HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VI:VE le Quebec Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
I just remember an old friend talking about permafrost in Quebec not beeing able to build an arena, while I was looking at this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...RjBtM#%21&hd=1

Enjoy!!!
Permafrost (areas where the ground remains frozen for a minimum of 2 years) is found in northern Quebec. See http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/auth/englis...and/permafrost Quebec City is not in the permafrost area. But the ground does get frozen during the winter, so digging becomes harder and more expensive during the winter.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I didn't know QC had vineyards. Many people think Prince Edward county in Ontario is too cold to have good vineyards.
There are many great vineyards on the mostly agricultural Île d’Orléans on the St-Lawrence in front of Québec City. (along with pretty much all kinds of fruits and vegetables).

If you ever go the Québec City in the summer, going there and stocking up on great (and fresh) wines, vegetables and fruits for very low prices is a must. (shameless ad)

So yeah, we're not, THAT far north. And frost is only a problem during the winter, it's not nearly permanent!

Old
09-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Blue n Gold Forever

I was in Quebec City a couple of years ago and visited Île d’Orléans. Very nice. Nice w ines and the island is very picturesque.

Old
09-10-2012, 05:17 AM
Blue n Gold Forever

I've also been to a Nordiques game in Le Colisee back in 1993. Two winters ago, I was back to see a Remparts game. The Colisee was packed and I was really amazed how much it reminded me of the old Aud in Buffalo - with all the seats so close to the ice. Seems to me like Le Colisee could certainly house an NHL team while the new arena is being built.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Material Defender

Work in progress in La Vieille Capitale:

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam...hitheatre.aspx

Old
09-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post

What's this liquid stuff coming out of my eyes?

Old
09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
I've also been to a Nordiques game in Le Colisee back in 1993. Two winters ago, I was back to see a Remparts game. The Colisee was packed and I was really amazed how much it reminded me of the old Aud in Buffalo - with all the seats so close to the ice. Seems to me like Le Colisee could certainly house an NHL team while the new arena is being built.
... absolutely it could, no problem whatsoever. In fact, the buildings got a lot of character & charm, a very strong sense of "presence". Particularly so when its empty, which with the Colisee' on numerous occasions since the late 70's Ive had reason to attend & experienced it, soaked up its "vibe" when completely empty of fans, an audience. Reminds me very much of some of the grand old Dames' like Chicago's Stadium, Boston Garden & ya, the Aud in Buffalo for sure. You'd get a really serious rush when the canvas was blank, imagining great games & players from the past, concerts & events that have taken place there. The energy & emotions expended captured & trapped in the beams, walls' & ledges, bricks & mortar. Its a special place, but alas its time has passed. Not really old enough to be categorized "Heritage", being replaced as it needed to be, but kind of sad to see her go none the less.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
madhi19

Quote:

Damn is it not a pretty sight! I think I shall take a screen cap every day until the building is done.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:

It feels great to see the trucks moving in and out. I hope they will move the cam during the construction to give other views because where it is now there will be a lot of ''unseen'' work done around.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
There are many great vineyards on the mostly agricultural Île d’Orléans on the St-Lawrence in front of Québec City. (along with pretty much all kinds of fruits and vegetables).

If you ever go the Québec City in the summer, going there and stocking up on great (and fresh) wines, vegetables and fruits for very low prices is a must. (shameless ad)

So yeah, we're not, THAT far north. And frost is only a problem during the winter, it's not nearly permanent!
Believe it or not, there is a very small amount of vineyards in Manitoba and North Dakota (like three or four or something like that), and Manitoba does have a couple apple orchards in the Pembina Valley, around Morden.

Basically, wine and certain fruit can be produced almost anywhere in extreme southern Canada.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
silvercanuck

ice wine?

Old
09-10-2012, 12:39 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
It feels great to see the trucks moving in and out. I hope they will move the cam during the construction to give other views because where it is now there will be a lot of ''unseen'' work done around.
By the way, they just put another cam on the south side (looking north) of where the building will be erected, but actually we can't see very much the old horse race building is still there, I wonder when they will put it down?

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcameras

Old
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
ice wine?
Sure!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

But need to be in a place like Canada to produce some

Old
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
ice wine?
concentrated liquid sugar & alcohol served chilled (made from frozen grapes on the vine)

Old
09-11-2012, 12:56 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Three excavators have started digging and the first shovelful was dug by a former Nordiques player who was on the roster in 1976 and is now an excavator operator it seems.

Video:

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/...avaux-debutent

Old
09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

While driving home from job I was listening to an interview on CHOI 98.1 with Jean Rochette (French audio) who is one of the top heads of the construction.

He basicly told a lot of what to expect for the next 12 months and I find it was a nice move since people from outside with webcams will be saying it's going slow.

What he said in global is that first stage is they need to move between 9000 (53' trailers) and 18000 (dump trucks) of ground from the site. That should be done in the next month. In october they will demolish the ''hippodrome'' (currently blocking the view on 2nd cam). Upon demolition they will start solidifying the ground all the way till March 2013 by installing supplementary pilons deep in the ground. First frame should pop up around September 2013.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 907
sure does take a long time to build and arena...

Old
09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
sure does take a long time to build and arena...
In Winnipeg the MTS Centre broke ground on April 16, 2003 and was opened Nov 16, 2004.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:53 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
In Winnipeg the MTS Centre broke ground on April 16, 2003 and was opened Nov 16, 2004.
Maybe that why they are doing overtime already it almost 7PM and they are still digging! I swear that stream is addictive I been checking it almost every hour!

Old
09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Maybe that why they are doing overtime already it almost 7PM and they are still digging! I swear that stream is addictive I been checking it almost every hour!
They are supposed to work 14 hours/day, 6 days a week.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
The main reasons it's different here are:

That the ground isn't strong enough to hold the arena or standard foundations. Therefor there will need to be giant steel ''Deep foundations'' (pieux) hammered into the ground and then have concrete poured in those before any work can get done.

Also we'll need to destroy the Hypodrome, tie the new arena to the former ''ludoplexe'' building, build all the fancy Québecor studios inside.....

Also, it will be much, much bigger then the MTS Center (almost 19 000 seats) and therefore will need to be much, much bigger.

So yeah..... it's quite a project!

Old
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
The main reasons it's different here are:

That the ground isn't strong enough to hold the arena or standard foundations. Therefor there will need to be giant steel ''Deep foundations'' (pieux) hammered into the ground and then have concrete poured in those before any work can get done.

Also we'll need to destroy the Hypodrome, tie the new arena to the former ''ludoplexe'' building, build all the fancy Québecor studios inside.....

Also, it will be much, much bigger then the MTS Center (almost 19 000 seats) and therefore will need to be much, much bigger.

So yeah..... it's quite a project!
Stupid question since I know Montreal is 150 miles away but is that why Bell Centre took 3 years as well?

Old
09-15-2012, 09:39 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Stupid question since I know Montreal is 150 miles away but is that why Bell Centre took 3 years as well?
I would not say exactly because of that. Bell Centre was build with a plethora of existing infrastructure right next to it (Windsor Train Station i.e.).

There is always this thing in Quebec with construction, just like about how our roads are worse than those just a few 100 miles south of the board and across the Rideau Canal while still costing about 2x more to build money and time wise.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
gravyleaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

There is always this thing in Quebec with construction, just like about how our roads are worse than those just a few 100 miles south of the board and across the Rideau Canal while still costing about 2x more to build money and time wise.
I don't know if this applies anymore but labor can be costly and take extra time in Quebec because of the way each task and worker is compartmentalized.

http://www.iedm.org/node/2240
Quote:
Employers are required to hire only workers holding certificates of qualification in each trade to perform work.

Here is an example among many. Ceramic tiles have to be installed by a “tile setter” and not by a “resilient flooring layer” (who installs carpets).

Old
09-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyleaves View Post
I don't know if this applies anymore but labor can be costly and take extra time in Quebec because of the way each task and worker is compartmentalized.

http://www.iedm.org/node/2240
Come on. Really.

You think that the people who planned this aren't aware of this fact?

Really?

Closed Thread