HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

I am voting for replacement players

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
SENATOR

vCash: 500
I am voting for replacement players

I like my sens and I like hockey. And I will be as hell exited to see new faces and see what they can do. It will be some kind of entertainment and experience. And I bet, you can put crocodiles in Maple Leafs uniform and the Air Canada Boneyard will still burst at its seams us usual. The other Canadian teams will do ok. Why not?? There is nothing to lose. Lock them up and bring replacements in baby!

Old
09-11-2012, 09:39 AM
ti-vite

Its a lockout, not a strike.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:46 AM
goalie311

I agree somewhat, but I don't think it would happen anyways - those 'replacement' players would be black-listed, and after the lockout, they'd never get a chance to go pro ever again.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:48 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
I agree somewhat, but I don't think it would happen anyways - those 'replacement' players would be black-listed, and after the lockout, they'd never get a chance to go pro ever again.
Kevin Millar did alright for himself in MLB, Damien Miller too.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Why would you bring in replacements when the current players are willing to come play while negotiations happen?

Replacement workers are brought in when a union strikes, makes no sense to bring in replacements for a lockout

Old
09-11-2012, 10:08 AM
RedWingsNow*

I'd love to see how much money people would pay to watch scabs play in the NHL

Old
09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Langdon Alger*

Replacement players can only be brought in if the players strike, which isn't happening.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

You cant. Québec has anti-scab laws. And anyways, it's a lock-out, so you can't really do it...

Old
09-11-2012, 10:42 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

why don't you just watch the 67's instead?

Old
09-11-2012, 10:46 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I agree with the OP.

I realize its not a "strike" and you can't really do it but if there was a way I would go watch replacements.

I'm sick of this non-sense. This league has the worst labor relations of any league in pro sports. The apparent "best fans in the world" according to Gary, deserve better.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Brodie
voted best

the players were very open about their willingness to play through negotiations.

I hope people are grasping that it's the owners playing hardball here

Old
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Pinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
the players were very open about their willingness to play through negotiations.

It's both sides playing hardball.

Don't give the players a pass after their ridiculous attempt at a proposal calling for AN INCREASE in salaries in each of the next four years.

Bob McKenzie wrote the best article I've read about the situation we're in now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404989

Old
09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post

Just as I hope people realize that the players being open about their willingness to play through negotiations is nothing but a PR Scam because they know it will never happen, for good reason. (See: Donald Fehr, MLBPA Playing 'through Negotiations without a CBA" in 1994....At least until just before the playoffs when they thought they had the upper hand)

Old
09-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
It's both sides playing hardball.

Don't give the players a pass after their ridiculous attempt at a proposal calling for AN INCREASE in salaries in each of the next four years.

Bob McKenzie wrote the best article I've read about the situation we're in now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404989

When someone insults you with a proposal of the kind the NHL threw out, you can respond in kind. I applaud the union for giving them a taste of their own medicine, which was still more creative than the league's proposal. That was a blatant money grab by owners. They're not even trying to say the league is in dire straits.

It would be humorous to see the owners bring in replacements (the lockout vs strike legality notwithstanding). Would they just raid the USHL and small European leagues? 200-300 fans paying $55 each to sit in 18,000 seat arenas?

Old
09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Pinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
When someone insults you with a proposal of the kind the NHL threw out, you can respond in kind. I applaud the union for giving them a taste of their own medicine, which was still more creative than the league's proposal.
Yeah, but this is my point. The NHLPA is no better than the league at this point...they're both being childish (selfish) and refusing to budge on their positions risking another season.

The NHLPA has way more at stake as there are hundreds of players risking a full year of paychecks. I'm not suggesting they should accept the NHL's offer, but to make such a "creative" (ridiculous) proposal and then sit on it doesn't help the situation.

If they expect the NHL to bargain against themselves, which they've already done once by increasing player share to 46%, they're crazy.

Bottom line is players are greedy and selfish, owners are greedy and selfish and the fans are going to lose out. But the players will be losing a lot more than the owners and I can guarantee that whenever they come to an agreement, it will look a lot more like the owners first proposal than the players first proposal.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Yeah, but this is my point. The NHLPA is no better than the league at this point...they're both being childish (selfish) and refusing to budge on their positions risking another season.
Are you kidding me? What positions haven't the players budged on? They weren't the ones that came out with some completely unreasonable proposal that only included total benefits for their side. That was the NHL. The NHLPA came out with a proposal that gave the NHL a bit of what they were asking for and some new ideas that help the NHL in keeping the lower team sustainable while not doing massive contract reductions(which is a scummy move). It's really starting to sicken me at the point that anyone would support the NHL owners and Bettman in anyway when they have been the only ones who have shown an unwillingness to compromise and come up with new agreeable solutions to the problems they have.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Are you kidding me? What positions haven't the players budged on? They weren't the ones that came out with some completely unreasonable proposal that only included total benefits for their side. That was the NHL. The NHLPA came out with a proposal that gave the NHL a bit of what they were asking for and some new ideas that help the NHL in keeping the lower team sustainable while not doing massive contract reductions(which is a scummy move). It's really starting to sicken me at the point that anyone would support the NHL owners and Bettman in anyway when they have been the only ones who have shown an unwillingness to compromise and come up with new agreeable solutions to the problems they have.
You think a 3 year CBA and reverting to the present deal in the 4th year is a reasonable offer or one they expected the owners to accept?

What about the sideshow of asking the provincial govenments to nix the lock out ...
the PA has done nothing but a series of stunts and has not yet begun to really engage in negotiations.

They are hoping that their stunts will keep the players onside as though they are actually doing something , and that they will divide the BOG.

I think all the dust they are kicking up has impressed the ex players in the media and some of their pro union media brothers, but is wearing thin with everyone else.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Pilky01

I would love to see scabs in the NHL. It would be hilarious.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:53 PM
MoreOrr
B4

We have to accept that the League depends on the owners, first and foremost. But in sympathy with the players, any demands they make were originally approved at some time or in some way by the owners. The owners then want to change the rules, and that's when the problems start. In the end, we're all at the whim of the owners. If they decided simply to close down the League... there's little that can be done.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
We have to accept that the League depends on the owners, first and foremost. But in sympathy with the players, any demands they make were originally approved at some time or in some way by the owners. The owners then want to change the rules, and that's when the problems start. In the end, we're all at the whim of the owners. If they decided simply to close down the League... there's little that can be done.
That would be amazing.

Then the owners who are actually running a successful business could just start their own league.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:48 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENATOR View Post
I like my sens and I like hockey. And I will be as hell exited to see new faces and see what they can do. It will be some kind of entertainment and experience. And I bet, you can put crocodiles in Maple Leafs uniform and the Air Canada Boneyard will still burst at its seams us usual. The other Canadian teams will do ok. Why not?? There is nothing to lose. Lock them up and bring replacements in baby!
I believe that in some states it would be illegal to use replacement players

09-11-2012, 01:48 PM
WingedWheel1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I'd love to see how much money people would pay to watch scabs play in the NHL
Somewhere between zero and one dollar.

Old
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
If you want to see minor leaguers play hockey, why not just watch minor league hockey?

Old
09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
If you want to see minor leaguers play hockey, why not just watch minor league hockey?

Well said. Any other direction is simply a step down. NHL costs are also higher, do doubt it makes much economic or marketing sense. People won't pay the same or anything comparable for something lesser in value.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
You can't bring in replacement players under a lockout.

In order to get scabs replacement players, the League would first have to declare an impasse, have it upheld by the NLRB, and then impose their final CBA offer as an interim CBA - plus whatever regulatory requirements there are in Canada. They could then lift the lockout and play under the impasse CBA. The NHLPA would then have the option to strike, players could honor the strike or not, and replacement players could be hired. Even in that case, replacement players might not be legal in Quebec, AIUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Kevin Millar did alright for himself in MLB, Damien Miller too.
As did Brendan Donnelly, Kerry Ligtenberg, and the late Cory Lidle - although they were all banned from ever joining the MLBPA.

Closed Thread