HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm: Yak - fla: Gudbranson

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2012, 11:12 PM
lakai17

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Adding Kulikov would be even worse. He's already a top-2 caliber defenseman and he is well on his way to being a legit #1D.

Markstrom is perhaps the best goaltender outside of the NHL, Weiss is an extremely strong two-way #1B center who's only 29 and on a good contract, and Bjugstad is a giant of a two-way center prospect who has tons of upside.

You don't get all that for Yakupov. And you especially don't get to add one of the worst contracts in the NHL to him.

Just awful, awful.
Pavel Bure played for Florida!! Pavel Bure!!!

Old
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Run and gun works when you have a world class goaltender in net. Good luck with your strategy!
Since Dubnyk's as good as Schneider, where's the problem?

Old
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
still far though, still very far. Edmonton have enough young big defensive defenceman in their prospect pool, not all will pan out I do understand.

I know it was Gudbransons rookie season but that +/- is scary for a team that went ro the playoffs.
If you actually watched the Panthers he was even more unimpressive than that +/-. I frequently watched them in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs, and was shocked at how this guy was a top-5 draft pick.

He's got nice size, decent mobility, and a good reach - but his puck-moving ability, hockey IQ, and overall defensive "presence" are practically non-existent. This isn't a guy you take in the top-15 of the NHL draft (similar to Luke Schenn) - he's someone you take in the 20's-40's, allow to cultivate over 5-6 seasons, and be happy with when they become a solid top-4 defenseman (Jan Hejda for example).

To me he's a B-level prospect on that team (barely) - along the likes of a Bjugstad or Petrovic.

If the Panthers wanted Yakupov it'd have to start with one of Markstrom/Kulikov/Huberdeau and include a B-level guy coming this way.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Bunz and Roy are coming!! still developing and if it was all Dubnyk's fault for three consecutive first rounders wouldn't he be playing in the AHL? is Dubnyk going under the radar? it's a team game.
All i stated is that if run and gun is your game plan then you best have a world class goaltender in net. And the fact is that the Oilers do not.

No one stated that Dubnyk was the reason for 3 consecutive first overalls. He wasn't "the" reason but he was a significant part of it.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Thread hi-jacking time:

To Edmonton: Markstrom, Kulikov
To Florida: Yakupov

To Florida: Schneider, Jensen
To Vancouver: Huberdeau

Edmonton gives up one of their young studs to get a tough, top pairing defenseman and the best goalie prospect in the NHL who can make their run and gun system more viable.

Florida upgrades their top forward prospect into a potential franchise winger, as well as bringing their team closer to contention by having an elite young goaltender ready to play now. By taking the Stanley cup fianlists to game 7, they can definitely start making some waves. Gudbranson continuing his development and the addition of Petrovic to the roster will help offset Kulikov's loss, while they get franchise talent at the forward and goalie positions, as well as a solid power forward prospect.

Vancouver clears some cap space and gets their first blue chip prospect in forever who will be able to play a top-6 role and add scoring depth, and eventually develop into talent that can help mitigate the Sedins' decline.

Flame away.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
lakai17

Quote:
All i stated is that if run and gun is your game plan then you best have a world class goaltender in net. And the fact is that the Oilers do not.
A lethal offense is a good defence.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
If you actually watched the Panthers he was even more unimpressive than that +/-. I frequently watched them in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs, and was shocked at how this guy was a top-5 draft pick.

He's got nice size, decent mobility, and a good reach - but his puck-moving ability, hockey IQ, and overall defensive "presence" are practically non-existent. This isn't a guy you take in the top-15 of the NHL draft (similar to Luke Schenn) - he's someone you take in the 20's-40's, allow to cultivate over 5-6 seasons, and be happy with when they become a solid top-4 defenseman (Jan Hejda for example).

To me he's a B-level prospect on that team (barely) - along the likes of a Bjugstad or Petrovic.

If the Panthers wanted Yakupov it'd have to start with one of Markstrom/Kulikov/Huberdeau and include a B-level guy coming this way.
Apparently you and I must have been watching different players. what I saw especially in the 2nd half of a season was a player becoming much more comfortable in the nhl throwing his body around and establishing himself not only as a physical presence but also a leader as well. More than content keeping gudbranson and his low B-Value. Thanks.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
A lethal offense is a good defence.
...said no cup winning team since the 1980's.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:05 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Thread hi-jacking time:

Florida can't afford to trade Huberdeau away today due to center depth. I believe the Bjugstad hype is a little off the radar at the moment, Florida will have to wait til he plays an NHL game.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Pucklington

Quote:

No one stated that Dubnyk was the reason for 3 consecutive first overalls. He wasn't "the" reason but he was a significant part of it.
No he wasn't. If you even bothered to look up his stats with Oilers you would see these, let alone watch a game.

Its easy to form a uniformed opinion about players you don't know about. Price was the reason the Canadiens were the 3rd worst team in the league last year. See I did it too!

Old
09-12-2012, 04:37 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

People need to realize that defensemen takes longer to develop. Gudbransson is gonna be amazing in a year or two. You could even see at the end of last season, that he was much more comfortable playing and logged more and more minutes.

Old
09-12-2012, 04:39 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Thread hi-jacking time:

What the ****...

Florida gets bent over in both trades so badly. Especially the Nucks trade. Awful!

Old
09-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Florida can't afford to trade Huberdeau away today due to center depth. I believe the Bjugstad hype is a little off the radar at the moment, Florida will have to wait til he plays an NHL game.
Huberdeau will most likely be playing wing.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Beezeral

Top prospects rarely get traded for another top prospect.

Last edited by Beezeral: 09-12-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old
09-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
What the ****...

Florida gets bent over in both trades so badly. Especially the Nucks trade. Awful!
Yakupov > Huberdeau
Schneider > Markstrom
Jensen << Kulikov

Imo.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
1990 was their last cup win.

Thanks for the

Old
09-12-2012, 10:21 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Before you try to insult the fans you may want to do a check the facts first.

If there is one thing I learned from HFboards it is that every fan base overrates their prospects.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
50 goal/100 point
you sure you aiming high enough there?

Old
09-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Koto

turning down yak for guds straight up is laughable.

edmonton adding in the OP is also ridiculous.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:13 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Before you try to insult the fans you may want to do a check the facts first.

If there is one thing I learned from HFboards it is that every fan base overrates their prospects.
Luckily both of our respective franchises have a cupboard full to overrate then.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:49 PM
dave babych returns

The OP is certainly an interesting basis for a deal, although since centers are such an issue for both organizations I'd leave Bjugstad out. It's also unfortunate that the Panthers couldn't re-sign Jason Garrison as that'd put them in a great position to pull the trigger on something like this.

Perhaps something like Yakupov and Smid for Gudbranson and Versteeg would work.

The Oilers would have a defense of Nick Schultz, Gudbranson and Whitney without giving up Justing Schultz or Klefbom (or any of the rest of their organizational depth) while still having Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, Versteeg, Smyth et al on the wings and RNH, Horcoff and Gagner down the middle. I think that's much more balanced than what they've got now.

Meanwhile Florida gets a defender able to take on Gudbranson's responsibilities right now in Smid and a potential franchise player on the wing in Yakupov. They've got top tier defensemen in Campbell and Kulikov, then a big step down to Smid and Weaver and then some wildcards in Jovanovski and Kuba. Meanwhile their forward group looks similar but Yakupov is a monster upgrade over Versteeg and should outproduce him more or less right away.

Personally I think Erik Gudbranson is exactly what the Oilers need and could very well be a Chris Pronger type player; they may not have an opportunity to draft a player like that even if they end up winning another draft lottery or two.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post

The Oilers would have a defense of Nick Schultz, Gudbranson and Whitney without giving up Justing Schultz or Klefbom (or any of the rest of their organizational depth) while still having Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, Versteeg, Smyth et al on the wings and RNH, Horcoff and Gagner down the middle. I think that's much more balanced than what they've got now.

Meanwhile Florida gets a defender able to take on Gudbranson's responsibilities right now in Smid and a potential franchise player on the wing in Yakupov. They've got top tier defensemen in Campbell and Kulikov, then a big step down to Smid and Weaver and then some wildcards in Jovanovski and Kuba. Meanwhile their forward group looks similar but Yakupov is a monster upgrade over Versteeg and should outproduce him more or less right away.
The way Versteeg gets traded there has to be an issue there, no? I would decline, but I am a huge Smid supporter. I think he is greatly under-rated.

I would not trade Smid for Versteeg straight up, so that definitely does not make up the gap in value between Yakupov and Gudbranson. I'd rather give up N.Schultz or Whitney.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Lacaar

Geez I don't trade Smid for Gudbranson straight up. I guess since Smid is heading to UFA next year you could argue value there. Edmonton doesn't need young inexperienced defenders and the last thing we can do to acquire one is send one away that's finally benefitting from the experience.

I don't know what to say about Yakupov in this trade. Is he not that good of a hockey player that makes his value lower? or is that Edmonton has 3 other players in similar circumstances that makes people think his value is less?

Old
09-12-2012, 01:08 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
The OP is certainly an interesting basis for a deal, although since centers are such an issue for both organizations I'd leave Bjugstad out. It's also unfortunate that the Panthers couldn't re-sign Jason Garrison as that'd put them in a great position to pull the trigger on something like this.

Personally I think Erik Gudbranson is exactly what the Oilers need and could very well be a Chris Pronger type player; they may not have an opportunity to draft a player like that even if they end up winning another draft lottery or two.
This deal just does not make sense for the Oilers. Yakupov is the most prized player in this trade, and Smid as of right now is better than Gudbranson although in a couple years it will be the other way with Erik probably beingthe better of the two and as nice as it is to have a big dman with awesome potential the Oilers do now have to start winning and Smid would help us more at this point. For Versteeg he is a good player he is just not what we need.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
dave babych returns

Wow I did not realize Smid was such an effective player. I guess you could swap out Smid for Nick Schultz then, but basically what I am saying is that this could be workable if the Oilers send Yakupov and an established defender to the Panthers for Gudbranson and Versteeg (an established winger).

Closed Thread