HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player by Player Look at the Blue Jackets

Old
09-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Left Wing
Vinny Prospal
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 198
How Acquired: Signed as an unrestricted free agent, summer 2011. Re-signed with the team in the summer of 2012 to a one-year contract.

Analysis: The team's elder statesman up front, Prospal has spent 15 years in the NHL, spread out amongst 7 teams over 1,060 games. Originally drafted 71st overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1993, Prospal made his NHL debut in the 1996-97 season, and scored his first two goals in a game on March 8th, 1997, in Pittsburgh. Why in the heck do I know this? I was there! Prospal has gone on to an impressive, though quiet career as a support forward, and has averaged just over a half point per game in the NHL. After signing with the Jackets last summer, Prospal was a surprisingly prolific scorer on a team of underachievers, and seems to be the early face of a new movement for the Jackets, towards hard work and effort rather than skill and lackadaisical play.

Pros: Great hands, competes, does a lot of "little things"
Cons: Getting up there in gray hair, has lost a step over the years, has had injury issues throughout his career.

Realistic Expectation: I penciled Vinny into the third line left wing spot, not out of spite, but rather his age and the depth that we have at that position. He's more than proven and capable of playing a second line role, and could probably do that for us again this year. At this point he may be one of the favorites for the team's captaincy heading into next year, and with the work ethic and face that he showed last season, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he wore the "C". If he can stay healthy, expect similar production from last season.

Last edited by Sore Loser: 09-08-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Center
Ryan Johansen
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 205 lbs (and counting)
How Acquired: Selected 4th overall, 2010 NHL Draft

Analysis: After struggling through his first pro season, Ryan Johansen will look to come back to the Blue Jackets as a stronger sophomore. By many accounts, Ryan has put on some muscle tone in the offseason, which should help him play the brand of hockey that made him so effective with the WHL's Portland Winterhawks. After a wholly unimpressive 16 year old season with the BCHL's Penticton Vees, "Joey" joined the resurgent Hawks as a 17 year old rookie, and would center the team's top line, playing between Nino Niederreiter and Brad Ross. Stepping up as a young leader, Johansen's draft stock skyrocketed throughout the season, and improved even more at the Draft Combine/interview process. After a failed trade that may have seen the Edmonton Oilers move up to select him, the Jackets in fact made Johansen their choice at #4, and will certainly head into this season with the hope that he takes the next step forward and helps fill the offensive void left by Rick Nash.

Pros: Size, hands, playmaking, can play physical, underrated shot
Cons: Doesn't use his size enough, not an overly quick skater.

Realistic Expectation: I think Ryan is primed for a breakout season this year (or whenever there is an NHL season) ... I saw him a lot in Portland and I know how good he can be. He has a good head on his shoulders, and rather than hanging his head low and being bitter for not getting much ice time last year, he's spent the offseason working hard and trying to get better and stronger, with the hope that he can step into the lineup and contribute more next year. I won't say he'll have a Tyler Seguin type breakout year, but I think it's certainly within reason that he reaches the 50-60 point range and steps into a top-6 role on this team.

Old
09-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Interesting article, thanks for posting

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Center/Right Wing
Mark Letestu
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 195 lbs
How Acquired: Trade with Pittsburgh, November 8th, 2011 (in exchange for a 4th round draft pick)

Analysis: Letestu spent three seasons with the Bonnyville Pontiacs of the AJHL before making the jump to Western Michigan of the CCHA. Letestu was the MVP of the AJHL in 2005-06 with 50 goals and 105 points in 58 games. In his lone season at Western Michigan, Letestu scored an impressive 24 goals and 46 points in 37 games, good for 14th in the NCAA. Following his impressive season, the Pittsburgh Penguins offered Letestu a free agent contract on March 22, 2007, and that fall he stepped into a full-time role with the AHL's Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. After a stint in the ECHL, Letestu burst onto the scene during the 2008-09 season, scoring 24 goals and 61 points in 73 games. After one more year with the Baby Pens, Mark earned a full-time spot on the big squad, however was lost in the mix behind guys named Crosby, Malkin, and Staal (amongst others). After an unimpressive start to the 2011-12 season, the Pens dealt Letestu to the Jackets for a mid-round pick, giving Mark a fresh start with a less-talented team.

Pros: Good skill, hard worker, solid penalty killer, plays multiple positions
Cons: Size, not a high level player, has he peaked?

Realistic Expectations: Some folks think Letestu is capable of a top-6 role on this team, and I can't argue against that. The question I have is: who does he displace to step into a top-6 role? That's been the problem with Mark so far in his somewhat young pro career, and will remain one until he steps his scoring up enough to forge a top-6 role on his own. As it stands, he is a good third line player that can play both powerplay and penalty kill, and is skilled enough that, when placed alongside other talented players, can be an effective depth scorer. In this case, I have Letestu penciled in on the third line, alongside Prospal and Johansen - a line which certainly has some intrigue if/when the season gets under way.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Center/Left Wing
RJ Umberger
Weight: 215 lbs
How Acquired: Trade with Philadelphia, June 20, 2008 (acquired along with a 4th round pick (Drew Olson) for the 19th overall pick (Luca Sbisa) and a 3rd round pick (Marc-Andre Bourdon))

Analysis: Former Ohio State Buckeye RJ Umberger came to the Jackets during one of the franchise's lowest points, following the trade of disgruntled defenseman Adam Foote. Three solid years at OSU meant a bright future for Umberger, however he declined to sign with the Vancouver Canucks, the team that drafted him 16th overall in 2001. After a trade that saw his rights go to the New York Rangers, Umberger was signed to a free agent contract on June 16th, 2004, by the Philadelphia Flyers. Umberger starred in his first pro season with the AHL's Philadelphia Phantoms, scoring 21 goals an 65 points in 80 games. The following year, Umberger became a regular with the Flyers, and after three solid season with the team, was dealt to the Blue Jackets at the 2008 draft.

Following his trade to the Jackets, Umberger quickly became a fan favorite in Columbus, and used his hard work ethic to help propel the team into it's first playoff run in 2009. Through the team's brief first playoff appearance, RJ was arguably the team's best player, and has since gone on to be one of the most consistent forwards the franchise has ever seen.

Pros: Size, blue collar effort, physicality, versatile, durable
Cons: Not a high level scorer but a complimentary piece, can he bounce back from a forgettable down year? Hefty contract price.

Realistic Expectations: I have RJ set into the second line left wing spot, and I think that's a fair hope for him. He's proven capable of scoring in the 50-60 point range, which is where I expect to see him at the end of the next full NHL season, and he's a reliable two-way player that can match up against just about any other line in the NHL. RJU is undoubtedly a key part of our rebuild, as this is the type of player that is in it for the long haul, and has to show the other guys how to work hard and be professional hockey players. I think he's a quality piece, and is exactly the kind of guy we want in that role.

Old
09-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
As it stands, he is a good third line player that can play both powerplay and penalty kill, and is skilled enough that, when placed alongside other talented players, can be an effective depth scorer. In this case, I have Letestu penciled in on the third line, alongside Prospal and Johansen - a line which certainly has some intrigue if/when the season gets under way.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Cyclones Rock

Thanks for your analysis of the players, SL. I think you've done an outstanding job at assessing them.

Enjoy the Chiefs this season. I've been through Spokane a couple of times, but both times were in the summer. Stopped by their "barn" and did an outside tour of the facility.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Thanks for your analysis of the players, SL. I think you've done an outstanding job at assessing them.

Enjoy the Chiefs this season. I've been through Spokane a couple of times, but both times were in the summer. Stopped by their "barn" and did an outside tour of the facility.
On a Saturday night against Tri City, it's an NHL playoff type atmosphere ... really something I didn't expect when I moved here. Thanks for the kind words

Old
09-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Center
Artem Anisimov
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 205 lbs
How Acquired: Trade with NY Rangers (along with Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, 2013 1st round pick; in exchange for Rick Nash, Stephen Delisle, 2013 3rd round pick), July 23rd, 2012

Analysis: Another returning piece in the blockbuster Rick Nash trade, Anisimov arrives in Columbus hoping that a clean slate will provide a solid launching point for what looks to be a promising career. Originally taken 54th overall at the 2006 NHL draft, the lanky forward's best season in North America thus far came in an impressive sophomore campaign in the AHL. In the 2008-09 season, Anisimov posted an impressive 37 goals and 81 points in 80 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack, and has since spent three years with the Rangers, over the course of which he has only missed three games; scoring 46 goals and 108 points in 244 games. With a new locale in Columbus, Anisimov will absolutely be leaned upon to provide a greater chunk of the offense than he was with the Rangers, and with his quick hands and soft touch, should have the ability to do so.

