HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don cherry: Ron wilson 'planned destruction'

Old
09-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Federko

vCash: 500
Don cherry: Ron wilson 'planned destruction'

In addition to talking lockout, Canadian hockey icon Don Cherry appeared on Sportsnet The Fan 590's Brady & Lang in the Morning on Tuesday and said that former Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson's handling of goaltender James Reimer was "a disaster" and that he "tried to destroy him."

Listen to the full interview below.

Link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...s_destruction/

Can anyone re-cap this? I can't listen here at work! Thanks.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

He's right on his point about the lock-out. Why the hell don't they start sooner? They're asking for a lock-out starting so late. This should've been dealt with a long time ago and not scurry to put it together near the end.

People can say he's senile, but the guy just loves his hockey.

09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He's right on his point about the lock-out. Why the hell don't they start sooner? They're asking for a lock-out starting so late. This should've been dealt with a long time ago and not scurry to put it together near the end.

If they locked them out earlier (during the summer), what would they be locking them out from?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Federko

What did Cherry say in reference to Wilson & Reimer?

Old
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
What did Cherry say in reference to Wilson & Reimer?
He said when Reimer came back from injury and started him against Boston is what killed him. He should've brought him in gradually but threw him to the wolves and he's right. They shouldn't have thrown Reimer in against Boston because they are the worst against goalies in the league and that's what he says. He also said it was the way Wilson jerked him in and out and didn't give him any consistency in terms of games started.. Which is very true. Wilson played all these ridiculous mind games with the goalies.

And at ACC what I mean is the negotiations. They should've started the negotiations sooner.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

The players weren't interested in a new CBA, that's what took so long.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
mooseOAK*

Despite saying on Friday that he was leaning towards starting Gustavsson tonight, Leafs coach Ron Wilson said he made the decision to start Reimer "about three days ago."

"He's been ready for a while and he wants to play," Wilson said. "He's been stopping the puck and he feels great, that's the most important thing.

"It's not so much what I see. He feels ready to get in there. He couldn't be more ready than he is right now."

That's a pretty irresponsible approach, obviously.

Old
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
He said when Reimer came back from injury and started him against Boston is what killed him. He should've brought him in gradually but threw him to the wolves and he's right. They shouldn't have thrown Reimer in against Boston because they are the worst against goalies in the league and that's what he says. He also said it was the way Wilson jerked him in and out and didn't give him any consistency in terms of games started.. Which is very true. Wilson played all these ridiculous mind games with the goalies.

And at ACC what I mean is the negotiations. They should've started the negotiations sooner.
That's typical of any negotiation, there is no need to cave until a deadline will hit.

As for Wilson, no one knows how he treated the Goalies behind the scenes but I see no reason to think he would jerk them around. Why would he?

Old
09-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
That's typical of any negotiation, there is no need to cave until a deadline will hit.

As for Wilson, no one knows how he treated the Goalies behind the scenes but I see no reason to think he would jerk them around. Why would he?
One point i'm suprised nobody has mentioned why is Sept 15th the end date?

Seems to me that June 30th would make a hell of a lot more sense and give much more 'post deadline' time to negotiate before a new season starts.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post

Seems to me that June 30th would make a hell of a lot more sense and give much more 'post deadline' time to negotiate before a new season starts.
If they were locked out June 30 what would they be locked out from?

Old
09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
29Potvins

Does Cherry's comments on Wilson come off as slander to anyone else? Wilson now has a reputation of being an ******* coach who seems primarily concerned with destroying the confidence and development of young players (even at the expense of the team's success and his job). I mean come on guys, I know Cherry's a respected figure in hockey, but let's think whether some of the things he says are idiotic.

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

People involved have important hockey related things to do in the months leading up to June 30.

Old
09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Does Cherry's comments on Wilson come off as slander to anyone else? Wilson now has a reputation of being an ******* coach who seems primarily concerned with destroying the confidence and development of young players (even at the expense of the team's success and his job). I mean come on guys, I know Cherry's a respected figure in hockey, but let's think whether some of the things he says are idiotic.
I doubt very much that people in Hockey would take Cherry's ramblings seriously.

Old
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Ari91

Sometimes it does cross my mind what it would be like to have a personality like Don Cherry as the Leafs GM

To recap his comments on the lockout and the Leafs:

-Everyone in the world is greedy. Says that with the revenues the league makes and the average salaries that the players make, he can't believe the two sides couldn't get together and get something done
-Thinks it will last a couple of months - a lot of owners down in the states that don't care about the first couple of months of hockey because bigger competitors (NFL, NBA and MLB) are all going on at that time.
-Says that this could setback a franchise like Florida
-Doesn't know how Fehr gets backing from the older guys who are on their way out as well the grinders who make below league average. Says these are the really two groups that are really hurt from a lockout.

-He doesn't get why they couldn't start earlier (though I get the impression that he thinks it may be the league that delayed the start of negotiations)
-Doesn't see how the Leafs are going to improve from last year especially with the improvements other teams have made
-Thinks that the only redeeming thing about this season would be Reimer because he thinks Carlyle will handle him much better than Wilson did
-Says that Wilson destroyed Reimer's development. Mentions when Reimer first came back from injury, Wilson put his first start against the hottest team in the league (Boston) instead of starting him against a weaker team so that he could gradually get going (though he credits Reimer for playing well in the game against Boston).
-The one thing the Leafs have going is if Reimer bounces back because has has the ability to win games all by himself
-Says that the writing on the wall regarding Gus most likely not coming back, he didn't agree with giving Gus the starts so many times over Reimer. Said that the experience for Reimer could have allowed him to get over it instead of getting bench in favour of Gus every time the team loses while Reimer's in net.
-Basically says that Reimer is the only thing going for the Leafs to make playoffs (no pressure Reimer, lol)
-The interviewer asked with a full camp and season under Carlyle, will the Leafs be better and Don replied 'well they can't be any worse' LOL
-He says that Carlyle needs to be patient with them unlike Wilson who was constantly yelling at them and compared it to whipping a dead horse
-Says that he can't believe Burke isn't going after a big bodied centre but he also acknowledges that they aren't easy to come by

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:50 PM
29Potvins

Quote:
I doubt very much that people in Hockey would take Cherry's ramblings seriously.
Yeah, you're right. I just have this great memory of watching Coach's Corner as a child. Now is a different story.

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

Good point. It would negate the ridiculous contracts that Parise and Suter didn't deserve. It makes the owners look like fools when a have not team does that, then the league cries poor. It doesn't help their stance, and it really only hurts us and the bottom salary players.

Now the 'stars' are gonna play lack lustre hockey in Europe and bump some fledgling player from his crappy salary. All so these guys can keep playing without any heart. It will be a holiday for our stars to play in an exotic locale.

I gotta say, I started off hating the owners on this one, especially being I just went through my own 1 year lockout nightmare, but they are all to blame for not wanting to do what's best for the league, but instead what's best for the individual.

If the owners proposed a 50/50 split like the other major leagues along with a small luxury tax, like say up to 54% at dollar for dollar, it would look better for them. It's a moral ground to stand on and not move from.

But they low ball the CBA all the while continuing to throw ridiculous sums of money at below par stars like Parise. 25M over 2 years is ridiculous. The best players in the game don't get that.

The players make a crappy 'proposal' that see them have a wage freeze and still no one is talking about term limits and cap circumvention.

Shame on all parties.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Federko

Interesting comments made by Mr. Cherry..... Does anyone else believe that James Reimer was played around with by Wilson? And if James Reimer's confidence is shot?

Old
09-11-2012, 02:53 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
If they were locked out June 30 what would they be locked out from?
Are you kidding?

Here's a hint: Parise and Suter.

Old
09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Interesting comments made by Mr. Cherry..... Does anyone else believe that James Reimer was played around with by Wilson? And if James Reimer's confidence is shot?
I think Cherry is a little extreme with Wilson. I don't think any coach would act malicious. But I think Wilson wasn't great at handling a young team. It's not an easy task to coach a young team in this spotlight and try to remain calm. I'm sure part of what got these coaches where they are is their intensity along with hockey knowledge.

Old
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Ari91

Quote:

Sept. 15 is when the current CBA ends. Therefore it is the deadline because past that date, there is no legal agreement between the league and players.

As for imposing a lockout earlier - that doesn't create any sense of urgency. By that time, the players have already been paid for their season and about to enjoy their off seasons. What exactly would the players be locked out from? Attending team related events for fans and/or charity?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Of course some will, whether they know what actually went on or not because they have never let that stop them.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Yeah, you're right. I just have this great memory of watching Coach's Corner as a child. Now is a different story.
It's sad watching him ramble on when you remember what he was once like. Same with witnessing Fletcher's reign of dysfunction, knowing how he once was.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Paris in Flames

Wilson didn't handle Gustavsson very well either but meh, what are you gonna do.

Paris in Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Sept. 15 is when the current CBA ends. Therefore it is the deadline because past that date, there is no legal agreement between the league and players.

As for imposing a lockout earlier - that doesn't create any sense of urgency. By that time, the players have already been paid for their season and about to enjoy their off seasons. What exactly would the players be locked out from? Attending team related events for fans and/or charity?
The players are locked out from July 1 if June 30th was the final day of the CBA.

Even without 48 hours of the season itself ending in June would make more sense then 9/15 in my opinion

And my comment was why is 9/15 the date? Would it not make more sense for the CBA to end when the season ends? Why do an entire season worth of signing under a CBA that nobody intends to honor? I know 9/15 IS the date, it just seems random to me and does nothing to speed up the process given how much hindsight we have.

Last edited by Jack Bauer: 09-11-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:05 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
The players are locked out from July 1 if June 30th was the final day of the CBA.

Even without 48 hours of the season itself ending in June would make more sense then 9/15 in my opinion
What are they being locked out from?