HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 06:50 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

vCash: 500
Slightly OT: Internal unrest at Port of Seattle

I'm going to call this slightly OT, but since the Port of Seattle is a thorn in the side of all of us pro-arena supporters here and elsewhere, this story might be of interest:

http://www.king5.com/news/Port-of-Se...167951085.html

For the folks from outside of Seattle, the gist of this is that the head of the PoS recently took a spot on a board of directors for a company which does business with the Port and some of the Port comissioners now want him gone from his head job at the Port due to what they see as a possible conflict of interest.

I'd be curious to see if perhaps the Port's obstructionism of the Hansen proposal will subside for awhile while this issue is hashed out internally.

Thoughts?

Old
08-30-2012, 09:40 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
I'm going to call this slightly OT, but since the Port of Seattle is a thorn in the side of all of us pro-arena supporters here and elsewhere, this story might be of interest:

http://www.king5.com/news/Port-of-Se...167951085.html

For the folks from outside of Seattle, the gist of this is that the head of the PoS recently took a spot on a board of directors for a company which does business with the Port and some of the Port comissioners now want him gone from his head job at the Port due to what they see as a possible conflict of interest.

I'd be curious to see if perhaps the Port's obstructionism of the Hansen proposal will subside for awhile while this issue is hashed out internally.

Thoughts?
Wonder how many jobs could be created if the CEO took a pay cut from his pretty nice public service salary?

Seriously, it would be nice if it distracted them but I doubt that will be the case.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:01 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Any Bay Area/Northern California posters know how legitimate Carmichael Dave is? He said on his radio show Chris Hansen offered the Maloofs upwards of $400 million for the Kings and was rejected.

http://mynorthwest.com/27/729998/Inv...-franchise-bid

Old
08-30-2012, 03:57 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Any Bay Area/Northern California posters know how legitimate Carmichael Dave is? He said on his radio show Chris Hansen offered the Maloofs upwards of $400 million for the Kings and was rejected.

http://mynorthwest.com/27/729998/Inv...-franchise-bid
Good find. I of course am not from northern CA, but am familiar with this guy - he has appeared in the past on Paul Silvi's NWCN nightly sports show. This guy I think may be the number one source for news and info on the arena from down there, and it's too bad he's having to offer it up on a web-based podcast these days (the radio station he worked for for years, KHTK, fired him earlier this year):

http://www.thecdnetworks.com/

As to his report, very interesting, but why would anyone not be surprised? It is the Maloofs after all......

Old
08-30-2012, 08:14 PM
gstommylee

There was no 400m offer. softy of KJR tweeted "Spoke to a source from Chris Hansens camp regarding report he made offer for Kings: "No truth at all. 100% made up."

https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/241304032143093760

Hansen won't be making any offers until after city council approves of the arena.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Update to my slightly OT post about the Port from several days ago....

Well, it appears the arena folks have started to pay attention to this issue concerning the PoS CEO, and to how the Seattle Times is handling this, so perhaps it now can be considered on topic.

The Times today ran an editorial suggesting he be allowed to do both the CEO job and keep this new gig he's got with this organization called Expeditors International:

http://seattletimes.com/html/editori...itportxml.html

Soon after this came out, the folks over at Arena Solution decided to go to battle with the Times, and Brian Robinson created a petition, which is linked below, calling for the Times editorial board to review their positions on both this and the arena.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...and-sodo-arena

Robinson's opening lines in the petition:

Quote:
As the regions primary newspaper The Seattle Times is the main source of news and information for hundreds of thousands of local residents. Without a reasonable level of investigative research and impartial fact checking readers cannot be assured of having sufficient information to make decisions about important regional issues.

The Seattle Times' public call for "this story to go away" less than 3 days after bipartisan allegations of ethical conflicts by a public employee who leads an agency which receives more than $70 million per year in public subsidy calls into question their unbiased and honest coverage of the Port of Seattle Operations and is cause for readers to demand a review of their coverage of this issue.
My opinion by the way for anyone concerned on all of this is that I think the Times is taking this stand because they know this mess is an internal distraction for the Port, and one which threatens to take them out of the arena discussion.

And oh, BTW, there's another Port commissioner today, and a very respected one in John Creighton, calling for an outside review of this (http://www.king5.com/news/documents/...18736.html?c=n).

So it will be interesting to see how this all develops. Discuss.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't think the Maloof's want out of the Kings, I think they just want out of Sacramento.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't think the Maloof's want out of the Kings, I think they just want out of Sacramento.
The question is can they afford to relocate. Once Seattle approves the arena proposal, the NBA could pressure the Maloof's to sell.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:04 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Tim burgess has called a special finance committee meeting for 9/13, which is necessary to get arena proposal out of committee, for full council vote on 9/17

Old
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

“@Softykjr: Arena update: Asked City Council source if we are indeed on verge of deal: "Yes." Says announcement more likely next week.”

Old
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
“@Softykjr: Arena update: Asked City Council source if we are indeed on verge of deal: "Yes." Says announcement more likely next week.”
Good to see that everything is coming together.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
cascar86

Looks like we have confirmation: http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Hans...169272086.html

Excellent news for hockey fans in the Pacific Northwest.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
gstommylee

SCC will approve the sodo arena proposal.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:58 AM
nwpensfan

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/M...169273946.html

Great News!!

The NHL in this area is just a little bit closer....but still so far away.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:07 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/M...169273946.html

Great News!!

The NHL in this area is just a little bit closer....but still so far away.
This is the closest seattle has ever been to getting a NHL team.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:21 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
This is the closest seattle has ever been to getting a NHL team.
Seattle was actually awarded a conditional franchise in the 70's:

Old
09-11-2012, 01:24 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOMO View Post
Seattle was actually awarded a conditional franchise in the 70's:
Good point i forgotten about that.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:50 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Local Sports Radio Host drove in from home to get on the air to talk about this:

http://www.iheart.com/live/2565/

On the air right now, he had the mayor and 2 reporters. Will be taking calls.

WOO HOO

Old
09-11-2012, 03:06 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 50
Have I got this straight...
  1. Hansen+Co sign "final memorandum" with Seattle and King County
  2. Hansen goes to NBA and says we have a new arena, conditional on an NBA team
  3. NBA awards expansion team (or pushes Maloofs to sell Kings) to Hansen
  4. NBA team starts playing temporarily in Key Arena
  5. construction of new arena begins
  6. NHL franchise is conditionally awarded to Seattle
The important part is when does item 3 (which triggers items 4 and 5) happen? The NHL would want a firm commitment to a new arena. Somebody like Chipman/Thomson could afford 2 or 3 years in Key Arena, but anybody else would probably want to wait till the new arena is ready. Key Arena might be OK for exhibition games and as a practice facility, but not as an NHL arena.

The decision on Phoenix (to Quebec or Seattle) can be put off until a new CBA is signed. In a worst-case scenario, we lose the entire season, and the decision can be made in the spring of 2013. This is Seattle's best hope for the Coyotes.

I don't see the NBA expanding, so it would have to be a relocation (Kings?) to Seattle. It would kill attendance in Sacramento (or wherever) to announce relocation before the end of the season. So we're looking at a spring/summer of 2013 earliest announcement. Assuming Bettman still has contacts in the NBA and can synchronize, that's pushing it. Even then, the "Seattle Coyotes" would have to play at 2 or 3 seasons in Key Arena, which would test the finances of most buyers. I still predict the Coyotes moving to QC for the 2013-2014 season, and the Islanders to Seattle in 2015, after their lease expires.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:20 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Have I got this straight...
  1. Hansen+Co sign "final memorandum" with Seattle and King County
  2. Hansen goes to NBA and says we have a new arena, conditional on an NBA team
  3. NBA awards expansion team (or pushes Maloofs to sell Kings) to Hansen
  4. NBA team starts playing temporarily in Key Arena
  5. construction of new arena begins
  6. NHL franchise is conditionally awarded to Seattle
The important part is when does item 3 (which triggers items 4 and 5) happen? The NHL would want a firm commitment to a new arena. Somebody like Chipman/Thomson could afford 2 or 3 years in Key Arena, but anybody else would probably want to wait till the new arena is ready. Key Arena might be OK for exhibition games and as a practice facility, but not as an NHL arena.

The decision on Phoenix (to Quebec or Seattle) can be put off until a new CBA is signed. In a worst-case scenario, we lose the entire season, and the decision can be made in the spring of 2013. This is Seattle's best hope for the Coyotes.

I don't see the NBA expanding, so it would have to be a relocation (Kings?) to Seattle. It would kill attendance in Sacramento (or wherever) to announce relocation before the end of the season. So we're looking at a spring/summer of 2013 earliest announcement. Assuming Bettman still has contacts in the NBA and can synchronize, that's pushing it. Even then, the "Seattle Coyotes" would have to play at 2 or 3 seasons in Key Arena, which would test the finances of most buyers. I still predict the Coyotes moving to QC for the 2013-2014 season, and the Islanders to Seattle in 2015, after their lease expires.
The shopping of a NBA team happens as soon as King County re approves it.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Press Conference at 9:30 PST to confirm the news

Old
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Press Conference at 9:30 PST to confirm the news
KIRO-TV will be carrying it live (maybe not on TV, but at minimum here):

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/news/li...ss-news/vC4c3/

Old
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Local Sports Radio Host drove in from home to get on the air to talk about this:

http://www.iheart.com/live/2565/

On the air right now, he had the mayor and 2 reporters. Will be taking calls.

WOO HOO
Got to hand it to Mahler for that.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Link:

http://www.seattlechannel.org/eventLive/

Old
09-11-2012, 10:42 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Got to hand it to Mahler for that.
Stayed up till 1am. I guess he was on until 2:15 or so. It was a great listen. He had all the major players on, Spencer Hawes, the Mayor..it was crazy

Closed Thread