Pros: Size, hands, vision
Cons: Can underachieve at times, will have to find a way to remain focused; is he a high level center or just a quality support guy?

Realistic Expectations: With the Rangers, Anisimov was a bit under the radar and thus didn't face the top defenders in the league. That won't be the case in Columbus, so his ability to battle through it will be key. However, without John Tortorella, the reigns may be loose enough for him to showcase his world class skill, something that he didn't get much opportunity to do in New York. As it stands, his best season in the NHL was 44 points in 2010-11 ... I know he is capable of surpassing that, but the attitude he brings on a nightly basis will decide that. If he competes and battles, this guy is a top 2 center on most teams in the NHL based on skill alone. He's an exciting player, and I would be very happy to see a 50+ point campaign from him.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Forward
Brandon Dubinsky
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 210
How Acquired: Trade with New York Rangers (see above), July 23rd, 2012

Analysis: Brandon Dubinsky comes to the Jackets as another player seeking a fresh start. After going to the Rangers 60th overall in the 2004 draft, Dubinsky has gone on to establish himself as one of the top two-way forwards in the league. After a 40 point rookie campaign, Dubinsky would improve his point totals in each of the next three seasons, culminating in a 24 goal, 54 point, 100 PIM season in 2010-11, before seeing his production drop to 34 points last year. The former Portland Winterhawk has continued to improve as a leader on and off the ice however, and made a name for himself as one of the premier penalty killing forwards in the Eastern Conference. Dubinsky is a heart and soul type player, while he isn't capable of changing the game single-handedly, he is a guy with all of the tools to help his team in any situation; be it a big hit, goal, blocked shot, or even dropping the gloves. Every team loves having this guy around, and every other team hates to play against him.

Pros: Tenacious, hard to play against, plays all forward positions, powerplay/penalty kill, leader type player
Cons: Not a high level scorer, will he be able to transition into such a large role?

Realistic Expectations: I know Brandon Dubinsky very well, as I used to seriously hate seeing his Portland Winterhawks come to town and walk all over our smallish Spokane Chiefs ... That being said, I had the fortune of meeting Brandon, and he is a quality guy that loves to compete and wants to win. He will immediately be a fan favorite in Columbus because of his lunch pail attitude, and I expect him to have an excellent career with the Jackets. He will remind a lot of you of Tyler Wright, because he does everything you expect from a professional athlete, both on the ice and off. He is a higher skilled guy than he gets credit for. I expect him to step right in and be one of the leaders of our resurgence - if he stays healthy, he's a 50-60 point player that will play 20+ minutes a night, and play in every situation.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

All that's left is my version of the top line, and then I'm going to do a full team summary. Since everyone seems to be enjoying the read thus far, I'm also thinking about putting together a similar snippet on each of the top prospects in the system, which would really be more of my forte anyhow. If I do that, I'll go off of the top-20 list that we, the fans on HF boards, voted and put together; rather than going off of my own list or the HF list.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Left Wing/Center
Nick Foligno
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 200 lbs
How Acquired: Trade with Ottawa (in exchange for Marc Methot), July 1st, 2012

Analysis: Nick Foligno was the Senators' first round pick, 28th overall, at the 2006 NHL draft. The son of former NHLer Mike Foligno, Nick's brother Marcus is also a professional hockey player, currently in the Buffalo Sabres' system. Another guy brought in for his combination of character and skill, Foligno is yet another guy who was lost in the shuffle with his former team. Typically placed into third line roles, Foligno's point totals would have placed him second on the Blue Jackets in scoring last year, had he posted the same numbers here. Over the course of his 5 years in the NHL, Foligno has scored 61 goals and 148 points in 351 games. Combining great effort and hard checking on the forecheck, his up and down style is best suited for a complimentary role; however he was crucial to the success the Senators enjoyed last season due to the fact that he did provide some very good depth scoring. It may sound like redundancy at this point, but Foligno is another guy that can play on both the powerplay and penalty kill, and should excel at both.

Pros: Still maturing, his best years are yet to come; physical, two-way tangibles, underrated offensive skill
Cons: Will probably play in a role he isn't ready for; will he be able to score at the same pace on a worse team? Streaky scorer.

Realistic Expectations: I fully expect Nick to be another young leader on this team. He's a team first guy that does all of the little things pretty well, and seems like he wants to be here for all of the right reasons. As far as the new additions up front, I think Nick is likely the most talented overall, and should be primed for a first line role on the team we have right now. I'm a little bit skeptical as to whether or not he will be able to produce enough to help us be successful immediately, however with three first round picks and plenty of young forwards coming up, this guy will not only set an example of work ethic, but will also be a great complimentary guy that can do just about everything, while also putting up points. I think he's still on the upswing of his career, and it's not out of reason that he could be a 60-70 point player alongside some legitimate talent. I call this trade a win for both teams, as both teams not only addressed needs, but also brought in underrated guys.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Center
Derick Brassard
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190 lbs
How Acquired: Selected 6th overall, 2006 NHL draft.

Analysis: Another one of the high draft picks brought up through our system, many may argue that Brassard came into the NHL too early. Even so, he has turned into a serviceable (if not dominant) second/third line type center, something that can't be said for many other high profile players brought up by this franchise. Brassard burst onto the scene full-time for the Jackets in 2008-09, scoring at nearly a point-per-game pace before a season ending shoulder injury derailed what may have been a Calder Trophy type year for Brass. Missing out on nearly an entire year of development certainly could not have helped, as he was not quite the same player after the injury, and has at times struggled to earn quality ice time. Brassard is the type of player that, with competitive, quality, leadership type players around him, could see a U-turn in his young career, which would certainly help offset the loss of captain Rick Nash.

Pros: Hands, high end playmaking skill, underrated shot
Cons: Injury issues, consistency question marks, hefty contract for low production

Realistic Expectations: I would love nothing more than to see Derick bounce back and have a career year this season, but it's little more than a pipe dream at this point. At times, he looks like he's capable of being a Nicklas Backstrom type center, able to set up plays with ease and score at will - and at other times, he's completely invisible on the ice. Perhaps playing alongside a guy like Nick Foligno can help get his career back on track, as Foligno is a player that Brassard played very similar to before his shoulder issues. If these guys can develop some kind of chemistry, we could have a decent scoring line. Brassard is capable of being a major contributor on this team, and I would be very happy with a 50-60 point season from him this year - something that is by no means out of reach. I wouldn't be surprised if he misses those totals completely however - be it less or more. Either way, this season has to be viewed as a turning point in his career, and may decide whether or not he can be a first line player in this league.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Right Wing
Cam Atkinson
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 165 lbs
How Acquired: Selected 157th overall, 2008 NHL draft.

Analysis: After a standout career with Boston College of the NCAA, Atkinson spent most of last season destroying AHL goaltenders, posting an impressive 29 goals in only 51 games. Even more impressive, through 56 AHL games, he has 32 goals. After a late season call-up with the Jackets, Atkinson heads into training camp (whenever that is) as perhaps the most talented right wing in the system - hence my having him penciled in on the team's top line, in spite of the fact that he's only played 27 NHL games. Atkinson is a dynamic goal scorer, with a wicked shot and the ability to find himself in the right place at the right time, able to use his quick release to strike before the opponent even realizes he's there.

Pros: Elite level shot, great hands, shifty skater that doesn't get hit head on often
Cons: Size, not many other tangibles; has to be scoring to be most effective.

Realistic Expectations: While placing him on the top line to start the season is probably a bit hopeful, I don't honestly think there's anyone better for the job than Cam Atkinson at this point. I would make a case for one of Prospal, Dubinsky, or Letestu, but none of them have the finishing ability that Cam does, and with playmakers in Brassard and Foligno on the wing, a pure sniper could do very well. I think he will at least get a look at the start of the year, and will either sink or swim. If he produces anywhere near the pace he was on with Springfield last year, he could be a 40 goal scorer. I don't think that will happen this year, however I do think that he has 40 goal potential at some point in his career, and will be comparable to a guy like Brian Gionta.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

All that's left is my full team analysis, which I'll get together tomorrow, and then I'll start on the prospects (beginning at #20 and working my way forward, naturally). To sum up my roster, for those who didn't see the other thread:

Goaltenders:
1. Sergei Bobrovsky
2. Steve Mason

Defense:
Johnson/Wisniewski
Tyutin/Nikitin
Murray/Aucoin
Erixon

Forwards:
Foligno/Brassard/Atkinson
Umberger/Anisimov/Dubinsky
Prospal/Johansen/Letestu
Boll/MacKenzie/Dorsett
Gillies

Old
09-11-2012, 06:56 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
All that's left is my full team analysis, which I'll get together tomorrow, and then I'll start on the prospects (beginning at #20 and working my way forward, naturally). To sum up my roster, for those who didn't see the other thread:

Goaltenders:
1. Sergei Bobrovsky
2. Steve Mason

Defense:
Johnson/Wisniewski
Tyutin/Nikitin
Murray/Aucoin
Erixon

Forwards:
Prospal/Johansen/Letestu
Boll/MacKenzie/Dorsett
Gillies
Excellent analysis, SL! I can see your lineup being pretty close to how camp plays out, though I wouldn't mind, a bit, if someone (Gilles? Kubalik? Calvert?) can pass Boll on the depth chart. I would particularly enjoy seeing what that second line can do on the ice!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Nobody even noticed (including me) that I missed Fedor Tyutin Shows how much attention this thread is getting

Defenseman
Fedor Tyutin
Weight: 188
How Acquired: Trade with NY Rangers (along with Christian Backman, in exchange for Dan Fritsche and Nikolai Zherdev) July 2nd, 2008

Analysis: Another former NY Ranger on the roster, Tyutin has turned into a serviceable top-4 defender with the Jackets, and is the only remaining player from that four player trade to remain in the NHL. After being selected 40th overall in 2001 by the Rags, Tyutin would do some traveling leading into his NHL debut in the 2003-04 season; spending time in the OHL, AHL, and two different teams in the old RSL. Tyutin would join the Rangers full-time in 2005-06, and has since gone on to play 558 NHL games, totalling 42 goals and 185 points in that time. Tyutin is a well-rounded defender that plays well in all three zones. He makes a good first pass, has an underrated shot, and solid positioning in the defensive zone.

Pros: Big shot, size, skating
Cons: Lacks physical play, still makes glaring mistakes

Realistic Expectations: For the first time since joining the Jackets, I think Tyutin can head into this year with a proper role on the team's second defense pair. There is no longer the pressure for him to face the opposition's top forwards on a nightly basis, a role which he is likely not capable of handling. He was excellent alongside Nikita Nikitin last year, and the two should provide the Jackets with steady depth on the blueline. Expect him to play on the second powerplay and penalty kill units, and roughly 20-25 minutes a night overall. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor excel in this role and have a career year across the board.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

2012-13 Columbus Blue Jackets

Average Age: 26
Average Height: 6’1.25”
Average Weight: 202 lbs

Analysis: The Jackets might be considered by many to be a contender for the first overall pick yet again, however I feel that if there is a season, they will surprise a lot of people. The reasons for this are various – I think that we brought in a lot of guys who are still very young, have plenty of talent and compete, and a lot to prove in new surroundings. There is plenty of grit all around, if the team can develop chemistry early, there is a good chance that we see a very quick turn-around from our rebuild. While Rick Nash is an exemplary player and person, one has to wonder if he was the right guy for the job here, and this year will go a long way towards deciding if the team went in the right direction. As it stands, the salary distribution on this roster is completely different, and every player will have to battle for his spot on this team all throughout the season. There can be no more free passes, no more lackadaisical play – if that starts to happen, it is on the coaching staff to send messages early and often. For the first time ever, we have tremendous depth on defense, and we also have some depth up front. The biggest question marks will be where the scoring comes from and how far the two inexperienced goalies will take us.

Pros: Size, depth, high compete level, new leadership, physical play, numerous players with numerous roles
Cons: Who scores? Who starts in goal? Fairly young roster

Reasonable Expectations: With so many guys with so much to prove, it’s hard placing this team. I definitely think that while we’re short on high end offensive skill, the effort that these guys have shown they can put forth may make that moot. I love our defense corps, I feel there are 11 guys who could play on this team’s blueline this year, and with a quality guy like Jack Johnson leading the way, I think we have a great role model for whichever prospects make the team. I expect us to have three lines that score at roughly the same pace (whatever pace that may be), and it’s very reasonable to think that we have 6 or 8 guys that could score in the 50-60 point range. While nobody is likely to surpass that mark, I think a guy like Ryan Johansen will surprise a lot of people in his ability to be a playmaker. The team needs to restore its confidence in whichever goaltender is playing on any given night. We all saw what Steve Mason’s play has done to this team, particularly that stretch early last season where he was literally being scored on by passes. Confidence is huge in this league, especially with a young team. For me, I think we finish somewhere between 10th and 14th in the West, and earn some respect around the league as a team that doesn’t back down, a real building point for the future of this franchise. I think this has to be our identity from this point forward; a hard working, blue collar type team. Yes, we are beginning to forge an identity, and I like it.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
cslebn

Great thread SL!

Just out of curiosity if anyone has the time, I wonder where we stack up against the league Age, Size, and weight wise.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
blahblah

Quote:

Goaltenders:
1. Sergei Bobrovsky
2. Steve Mason

Defense:
Johnson/Wisniewski
Tyutin/Nikitin
Murray/Aucoin
Erixon

Forwards:
Prospal/Johansen/Letestu
Boll/MacKenzie/Dorsett
Gillies
Thanks for the player analysis. However, I have to say if my name is Thornton I look at the top line and I say "Yum!". That's a great way to pile up some serious minus numbers.

I like your team analysis, although I think our peak is a bit higher. So many wild cards with this team, but baring a complete break down in goal or too many key injuries I think we'll be far closer to 8th than 14th.

Love our defense? Wouldn't go that far. Maybe I could potentially love it in three years. However, I will say it is, bar far, the most NHL competitive defense we've ever had. I still think we have one glaring hole and some depth issues if JMFJ goes down. But it's the best we've ever seen.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Thanks for the player analysis. However, I have to say if my name is Thornton I look at the top line and I say "Yum!". That's a great way to pile up some serious minus numbers.
I'd personally swap the top two lines. Let Brass and Atkinson feast on second-stringers until Attaboy's ready to embarrass the bigs.

That said, there probably won't be much in the way of substantial ice time difference anyways. We're relying almost exclusively on "secondary scoring" sources, it seems.

Also, I want Boll on the bench and Calvert called up. He can forecheck just as well as Gillies IMO, and puts up far more points.

Quote:
I like your team analysis, although I think our peak is a bit higher. So many wild cards with this team, but baring a complete break down in goal or too many key injuries I think we'll be far closer to 8th than 14th.
Interesting. Judging by this and by the below, you seem to have a higher opinion of our forward corps than I do.

Quote:
Love our defense? Wouldn't go that far. Maybe I could potentially love it in three years. However, I will say it is, bar far, the most NHL competitive defense we've ever had. I still think we have one glaring hole and some depth issues if JMFJ goes down. But it's the best we've ever seen.
I think we've got more and better depth than Nashville and Detroit, and if both top-4 pairings can continue where they left off - particularly the TinTins - we could make a case for having among the best bluelines in the NHL. (Not the best by any stretch of the imagination - even in wild fantasyland, the Rangers have us outclassed, and there's a few others that have similar rosy possibilities. But Tyutin-Nikitin really was that incredibly awesome, and I liked what I saw out of JMFJ-Wiz.)

That said, that is a best-case scenario. And those happen to the Jackets approximately never, so we'll see.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Interesting. Judging by this and by the below, you seem to have a higher opinion of our forward corps than I do.
I think we've got a good crop of good two way forwards. You build the lines properly and we can help hide some of the deficiencies I still see with the blue line back. With our group of forwards and our goal tending, our defense just can't be "better than" a teams like Detroit's. It needs to be a lot better.

We are going to be relying on a lot of 1 goal games and protecting those 1 goal leads. I think our group of forwards can help a lot with that even with JMFJ and Wiz playing 25 minutes a night.

Oh and I said it a long time ago, I think starting the season with Cam and Brass on the same line is a mistake. We've got a lot of top six professional forwards. No reason to stick Cam with Brass. There are a lot better options at center in which Cam will still have plenty of opportunities to put the puck in the back of the net.

Without seeing something new from Brass to start camp, I see him being the #3 or #4 center on the depth cart. More likely #4. We need professionals in the top six. Cam carries himself like one and might earn that, I've seen nothing from Brass since his rookie year that suggests he's a professional on the ice. I do not trust Brass and I do not like his lack of consistency. I don't like the way he carries himself when things are going wrong. The only reason I still want him on the team is that he did fight last season when a lot of other players had given up. But that didn't last the whole last part of the season and the season was already lost. I want to see him in a slump with the team still having something to play for. I don't think it will be long before Johansen beats out Brassard on the depth chart. Once that happens, Brassard will have a tough time securing a top six spot and justifiably so.

Last edited by blahblah: 09-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Also, I want Boll on the bench and Calvert called up. He can forecheck just as well as Gillies IMO, and puts up far more points.
I say keep Boll out there. If somebody takes liberties with our smaller guys, I would rather see Boll drop the gloves than a guy like Dubinsky. Unless he has an amazing camp, I would want Calvert in the minors.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Thanks for the responses and debates guys and gals! It's nice to know that I'm at least being read for all the work I put in!

On to the prospects:

#20. Forward Lukas Sedlak
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 207 lbs
How Acquired: Selected in the 6th round (158th overall), 2011 NHL Draft

Analysis: While Lukas Sedlak's point totals won't stand out much (in fact, I question whether or not he'll be an offensive player at all), what makes him a decent prospect is his intangibles. Lukas won better than 68% of the faceoffs he took for the Czech Republic at the 2010-11 U18 WJCH championships, best in the entire tournament. Last season, he began his adjustment to North American hockey by suiting up for the Chicoutimi Sagueneens of the QMJHL. In spite of the fact that he only played in 50 games, he transitioned well, posting 17 goals, 45 points, 57 penalty minutes, and an impressive +24 rating. Sedlak will return to Chicoutimi for his 19 year old season, and will look to improve across the board, while also continuing to play his solid two-way style.

Pros: Good two-way presence, faceoff ace
Cons: Doesn't have huge offensive potential, tops out as a likely 3rd line player.

Realistic Expectations: I think this year goes a long way in deciding what Lukas Sedlak's future may hold. If he shows improvement over last year, there's a real chance that we may have a late round steal. However, if he suffers setbacks or doesn't produce at a higher rate, one may have to wonder if he'll be anything more than an AHL player for us.

NHL Stylistic Comparison: Sami Pahlsson

Old
09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

19. Forward Daniel Zaar
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 170
How Acquired: Selected in the 6th round (152nd overall) 2012 NHL Draft

Analysis: A fairly low-risk, potential high reward pick, Daniel Zaar will look to continue to hone his skills across the pond in Sweden this year. Zaar is a good two-way player with an excellent shot, able to get the puck on and off of his stick quickly and with accuracy. Zaar will need to improve upon his strength and quickness to make it to the highest level, however with his quality shot and solid two-way play, those assets can certainly be brought along in his game.

Pros: Big shot, three zone play
Cons: Size/strength, needs to develop skating speed

Realistic Expectation: Zaar is a long-term project that likely wouldn't see the NHL until he was 22-23 years old, if he gets there. He has middle-6 potential, with more offensive skill than a guy like Sedlak, however he will certainly have to round out the remaining areas of his game. If he's brought along correctly, he could be a solid find in the late portion of the draft, however he is a typical Scott Howson type pick, in that he'll need plenty of time and patience.

Stylistic Comparison: Ruslan Fedotenko