HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Sharks have what it takes

Old
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'll speak for myself, but I absolutely saw the Blues as a top-4 seed.
And I absolutely called them getting their ass-kicked by the first decently coached team they faced, and that is what happened.

Trap does not work, no matter what version of it you use. The fact that it worked on Todd is pathetic, and one of the primary reasons i called for his ousting.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
And I absolutely called them getting their ass-kicked by the first decently coached team they faced, and that is what happened.

Trap does not work, no matter what version of it you use. The fact that it worked on Todd is pathetic, and one of the primary reasons i called for his ousting.
You could tell Todd was trying to implement changes, but the players weren't picking them up fast enough. Still, we looked loads better against the Blues in the playoffs than we did in the 4 games in the regular season. I blame Todd for not teaching the system earlier though. :/

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:17 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
You could tell Todd was trying to implement changes, but the players weren't picking them up fast enough. Still, we looked loads better against the Blues in the playoffs than we did in the 4 games in the regular season. I blame Todd for not teaching the system earlier though. :/
Yup, too little, too late. As I've said before I think Todd has the makings of a very good coach, I'm just not sure he's going to be good enough in time for the Sharks. Hopefully Robinson has a big impact.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:26 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 1150
Quote:

IT'S NOT A TARP!

AGGRESSIVE RELOAD!

AGGRESSIVE RELOAD!

Anyway... a trap actually does work very well in the regular season. But any decent coach would never get burned by it in a series.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
IT'S NOT A TARP!

AGGRESSIVE RELOAD!

AGGRESSIVE RELOAD!

Anyway... a trap actually does work very well in the regular season. But any decent coach would never get burned by it in a series.
Lol... ya... still a trap

and yah, Todd got schooled.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Yep, Todd is a full time NHL coach and doesn't know the different methods to beat a trap. It couldn't be the players. You guys are funny some times.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Do the Sharks have what it takes

...On the golf links?

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Yep, Todd is a full time NHL coach and doesn't know the different methods to beat a trap. It couldn't be the players. You guys are funny some times.
I said it was the players.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I said it was the players.
Then it certainly wasn't addressed to someone with your POV. No need to roll your eyes. This seems like it would have been more appropriate.

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Then it certainly wasn't addressed to someone with your POV. No need to roll your eyes. This seems like it would have been more appropriate.
My apologies, oh Grand Master of Emoticons.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Either the players chose to completely ignore him and not execute a trap beating strategy (because they were not doing it) or he does not know how to implement a trap beating strategy. Either way, he is to blame.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:16 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Either the players chose to completely ignore him and not execute a trap beating strategy (because they were not doing it) or he does not know how to implement a trap beating strategy. Either way, he is to blame.
I thought the system was fine (except the PK, which was a huge reason why they lost). Just not enough players showed up to play, whether it was because of injuries or otherwise.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:39 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Moore and Winnick are not easily replaced by AHLers, this statement is pure hyperbole. Right now with the additions and subtractions and healthy Havs and Zeus, I'd say we're about the same as last season. Who knows what effect the new coaching staff will have on the roster, but I would have to assume DW is not done and would have to add at least that tweener we've all wanted for so long now before we'd have the depth to be as serious a contender as we once were.
It's actually not hyperbole. Winnik was 4th and potentially a 3rd liner and Moore didn't play very well. The level he brought last year wasn't anything that couldn't be replaced by Desi or someone else from the AHL team. That being said, if things are right with his wife I expect Moore to be much better and much more valuable to a team this next season. Unfortunately we didn't get to see that from him once his wife was diagnosed.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

It all depends on Michael Handzus. Are top lines are set, are defense is set, but are 3rd line is up in the air. IMO, a teams 3rd liners or "depth players" win championships. It happens every year. Look at Dwight King last year and Chris Kelly/Rich Peverely with Boston the year before. The Mike Ricci's of the NHL. The depth guys are the guys that are going get that big faceoff win, kill that big penalty, or score that huge goal for you in game 7. We had a really great guy at that in Manny Malholtra but we didn't want to pay him what Handzus is getting now. Our success depends on whether or not Michal Handzus can lead a a good 3rd line.

Last edited by Hatrick Marleau: 09-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
It all depends on Michael Handzus. Are top lines are set, are defense is set, but are 3rd line is up in the air. IMO, a teams 3rd liners or "depth players" win championships. It happens every year. Look at Dwight King last year and Chris Kelly/Rich Peverely with Boston the year before. The Mike Ricci's of the NHL. The depth guys are the guys that are going get that big faceoff win, kill that big penalty, or score that huge goal for you in game 7. We had a really great guy at that in Manny Malholtra but we didn't want to pay him what Handzus is getting now. Are success depends on whether or not Michal Handzus can lead a a good 3rd line.
This would appear to be true at this time for this season for sure. I'm not sure that most HFers believe it can happen however.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
It all depends on Michael Handzus. Are top lines are set, are defense is set, but are 3rd line is up in the air. IMO, a teams 3rd liners or "depth players" win championships. It happens every year. Look at Dwight King last year and Chris Kelly/Rich Peverely with Boston the year before. The Mike Ricci's of the NHL. The depth guys are the guys that are going get that big faceoff win, kill that big penalty, or score that huge goal for you in game 7. We had a really great guy at that in Manny Malholtra but we didn't want to pay him what Handzus is getting now. Are success depends on whether or not Michal Handzus can lead a a good 3rd line.
Good point, but why did you say "are" instead of "our"? O_o

BigDmitriy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

Mr. Boss man isn't done. Just hope what's to be done won't be another Ginner deal.

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
Good point, but why did you say "are" instead of "our"? O_o
Typo lol

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote