HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Do the Sharks have what it takes

Old
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Zero chance. You should change the thread to 'will the Sharks make the playoffs this year?'

That's assuming there is any hockey this year.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
If they do win a cup while DW is GM I hope to see you there in the celebration thread giving the highest of digital fives to him.
If winning a Cup were my only evaluation criteria for DW that might be true. But since it's not, if they do win with DW still in charge I will just consider a fortuitous accident that helped DW. Other than JT falling into his lap, he's done far more damage than good.

But that's OT. However, DW still remains the primary reason the Sharks won't win a Cup.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Ukapitalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
If winning a Cup were my only evaluation criteria for DW that might be true. But since it's not, if they do win with DW still in charge I will just consider a fortuitous accident that helped DW. Other than JT falling into his lap, he's done far more damage than good.

But that's OT. However, DW still remains the primary reason the Sharks won't win a Cup.
someone doesn't like DW, I wouldn't go as far as the bolded statement though, he has his flaws but being a GM is no walk in the park

Ukapitalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:18 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukapitalo View Post
someone doesn't like DW, I wouldn't go as far as the bolded statement though, he has his flaws but being a GM is no walk in the park
It isn't a walk in the park and there are also some who count cups. B. Burke has shown that he can navigate the fortuitous accident route. He has proven in TO that he is far from the top GM in the league despite his cup. You don't miss 7 playoffs in a row without seriously screwing up. Before the last 3 or 4 years and broke down GMing into categories and DW was middle or slightly above. He has done things since that rating to take the rating down. He isn't the worst GM, but he has definitely not learned from a lot of mistakes. He has made some good and very good decisions as well.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:27 PM
sub_zero94

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVShark View Post
Do the Sharks have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup? Yes, why? No, What do you think they are missing?
goaltending issues but the main issue is up front where they still only have two lines and those two lines can be very easily punished by teams that can skate well..and there are quite a few teams that can skoot well these days.. Clowe is still a top 6 player for them but in reality he IS NOT a top 6 player and proved it last season , the game zooms right by him too fast and as much as he plays like he cares there's not a dam thing he can do about it

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:29 PM
sub_zero94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
nope, a team cant win with two soft players like patty and thornton leading the team, i think its that simple
There was no player that worked harder then Thornton in the last playoffs. it was an issue in the past but isn't now

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
sharski

LOL @ any fans who have the mentality that this team has zero chance of winning a cup... o ye of little faith

we are definitely competitive enough to be a playoff team, and if you make the playoffs, anything can happen

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 02:07 AM
NWShark*

THis is silly. You have to be a little nutty and a lot bitter to suggest that this team may not make the playoffs. If they stay healthy, this team is a 5 seed at worst but most likely the division winner again. No matter how good the kings play they don't fair well in the SJ matchup for some reason. I expect some of their players to be a little complacent during the season now that they won a cup.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:10 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
No matter how good the kings play they don't fair well in the SJ matchup for some reason.
I don't really get why people say this. Goals scored wise, the Sharks and the Kings were even in the season series last year.
During the first 4 games of the series, the Kings were 2-1-1 against the Sharks. In Game 5, they should have won if not for a blown call. Yes, they miss calls in every game, but this was was especially a game changer. In Game 6, they were completely dominating the Sharks (it really wasn't even close) until they obviously stopped trying in the 3rd.

Ignoring their lack of effort in Game 6 and the blown call in Game 5, the Kings were still 2-2-2 against the Sharks. I wouldn't exactly call that not fairing well.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:59 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
THis is silly. You have to be a little nutty and a lot bitter to suggest that this team may not make the playoffs. If they stay healthy, this team is a 5 seed at worst but most likely the division winner again. No matter how good the kings play they don't fair well in the SJ matchup for some reason. I expect some of their players to be a little complacent during the season now that they won a cup.
They say it because as of this moment, we are a worse team (on paper) than last year. Winnick, Mitchell, Winchester, White, Moore, Vandermeer out. Stuart, Burish in.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:48 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
They say it because as of this moment, we are a worse team (on paper) than last year. Winnick, Mitchell, Winchester, White, Moore, Vandermeer out. Stuart, Burish in.
You're seriously using that list of players as the reason we're worse? The only players I want back from that list are Moore and winchester and both are still possible. Stuart and Burish means we don't need any of those D and Winnik. Mitchell is a throw away who will be more than replaced by 82 games of Wingels. A healthy Havlat and Zeus and this team is easily better than last years. TJ regaining his confidence will be a big boost too. First player we've had in the Ott mold in a long time.

As I said, this place is silly.

Last edited by NWShark*: 09-09-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I don't really get why people say this. Goals scored wise, the Sharks and the Kings were even in the season series last year.
During the first 4 games of the series, the Kings were 2-1-1 against the Sharks. In Game 5, they should have won if not for a blown call. Yes, they miss calls in every game, but this was was especially a game changer. In Game 6, they were completely dominating the Sharks (it really wasn't even close) until they obviously stopped trying in the 3rd.

Ignoring their lack of effort in Game 6 and the blown call in Game 5, the Kings were still 2-2-2 against the Sharks. I wouldn't exactly call that not fairing well.
The kings had a good first period in the last game. That was it. The rest of the game was even or slightly in the sharks favor.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings ...

vCash: 1004
Firing on all cylinders, yes, but I find being pessimistic lets me still be surprised if they do well.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:19 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
You're seriously using that list of players as the reason we're worse? The only players I want back from that list are Moore and winchester and both are still possible. Stuart and Burish means we don't need any of those D and Winnik. Mitchell is a throw away who will be more than replaced by 82 games of Wingels. A healthy Havlat and Zeus and this team is easily better than last years. TJ regaining his confidence will be a big boost too. First player we've had in the Ott mold in a long time.

As I said, this place is silly.
But they are not back yet, and however you like to discount it losing Moore, Winnick, Winchester, Mitchell is a significant loss. Stuart helps a lot, Burish is a 4th liner, big deal.

Yes Havlat being healthy helps, but that's a presumption that he will be healthy (all season). Wingels, Galiardi, Zeus having better seasons is nowhere near guaranteed. We'll be lucky if one of those guys has a great season.

I'm simply saying, on paper, right now, this team is worse (slightly). I still doubt we go into the season with this roster, but if we do, discounting intangibles which are unpredictable (coaching for one) the roster is weaker, and thinner.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:27 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
But they are not back yet, and however you like to discount it losing Moore, Winnick, Winchester, Mitchell is a significant loss. Stuart helps a lot, Burish is a 4th liner, big deal.

Yes Havlat being healthy helps, but that's a presumption that he will be healthy (all season). Wingels, Galiardi, Zeus having better seasons is nowhere near guaranteed. We'll be lucky if one of those guys has a great season.

I'm simply saying, on paper, right now, this team is worse (slightly). I still doubt we go into the season with this roster, but if we do, discounting intangibles which are unpredictable (coaching for one) the roster is weaker, and thinner.
I'm not high on the roster, but come on, of that list the only one I miss is Winnik, and Burish is a very similar player. Moore is a good player, but he was absolute crap with the Sharks, Mitchell isa 4th liner, Winchester is a 4th liner. Personally I think the team is slightly better than the team they ended the season. Dumped some deadweight in Mitchell and Wincester, lost a guy who wasn't a difference maker in Moore, made a lateral move from Winnik to Burish, and added a #4 defenseman in Stuart. Plus, Galiardi will be healthy, and guys like Couture, Clowe, Burns, and Pavelski will have a nice long off-season to recover from nagging injuries.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
NWShark*

Quote:

As has been said repeatedly here Burish has not been playing 4th line minutes the last 2 years he's been playing 3rd line minutes. He will be a 3rd liner on this team unless someone else performs above their expected position.

Havlat was healthy the 3 previous years before this last one. No reason to think that wasn't anything more than a freak injury.

Zeus has a long history of excellent 3rd line play. One crappy season while being injured does not change his entire career of what he's capable of.

The roster is no weaker than it was last season. In fact it's significantly stronger on the D side. That is a simple reality.

The one thing we can agree on is that I don't believe DW is done. We'll just have to see what else hapens after the CBA is settled.

I mean seriously... Moore, Winnick, Winchester, Mitchell.. that's your list of difference makers? You're kidding right? You can pretty much replace all of them with AHLers and not see a difference.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:41 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
I mean seriously... Moore, Winnick, Winchester, Mitchell.. that's your list of difference makers? You're kidding right? You can pretty much replace all of them with AHLers and not see a difference.
Moore and Winnick are not easily replaced by AHLers, this statement is pure hyperbole. Right now with the additions and subtractions and healthy Havs and Zeus, I'd say we're about the same as last season. Who knows what effect the new coaching staff will have on the roster, but I would have to assume DW is not done and would have to add at least that tweener we've all wanted for so long now before we'd have the depth to be as serious a contender as we once were.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:45 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
As has been said repeatedly here Burish has not been playing 4th line minutes the last 2 years he's been playing 3rd line minutes. He will be a 3rd liner on this team unless someone else performs above their expected position.

Havlat was healthy the 3 previous years before this last one. No reason to think that wasn't anything more than a freak injury.

Zeus has a long history of excellent 3rd line play. One crappy season while being injured does not change his entire career of what he's capable of.

The roster is no weaker than it was last season. In fact it's significantly stronger on the D side. That is a simple reality.

The one thing we can agree on is that I don't believe DW is done. We'll just have to see what else hapens after the CBA is settled.

Moore and Winnik are solid players, both had trouble adapting to a terrible system, and Moore was dealing with serious personnel issues. Yes Stuart is a nice add, and I don't see Burish as equal to Winnik.

Regardless last years team was nowhere close to a cup, barely snuck into the playoffs, and needed to be significantly better. Stuart and Burrish do not make us significantly better. Will we make the playoffs with this roster? Probably, likely more to do with coaching than anything. Is it guaranteed? No, not at all.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
LeeIFBB

Players: Maybe.
Coaches: Surely.
Front office: LOL, no.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
BCShark

no chance. have you guys watched this aging core the last 6 post seasons? not exacly a clutch group of players

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
sharkblood99
Rookie User

This is funny.
What did you guys think this time of year, last year, of the Blues or a 6th and 8th seed playing for the cup?

sharkblood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Slipstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
no chance. have you guys watched this aging core the last 6 post seasons? not exacly a clutch group of players
I hear Pavs is clutchy.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
I hear Pavs is clutchy.
Not anymore.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkblood99 View Post
This is funny.
What did you guys think this time of year, last year, of the Blues or a 6th and 8th seed playing for the cup?
I'll speak for myself, but I absolutely saw the Blues as a top-4 seed.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Kitten Mittons

Hey, at this time time of the year I saw a Philly-LA Stanley Cup final (as did a lot of people). I got it half right. So there.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote