HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2012, 01:00 AM
AK Dandyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Here we go, here's a tweet to confirm that:

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260
In addition to The Jason Strudwick Show from 9-Midnight, The Mark Spector Show is now locked in from Noon-Two weekdays. #pumped
Good move by 1260.

It'll be interesting listening to Strudwick especially after the game.

Old
09-01-2012, 08:42 AM
poetryingasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I can never comprehend the appeal of talk radio as a medium because anytime I turn on a radio I expect tunes to be playing and turn the dial if they're not.

To me print media is the right media for discussion, thought, analysis. In depth Spoken word radio makes my eyes roll around in my head. Like get to the point already. Perhaps because we can process information 10 times faster on a visual, than auditory basis. Also that we don't write down every uh, er, what, um, and expect anybody to read all the filler...

So I RARELY if ever post in these threads or listen to sports programming.

But Strudwick?

Whats the appeal?

The first thing I think about is career yes man that won't have an interesting thing to state.

His career may not be as interesting as say Paul Coffey's but he can explain events and aspects of hockey that we will never experience. On top of that, he can connect with the listener effectively which is something I cannot say for a lot of talk show radio personalities. I wish he could replace Drew Ramenda (Saskatoon)

Last edited by poetryingasoline: 09-01-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: choppy sentence
Old
09-01-2012, 09:03 AM
rosemount289

I guess I was...............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
Has anyone noticed that Jason Strudwick has been getting a lot of air time?

First he has been on Gregor's show but now he is getting air time with Dusty on Oiler's lunch at noon!

I wonder if they are grooming him for a gig as a host on 1260?

Not a bad idea, especially for the 9:00 to Midnight shift instead of Cory Graham.
I guess one was right on this comment!!!

Old
09-01-2012, 09:38 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
+1 to Chase not being on the air anymore. Did anyone like him?

I don't mind Fraser but he has the personality of an unfolded piece of cardboard compared to Strudwick. He also seems lazy too and gets caught flat footed a lot if it's a topic he's not really into.
Those who worked at the station during Kyle Chase's reign of error would find it amusing that you followed up a statement/question about him by calling his replacement lazy. Let's just say that laziness played a role in Chase's dismissal.

The problem with Wil Fraser is twofold: 1. He's still producing the show while co-hosting. 2. He's a good guy but has a weird, often contrarian take on a lot of things which I believe is better suited for an evening show struggling to generate interest than a morning drive show which has more of a built-in audience.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:31 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

good for struds--brings a good player insight to how to look at that game

Old
09-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Radio goes off at 6 and...
WHAT??

09-03-2012, 06:15 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
WHAT??

he just needs a hug

Old
09-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
WHAT??

I might turn it back on @ 7pm on Tuesdays....................

Honestly, you could use a better lead in.

Most of the time I find myself listening on Saturday morning or I will use the archives.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
abootzky

If the parts of the first Jason Strudwick Show I heard (interviews with Hall of Famer Scott Niedermayer and CFL analyst Sandy Anunziata) were any indication, Jason's show is going to be very good.

Podcast here: http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=2615

Last edited by abootzky: 09-05-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added link
Old
09-05-2012, 05:20 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 6257
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
If the parts of the first Jason Strudwick Show I heard (interviews with Hall of Famer Scott Niedermayer and CFL analyst Sandy Anunziata) were any indication, Jason's show is going to be very good.

Podcast here: http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=2615
Thats cheating, he brought his cousin in for the first interview.

09-05-2012, 09:31 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Niedermayer is his cousin?

Old
09-05-2012, 11:16 PM
AM

I listened to him, and liked it.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Thats cheating, he brought his cousin in for the first interview.
Smart man

Old
09-06-2012, 09:10 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Meh, I thought it was pretty average to be honest.
I'd much rather listen to Rob Brown.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 6257
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Niedermayer is his cousin?
They are indeed cousins.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:52 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
It was Jason Strudwick's first night of being the lead host of a radio show. Trust me, under those circumstances in comparison to others I've heard, it was well above average. Also encouraging was the fact that on Friday, Strudwick/Majeau's Eskimo postgame coverage was way better than it's been since Jason Gregor moved to afternoons years ago.

Seeing that I avoid CHED as much as possible, I'm not aware of Rob Brown hosting a show of his own. Have they expanded his role from that of hockey analyst?

Old
09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Kyle McMahon

Strudwick's post-game Esks talk was miles and miles better than the usual spin-doctor propaganda crap put out by CHED. Strudwick was busy criticizing the coaching and play calling, while Dave Campbell was "looking for the positives" down the dial. As usual. Needless to say, I didn't listen to any more of the CHED postgame. But I think I can safely assume Dave Campbell was an ass to any callers that dared to criticize the team after a horrible game. Good to hear Strudwick unafraid to come down on the Esks. Hopefully it's the same when the Oilers inevitably stink out the joint when hockey resumes in 2014.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:51 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Is that a joke? Rob Brown? What insight does that guy bring to the table..

Old
09-11-2012, 02:09 AM
harpoon

Quote:
It was Jason Strudwick's first night of being the lead host of a radio show. Trust me, under those circumstances in comparison to others I've heard, it was well above average. Also encouraging was the fact that on Friday, Strudwick/Majeau's Eskimo postgame coverage was way better than it's been since Jason Gregor moved to afternoons years ago.
Fair enough. I know you have a lot more insight into the industry than I do.
Eskimo coverage isn't going to win me over since I gave up watching that two-bit league twenty years ago.
The Neidermayer interview was pretty lame as far as content goes and the filler talk wasn't great either.
Not sure Struddy has the voice/cadence (whatever you professional types call it) for the gig either, but obviously that's something that would improve with time.

Quote:
Seeing that I avoid CHED as much as possible, I'm not aware of Rob Brown hosting a show of his own. Have they expanded his role from that of hockey analyst?
Sorry ... is this thread just for guys who have their own shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Is that a joke? Rob Brown? What insight does that guy bring to the table..
A lot imo. Last season I thought he provided the most insightful and unbiased post game commentary available to Oiler fans.
But since you decided to fire off a snappy reply, perhaps you could let me know what Struddy brings to the table.
Nice guy and all but he's pretty much the definition of marginal NHLer.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Lol. Rob Brown though man... that's just lame. And for a marginal NHL player, Struds still managed to play more games for more years than Mr. Brown, even if he ain't as accomplished. He's been a team favourite, great locker room guy wherever he's been, has played in Europe and for several different NHL clubs. He's got connections, stories and an actual personality. About 1000x more interesting and insightful than Rob "Plugs" Brown. I dont even know how that's up for debate.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Sorry ... is this thread just for guys who have their own shows?
Not at all. I was just curious to find out if Rob Brown had his own show now. I really didn't know.

Quote:
A lot imo. Last season I thought he (Brown) provided the most insightful and unbiased post game commentary available to Oiler fans.
On the few occasions I've heard Brown in recent seasons, I noticed a huge improvement- especially from his days doing colour with Brian Munz on the Road Runners broadcasts in '04-05. Besides, if Rob's talking that means Tencer isn't which is always a good thing.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I am the Liquor

Funny interview with Ticats head coach today on Gregor's show. He comes on after a long commercial break and says its the longest commercial break he's ever seen. Says Gregor should be a millionaire by now.

Gregor was at a loss for words.

It was pretty funny, and so true.

Waaaaaaay too many commercials on that station. Since most of those guys seem to lease time from the station I wonder if it is the station or the hosts being greedy.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Funny interview with Ticats head coach today on Gregor's show. He comes on after a long commercial break and says its the longest commercial break he's ever seen. Says Gregor should be a millionaire by now.

Gregor was at a loss for words.

It was pretty funny, and so true.

Waaaaaaay too many commercials on that station. Since most of those guys seem to lease time from the station I wonder if it is the station or the hosts being greedy.
You're right but don't expect it to change. Gregor may not have given Cortez and the listeners the apology we'd love to hear about the lengthy commercial breaks but he was hardly at a loss for words.

I can navigate around all the advertising but far more annoying to me is the number of interviews on the station marred by dropped calls. They have a barely-used toll-free number that they could get guests to call from a land line whenever an interview is scheduled- problem solved!

Old
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
You're right but don't expect it to change. Gregor may not have given Cortez and the listeners the apology we'd love to hear about the lengthy commercial breaks but he was hardly at a loss for words.

I can navigate around all the advertising but far more annoying to me is the number of interviews on the station marred by dropped calls. They have a barely-used toll-free number that they could get guests to call from a land line whenever an interview is scheduled- problem solved!
He really didnt know what to say and you could tell it caught him by surprise. Good on George Cortez for putting him on the spot and saying what so many of us have thought for a long time. They have the longest commercial breaks of any station in town and its not even close. Not only are the breaks longer, they seem to be more frequent as well.

I realize ads pay the bills, but to have your programming so saturated by them it says to me they are either not able to charge what other stations are or they are just flat out being greedy.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
He really didnt know what to say and you could tell it caught him by surprise. Good on George Cortez for putting him on the spot and saying what so many of us have thought for a long time. They have the longest commercial breaks of any station in town and its not even close. Not only are the breaks longer, they seem to be more frequent as well.

I realize ads pay the bills, but to have your programming so saturated by them it says to me they are either not able to charge what other stations are or they are just flat out being greedy.
K-Rock was brutal on Sunday. 3 songs one of which was Led Zepplin then 5 minutes of commercials.

Closed Thread