HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I ended up dropping 454 due to concerns about 308 being a lot to handle, so maybe that'll make things better (scratch that: it is making things better). Though I hear Brent Pearce (is he your prof?) is the absolute man.

453 prof is Darlene Walsh.

I've heard awful things about 308, but it has to be done...and as an ex-Lypny'er, it can't really be all that bad, no?

Class buddies?

Your fall schedule doesn't look too bad, honestly, it could be worse. 3-hour classes do suck, but the positive is that you don't need to show up multiple times a week. Suffering once is better than suffering twice, if the class is terrible.

On the other hand, I'm taking 226 and CHEM 208 (both online) this fall while I finish up my internship. I hear 226 is DESC 200-revisited, so I can only hope it's that much of a cakewalk.

451 is something I am definitely interested in taking too - sounds a lot more useful than the web marketing class. Keep me posted, or I'll pepper you in 486 in a few months with questions.

Oh, and thanks for your continuous advice; it's been very valuable.

The committee's flagship event is the annual Sports Marketing Conference, going on its 17th year. This year's flavour is JMSM12, and we're putting a fair bit of work into making it awesome (shameless plug: details, and teaser site). We do organize other events throughout the year, but none come close to the magnitude of JMSM12.

It's been a great experience so far, and it teaches you a lot about working as part of a team. Looks good on your CV too. Apply, and you'll be reporting to me.
Oh yeah! I applied last night, forgot to message you.
I sent in a CV, but I forgot to add "excellent at survival skills, once got lost on Mount Royal with JMSM VP of Marketing for like 3 1/2 hours "

Also, I'm taking 453 next semester, tell me how it goes. I hear Walsh is a really good teacher.

Old
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
UQAM or Ulaval for a master in ''science politique''
I have a friend that studies Poli Sci at UQAM. He likes it there. But that's all I got.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
UQAM or Ulaval for a master in ''science politique''
Depends on what you're going for. UQAM is really strong in international relations and critical theories, from my experience.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Any of you remember there used to be this Chinese photocopy place on Mckay/Maisonneuve? Beside that Jolie Copie place that's still there? Like right across the Library entrance on Mckay.

You could take your newly purchased books from the bookstore there and they would photocopy the whole thing for you, then you could refund your book back to the bookstore, it was awesome.

It got shut down sometime in 2010 I believe. Anybody aware of any other similar place in Montreal where they photocopy your books for a price? Concordia's bookstore totally screws you over.
I laugh at the suckers who buy books from the bookstore.

I know a guy who can get you photocopied versions of textbooks. PM me.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post

Those suckers are probably rich.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
In a CA firm, undergrads are hired part time (summer jobs usually) and are paid 20$ per hour about.

When I say a CA makes 37-38K, I mean a CA student who completed is 3 years (BAA) and is ready to write the UFE (exam to become a CA). Technically, a CA as is title which implies passing the UFE and having 2 years of experience. So once a CA, you're probably looking at 50K, but that's after 6 years, 3 years for your BAA, 1 more for the CA program to be able to write the UFE + 2 years of working experience.

The CA route is particular and different then other professional fields.
Yeah that's pure exploitation !

In my field of engineering peoples are starting to 55 000 $ a year on average in a private company.

From the earlier debate I also think engineering is harder than becoming a CA and for some engineering fields it isn't even close (I look at you electrical engineering and aerospace engineering).

Old
09-06-2012, 08:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

You can get photocopied books almost anywhere. I hate photocopied though, with a passion.

I try ebay, borrow it or succumb to bookstore as a last resort.

The books I don't care about I then try selling and usually get most of the money back. In certain cases I'll make more, bought a 200$ book off ebay for 40$.legit. Going to sell it for more next semester when class is held.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I ended up dropping 454 due to concerns about 308 being a lot to handle, so maybe that'll make things better (scratch that: it is making things better). Though I hear Brent Pearce (is he your prof?) is the absolute man.

453 prof is Darlene Walsh.

I've heard awful things about 308, but it has to be done...and as an ex-Lypny'er, it can't really be all that bad, no?

Class buddies?

Your fall schedule doesn't look too bad, honestly, it could be worse. 3-hour classes do suck, but the positive is that you don't need to show up multiple times a week. Suffering once is better than suffering twice, if the class is terrible.

On the other hand, I'm taking 226 and CHEM 208 (both online) this fall while I finish up my internship. I hear 226 is DESC 200-revisited, so I can only hope it's that much of a cakewalk.

451 is something I am definitely interested in taking too - sounds a lot more useful than the web marketing class. Keep me posted, or I'll pepper you in 486 in a few months with questions.

Oh, and thanks for your continuous advice; it's been very valuable.
Good point, and yes I've also heard Pearce is a king so it should be good times.

Honestly, at least Lypny was an interesting dude. Finance made me want to shoot myself, but you're right, it has to be done.

Darlene's very friendly - course is a lot of work, but it's interesting stuff (creating an advertising campaign, writing commercials, etc.) and not too difficult.

I'm quite happy with my schedule. Tuesday won't be terribly fun, but it's 2 days of school...so I can deal.

226 and 208 were both easy (208 is insanely easy), and 226 is sorta like DESC, but with a business application to everything. Not too tough.

451 seems very useful, but the teacher is tough and she expects a lot. Still, I've been told its worth it, and since the rest of my courses are slightly lighter (at first glance), I'll take the hit.

And it's no problems at all. One question for you: have you taken Sports Marketing? If so, does it live up to its name?

Old
09-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

In my field of engineering peoples are starting to 55 000 $ a year on average in a private company.

From the earlier debate I also think engineering is harder than becoming a CA and for some engineering fields it isn't even close (I look at you electrical engineering and aerospace engineering).
A intership or first job in a big accounting firm is a ticket to a great career. Back when I was working for PwC, there was a say that for an accountant, having this experience in your CV was enough to get an interview in any company.

You also need to compare what the top brackets are. Making 15K-20K more in the start isn't what people should focus on: the real difference is having a career where you can earn 100K at 45-50, or one where you can earn 250k or more.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Anyone here studies in Industrial Relations?
Bump.

Old
09-08-2012, 01:35 PM
habs1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Bump.
Human Resources here...pretty much the same.

Old
09-08-2012, 07:22 PM
TheAntiPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You can get photocopied books almost anywhere. I hate photocopied though, with a passion.
Where though? Most of the "legit" photocopy stores won't actually do it for you, you can take your book anywhere and photocopy it page by page yourself, but I don't know anyone who does the dirty work for you like those good Chinese folks used to do.

Old
09-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:

I try ebay, borrow it or succumb to bookstore as a last resort.

The books I don't care about I then try selling and usually get most of the money back. In certain cases I'll make more, bought a 200$ book off ebay for 40$.legit. Going to sell it for more next semester when class is held.
I don't really mind the photocopied version. It costs about $30-40 and I sell them back for $20 to get rid of them.

I try to avoid eBay because sometimes the shipping can take 2 weeks and I would already have missed the first assignment.

Now, I mostly get the PDFs online and get someone to print it and bind it for me.

Old
09-09-2012, 12:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Where though? Most of the "legit" photocopy stores won't actually do it for you, you can take your book anywhere and photocopy it page by page yourself, but I don't know anyone who does the dirty work for you like those good Chinese folks used to do.
There's a number where you call for photocopies. My friend still does it. I'll ask him for the number.

Quote:
I don't really mind the photocopied version. It costs about $30-40 and I sell them back for $20 to get rid of them.

I try to avoid eBay because sometimes the shipping can take 2 weeks and I would already have missed the first assignment.

Now, I mostly get the PDFs online and get someone to print it and bind it for me.
I can't find PDFs of my books. Sometimes they don't even photocopy my books and my friend has been asked to bring a copy do they can add it to their database.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Saw the guy with 1 arm poking people with his Scooby-Doo plush toy at Guy Concordia. Pretty funny to watch

Old
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Saw the guy with 1 arm poking people with his Scooby-Doo plush toy at Guy Concordia. Pretty funny to watch
At first I thought it was a real dog, until I got close. That dude is weird.

Also, what's an easy elective to take at Concordia? I already have Chem 208, already took DESC 200, INTE 290, I'm looking to drop my option music class because it's really messed up (avant guard noise music).

Old
09-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

INST 250 is pretty easy

Old
09-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Quote:

I thought engineers made more as a startup. You guys are being exploited, considering losing 3-4 years of salary for a university diploma that is hard to get.

I made 90 000 $ (working 40-56 hours a week) 2 years ago and I only have an high school diploma.

Now I am at HEC, doing a certificate in Operations Management and Logistics (paid by the company). Working full time and studying part time.

Last edited by Prust Y U MAD Bruins*: 09-13-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old
09-13-2012, 07:36 AM
pine*

Quote:
CLASSIC. what a guy

Old
09-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Perhaps someone knows if there anywhere good to pursue physics in graduate school...

Old
09-16-2012, 11:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Perhaps someone knows if there anywhere good to pursue physics in graduate school...
Maybe my answer will suck but ask one of your teachers. Odds are they can give you a good idea of the landscape in regards to that.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Not everyone starts at that. Most start at 45k. To get 55k you need be lucky or willing to relocate. I'm not done by undergrad but my sis finished last year. She had a high GPA but had tough time finding a job despite being fluent billingual, had an internship and a lot of work experience. When she finally found a job, she found 2 in the same week, the one she actually wanted paid more at 45k. It took her about 4 months to find a job in montreal but she did got on vaca for a bit. She's in civil btw.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Not everyone starts at that. Most start at 45k. To get 55k you need be lucky or willing to relocate. I'm not done by undergrad but my sis finished last year. She had a high GPA but had tough time finding a job despite being fluent billingual, had an internship and a lot of work experience. When she finally found a job, she found 2 in the same week, the one she actually wanted paid more at 45k. It took her about 4 months to find a job in montreal but she did got on vaca for a bit. She's in civil btw.
I don't where she is working, but I'm obviously talking about the private sector, the real minimum you can get in the field is 39 000, at the MTQ.

Maybe it's because all engineers I know are working within the private sector in structural engineering in engineering firms, but I've talking about it and I know the starting salary there is a lot higher than 45K. Also, in Hydro-Quebec it's around 60K. I don't know, but all my friends have found a job with no time here, maybe there is less need for new civil engineer where she live ?

Especially since every web sites are saying that there is still a need and the chances of peoples finding jobs is good.

From where she got her degree ?

Old
09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I don't where she is working, but I'm obviously talking about the private sector, the real minimum you can get in the field is 39 000, at the MTQ.

Maybe it's because all engineers I know are working within the private sector in structural engineering in engineering firms, but I've talking about it and I know the starting salary there is a lot higher than 45K. Also, in Hydro-Quebec it's around 60K. I don't know, but all my friends have found a job with no time here, maybe there is less need for new civil engineer where she live ?

Especially since every web sites are saying that there is still a need and the chances of peoples finding jobs is good.

From where she got her degree ?
Concordia. Many of her friends didn't find a job easily either. The ones that did went off the island to get one that pays 50k. On the island she settled for 45k after 3 ish months of looking. Experience and everything. She was in structural engineering option for civil.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Concordia. Many of her friends didn't find a job easily either. The ones that did went off the island to get one that pays 50k. On the island she settled for 45k after 3 ish months of looking. Experience and everything. She was in structural engineering option for civil.
Well, seeing that it would seem the island market is different. Didn't really knew about that. That could serve me, I will just not look for jobs there it seems.

Closed Thread