmed to the realm of hyperbole, not rational discussion.

And yes, that's an extreme example, but frankly given that this is prompted by inappropriate use of hyperbolic projections, one can be forgiven for presuming that an even greater unrealistic extreme is necessary to illustrate the point.
If at some point in history a Defenseman in the NHL has achieved such "hyperbolic status" <---(last year) .. Then one would assume to be vague in seeking the comparison of less mundane statistical proofs, for further study in the projection of not what the defenseman will become, but what he will become in the essence of projection analysis. That is why it is only reasonable that the number be included