HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs pushing QLB to block NHL lockout in Quebec

Old
09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
IMO Bettman is doing a good job by playing hardball with Fehr. It's for the best interest of the NHL in the long run.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
IMO Bettman is doing a good job by playing hardball with Fehr. It's for the best interest of the NHL in the long run.
Right, we must absolutely go into a lockout to get rid of that dangerous CBA that did so much damage to the league

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

This is not going to stop the NHL from locking out the players, just gonna add to the already problems the NHL is overtaking.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:10 PM
shamrun

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

#Habs Gorges believes a positive ruling from QLB would mean players would be paid and have access to Bell Centre & team facilities

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...bour-stalemate

Last edited by shamrun: 09-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.
shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
At the end of the day it amounts to a sense of greed on both sides of the table. I get that the NHLs proposal helps small markets turn profits. At the same time, this is.a CBA that was negotiated 6 years ago "for the small markets". It's the NHLs own problem this has spiraled out of control.

Is there really a reason to lock out the players? We get it. They are playing hard ball. There is no reason they can't negotiate amirably and continue to play this season under the current CBA.

I honestly can't believe how many people are siding with the owners this time. For Christ sakes, as I mentioned above this is the same CBA the NHL and Buttman were creaming their pants over just a few seasons ago.

Hockey not as profitable in Nashville as Toronto or Montreal?! Wow who'd have thought that! That's too bad for Nashville.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:55 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Gorges for captaincy.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404969

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Are there any good UFAs out there? This might help getting them signed.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Please make a deal, I don't care who wins it or loses it, I want a full season.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:24 PM
JackieChan

If the Habs players do get paid, I predict they'll just transfer it all to the NHLPA's common fund.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Section 1 of bylaw 24 states teams cannot play exhibition games without commissioner approval.

So that option is likely out for the Habs if they are forced to pay their players. Unless Bettman plays ball, which I doubt would happen.

They would be required to open training camp if this went through, so they probably could get away with playing intrasquad games.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
If the Habs players do get paid, I predict they'll just transfer it all to the NHLPA's common fund.
I doubt that. If cole gets paid for instance, he cannot go play in europe as he's not on lockout. Unless i'm missing something, he'd be giving up his pay without possibility of making it back.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

think it's possible some teams dont survive cause of a lockout?

I mean, there's teams who already have a hard time attracting fans to the rink... now if they lose some of the few they have cause there's no hockey, well...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:04 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Why? He's not the one locking out the players. He's not responsible for 3 lockouts in 19 or so years (see Bettman).
Re: Montreal Expos

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:00 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
think it's possible some teams dont survive cause of a lockout?

I mean, there's teams who already have a hard time attracting fans to the rink... now if they lose some of the few they have cause there's no hockey, well...
I'd be interested to know what the Nashville owners think about the prospect of a lockout when they have to pay Shea Weber 26 million dollars in about a ten month period even if they lose a big chunk of the season. Or Minnesota that have already forked over 20 million to Parise and Suter and are due to do the same next July.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Section 1 of bylaw 24 states teams cannot play exhibition games without commissioner approval.

So that option is likely out for the Habs if they are forced to pay their players. Unless Bettman plays ball, which I doubt would happen.

They would be required to open training camp if this went through, so they probably could get away with playing intrasquad games.
With no CBA in place, how much influence over the players does the NHL and it's commissioner have right now?

With no CBA in place, expect most of the players to bolt for Europe as soon as they are locked out.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
With no CBA in place, how much influence over the players does the NHL and it's commissioner have right now?

With no CBA in place, expect most of the players to bolt for Europe as soon as they are locked out.
Bettman controls the office of the commissioner which is legally pretty powerful in the NHL.

With a lockout players generally bolt, but would come back for a return to work for the most part.

If the Habs players get their way with the QLB though, they have no choice. They are bound by their exclusive(non-union according to Quebec law in this hypothetical) contracts to the Canadiens. They can't go to another league under those circumstances.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post

#Habs Gorges believes a positive ruling from QLB would mean players would be paid and have access to Bell Centre & team facilities

Well, I don't know if that would really happen, but I could see it subtly helping Molson to ultimately "win championships" if he decided to be at least somewhat cooperative with the players, if they did get their ruling. I mean, it's not like the Habs are one of the teams which is driving this labour impasse in the first place. It's rich vs. poor in many respects, and the Habs are "rich". If he has to pay the players anyway, he might as well make the franchise look good by not doing anything additionally petty in terms of denying ice/facilities/etc or voicing complaints about it. Show as much class as possible to the players and let their membership see that it's a good team to work for. Most of what happens is out of his hands anyway, so there's no need to make Montreal the center of any negative attention in the labour battle, turn it into a positive as much as possible.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:43 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post

exactly, the habs will be at work but nobody else will be. Won t change anything as far the NHL is concern. There won t be any games because everybody else is locked out

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:34 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

and it would be a full crowd too!!!

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, I don't know if that would really happen, but I could see it subtly helping Molson to ultimately "win championships" if he decided to be at least somewhat cooperative with the players, if they did get their ruling. I mean, it's not like the Habs are one of the teams which is driving this labour impasse in the first place. It's rich vs. poor in many respects, and the Habs are "rich". If he has to pay the players anyway, he might as well make the franchise look good by not doing anything additionally petty in terms of denying ice/facilities/etc or voicing complaints about it. Show as much class as possible to the players and let their membership see that it's a good team to work for. Most of what happens is out of his hands anyway, so there's no need to make Montreal the center of any negative attention in the labour battle, turn it into a positive as much as possible.
He could definately make this into a PR win, with an informal training camp, plus intersquad games, along with players mingling with the fans.

Fan polls indicate that the popular vote is on the players side this time around. Molson can easily informally distance himself from Bettman ( as he is the fan's whipping boy ) and hold these srimmages and camps and allow free fan access.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
He could definately make this into a PR win, with an informal training camp, plus intersquad games, along with players mingling with the fans.

Fan polls indicate that the popular vote is on the players side this time around. Molson can easily informally distance himself from Bettman ( as he is the fan's whipping boy ) and hold these srimmages and camps and allow free fan access.
It would be a good excuse anyway, if the QLB mandates it, he can just tell Bettman his hands are tied, sorry. The NHL might just be miffed enough by it all that they'd *want* him to pursue some petty actions in retribution against the PA, like keeping ice and equipment or whatever away from the players, or even bigger things like "laying off"/"firing" the players (which I hear the team would have the right to do in lieu of a lockout, given the lack of union certification there). But Molson would hopefully be in a good position to not follow such requests from the NHL, and instead to just roll with the QLB decisions and keep his players (and fans) as happy as he can in the circumstances.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
DAChampion

According to the CBA, the players are supposed to get ~57% of revenue. Their incomes are supposed to go into escrow.

How much would they get paid if league revenues go to zero?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
According to the CBA, the players are supposed to get ~57% of revenue. Their incomes are supposed to go into escrow.

How much would they get paid if league revenues go to zero?
I'm pretty sure escrow is a CBA thing, not in the standard player contracts. I'd think the Habs would get the paper value of their contracts from the Habs' own pockets.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM
DAChampion

Thank you for the explanation.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Hullois

This is a must read to understand it all:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404989

As usual, Bob is the best. And reading this makes it even harder to accept, someone should get Bettman and Fehr in a room and not let them out until they have a deal.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote