HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Player with the hardest work ethic?

Old
09-08-2012, 02:06 AM
AleksandarN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i think of gretzky like i think of kobe bryant. just a ridiculous dedication to bettering themselves on the court/ice and true students of the game. i hate kobe the person but begrudgingly respect the hell out of kobe the professional. someone wrote some years ago, when lebron was out "building his brand," kobe spent his summer in the gym developing a low post game to extend his prime. later, after watching an old kobe putting in crazy hours in the gym on the olympic team, while everyone else was out partying and enjoying the olympics, levron started working on adding new dimensions to his game and now look at him, he's playing some of the best basketball we've ever seen. similar to mario and gretzky in '87.
bingo. I agree that's is why I laugh at people saying Gretzky would not adapt to the modern era. lol That is all Gretzky did was adapt through perfecting his skills. What makes people think he would not have the drive to do it now. Do you think as a goal scorer that he would not practice more on going top shelf on modern butterfly hybrid goalies out there. I bet he would.

AleksandarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
BobbyAwe

It's hard to imagine a player with a greater work ethic than Clarke (although i hated him ) Who accomplished more with less talent than him?

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish7 View Post
Brian Sutter was the hardest working hockey player that i got to see on a nightly basis. I don't think there has ever been a player who got more out of so little natural talent
All the Sutters were the same way.

Dave "Tiger" Williams comes to mind as well.

In reality though there are probably 100's of guys who are on this list, picking the #1 guy from the #50 guy is impossible.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Bobby Clarke yet. He was voted hardest worker by coaches multiple times and many players praised him for his work ethic.
One thing that's rather undeniable in the modern era vs. the past is that there's been a revolution in dedication and work off the ice and between seasons, starting with Brind'Amour, Roberts and, probably, Chelios. Any answer chronologically before these guys is simply wrong.

The BSBs, including Clarke, were regular fixtures at bars after the games and in the offseason.

Roberts was a regular fixture doing sprints on a bike for 2 hours after the game.

And even late in his career, Chelios' training routine was freaking nuts. Clarke was not waking up at the crack of dawn to go surfing, then cycle up and down hills for 4 hours, run 2 miles on the beach then do a 2 hour superset weight circuit (aka the Laird Hamilton workout) on his 'vacation'.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Little Ball of Hate

Martin St. Louis deserves a mention...

Little Ball of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:02 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Bobby Clarke was my first thought... and Smyl my homer thought.

I'd also say that Gilmour in '93 and Linden in '94 looked like zombies who'd been beaten with baseball bats by the time the 3rd (Gilmour) and final (Linden) round of the playoffs happened. Still, both still lead their teams, played in both ends (and the corners) and scored the clutch goals when the counted. It looked like they'd forfeited years off their lives (or careers) to carry their teams as far as they went.
I don't know if I've ever seen a player skate more in a game than Doug Gilmour in the early 90s. Seemed like he was all over the place on every shift; he must have logged miles going up and down the ice.

I'd throw Ryan Smyth into the Linden/Gilmour category, too. I knew he was past his prime last season when I saw him lose two consecutive puck-battles in a row one game. Im pretty sure that has never happened before.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Alain Racette

No love for Mike Keane?

In addition to being my favourite player from the previous generation, Theo Fleury in his book "Playing with Fire" states that Mike Keane had ZERO talent and that all his success in Junior (and later making the NHL UNDRAFTED) can all be traced to working harder than anyone else he's ever known.

At 5'9" and 180lbs (soaking wet lol), Keane has accomplished more than anyone could ever have imagined. I'm also his size so seeing a little guy succeed in the big leagues after almost everyone wrote him off because of his size is very inspiring.

In this video from 1993, he just gets ROCKED but gets up and continues like it was nothing. Doesn't go after the guy, either, or sic his teammates on him... just continues on, acknowledging it as part of the game. LOVE Mike Keane!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Wait, no Lemieux?

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
vadim sharifijanov
free higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
No love for Mike Keane?

In addition to being my favourite player from the previous generation, Theo Fleury in his book "Playing with Fire" states that Mike Keane had ZERO talent and that all his success in Junior (and later making the NHL UNDRAFTED) can all be traced to working harder than anyone else he's ever known.

At 5'9" and 180lbs (soaking wet lol), Keane has accomplished more than anyone could ever have imagined. I'm also his size so seeing a little guy succeed in the big leagues after almost everyone wrote him off because of his size is very inspiring.

In this video from 1993, he just gets ROCKED but gets up and continues like it was nothing. Doesn't go after the guy, either, or sic his teammates on him... just continues on, acknowledging it as part of the game. LOVE Mike Keane!

also, pound for pound the toughest fighter of his generation. he just murdered guys.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote