HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout = No preseason Game in Brooklyn.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:22 AM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Lockout = No preseason Game in Brooklyn.

I dont know how this will or will not effect the Isles future, but if there is a lockout the NHL wont be able to showcase at the Barclays center. Obviously there will be next year but that would mean waiting another year closer to making any real decisions, if Barclays is truley an option short or long term.

Thoughts on what it could mean if the Barclays is not tested for (NHL)hockey this year?

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I dont know how this will or will not effect the Isles future, but if there is a lockout the NHL wont be able to showcase at the Barclays center. Obviously there will be next year but that would mean waiting another year closer to making any real decisions, if Barclays is truley an option short or long term.

Thoughts on what it could mean if the Barclays is not tested for (NHL)hockey this year?
If there was a lockout I would get a refund on the 2 tickets I bought for the BS game. I am waiting till next week and hopefully a deal is reached cause if not then the first few weeks might be canceled.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

I was not expecting Wang to make any binding agreements, no matter how the preseason game went.

I know the Barclay's execs are laying down the red carpet, giving him tours of the arena. I don't think it matters at this point. It won't until we get to 2015 and the County runs out of time, has to say to Wang 'this is our last and best offer'.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I was not expecting Wang to make any binding agreements, no matter how the preseason game went.

I know the Barclay's execs are laying down the red carpet, giving him tours of the arena. I don't think it matters at this point. It won't until we get to 2015 and the County runs out of time, has to say to Wang 'this is our last and best offer'.
I am not sure if Wang will even give Nassau until 2015 since they have taken away his negotiating rights via the Nassau Hub RFQ with no timetable of when they will pick the winner.
As far as Brooklyn is concerned, I think something can be agreed upon by 2014 IF Wang can't a deal elsewhere by then since a lease agreement between the Isles and Barclays can't really get hammered out in 2 to 3 months (between the expiry date in Nassau county and the start of 2015-2016 regular season).

Last edited by Steve55: 09-09-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Islanders1932

I'm upset that I won't be able to get there. I hope it is easy to return my tickets.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
TexMurphyPI

If the season starts late, will be preseason games still or camp to reg. season?, if so they can still have a preseason game in Nov/Dec in Brooklyn if it's available.

TexMurphyPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeGood View Post
If the season starts late, will be preseason games still or camp to reg. season?, if so they can still have a preseason game in Nov/Dec in Brooklyn if it's available.
I think it's straight to games.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I think it's straight to games.
I don't think there is any way they would do that. The PA will never agree to that. You can't go from not practicing to playing regular season games. Maybe a shortened preseason, but every team will play at least a week's worth of PS games. No reason one of them can't be at Barclays.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
I don't think there is any way they would do that. The PA will never agree to that. You can't go from not practicing to playing regular season games. Maybe a shortened preseason, but every team will play at least a week's worth of PS games. No reason one of them can't be at Barclays.
I don't recall any preseason games being played in 1995. I believe it was training camp and then straight into the regular season.

EDIT: OK, that's not completely accurate. Pre-season games were played in September of 1994 before the regular season was supposed to begin. The players weren't locked out until October 1st. The lockout ended on Jan. 13th of 1995 and the season began on Jan. 20th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2...95_NHL_lockout

Last edited by Strummergas: 09-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:52 AM
the sweetener

Barclays is getting 2 KHL expo games this year, while not NHL hockey there will at least be 2 pro hockey games there.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Isles72

Quote:

its frustrating that we likely wont get to play this preseason game at BC .

kinda makes ya feel like the hockey Gods will never cut this team a few breaks .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
If there was a lockout I would get a refund on the 2 tickets I bought for the BS game. I am waiting till next week and hopefully a deal is reached cause if not then the first few weeks might be canceled.
Ticketmaster will refund the $$ to you card. I had this happen to me 2x. I think it was around 2002 when Radiohead was headlining a huge music festival out in Calverton then it got canceled. And Serj Tankien canceled his solo tour (after 6yrs of waiting i finally saw system of a down this yr).

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post

kinda makes ya feel like the hockey Gods will never cut this team a few breaks .
Yup. It would've built some buzz and momentum but this franchise gets no breaks. Still paying for those Cups.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post

Totally. I bought a bunch of tickets and had friends coming by from all over the state. Even ones that aren't into hockey but they took up my call to come help save my team by showing up at an important game. Now I'm not sure what to tell them. I let them know there's probably going to be a lockout and the game is doubtful. Don't want them wasting two vacation days from work for a distant maybe. Anyway, even if this thing is re-scheduled, I won't be able to get all those people there on short notice, especially if it's during the week again. I don't exactly live close by either, so I also probably won't be able to swing it on short notice.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote