Notices

Another progress report on Kobasew and Saprykin

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2003, 03:30 PM
The Nhl's Conscience

vCash: 500
Another progress report on Kobasew and Saprykin

Gentleman,I was just looking some updated reports on the progress of C.Kobasew and O.Saprykin......I see that they still haven't done much on the scoring end of things, but I know that many of the Flames haven't either, so I'm curious as to whether they're doing the other thing, on the ice:Backchecking,a little physical play,making the smart safe decisions.......Particularly with Kobasew......He's not scoring much and from everything I've ever heard,that's basically what he does......Do you guys think he will at some point?? What's holding him back right now?? Any and all opinions are welcome.........

Old
12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Big Deaner

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nhl's Conscience
Gentleman,I was just looking some updated reports on the progress of C.Kobasew and O.Saprykin......I see that they still haven't done much on the scoring end of things, but I know that many of the Flames haven't either, so I'm curious as to whether they're doing the other thing, on the ice:Backchecking,a little physical play,making the smart safe decisions.......Particularly with Kobasew......He's not scoring much and from everything I've ever heard,that's basically what he does......Do you guys think he will at some point?? What's holding him back right now?? Any and all opinions are welcome.........
Saprykin has really started to pick up his game lately. Although it may be too early too tell IMO I don't think he will ever become a high scoring first line forward. More of a 40-50 point second line guy. He's been told by Sutter to play more of an agitator type game so he can get more involved, I think he plays best when he fills this role, when he plays a kamikaze sort of style. Contrary to popular belief his defense has been one of the stronger parts of his game this year, and I havent seen any signs of laziness when he's been in the lineup this year.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:36 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Saprykin is playing very well at the moment - hopefully he can be consistant. He flew passed Jovo lastnight, showing his great speed. As Big Deaner said he is playing an in your face kamikaze style, which is where he seems to be most effective. But I think he has to play with linemates that have speed.
Kobasew on the otherhand has not done much, which is why no one has anything to say about him. He was a healthy scratch lastnight, hopefully this will wake him up.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Kobasew has definitely tailed off. He'll need to pick it up or he might find himself in the minors for a stint.

Saprykin is playing more consistently as of late. He's creating chances and working hard. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Stifler

Yeah, I think Saprykin is developing into an Esa Tikkanen type of player. A real agitator that will draw penalties from opposing teams.

Kobasew definitely has the ability he just needs to adapt to the speed of the game and find a nightly routine.

Closed Thread