HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season III

Old
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Articles on MacDermid.
http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...-local-players
Quote:
MacDermid is the son of former National Hockey League player and current Owen Sound Attack co-owner Paul MacDermid. He's also the brother of current Boston Bruins prospect and former Attack winger Lane MacDermid.

"I'm more of a skill guy than he is but he's tougher than I am so that's something I have to work on," the 16-year-old Sauble Beach native said of his brother Lane.

"I'm a good passing defence-man and I like to get the rush started. Everything will be a lot quicker here and all of the guys will be bigger and faster. I just have to keep working as if I haven't signed yet."
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...okies-who.html
Quote:
Brother of former Attack tough guy (and current Boston Bruin prospect) Lane MacDermid, Kurtis brings a lot of the same things to the table from the back end. He lead Owen Sound (of the GOJHL) in defenseman scoring this past year too, which suggests that he could bring some offensive elements to the table as well. The Attack have a young team with some openings and perhaps he could grab one.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Interesting bit.
Quote:
a source confirmed to MayorsManor that Lombardi thinks highly enough of the power-forward that at one point earlier this summer, he asked team captain Dustin Brown for his opinion about adding Doan to the Kings line-up.
http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/09/is-sh...-the-la-kings/

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
From the sound of Fehr's press conference, you can kiss the 2012-13 season goodbye. He started by blaming the salary cap for the current problems. He said only leagues with a salary cap have CBA problems.
I hate Fehr. This guy is a ****ing tool bag

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
KingsFan7824

Well, at least with this probable long work stoppage, the Kings aren't heading into it with a terrible finish to the previous season.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:43 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

As a longtime Attack fan, all I can wonder is, really Futa? He looked like an OHL caliber defenceman last season, but an NHL prospect? Uh, not so much.

Crazy he's getting an ELC. Absolutely stunned. He's barely a Top 6 in Owen Sound at 18... Happy for the guy but at the same time, wow.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
As a longtime Attack fan, all I can wonder is, really Futa? He looked like an OHL caliber defenceman last season, but an NHL prospect? Uh, not so much.

Crazy he's getting an ELC. Absolutely stunned. He's barely a Top 6 in Owen Sound at 18... Happy for the guy but at the same time, wow.
I'm guessing with LA's lack of dmen in the junior ranks, they were looking to add someone with size into the system. Like you said, he's probably a long shot from the NHL and may just top out as an AHL depth guy.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:29 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Size and work ethic. Sounds familiar.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm guessing with LA's lack of dmen in the junior ranks, they were looking to add someone with size into the system. Like you said, he's probably a long shot from the NHL and may just top out as an AHL depth guy.
Yeah it could work out like Kolomatis where the guy develops into a top flight OHL defender in a few seasons, certainly possible given that next season some major spots open up on Owen Sound's blue line. But I'm just kind of shocked that LA is spending one of their fifty contracts on a guy with 9 OHL games under his belt and unless other teams had him on their radar he'd definitely still be available in a few years.

Hoping this means a breakout year for him because that'd be a stellar development for an already stacked blue line. I'm just surprised it's a guy like MacDermid considering guys like Keevin Cutting (now an OA) had shown way more at the same age and is miles better than MacDermid yet has been undrafted twice.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Yeah it could work out like Kolomatis where the guy develops into a top flight OHL defender in a few seasons, certainly possible given that next season some major spots open up on Owen Sound's blue line. But I'm just kind of shocked that LA is spending one of their fifty contracts on a guy with 9 OHL games under his belt and unless other teams had him on their radar he'd definitely still be available in a few years.

Hoping this means a breakout year for him because that'd be a stellar development for an already stacked blue line. I'm just surprised it's a guy like MacDermid considering guys like Keevin Cutting (now an OA) had shown way more at the same age and is miles better than MacDermid yet has been undrafted twice.
He must have made an impression during the Kings development camp, where he was an invitee. Kings scouts have a soft spot for players with size and work ethic.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
KingLB

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Size and work ethic. Sounds familiar.
Don't forget Wayne Simmonds wasn't even rated going into his draft and the Kings took him in the second round. He came out of....you guessed it Owen Sound.

Not to mention the Kings have had fewer draft picks the last few years, and used many of them on OA players (only takes a few years to know if they are gonna make it or not) and college guys...I have a feeling they think they have the space available.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 06:57 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Don't forget Wayne Simmonds wasn't even rated going into his draft and the Kings took him in the second round. He came out of....you guessed it Owen Sound.

