HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

vCash: 500
Strongly against bringing Gonchar back.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Strongly against bringing Gonchar back.
I just don't see the need. He won't help us 5v5 and if we really think we need the powerplay help we should bring up Morrow. I would also like to point out that we already have a very productive powerplay. Frustrating or not, it is one of the best in the league.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I just don't see the need. He won't help us 5v5 and if we really think we need the powerplay help we should bring up Morrow. I would also like to point out that we already have a very productive powerplay. Frustrating or not, it is one of the best in the league.
He's entering the last year of his contract. So, there isn't much commitment to him. But as you pointed, there isn't a need for him in the first place, or at least a serious one. Even if he would help the PP (which I think he can still do), it doesn't outweigh the negatives.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
He's entering the last year of his contract. So, there isn't much commitment to him. But as you pointed, there isn't a need for him in the first place, or at least a serious one. Even if he would help the PP (which I think he can still do), it doesn't outweigh the negatives.
The only way I'd want to bring him back is if we go into the trade deadline with Letang injured or something. I love Gonchar but we just don't have a need for him right now.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
The only way I'd want to bring him back is if we go into the trade deadline with Letang injured or something. I love Gonchar but we just don't have a need for him right now.
Which is why I'm surprised that some are entertaining the idea of bringing him back. If anything, the team needs a player quite the opposite of Gonchar.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I never thought I would say this... but in terms of post-season defensive play, I think Paul Martin was just as bad as Gonchar. And unlike Martin, Gonchar is probably one of the top PP QB's in the league for the past 10-15 years.

I do think Gonchar could work here again, but he would need to be paired with a gritty defensive-dman type of guy at all times (which we lack).
Except Martin only played in three games in the playoffs. Scoring PP goals was not our problem & Gonchar isn't anywhere near Martin in defensive play.

Old
09-11-2012, 04:24 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
And how much of the PP success last season had to do with Sullivan ... who is no longer playing for us? And how would bringing up a guy who at this point has no real NHL experience help a potentially floundering PP? I would also disagree with you that Sarge wouldn't fill need. He and Malkin were training buddies last summer and they both had pretty good seasons. They're training buddies this summer, too, plus they've been training with the CSKA Moscow youth team, along with Bryz. I think Gonchar could help this team in a lot of ways, both on and off the ice. That's not to say I'd want to acquire him before the deadline, but I think he still has a lot to offer.

Last edited by DegenX: 09-11-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old
09-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
And how much of the PP success last season had to do with Sullivan ... who is no longer playing for us?
True, that will be an issue. But if the coaching staff can't make a powerplay with Sid, Geno, Letang, Neal and Kunitz work then there is something wrong. But it will be interesting to see. You could be right about missing him.
Quote:
And how would bringing up a guy who at this point has no real NHL experience help a potentially floundering PP?
Because he is really good at the powerplay and its a good way to let him get adjusted to the league without having too much defensive responsibility. He won't be as good as Gonchar on the powerplay, but I'd rather give sheltered powerplay-heavy ice time to an up and coming guy with potential than a guy on the tail end of his career.

Quote:
I would also disagree with you that Sarge wouldn't fill need. He and Malkin were training buddies last summer and they both had pretty good seasons. They're training buddies this summer, too, plus they've been training with the CSKA Moscow youth team, along with Bryz. I think Gonchar could help this team in a lot of ways, both on and off the ice. That's not to say I'd want to acquire him before the deadline, but I think he still has a lot to offer.
I really don't see what being off-season training partners with Geno has to do with anything. Neal is training with Gary Roberts and I don't want him back either.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Shady Machine

Just saw a video of Canadians' players and Colby was wearing a Pirates hat haha.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Just saw a video of Canadians' players and Colby was wearing a Pirates hat haha.
That was actually the Pirate Parrot

Old
09-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Well played sir

Old
09-11-2012, 10:04 AM
JTG

Quote:
Haha. The parrot's beak is so much straighter though.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Flat Stanley

Not really NHL related by Joe Vitale had his High School jersey retired.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
True, that will be an issue. But if the coaching staff can't make a powerplay with Sid, Geno, Letang, Neal and Kunitz work then there is something wrong. But it will be interesting to see. You could be right about missing him.
Honestly, this last season raised a lot of flags for me regarding the coaching staff. There was a mixture of gossip and real information that came out after the season that gave me enough of a pause to come back from the ledge, so to speak, but my mindset regarding the coaching staff is similar to what others think about Martin.

Quote:
Because he is really good at the powerplay and its a good way to let him get adjusted to the league without having too much defensive responsibility. He won't be as good as Gonchar on the powerplay, but I'd rather give sheltered powerplay-heavy ice time to an up and coming guy with potential than a guy on the tail end of his career.
I can see your point, here.

Quote:
I really don't see what being off-season training partners with Geno has to do with anything. Neal is training with Gary Roberts and I don't want him back either.
Guess I didn't really make my point here. I have no idea what either of their off season routine has been before. I do know that last year, they both worked with Kadar. Or, maybe more accurately, Geno worked with Kadar and Sarge was working with Geno. However you want to put it. Neither had the best of seasons in 10-11, but both did much better last season. Some shaky logic suggests that the off season training played a part in that. So, wobbling on to a conclusion that another off season committed to training will again lead to good results.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

gotcha. I don't think bringing him in at the deadline would be the worst idea ever. I just have my doubts that he will be the type of player we are missing.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

According to Renaud Lavois Pens buyout Nick Petersen's contract

Old
09-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

This news and image gives meaning to an otherwise vacuous and dark summer. The man is a beacon of hope. And he's reproduced already, which is good. This world needs more Vitale. NHLPA should consider moving ranks so Joe can be one of the chief player reps. A man of action, he will not sit idly by repeating the soundbites of the day. Joe solves problems.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
According to Renaud Lavois Pens buyout Nick Petersen's contract
Fom what I heard he had the CPZ desease, excessive baggage.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

From Tangradi's facebook

Quote:
Sidney Crosby on linemates: "I read this summer that Tango is in the mix. He high sticked me today. So I guess he is ready to play."

Old
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Thats the kind of striping I would like to see on a Pens jersey. Just a white and black jersey with the only gold/ yellow being in the logo and numbers.

Old
09-11-2012, 04:59 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

With the Hawks signing Rosie a lot of their fans are saying hammer is on his way out...

what do you think about...

Pens: HJALMARSSON

Blackhawks: KENNEDY

Thoughts?!

Old
09-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
With the Hawks signing Rosie a lot of their fans are saying hammer is on his way out...

Thoughts?!
In a vacuum, not considering our D prospects, defintiely, but I doubt the Hawks would do that.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post

Thoughts?!
I'd do it but I doubt the Hawks have interest, they could get a better player in return for him

Old
09-12-2012, 10:35 AM
wej20

Where would Tangradi, Strait and Bortuzzo play if there was a lockout? would they have to go through waivers to play in the AHL?

Closed Thread