HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 08:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I believe the Amerks were planning on actually moving to Brooklyn.
I don't think it would have mattered. By then the Rangers had won three Stanley Cups, and anyone who was a hockey fan already was a fan of either club. I don't believe the move would have saved the Amerks.

And I don't believe it would save the Islanders, either. It would be a move closer to MSG, whereas the Amerks would have been trying to get away from MSG.

Also, wouldn't the Rangers themselves need to approve such a move? Into city limits?

It's an extremely risky move if they decide to make it.

For them, hopefully Wang figures out a way to stay out on the Island.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 09-09-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 08:49 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
History.

Good luck selling your franchise to folks who, if they are hockey fans, are undoubtedly Rangers fans.

The Americans in an attempt to save themselves changed their name to the Brooklyn Americans, to try to appeal to Brooklyn-ites. They were already Rangers fans. They still played in MSG. But had they physically moved to Brooklyn nothing would have changed.

Who honestly believes a move several miles deeper into the Rangers market is wise for a team that can barely draw while they are in their own market on the Island.

This isn't like NFL or MLB where the two teams are in separate conferences or leagues. The NHL is one league.

Its suicide.

Basketball is an inner-city sport. NYC can support two teams.
They don't draw because the team is terrible. They haven't won a playoff round in almost 20 years and have essentially been a laughingstock for the majority of that time. Most teams won't draw under conditions like that with the Rangers being the exception because of the location of the arena and companies buying tickets in the lower bowl.

The location of the arena I actually think would benefit the Isles. Easily accessible via mass transit and the LIRR goes into Atlantic Terminal allowing those in LI to access the arena via mass transit as well (something they can't do now.) It would be tougher for those out in Suffolk County to get to the arena but NYC has a population of 8 million. There are plenty of people that are not Ranger fans, casual hockey fans, or not hockey fans in general that the Isles could turn into Isles fans if they put out a good product.

I don't think Barclays could work simply because it's a basketball arena. Capacity is extremely low and the sightlines are terrible in that one end zone. Shame because I actually thought that location could have been good for the Isles.

09-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
I don't think it would have mattered. By then the Rangers had won three Stanley Cups, and anyone who was a hockey fan already was a fan of either club. I don't believe the move would have saved the Amerks.

And I don't believe it would save the Islanders, either. It would be a move closer to MSG, whereas the Amerks would have been trying to get away from MSG.

Also, wouldn't the Rangers themselves need to approve such a move? Into city limits?

It's an extremely risky move if they decide to make it.

For them, hopefully Wang figures out a way to stay out on the Island.
The territorial agreement that the Islanders made with the Rangers says they can move to anywhere on Long Island, including Queens and Brooklyn.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
09-10-2012, 07:14 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
If the Islanders move to Brooklyn, they'll be defunct in a couple of years.

Look at a map to see how close to MSG the Barclays Center is.

The Islanders have survived where they are because they're outside of NYC. Most, not all, but most of their fan base is located out in the Island.

Moving to Brooklyn?

Good luck with that.
You say that as if the LIRR doesn't go directly to barclays. The fans will show up. There's more incentive to go to the games for Isles fans I think. Instead of driving out to the middle of a barren parking lot they'll be in downtown Brooklyn and can enjoy a night out along with the game. It's not a deal maker but it's a contributing amenity.

Hopefully the rink project Messier is pushing for goes through, it could in a generation's time create a bunch of inner city hockey fans, emphasize could though. The biggest obstacle that faces hockey is the cost. Maybe Barclays could offer open rink skate days to local residents on a regular basis to promote hockey and winter sports? Just an idea.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yea but its like 6 miles, maybe less, from MSG.

You really think it would be wise to move into the heart of Rangers territory?

Old
09-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Yea but its like 6 miles, maybe less, from MSG.

You really think it would be wise to move into the heart of Rangers territory?
I'm sure they rather have them move into Ranger territory than Quebec territory.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm sure they rather have them move into Ranger territory than Quebec territory.
That's my point, though, if they do move into Rangers territory, in couple of years they'll end up in Quebec (or somewhere else).

Their best bet is to remain out on the Island. Thats their target audience, thats their market.

For a little while it will be a fad, and then when people realise they're still watching the Islanders lose, people are going to ride or drive in from the Island to the west part of Brooklyn to watch that team? The folk who are hockey fans around the Barclays Center are already more than likely Rangers fans.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
That's my point, though, if they do move into Rangers territory, in couple of years they'll end up in Quebec (or somewhere else).

Their best bet is to remain out on the Island. Thats their target audience, thats their market.

For a little while it will be a fad, and then when people realise they're still watching the Islanders lose, people are going to ride or drive in from the Island to the west part of Brooklyn to watch that team? The folk who are hockey fans around the Barclays Center are already more than likely Rangers fans.
But you mentioned the capacity of Barclays. The Islanders currently sell well under that number. If they do move to Brooklyn, it doesn't have to be permanently. They could stay there temporarily until they get their new arena (if one isn't ready by 2015).

Old
09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

If you have enough top 5 picks even the worst GMs/Owners in the league will get a few of them right eventually. They won't be terrible forever. Another year or two and they should be a competitive team. Not saying they'll be a contender, but they won't be a cellar dweller either.

Old
09-10-2012, 05:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Did some posts get relocated? I can't find them.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If you have enough top 5 picks even the worst GMs/Owners in the league will get a few of them right eventually. They won't be terrible forever. Another year or two and they should be a competitive team. Not saying they'll be a contender, but they won't be a cellar dweller either.
If I lived next to the mausoleum and being that I am a Rangers supporter, I would definitely go to more Icelander games, but I wouldn't ever convert. The same principal should apply to hockey in Brooklyn. The bigger question is will Knickerbocker fans in Brooklyn convert.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
useref15

Old
09-10-2012, 07:30 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

That place will be filled with Knick fans Nov. 1.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im not complaining, but i thought it was an interesting conversation and was looking forward to reading what others think of the subject.

On the Islanders board theres a long discussion on the subject.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:35 PM
nevesis

This thread would rule if we kept it just about the MSG renovation. Not the rust colored Barclays center.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Any new photos?

Old
09-11-2012, 06:51 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Practice facility in Tarry Town, NHL facility in Manhattan, AHL facility in Brooklyn, ECHL facility in Bronx.
If they moved their ECHL team to the Bronx, I would buy season tickets and be at every game. That would kick ass.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
This thread would rule if we kept it just about the MSG renovation. Not the rust colored Barclays center.
You would think so, but this thread was dead until people started talking about the rust bucket. The problem nobody who has any inside information is posting any details, and MSG are total dicks about releasing pics

Old
09-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

What sucks is that I want to see it so bad, now the hockey season will most likely be delayed so me seeing it will be delayed. Unless I go to a knicks game. Concerts or anything else would be useless because the setup wouldnt be the same as a sporting event. Hopefully the earthcam shows us what it looks like when the ice is down and painted, even though my side of the arena isnt visible (400s)

Old
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

The blue seats started going on...you can only see a little, but they definitely are the blue seats!

Old
09-12-2012, 10:17 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
The blue seats started going on...you can only see a little, but they definitely are the blue seats!
Can you snap a screenshot? My webcam won't load for some reason.

09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Can you snap a screenshot? My webcam won't load for some reason.
They have the lights darkened in the entire arena. Very hard to see.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
They have the lights darkened in the entire arena. Very hard to see.
How dare they conserve energy

Old
09-12-2012, 11:21 AM
ratdog07067

I tried to zoom in as much as possible without totally degrading the pic -

Old
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Those seats look like a much lighter shade of blue than the rest of the arena.

Also looks like they decided to definitely not use glass in front of Row A

Closed Thread