Not to mention the Kings have had fewer draft picks the last few years, and used many of them on OA players (only takes a few years to know if they are gonna make it or not) and college guys...I have a feeling they think they have the space available.
Oh you don't have to remind me about Simmnds. But Simmonds was an 18 year old rookie and you knew right away the kid was going places. He was a lot more versatile and complete than a lot of similarly aged prospects. MacDermid only has 9 games so Futa must have loved what he saw in some limited viewings or in camp this year to make that call. Tp put it simply, MacDermid isn't even in the same stratosphere as Simmonds in terms of prospect status right now. Then again, nobody thought his brother Lane was going to play in the NHL (let alone the OHL at one point...), so maybe he's on to something.

Old
09-13-2012, 07:14 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Oh you don't have to remind me about Simmnds. But Simmonds was an 18 year old rookie and you knew right away the kid was going places. He was a lot more versatile and complete than a lot of similarly aged prospects. MacDermid only has 9 games so Futa must have loved what he saw in some limited viewings or in camp this year to make that call. Tp put it simply, MacDermid isn't even in the same stratosphere as Simmonds in terms of prospect status right now. Then again, nobody thought his brother Lane was going to play in the NHL (let alone the OHL at one point...), so maybe he's on to something.

MacDermid looked more polished than some of the Older guys with AHL experience at the Development camp.

He also has the right attitude, The whole "I haven't earned anything yet", mindset this kid has is in full bore.

The Kings have soft spots for guys with (Work ethic, Size).

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:48 AM
MsWoof

I have no problem with the NHLPA asking for a lot. They caved on everything last time and the owners are trying to take even more. It sucks that we'll likely lose all or most of the season but they can't get run over again.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I have no problem with the NHLPA asking for a lot. They caved on everything last time and the owners are trying to take even more. It sucks that we'll likely lose all or most of the season but they can't get run over again.
Caved on everything(although not really everything), but the players ended up with more financial and contractual security than they know what to do with.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
The players would have been better off taking the final offer from the owners before the lockout than the one they signed after losing a whole season.

Why do they want to repeat the same thing again? Everyone on the planet knew that 57% was never going to happen in the next CBA as far back as 2 years ago. Why is the NHLPA shocked that they NHL wants a 50/50 split?

The owners can sit around and continue to make their millions/billions without the NHL. How are the players going to continue to make their millions without the NHL?

What are the chances the players will get 57% in the next CBA with a season lost? What are the chances that the revenues will stay up at the current level with another lost season?

The NHLPA needs to wake up and realize that they really are overpaid for their services. If they weren't, then they would be playing overseas. The NHLPA needs to work on getting a 10-12 year CBA so that they next rollback won't happen as quickly. Salary rollbacks aren't going to stop any time soon for large business. It happens in all sectors, just usually with layoffs instead of salary reductions. How many people would rather have a salary reduction versus being fired? Especially if you are making 7 figures.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
The players got run over so bad last time that they are willing to play under that deal this season and for many more if the owners would let them.

The issue right now seems to be real money. The owners want a real rollback in salaries done through escrow. The players don't want to give any real dollars back and aren't interested in helping with the revenue sharing that is necessary in order to maintain teams in smaller markets. BTW, each team provides their membership with at least 23 jobs not to mention all the minor league jobs players have due to the existence of small market clubs.

The big market owners are going to have to give more money for revenue sharing and the players are going to have to absorb some (some not all) of that sting for the owners to agree to the deal.

And Fehr? He can go f himself.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I agree a bit with both sides. The current revenue sharing gives 57% to players -- this is much higher than NFL or MLB, both of which are far more financially stable. On that point, I agree that 50/50 or something close to it is reasonable.

However, it's hard to see $100 million contracts being thrown around by teams that are not at the top of the earnings/profit scale, and then hearing those same teams cry poor.

I really don't care which side "wins" - I just want the powers that be locked in a room with no food or bathroom breaks until they come to an agreement. Or as one Flyers fan suggested, every 1/2 hour throw a scorpion into the locked room until a deal is completed.

If there is a lockout, the players stand to lose a hell of a lot more money than they would with a rollback; the owners stand to lose a hell of a lot in terms of gate receipts and some like Phoenix in community awareness.

Basically, just shut up and friggen' play.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:05 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
However, it's hard to see $100 million contracts being thrown around by teams that are not at the top of the earnings/profit scale, and then hearing those same teams cry poor.
But would the players help out the teams not at the top of that scale by taking less to sign with them? No, they pretty much always go to the highest bidder. That's fine, and smart, except then every other owner has to step up to the plate, or else they don't get the player, then the fans get angry, then the fans don't show up or watch.

Plus, with the floor tied to the ceiling as close as it is, teams have to almost throw money at players to get to the floor sometimes.

