HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Around the League 2012-12 I: Gary and Donald sitting in a tree

Old
09-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

vCash: 50
It's not a good sign that the NHL and the NHLPA are starting to try to assign blame for things not moving forward. It has a very lockoutey odor to it.

If there is a third lockout in 20 years, I think it may turn off some fans for good, seeing as average player salary is higher than ever and league revenue is higher than ever just years after a huge recession. I don't know if they realize how offensive their posturing is.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Foppa2118

How long does the DP expect people to look at that friggin photo of Quincey? It's been up for 9 days now. At least they bumped down the blog post finally with him talking about what a great organization Detroit is. Nothing else going on in hockey except a former DU player that scored one goal in five years signing an AHL deal apparently.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:45 AM
The Shermanator
Lawn Chair Season

vCash: 150
I haven't read this thread

I saw Landeskog post it on Twitter and voila!

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Scarbossa

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I donno, it's not that great.
It's actually a different video, with same name and same thumbnail

Scarbossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's not a good sign that the NHL and the NHLPA are starting to try to assign blame for things not moving forward. It has a very lockoutey odor to it.

If there is a third lockout in 20 years, I think it may turn off some fans for good, seeing as average player salary is higher than ever and league revenue is higher than ever just years after a huge recession. I don't know if they realize how offensive their posturing is.
If there is any significant lockout I will seriously consider not coming back.

Huis Clos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
If there is a lengthy lockout, the next CBA better be for 10+ years.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Foppa2118

Not sure if this was posted somewhere here, but this is a pretty good article on the likely stumbling block in the CBA process.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4429817/

I'm not surprised the same group of billionaires that does everything they can to lobby congress into lowering their taxes during one of the greatest ongoing economic crises, and tries to stare down the other side in the face of the US defaulting on it's loans, also makes up the same group of people that have no problems staring down the PA with another lockout looming, just to prevent having to give up anymore money to struggling franchises.

It's the "there may be a problem, but that's your problem" mentality. The "I'll be damned if I have to give up another percentage point of my billion dollar revenue machine" mentality. It may be water off my billion dollar back, but it's my water, get your filthy hands off it.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Not sure if this was posted somewhere here, but this is a pretty good article on the likely stumbling block in the CBA process.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4429817/

I'm not surprised the same group of billionaires that does everything they can to lobby congress into lowering their taxes during one of the greatest ongoing economic crises, and tries to stare down the other side in the face of the US defaulting on it's loans, also makes up the same group of people that have no problems staring down the PA with another lockout looming, just to prevent having to give up anymore money to struggling franchises.

It's the "there may be a problem, but that's your problem" mentality. The "I'll be damned if I have to give up another percentage point of my billion dollar revenue machine" mentality. It may be water off my billion dollar back, but it's my water, get your filthy hands off it.
Jesus...I absolutely love NHL hockey. Make no bones about it, I'm a junkie. I will be back slobbering all over the product when it returns. I can't help myself. Here's the deal...It's a contract dispute. There's a union involved. Everyone makes more money than I do. They all make their money on folks in my shoes. Whoop-dee-doo.

**** happens.

Fans have two options.

1. Watch the games when they come back.
2. Don't.

It's really that simple. We don't have a voice at the bargaining table. We have a voice at the ticket booth and that's it. If we all want to prevent this **** in the future...quit watching, buying merchandise and going to games one year in advance of CBA ending date. That's the only shot in hell a fan has of making a difference.

Oh...you could also sneak on to the ice and take a dump on the "Thank You FANS!" sign the NHL will be sure to paint when coming back from this next lockout. But with DNA testing and all, I wouldn't recommend it.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:02 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Jesus...I absolutely love NHL hockey. Make no bones about it, I'm a junkie. I will be back slobbering all over the product when it returns. I can't help myself. Here's the deal...It's a contract dispute. There's a union involved. Everyone makes more money than I do. They all make their money on folks in my shoes. Whoop-dee-doo.

**** happens.

Fans have two options.

2. Don't.
I hate the feeling of being used and that is what we are to both sides. Pawns that get sacrificed to save the king.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post

**** happens.

Fans have two options.

2. Don't.

It's really that simple. We don't have a voice at the bargaining table. We have a voice at the ticket booth and that's it. If we all want to prevent this **** in the future...quit watching, buying merchandise and going to games one year in advance of CBA ending date. That's the only shot in hell a fan has of making a difference.

Oh...you could also sneak on to the ice and take a dump on the "Thank You FANS!" sign the NHL will be sure to paint when coming back from this next lockout. But with DNA testing and all, I wouldn't recommend it.
The fans don't have any control over it. We'll all be back no matter if there's another locked out season. The problem I have is that they're taking advantage of it, and the greed of being among the richest people in the world, but unwilling to pay back into a system that made you money, when that system is in trouble.

There's a parallel I see between the owners insisting someone else has to give a little extra to help struggling franchises, and the economic dispute where they refuse to pay a little extra back into the system that made them a billionaire when it's struggling.

Somebody else has to fix it, while they reap the biggest benefits. The greed just astonishes me. I'll never understand it.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Figured I would post this here...

In that RNH v Landeskog thread I had an idea to use some of my statistics testing before I lost all the information after my exam today.

Using a 2-Sample T-Test to determine whether the differences between Landeskog's and RNH's peak offensive performances were statistically significant or not.

The data says my assumption is correct, their offensive peaks this season were very similar (meaning little difference).

The data used was RNH's 35p in 35GP and Landeskog's 30p in 33GP.

Pretty cool when math works out.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Foppa2118

Looks like old pal Vitaly Kolesnik is playing for the rebuilt Lokomotiv team in the KHL. He was in goal for their 5-2 win in their first game back since the crash.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Hejduk nr.1 in the first sleeper group:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641068
Projection: 22 G, 38 A, plus-5, 25 PIM, 25 PPP, 210 SOG

I would be ecstatic if he can pot 22 goals and 60 points next year considering we had no player over 55 points last year.
25 PP points. I guess they will let us have more powerplays next season

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
60 points for Hejduk is very optimistic.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:51 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 586
Quote:
Looks like old pal Vitaly Kolesnik is playing for the rebuilt Lokomotiv team in the KHL. He was in goal for their 5-2 win in their first game back since the crash.

I really liked Koley the goalie. The dude just looked big in the net, too bad he was part of that three-headed goalie monster Q created. God was he ever awful in regards to the handling of our goalies.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
60 points for Hejduk is very optimistic.
I think it's somewhat optimistic but I can see Milan make a nice come back and put up some points now that he doesn't have to worry about being the captain. I think we'll see him rejuvenated and if he plays with PAP, he might reach 25+ goals and 45-50 points.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I wish we'd signed Roszival instead of a 3 yr deal or 2 yr deal for SOB/Hunwick. The guy can actually play despite the age.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I wish we'd signed Roszival instead of a 3 yr deal or 2 yr deal for SOB/Hunwick. The guy can actually play despite the age.
I don't know about that. It would've been riskier for sure due to his past injuries, but I agree that Roszival is better than SOB (somewhat debatable) and Hunwick (less debatable) so it might have been worth taking the risk.

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think it's somewhat optimistic but I can see Milan make a nice come back and put up some points now that he doesn't have to worry about being the captain. I think we'll see him rejuvenated and if he plays with PAP, he might reach 25+ goals and 45-50 points.
I doubt we'll see Hejduk and PAP together even strength. I'd imagine Jones and Downie play on the left side before they switch PAP to the left.

I think he could still have a bit of a rejuvenated year though. I'm a bit worried about how motivated he is mentally though, if he's already resigned himself to not being a top two line player.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
volaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Rozsival? Didn't he die after that vicious, vicious knee by Dustin Brown?

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
I doubt we'll see Hejduk and PAP together even strength. I'd imagine Jones and Downie play on the left side before they switch PAP to the left.

I think he could still have a bit of a rejuvenated year though. I'm a bit worried about how motivated he is mentally though, if he's already resigned himself to not being a top two line player.
I actually don't buy that. I think that's the crutch he used to give up the captaincy and it served him well. We don't need to know the reasons why didn't want to be the captain or why his struggles started at the exact same time they named him.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I'm with you on this and i always thought that we wont get any hockey till after Xmas , at best.
I'll get hockey. Don't need the NHL for it. College and other pro leagues are every bit as entertaining as the NHL is. And just like the last lockout, it's going to take me time to get any interest in the NHL again... last time I boycotted the NHL for the first couple months.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

I see owners trying to negotiate, but players are being stubborn.

It's not endearing me to the players' cause.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post

QFT, the players haven't moved an inch from their initial offer but the league has moved several times and 49% - 47% is more than a reasonable offer. If the NHPA counteroffered with 51-49% we'd be playing hockey in October. **** Fehr.

Muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post

Umm....this Tweet from Kyper seems to indicate otherwise

Quote:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Still no true #CBA talks taking place cause #NHL reluctance 2 discuss anything significant til #NHLPA hands over 10% of next yr salaries.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote