HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Never forget 9/11/01

Old
09-10-2012, 11:59 PM
NYRKING30

vCash: 500
Never forget 9/11/01

This is was OT but i figured most people will see this here. I just want to take a quick moment to remember the victims of 9/11/01. This event forever changed the country as well as my life as i was 12 at the time and lost 9 people on that fateful day. God Bless America.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET
UNITED WE STAND
USA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proxy.jpg‎ (48.3 KB, 17 views)

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:07 AM
robwrx04

Can't believe it's already been 11 years

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:16 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
Can't believe it's already been 11 years
Neither can I man. It seems like it was 11 hours ago where its still fresh. Here is a little summary of my day that fateful morning ..

I was in 6th grade and the staff hadn't told us what happened as all of a sudden probably from 930 am all the way up until i got picked up around 11/11:15, you would hear about 5 or 6 names of students simultaneously being called downstairs to the office nonstop. I honestly thought there was a bomb in my school as did other kids. Until i got downstairs in the main hallway to see about 200 pus people (parents,kids,staff etc) all in a panic with the most blank stare on their faces which scared me considering I was 12. I asked my mom if there was a bomb in the school and she turned and looked at me crying saying "The Twin Towers are gone, we were attacked". I was young so i just couldn't believe what happened until i got home and saw with my own eyes. My brother was in 11th grade at the time so he left school earlier and he said when he got off the train, he saw people on the other side of the platform which was coming in from the city ( I live in Staten Island) all he saw was 3 guys that worked in the WTC covered from head to toe with blood and some burns with dust screaming "we gotta kill them all, we are going to war and we need to nuke the middle east". Just plain scary, I could be hear for hours telling my full story.

It's very sad that the only day I remember from start to finish like it was yesterday was this day. It will stay with me the rest of my life. God bless the victims and their families, as well as any fellow HF member who lost a loved one that day. I lost 9.

9/11/01

Old
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Never Forget...Never forgive...

My heart goes out to NYC and those affected...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:26 AM
NYRKING30

I remember the home opener of this season and the season long tribute with the red,white,and blue ribbons behind each net painted on the ice and on the players jerseys as well. Also remember the preseason game in Philly when President Bush went on TV to address the nation we are going to war. They stopped the game for his address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2e7zfVCUAAhg5e.jpg‎ (71.7 KB, 22 views)

Old
09-11-2012, 02:57 AM
17futurecap

RIP to all the of the victims who lost their innocent lives on that day 11 years ago. This picture always gets me, and shows how much courage the FDNY, NYPD, and all of the responders showed that day.

Knowing there are people willing to do this make me feel better about the safety of my life. If there are any posters here who are soldiers,cops,or firemen or have relatives in those positions, I just want to say thank you.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:24 AM
English Ranger

Posted this yesterday:

I help a charity which was formed in the name of someone who died during 9/11 from my hometown in UK.

I wrote this blog on its work and thought I would share it with you guys.

http://sweatshoptachinardi.blogspot....nd-100000.html

Thoughts will be with NYC tomorrow.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:02 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Having lost friends myself to terrorism at last years attacks on Norway, I know all to well the horror your city went through (though at a larger scale).

The cowardly attacks on NYC and the brave souls who lost their lives will never be forgotten. I salute the first responders in particular and all the people of your great country in general.

I was 20 at the time, serving in the Norwegian Marine just about to break for lunch, when reports of the attacks started coming in. The attack on our allies - or friends - shook not only my base but the whole country. The world wept for you that day.

Today my thougths are with the people of a country we take take pride in calling our closest ally.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

My uncle who worked in the WTC was stuck in traffic and late to work that day. Never take life for granted.

My thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones and friends that horrible day. We will never forget and will never forgive.

09-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
My uncle who worked in the WTC was stuck in traffic and late to work that day. Never take life for granted.

My thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones and friends that horrible day. We will never forget and will never forgive.
Had the same with my great grandpa (in world war 2... And a submarine)

My condolences to not just those who lost someone, but everyone that experienced this (not being a 3 year old European)

Kreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:00 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Was in 6th grade, the school didn't tell us anything. Some kids knew because they must have found out from their parents or something, but I had no idea until I left school that day and other kids were talking about it while I was walking to my bus. Explained the confusion I had that after school activities were cancelled that day, and I had no idea why when they made that announcement.

My friends lost their father in Tower 1 that day.

RIP to all, never forget.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Still gives me chills, not the good kind.

RIP

Never forgotten. Neither are the men and women who serve.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

You know where I stand. The loss of life 11 years ago was NOT in vain. They made the sacrifice so dozens of future generations of Americans never have to experience what happened on 9-11. God bless the families and God bless everyone who have volunteered their time and efforts to help America heal and move forward.

And to the people who complain about the names being read every year, I, along with everyone else in uniform volunteered to serve and possibly die for our country and volunteered to fight wars so that civilian Americans don't have to. The people who were killed on Sept 11 depended on the country to protect them, and the country (namely the intelligence community) let them down. That's why their names are read. People expect Soldiers< Sailors, Airmen and Marines to die in wars. Nobody expects 3000 Americans to be killed just by going to work.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
This is was OT but i figured most people will see this here. I just want to take a quick moment to remember the victims of 9/11/01. This event forever changed the country as well as my life as i was 12 at the time and lost 9 people on that fateful day. God Bless America.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET
UNITED WE STAND
USA
Nine family members man? Did they all work in the WTC or did they all live close? It's crazy to think one family could lose that many loved ones in a day like that.

09-11-2012, 03:16 PM
h0ckeyman

RIP to all who lost their lives that day.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Baby Punisher

I have a diffrent take on 9/11. I actually slept though the attacks. I had no idea what was going on until I was awakend by Father on my answering machine, he left some cryptic message about the elctions being cancelled & diddn't sound right. I missed the call. I called his office & his assistant told me what happened. I can still hear the sound & tone of her voice as she told me. It did not compute, I remember scoffing at the notion of the towers collapseing. I turned on the TV & there was the replay of tower 1 going down.

I remember gasping & thinking about how I had so may friends working down on various exchanges. Thankfully they all got out. I left my apartment & the streets were almost desolate. I was waiting at a traffic light on Hylan blvd near oakwood & I looked out above my wisheild & I could see the plooms of black smoke, than it felt real too me. That's when it started to think in & I recall saying out loud what a Nice day it was & here are these two huge plooms of black smoke bellowing above.

The rest of the day we all gathered at my friend Anthony's house & just watched the news unfold. People were fileing in & out all day. Anthony's Parents had recently passed away within a few months of each other, his Mother passed away that winter & he said he was glad his Mother did not live to see this, 3 of her 4 kids worked in Finance & were all downtown. His sister finally mad eit home from NYC, she & 3 co-workers had to walk into Brooklyn Than I think they found a cab or bus to get them back to Staten Island. A few of our other friends came by. I waqs restless so My friend Willie & I went to get a pizza, surprinsgly mostly everything was open. Willie & I chated about what we thought would happen next. When we got back to Anthony's house a room full of people eating pizza some still covered in ash watched tower 7 collapse.

I met up with my Father that night. I don't even remember the conversation we had. My G/F at the time who had worked at Lehman Bros. had just taken a new job in NJ & had started a couple of weeks prior to the attack was stuck in NJ & had to stay at her Fathers house. I had a nice dinner that I was going to make for us that night at my apartment. That did not happen.

I really did no wnat to go home, I had bounced around all day & night saw as many diffrent people that I could, but it was late & no one else was around. When I finally got home around 1am I saw my new neighbor who had just moved in to the apartment above me. He was from NJ but just went into the FDNY academy & needed a NYC residence. He was shell shocked. He was pretty much speecless, all he said was that it was a living nightmare & it was a mess. They though them into active duty with no direction, just dig. I did not see much of him after that, he was constantly working the pile. I know he was re-thinking wether he should become a fire fighter after this experiance.

At the time I lived in a garden apartment complex located behind St. Clares chruch. Day after day for weeks I would see Funeral precesions & hear the errey toll of church bells that I used to enjoy, to this day I can't hear a church bell & not think of 9/11. Sadly I saw the same people at many of these funerals, mostly firemen dressed in their formal uniforms, all had the same ashen look on their faces.

The cloud of smoke that hung over the city, but mostly the down town area just never seem to go away, as the days turned to weeks, & weeks turned to months it just never seem to let up. I recall telling people how that cloud can't be good for anyone. It just lingered on & on.

My first trek back to Manhattan was for my cousins 30th birthday party at the China club. Mostly all who were invited attendted. I have heard stories from various people about being scared & frightened to go to the city or be in large groups of unknown people & smelling death that stretched from downtown to 60th street.

I don't recall that feeling, thinking or smelling any of that. I was scared at times, but it was more from being alone. I remember sleeping with the lights & TV on for a few days after the attack. I never had an issue with going back to the city or flying. I had several business trips I had to take in October & November. Once Hockey sason started I was bak in my seats at the Garden.

For a long time after the attack I would close my eyes while in bed & replay the days event's in my head, I would have crazy dreams about planes crashing. A few years latter I was working for UPS, we had an oil tanker explode while off loading oil, in Perth Amboy. The entire Island felt the shock wave, for a brief moment I knew more about what had happened than the meida did & than freaked me out. We had just gone into Iraq & nerves were frayed. I continued making my deliveries & I lept running into an older gentlemen walking his dog over a 3 or 4 block area. Each time we saw each other we made eye contact but said nothing. The final time he said somthing to me; he said "these ******** have us all on the edge of our seats" I replied, "well that's what they wanted."

That's when I reliazed I wasn't ok. I had never really talked about it before, that weekend after thinking about it for a couple of days I finally got everything I had felt off my chest when I met my Girlfriend for dinner. Finally, after amost 2 years I started to feel better.

I decided I wouldn't watch any movies made about 9/11 I slowly stopped watching the documentrys & other news coverage. I watched all the 10 year coverage of the attack & watched how it unfolded in real time the day off. In many ways I was seeing & living those moments for the first time. I decided that I wouldn't watch anymore coverage like that again that would cause me to re-live that terrible day. I will talk about it, that's enough. I can't get those images out of mind. I don't need TV to remind me how terrible that day & the years after were.

I will always remember.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Kershaw

I remember going to my 2nd day of school and while turning on the tv, I turned to the news channel to check the weather and then I saw this. I was pretty young at the time, so I didn't know what was happening. My mom was with me and she began to weep and then I started crying. I kept asking 'what's wrong mom?' and she couldn't put the words together for an explanation. I never saw her like this.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:46 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Ugh. I have a different view on this. but it's not the proper forum for it. So I won't say anything...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:02 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Nine family members man? Did they all work in the WTC or did they all live close? It's crazy to think one family could lose that many loved ones in a day like that.
No luckily for me they weren't family members but 9 people who were either my friends parents that i knew from school and hanging out at the house with when i was young, people from cantor fitzgerald and the FDNY. Some people i knew just from being the neighborhood paperboy when i was little. 2 guys who were firefighters were my youth hockey coaches for 5 years who i was very, very close with and always hung out with his son. I don't know what I would have done if it was 9 family members that day .

Old
09-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Ugh. I have a different view on this. but it's not the proper forum for it. So I won't say anything...
Haha, I'm right there with you--been trying to restrain myself.

Alphaphaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Well obviously we remember those lost and the terrible events of that day, But there's one little positive nugget I always take out of it.

To see an entire country of Americans, liberal and conservative, white and black, from East to West, and everything in between all united as Americans, all caring for each other, all holding each other up; that was amazing.

The way the nation showed strength and unity in the face of despair on that day is what I will remember most.

Now the cynic would say that it shouldn't have taken such a tragedy to unite the nation, but honestly it's just one of those little things you don't think about every day, but when we needed to show it, we showed it. That made me proud.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Also, while I'm at it a shoutout to some friends from other countries who have always kind words regarding the tragedy.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
I'll join this group.

but no matter how I feel about it, I do send my condolences to all who lost someone, and RIP

Old
09-12-2012, 07:11 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I'll join this group.

but no matter how I feel about it, I do send my condolences to all who lost someone, and RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
It's too bad if you guys actually posted what you thought that it would turn into such a **** show for the mods. I'm always interested in opposing thoughts/arguments to my own beliefs.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
It's too bad if you guys actually posted what you thought that it would turn into such a **** show for the mods. I'm always interested in opposing thoughts/arguments to my own beliefs.
Political Board. It's so dangerous, it's hidden