It is hard to hear owners offer those huge deals and then ask for what they're asking, but they're competitive too. They just have to do it off the ice, instead of on it like the players. Players cheat and try to get away with bending or breaking the rules to win, so do owners.

Old
09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

How was the day that the CBA expires decided 7 years ago? Would that be the start of the 1st pay period for the players or something?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The players got run over so bad last time that they are willing to play under that deal this season and for many more if the owners would let them.

The issue right now seems to be real money. The owners want a real rollback in salaries done through escrow. The players don't want to give any real dollars back and aren't interested in helping with the revenue sharing that is necessary in order to maintain teams in smaller markets. BTW, each team provides their membership with at least 23 jobs not to mention all the minor league jobs players have due to the existence of small market clubs.

The big market owners are going to have to give more money for revenue sharing and the players are going to have to absorb some (some not all) of that sting for the owners to agree to the deal.

And Fehr? He can go f himself.
I feel like getting on a plane to New York, finding Donald Fehr - and punching him in the face. He's almost as annoying a person to watch as Gary Bettman. Making a big public show of unity ... seriously ... does it matter ... you think having Zdeno Chara standing behind you with a menacing look on his face will intimidate Gary Bettman ?

I think the NHLPA and Donald Fehr are overplaying their hand right now. I fear that he doesn't care if a season is lost. A drawn out conflict will cost the players salary for a year ... and they will have to take a lesser deal a year from now when the overall HRR will surely suffer. So what's the upside for them ?

- One could hope a compromise could be reached somewhere along the lines of a fixed player share around that mark (or a little lower, for the sake of compromise) for a couple of years. Let the owners take in all the "industry growth" up until a specific level (say, 5-6% per year). Anything above that the players get a share.

I dont side with the owners particularly, but I think they hold the best hand and the union can't bluff their way to win this pot - the owners will not fold. Unless of course a "win" for the NHLPA is to lose as little money as possible. But I dont think that will suffice for them.

I don't sympathize too much with the players either. They have done tremendously well within this last CBA. The game has grown immensely. They are 800-900 people splitting a pot of 1.85 million dollars. Oh, boohoo, poor little rich men if they have to make due with a meagre 1.7 billion.

I feel bad for the "working people" who will lose jobs and income because the NHL skips another season. And I feel bad for the fans who gets shafted once again.

In a poll from a month ago I voted for the option "They're all idiots, players and owners alike". I stand by that until I see something that resembles a genuine mutual interest in finding a solution.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:07 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Turbulence View Post
Unless of course a "win" for the NHLPA is to lose as little money as possible. But I dont think that will suffice for them.

I don't sympathize too much with the players either. They have done tremendously well within this last CBA. The game has grown immensely. They are 800-900 people splitting a pot of 1.85 million dollars. Oh, boohoo, poor little rich men if they have to make due with a meagre 1.7 billion.

I feel bad for the "working people" who will lose jobs and income because the NHL skips another season. And I feel bad for the fans who gets shafted once again.

In a poll from a month ago I voted for the option "They're all idiots, players and owners alike". I stand by that until I see something that resembles a genuine mutual interest in finding a solution.
I disagree somewhat. I believe that a "win" for the players will be in the form of increased revenue sharing between teams, which ultimately will save franchises (and employment).

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:50 PM
yankeeking

speaking of fans what happens to our season seat money, do or can we get refunds or is it just in hold until a season starts

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Interesting that the two players directly behind Fehr were two Ivy League educated goons.

They got your memo Johnny

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I disagree somewhat. I believe that a "win" for the players will be in the form of increased revenue sharing between teams, which ultimately will save franchises (and employment).
Well, I dont think they care that much about revenue sharing if it means they have to accept a significantly reduced truckload of money. And, I have my doubts how realistic it is for them to expect the rich teams to pay money to the poor teams so that the players can keep their 1.85+ billion dollars.

You think they are playing the long game, aiming to get rid of the salary cap ? You think Fehr has said he could get that done ? He certainly insinuated that it would be back on the negotiating-table if the lockout drags out.

The players have done tremendously well under the now expiring CBA. The paid out player salaries have, what, increased 50-60%? over 8 years while gaining significantly improved Free Agency Rules. Now they are becoming UFA's around age 26-27-28 while in their prime rather than when their 31. I dont think it's unreasonable to say thats why the silly UFA contracts have become a reality.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 06:03 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

So now things get interesting with Shane Doan. Burnside from ESPN says that there's no way a deal for the Coyotes closes on Friday, and the lockout would begin on the 15th. So, does Doan risk signing a contract with the Coyotes during the lockout or does he move on before that? If it's the latter, I'd have to imagine the Kings would be in the running.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote