HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton's young blueliners.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I have never seen him play but I think he may have gone undrafted AGAIN if it wasnt for the "RNH connection".
The guy is too small for NHL.
Look at nextothemoon's list, there are more than a few highly skilled smurfs in the league playing D. The thing that he'll have in his favor is that he is the only smallish D in our entire system so he could play with a guy like Teubert down the road or maybe even Petry. I really think that this is a guy that could be a massive steal.

09-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Joey freakin Laleggia, 5'9", 5'10" on a good day, 4th round pick playing NCAA hockey. No physical game to speak of. This guy is going to be a "massive steal"? Hmm, chalk me up as a non-believer there...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Joey freakin Laleggia, 5'9", 5'10" on a good day, 4th round pick playing NCAA hockey. No physical game to speak of. This guy is going to be a "massive steal"? Hmm, chalk me up as a non-believer there...
What's wrong with the NCAA? Or are Whitney, Petry, Gilbert and Schultz lesser players because it?

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Look at nextothemoon's list, there are more than a few highly skilled smurfs in the league playing D. The thing that he'll have in his favor is that he is the only smallish D in our entire system so he could play with a guy like Teubert down the road or maybe even Petry. I really think that this is a guy that could be a massive steal.
Quote:
I said COULD be a massive steal. When's the last time that you've seen him play? He was the 3rd leading defensive scorer last year in division 1 hockey. I guess the no physical game to speak of is why he took a gamer during one of his games last year for boarding.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Yeah. The chance of even one of these guys hitting the targets you outlined: maybe .50, but likely less in my opinion.

Gernat for example, is nothing at this point. So many players do well in the chl and amount to nothing at the ahl level, let alone the NHL.
That doesn't make them nothing bro. Gernat hasn't just put up good numbers, he's shown to be fairly smart on the ice most of the time, and physically seems to have the size, if he thickens up a bit. Nbody is saying any of these guys are guaranteed NHL'ers of course, but they're good PROSPECTS, which is why we are discussing POTENTIAL.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Minor point, but he was actually a 5th rounder, #123 overall.

....not a bad pick imo.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
DisgruntledGoat

This Laleggia conversation sounds a lot like the talk around Danny Syvret a few years back...

Not saying he couldn't be a steal and he was a goo pick at that point, but for every Rafalski there's a 100 5'10 D playing beer league at 25 years old.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Klefbom: #2 defenseman --> top pairing with equivalent puck-mover (J.Schultz/Whitney) or leader of 2nd pairing with a #3/4 puck-mover (J.Petry)
Schultz: #2 defenseman --> top pairing with equivalent all-arounder (Klefbom/Smid) or leader of 2nd pairing with a #3/4 all-arounder/shutdown (N.Schultz)

NOTE: A Klefbom-Schultz pairing if both attain their potential is going to be a legitimate NHL top pairing (like Edler-Ehrhoff)

Marincin: #4 defenseman --> 2nd fiddle on 2nd pairing (Kubina-lite)
Gernat : #5/6 defenseman --> MAB-style, earning NHL TOI for his offensive prominence, but a 3rd pairing fixture
Musil: #4/5 defenseman --> basically like Steve Staios, could play on a 2nd pairing with a puck-mover like J.Schultz, but likely a solid fixture on bottom pairing

Bigos: Likely a career AHLer, could grab a #5/6 spot if lucky and develops over time --> Corey Potter
Teubert: Likely a career AHLer, similar potential to Peckham (fringe NHLer on bad team)
Plante : Likely a career AHLer, similar potential to Strudwick (fringe NHLer on bad team)

Dillon Simpson: Hard to tell, but has some decent potential --> Can be #4-6 defenseman with offensive upside (Pressing/Corvo)

These "potential" projections are for their HIGH-END potentials IMO, not what they're likely to achieve.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 09-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.
The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Soundwave

I think Schultz has the toolset to be a no.1 d-man if his development goes well.

Which of Keith, Letang, Weber, etc. were projected as no.1 D before they played an NHL game?

Basically you have to be drafted in the top 10-15 only to gain projection as a no.1 D, but half of the no.1 D-Men in the NHL aren't picked in that range. Probably more than half actually. Boyle, Chara, Letang, Keith, Weber, Campbell, etc.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
This Laleggia conversation sounds a lot like the talk around Danny Syvret a few years back...

Not saying he couldn't be a steal and he was a goo pick at that point, but for every Rafalski there's a 100 5'10 D playing beer league at 25 years old.
Laleggia is a lot more dynamic than either Syvret or Chorney were, I never said that he was a sure thing, but if he ever gets here he will be a gem of an offensive D.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I donno. I don't get why people don't give more appreciation to Marincin and Gernat. They haven't had a bad year yet. Marincin is going to get a ton of minutes in the AHL next year and it'll likely be a similar story for Gernat in the 13/13 season.
I watched Gernat in a few games and playoff games last year and although he is very good at moving the puck he makes a lot of dangerous plays. If he makes those plays in the NHL the out come will be a lot worse. If he can improve in his decision making than that will improve him dramatically as a player.

I would love to see one of them be a second pairing dman as I think Musil will be a legit shut down dman.

This is how I am hoping our dmen develop in the next 3 yrs.
Klefbom, Schultz- If they both develop as a legit number 1 pairing this is what this team desperately needs. They compliment each other. Klefbom left hand shot and Schultz right hand shot. Good size and puck mobility also. Lets keep the fingers crossed.

Smid; Petry- Lets not forget about these two, they would be a perfect 2nd pairing.

Maricin/Gernat; Musil- I do think Musil will be a legit 2nd pairing so having him on the 3rd pairing gives us very nice depth and his partner is very good at moving the puck also. Musil is also good at moving the puck out of his zone.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote