HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
It is Jacob not Jacobs.. They will definitely have more then 2 97's in the line up.. They are only going to have about 4 or 5 returning guys.
I think you are right about that, same for Saint John.

Slammers website has Shane MacDonald from Moncton still in camp, and from Saint John - Thomas Leonard, Riley Craft, Johnny Erbs, and Logan Saunders still in camp.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:18 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
I think you are right about that, same for Saint John.

Slammers website has Shane MacDonald from Moncton still in camp, and from Saint John - Thomas Leonard, Riley Craft, Johnny Erbs, and Logan Saunders still in camp.
If Macdonald stays in Woodstock that will open one spot on the back end in Moncton and if one or two of the St John kids make the team that will make a big differece in St John, in saying that how many others will make junior teams that played in Moncton or St John ? look at Fredericton , Smallman with the Seadogs that hurts them as he would have been an impact player in the league this year.

JMO

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:07 AM
Hkysct

It is Jacob not Jacobs.. They will definitely have more then 2 97's in the line up.. They are only going to have about 4 or 5 returning guys.

I realize it's Jacob not Jacobs and if you look at my previous posts you'll know that. My iPhone automatically fills in the "s" and I'm tired of fighting with it. There may only be 4-5 returning players from last years team but there are a ton of high school and midget minor players that will be trying out this year because they know who is coming back. I think youre going to see older kids this year. The coaching staff will be looking at winning this year and building next because of their hosting duties. Time will tell. I've certainly been wrong before. I might owe you a beer when this is done.

Hkysct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkysct View Post
I think that Moncton will have a strong team this year but expect only two 97 born players on it; Jacobs and belec. Galloway should crack the roster as he by far the best 97 or 96 goalie going out (especially now that gogan is gone) but since Moncton is hosting the Atlantic cup you can almost guarantee they are going with older goalies and not worrying about succession planning. Critchlow was the affiliated player but I heard he's going to a prep school and he's not really a AAA calibre goalie anyway. He's streaky but not really consistent. The two goalies should be grandmaison and Galloway but will likely be grandmaison and charest. Charest is the returning goalie but rumor has it that he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way last year with his work ethic and his primadonna attitude. With a new goalie coach coming in (Joel gauthier) all may be forgiven for charest. Gauthier works with max Landry a lot innthe summer so he may have an outside crack too but unless he really improved he's just not at the same level as the others. Since this is a 97 discussion I'm sticking with just 97's. As I said earlier the only two players that have a reasonable chance are Jacobs and belec. If Jacobs can get healthy and stay healthy he's a force to be handled. He's fragile though so time will tell. Belec is a workhorse and a big body. He'll do well. Other notable players like Colby ward, Robinson, etc will have to wait a year. Moncton has a HUGE pot to choose from and should do well in the league. Expect great things from Jacobs!
Isn't Matt Cooling was the goalie coach.. It said in paper yesterday that he was the goalie coach

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Hkysct

I heard from two different people (with no affiliation that I know of with each other) that gauthier was taking the spot. That was easily 2 weeks ago. Like I said; I've been wrong before. One of those people I trust with my life and he said he talked with gauthier and it was confirmed. Guess we'll find out this weekend.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I heard from two different people (with no affiliation that I know of with each other) that gauthier was taking the spot. That was easily 2 weeks ago. Like I said; I've been wrong before. One of those people I trust with my life and he said he talked with gauthier and it was confirmed. Guess we'll find out this weekend.
Lets see when all the junior camps are done who returns to Moncton this year may be in a rebuild year, word is MacDonald is staying in Woodstock so how many others may take that route?, saying that they have a bigger pool to draw from than the rest of the province so they should be still good.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Hkysct

Gauthier is definitely the goalie coach of the midget aaa flyers

Old
09-07-2012, 05:06 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Gauthier is definitely the goalie coach of the midget aaa flyers
It will be interesting to see what the jamboree looks like this weekend in Moncton I don't think Moncton will have as many returning players as they anticipate they could be in a rebuild mode like Fredericton will be.

Old
09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Hkysct

I've been to all but 1 of the tryouts and all I can say is that whoever coached the 95's and 96's should be hanging their head in shame. The 97's have dominated the tryouts from all positions including the red and white game. Even if it is a rebuilding year, Moncton will be respectable in the league.

Old
09-08-2012, 06:26 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I've been to all but 1 of the tryouts and all I can say is that whoever coached the 95's and 96's should be hanging their head in shame. The 97's have dominated the tryouts from all positions including the red and white game. Even if it is a rebuilding year, Moncton will be respectable in the league.
It will be an interesting year for Moncton if the team is made up of mostly 97's, what happened to all the 94's 95's and 96's that carried them to an Atlantic championship?,I know Shane MacDonald(95) is playing junior A in Woodstock do you know of any more still in junior camps ?

Old
09-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Hkysct

Politics in Moncton. Some things never change. I watched the tryouts and the blatant politics from Joel Gaultier and Alexander Goaltending were embarrassing. You would think that in 20 years of being involved in this racket nothing would surprise me. Shame on the Flyers.

Last edited by Hkysct: 09-09-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: change of heart
Old
09-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
Politics in Moncton. Some things never change. I watched the tryouts and the blatant politics from Joel Gaultier and Alexander Goaltending were embarrassing. You would think that in 20 years of being involved in this racket nothing would surprise me. Shame on the Flyers.
How is there politics and what does Alexander Goaltending have anything to do with the flyers??Did someone get cut that shouldn't have?

Old
09-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Hkysct

Quote:
How is there politics and what does Alexander Goaltending have anything to do with the flyers??Did someone get cut that shouldn't have?
Sure did. Gauthier kept Landry around over goalies that had way better tryouts. I'm not going to go over exactly why because at the end of the day this is still a kid but he was lucky to make it to the red/white game let alone to the jamboree. Landry is a big supporter of Alexander goaltending and trains there exclusively. Gauthier works for Alexander goaltending. I don't think Landry is making the team but I do think he was kept around to make Alexander goaltending look better because Landry is a decent goalie but he's was kept around for politics and not ability because much better goalies with better tryouts were sent home. We all see coaches make decisions that we scratch our heads over and I've been known to do it too I'm sure, but this was so blatant. Too blatant really.

Old
09-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
Sure did. Gauthier kept Landry around over goalies that had way better tryouts. I'm not going to go over exactly why because at the end of the day this is still a kid but he was lucky to make it to the red/white game let alone to the jamboree. Landry is a big supporter of Alexander goaltending and trains there exclusively. Gauthier works for Alexander goaltending. I don't think Landry is making the team but I do think he was kept around to make Alexander goaltending look better because Landry is a decent goalie but he's was kept around for politics and not ability because much better goalies with better tryouts were sent home. We all see coaches make decisions that we scratch our heads over and I've been known to do it too I'm sure, but this was so blatant. Too blatant really.
I also saw the tryouts and thought max landry was one of the best there. He only let one goal in the whole tryouts so i don't know how you can say that guys out played him. You are obviously an upset parent or kid due to the fact you know who got cut. Don't think there were any cuts until after the jamboree besides the first wave of cuts where anyone that got cut didn't deserve to be there.. When is the last time the flyers took a 15 year old goalie???

Old
09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Hkysct

Quote:
I also saw the tryouts and thought max landry was one of the best there. He only let one goal in the whole tryouts so i don't know how you can say that guys out played him. You are obviously an upset parent or kid due to the fact you know who got cut. Don't think there were any cuts until after the jamboree besides the first wave of cuts where anyone that got cut didn't deserve to be there.. When is the last time the flyers took a 15 year old goalie???
Oh where to start. My season won't officially start for another month or so and I'm already sick of it. I think full time retirement is imminent, but then I'd have to be home all day with the wife. First off, why do I have to be a parent to know about the cuts? I was in the fourplex when BELEC shouted out that landry was still there and another goalie got cut and I heard the general consensus of the people around. Real coaches know that parents are not stupid. they are a pain in the ass, but they didn't get their kid to that level by not knowing a thing or two about hockey. there were a lot of shocked people, and I dare say the landry's were included in that. Secondly, if you were there and kept track of goals you would know that during the jamboree, landry got beat from the blue line on a clear shot with no deflections and no traffic that wasn't exactly a laser beam AND from behind the net that got lost in his feet while he just stood there. landry has always had an issue with his eyes and he losses the puck in his feet in a scramble in front of the net. ( i'm not making this up, this is well known.) I can think of two other goalies that stood on their heads, look far more impressive, faced the same number if not more shots and one of those goalies let in NO goals and is sitting home. you or anyone else will have a tough time convincing me that landry is a better goalie than galloway or michaud. I am specifically at these tryouts to evaluate goalies and i've been doing it for a long time. At the end of the day, the two that are going to make it are collette and grandmaison and thats how it should be. I wouldn't say that grandmaison had a great tryout, but I think at this point he is the right backup to collette if collette decides to stay with the team. there is a reason that landry wasn't invited to the U16 tryouts, because gautier had no say in it. go back and read my post from the start of the camp; you'll see I mentioned that gautier was coming in as goalie coach and it would be beneficial to landry. Since i clearly can't see the future I relied on two things; John Alexander being a pain in the ass and pushing his goalies to raise his program (much the same as Charlie would do I'm sure if he was given the chance) and the person who initially told me that gautier was taking the team while the newspaper was reporting it was cooling. He flat out told me that gautier told him that landry would have a good camp and go far. now that doesn't seem like much normally, but weeks before camp starts my friend is telling me that the impression he got from what gautier said was that landry was going to go far in the camp come hell or high water. I noticed my good buddy john alexander there during all the tryouts and I know he had input with gautier because I saw them talking about the goalies after the ice times. Don't get me wrong, John and I are actually friends to a certain extent, but he went into business to make money and make a mark and promote his goalies. I've had enough talks with him to know that promoting "his" goalies brings in more goalies to his program. My issue here is that I think it was a blatant move on gautier's/alexander's part. Maybe it bothers me so much because I was told it was going to happen and I didn't believe it. Now, the last thing I am going to say is that this blog is fairly useless for getting any information out in relation to the top 1997 players and anytime a person reads something they don't like they accuse someone of being an angry parent. i've said it here before, if this blog wants to be taken seriously, they need to limit it to people who can actually show their bonafide credentials as a coach or a scout. by opening it up to anyone you get idiots who just want to express an opinion on who's the best but not have the requisite knowledge to know why that person is the best. For my part, I'll put my scouting card out there for anyone to see. This will be the last time I post on this blog and i think i'll just stick with dealing with my colleagues who actually know a thing or two about who to watch and who is going somewhere. here's a hint though for you budding scouts in the stands, you often miss the little things that make a player great and focus on the flashy stuff. the greatest goaltenders are the ones that are the quintessential leaders on a team, not just on the team to play. my pick; buy stock in galloway. I haven't seen anything like him in years. he controls the ice when he's on it. he may fade yet, but I can't see it. he has an awful lot of compete in him. good riddance HF Boards. don't bother replying. i won't read it anyway.

Old
09-12-2012, 05:05 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

There wouldnt be many people to post on here if everyone had to be a scout. I'm not a scout, but used to coach and have been in and around the game for decades. Being semi retired, I have lots of time to get to the rink and see the new crops of talent.

Politics is in everything, get used to it or get out of it. All four Midget teams have a player or two that the coaches will take a gamble on. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong, but it's their choice to make.

Old
09-12-2012, 06:22 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
There wouldnt be many people to post on here if everyone had to be a scout. I'm not a scout, but used to coach and have been in and around the game for decades. Being semi retired, I have lots of time to get to the rink and see the new crops of talent.

Politics is in everything, get used to it or get out of it. All four Midget teams have a player or two that the coaches will take a gamble on. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong, but it's their choice to make.
Agreed I have being around teams that a coach has taken a player and people have said he is not as good as someone else but at seasons end he has surprised lots of people, some times coaches go on a gut feeling and that is there choice.As far as politics it is in every aspect of our daily lives and that will never change including hockey.

Old
09-13-2012, 06:54 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Agreed I have being around teams that a coach has taken a player and people have said he is not as good as someone else but at seasons end he has surprised lots of people, some times coaches go on a gut feeling and that is there choice.As far as politics it is in every aspect of our daily lives and that will never change including hockey.
I was told by a person that caught several games at the jambore in Moncton last weekend and he thinks St John is the team to catch out of the gate this year.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
I was told by a person that caught several games at the jambore in Moncton last weekend and he thinks St John is the team to catch out of the gate this year.
St John had pretty much their team picked and only had about 4 spares where all the other teams had atleast 30 players. Still think Moncton is team to beat.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:02 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
St John had pretty much their team picked and only had about 4 spares where all the other teams had atleast 30 players. Still think Moncton is team to beat.
I think Moncton was expecting a number of players to return from last years team Dallaire is in Dieppe and Shane MacDonald is in Woodstock do you know of any others that stuck with junior teams?How many new faces will be in Monctons lineup this year.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
I think Moncton was expecting a number of players to return from last years team Dallaire is in Dieppe and Shane MacDonald is in Woodstock do you know of any others that stuck with junior teams?How many new faces will be in Monctons lineup this year.
If you go over their roster from last year, besides Dallaire and Macdonald, there is Julien Belliveau who I believe is with the Dieppe Commandos and there goalie Vincint Charest who is also With the commandos, Thomas Mansbridge is also eligable to return, not sure where he is. And Stephen Johnson was also eligable to return but he is with Wildcats obviously

Old
09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
NBfan

Back to topic, top 97s in NB:

Quite a few have made midget teams, including Max Landry (G) in Moncton, which I agree is a surprise to all. Alex Jacob is also there (but injured), as well as Nolan Alward, Kari Belec and Kyle Ward up front and Philippe Myers on D. Mitch Robinson was last cut on D, a shocker with Myers on the roster. Jared Ostroski is playing for a club team in MA, Zach Adams at OHA.

Saint John has Tyler Gunn and Matt McInnis on D, and J.M. LeBlanc and Will Bower up front. D Ross MacDougall is at RNS.

I don't know the final Miramichi roster, but it does include Riley Scott and Francis Theriault up front and Hugo Robichaud on D. There were several more 97s and two 98s with them at the Jamboree; I hear some have made it, but don't know for sure.

Fredericton is loaded with 97s, including 5 of them on a 7-man D: Luc Deschenes, Jake Vance, Matt Paul, David Comeau and Cole Hachey. Also Patrick Daley, Ryan Tompkins, Sam Cameron, Nic Pellerin and Isaac Billings up front, along with 98 Taylor LeBlanc. Eddie Banville was cut by both Miramichi and Fredericton. Dmen Chris Becker and Jon Cloutier went to OHA.

NBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Dogpound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBfan View Post
Back to topic, top 97s in NB:

Quite a few have made midget teams, including Max Landry (G) in Moncton, which I agree is a surprise to all. Alex Jacob is also there (but injured), as well as Nolan Alward, Kari Belec and Kyle Ward up front and Philippe Myers on D. Mitch Robinson was last cut on D, a shocker with Myers on the roster. Jared Ostroski is playing for a club team in MA, Zach Adams at OHA.

Saint John has Tyler Gunn and Matt McInnis on D, and J.M. LeBlanc and Will Bower up front. D Ross MacDougall is at RNS.

I don't know the final Miramichi roster, but it does include Riley Scott and Francis Theriault up front and Hugo Robichaud on D. There were several more 97s and two 98s with them at the Jamboree; I hear some have made it, but don't know for sure.

Fredericton is loaded with 97s, including 5 of them on a 7-man D: Luc Deschenes, Jake Vance, Matt Paul, David Comeau and Cole Hachey. Also Patrick Daley, Ryan Tompkins, Sam Cameron, Nic Pellerin and Isaac Billings up front, along with 98 Taylor LeBlanc. Eddie Banville was cut by both Miramichi and Fredericton. Dmen Chris Becker and Jon Cloutier went to OHA.
Saw Fredericton and Moncton play in Fredericton yesterday and some pretty good 97's. Vance and Deschenes both good size and physical. Deschenes will be one of the better d in the league as a 15 year old. Cole Hachey also a good size but has work to do. Didnt notice any other 97's for Fredericton. For moncton Landry didn't play and Belec, Alward, Ward didn't stand out but were all ok. Myers i thought was very good. Big, physical(took a few penalties for being stronger then the guys he hit), hard shot and smart. I was talking to a parent and they said robinson played really bad in exibition games but surprised he didn't make it.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:46 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Saw Fredericton and Moncton play in Fredericton yesterday and some pretty good 97's. Vance and Deschenes both good size and physical. Deschenes will be one of the better d in the league as a 15 year old. Cole Hachey also a good size but has work to do. Didnt notice any other 97's for Fredericton. For moncton Landry didn't play and Belec, Alward, Ward didn't stand out but were all ok. Myers i thought was very good. Big, physical(took a few penalties for being stronger then the guys he hit), hard shot and smart. I was talking to a parent and they said robinson played really bad in exibition games but surprised he didn't make it.
LOL, you must be a Moncton parent! If you didnt notice any other 97's for Fredericton who where you watching? According to the other post, there are 10 of them on that team! I didn't see the game but they must be some fairly strong 97's on Freddy to have that many, and... they beat the two "front-runners"... with 10 un-noticable 97's... and 1 98...

LOL.. too funny

Last edited by NBHockey: 09-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 06:36 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
LOL, you must be a Moncton parent! If you didnt notice any other 97's for Fredericton who where you watching? According to the other post, there are 10 of them on that team! I didn't see the game but they must be some fairly strong 97's on Freddy to have that many, and... they beat the two "front-runners"... with 10 un-noticable 97's... and 1 98...

LOL.. too funny
Parents with blinders on, sounds like one of the Moncton goalies parents.