HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 draft

Old
09-09-2012, 10:10 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
2009 draft

In 2009, it was reported that when Burke called Snow to ask about the 1st overall pick, that after Snow said it wasn't available , he asked if Burke wanted something else for Burke's 7th overall.

I've always wondered who Snow would have snagged if he'd had the 1st and 7th overall. Isles really loved both Tavares and Hedman. I'm not sure if Snow would have been willing to pay the price to land the 7th overall, then packaged that 7th overall with other pieces to make a move up for Hedman.

Snow ended up trading up from 26th overall to 12th overall, where he took De Haan.

The top 10 results:

1. John Tavares
2. Victor Hedman
3. Matt Duchene
4. Evander Kane
5. Brayden Schenn
6. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
7. Nazem Kadri
8. Scott Glennie
9. Jared Cowen
10. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Riddick

Probably OEL but he wasn't available

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Renbarg

How do we know Snow loved Hedman or OEL?

I always say you shouldn't believe what is said in the media, but the fact that Snow moved up all the way to 12 and took DeHaan (who was sort of off the book), makes me think that he did in fact have DeHaan very high on his board (as in top 5).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:13 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Maybe Cowen?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
StrongIslanders90

de Hann at #7??? The way he moved up for him I wouldnt be suprised.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
bossy22

I was very excited when they announced the move to #12. I was convinced they were gonna select Kulikov so when they announced CdH it was a surprise. CdH is a good prospect and should contribute at the NHL level. Kulikov is coming into his own as a very good young Dman while CdH is still developing. I think we'll be more than happy with the wait. Same scouts would have watched them both in the OHL so no doubt Snowjanks got the player they were higher on & gave up assets to get him.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
How do we know Snow loved Hedman or OEL?

I always say you shouldn't believe what is said in the media, but the fact that Snow moved up all the way to 12 and took DeHaan (who was sort of off the book), makes me think that he did in fact have DeHaan very high on his board (as in top 5).
I think the only prospects the isles had visit LI in 2009, were Tavares/Duchene/Hedman.

From the press reports and Snow's comments, it sounds like the isles were very high on all 3. It doesn't sound like the isles ever bought into the scouts/fans/media picking apart Tavares' game. I think he was their #1 choice.
Once they had their franchise center on the way, it makes sense they'd want a potential franchise d-man.

I don't buy De Haan would have been their choice at #7. That's like saying ignore the press reports that the isles tried to trade up into the #2-#4 slots in 2008 for one of Doughty/Bogo/Pietranglo and if they'd been successful, they'd have taken Bailey in those #2-#4 .
I think like Bailey in 2008, De Haan ended up being the consolation prize after failing to get the guy they wanted.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think the only prospects the isles had visit LI in 2009, were Tavares/Duchene/Hedman.

From the press reports and Snow's comments, it sounds like the isles were very high on all 3. It doesn't sound like the isles ever bought into the scouts/fans/media picking apart Tavares' game. I think he was their #1 choice.
Once they had their franchise center on the way, it makes sense they'd want a potential franchise d-man.

I don't buy De Haan would have been their choice at #7. That's like saying ignore the press reports that the isles tried to trade up into the #2-#4 slots in 2008 for one of Doughty/Bogo/Pietranglo and if they'd been successful, they'd have taken Bailey in those #2-#4 .
I think like Bailey in 2008, De Haan ended up being the consolation prize after failing to get the guy they wanted.
Going by what was said in the media, Garth said he had dmen 2-4 in 2008, and Bailey was number 5 on his board. So its not like saying that at all.

Lets assume De Haan was the target in 2009. Garth knows he has to move up in order to get him (how much is debatable). Going all the way to 7 gives Garth the chance to move down to where he believes De Haan would be taken. Its almost certainly easier to move down than to move up. Its possible that Garth had his eyes on someone else though, but it really could be anyone.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:37 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Going by what was said in the media, Garth said he had dmen 2-4 in 2008, and Bailey was number 5 on his board. So its not like saying that at all.

Lets assume De Haan was the target in 2009. Garth knows he has to move up in order to get him (how much is debatable). Going all the way to 7 gives Garth the chance to move down to where he believes De Haan would be taken. Its almost certainly easier to move down than to move up. Its possible that Garth had his eyes on someone else though, but it really could be anyone.
2008 draft: I recall reading the draft day press reports/rumors, that Snow was furiously trying to trade up to grab one of Doughty/Bogo/Pietranglo. I hadn't realized Snow had Bailey #5 on his draft board.

2009 draft :The report that Snow asked Burke about the 7th overall, came from Botta on Point Blank. That report was made just 1-2 weeks after the April draft lottery. I don't think De Haan was Snow's target. I think Snow could not trade up high enough for his choice and took De Haan as a consolation prize.
We'll have to agree to disagree

Old
09-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
2008 draft: I recall reading the draft day press reports/rumors, that Snow was furiously trying to trade up to grab one of Doughty/Bogo/Pietranglo. I hadn't realized Snow had Bailey #5 on his draft board.

Well that's what he had said. Whether or not it is true is another story.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

theres really only a hand full of players between 7-12.

anyone after 12 was obviously behind de Hann in NYI eyes so its not a stretch to think that de Hann was their gy wherever they could get him.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:41 AM
steveat

Hindsight I would have liked Tavares and Kane. Would be a great 1 - 2 punch for the first line. Getting Hedman at 2 I would think would have involved overpayment by a large amount.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote