HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
espo*

vCash: 500
I think you are probably right about being at home bringing out the best in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I think Canada got lucky to be in the easiest pool thanks to Getzlaf's penalty that resulted in the loss in this year's WHC. I think Canada will be there in the end, but people should not count out the Russians. Playing at home in the big ice will bring the best out of them and their team is loaded up front. Just like Canada is shaky at goal, I think goaltending is also their biggest question mark. To me it is a 4 team race for the Gold- Canada, Russia, Sweden, USA. I think Canada will be there in the end in the Gold Medal Game. Hopefully their goaltending can do enough for them to win Gold.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Tavares Crosby Perry
Hall Stamkos Giroux
Nash Toews M. Richards
E. Staal Bergeron Seguin
Eberle

Weber Pietrangelo
Doughty Keith
Letang M. Staal
Seabrook

Price
Ward
Fleury
This set of pics is great!

Old
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Tavares Crosby Perry
Hall Stamkos Giroux
Nash Toews M. Richards
E. Staal Bergeron Seguin
Eberle

Weber Pietrangelo
Doughty Keith
Letang M. Staal
Seabrook

Price
Ward
Fleury
That seems pretty realistic. Good picks, dude.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I think Canada got lucky to be in the easiest pool thanks to Getzlaf's penalty that resulted in the loss in this year's WHC. I think Canada will be there in the end, but people should not count out the Russians. Playing at home in the big ice will bring the best out of them and their team is loaded up front. Just like Canada is shaky at goal, I think goaltending is also their biggest question mark. To me it is a 4 team race for the Gold- Canada, Russia, Sweden, USA. I think Canada will be there in the end in the Gold Medal Game. Hopefully their goaltending can do enough for them to win Gold.
I'm not so sure about that, beyond the first two lines, there's really not much there! Who's their 3rd line center, Anisimov, Burmistrov, or their KHL players Zherdev or Popov?
Their defense is either old and past their prime or young and not yet ready for prime time... It's pretty much the same team from Vancouver with about 5 new players... certainly in a one game elimination and one team can beat another, but I'm much more concerned about the Swedes or the Americans than I am of the Russians. The Russians will have a better team for 2018 than 2014.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
That seems pretty realistic. Good picks, dude.
I'd be happy with that line-up...

Old
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'd be happy with that line-up...
Lol, I'm not a fan of the third line or Staal, but it's definitely realistic.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Lol, I'm not a fan of the third line or Staal, but it's definitely realistic.
Well, I mean, the line-up doesn't 100% mesh with mine, but it's 98% with some question marks along side a few names, like Staal and Perry. But I'm not going to argue over it.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:57 AM
espo*

I loved his lineup too, what minor changes would you make to it?

Seguin seems the likely choice although after this season his inclusion may look like a no brainer, who knows? He's developing quickly.

Quote:
Well, I mean, the line-up doesn't 100% mesh with mine, but it's 98% with some question marks along side a few names, like Staal and Perry. But I'm not going to argue over it.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:30 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

I watched game 2 of the 1987 Canada Cup Final last night on TSN.

It is nice to see how far we have come, up front, in 25 years. Other that Wayne and Mario, I prefer the group we could send in 2012 to the group we sent back then.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post

Seguin seems the likely choice although after this season his inclusion may look like a no brainer, who knows? He's developing quickly.
Subject to change of course, depending on how they play and produce from here on out, but I'm not a big Perry fan...and I'm 50/50 on Staal, if he doesn't rebound after a disastrous season last year, then he's off as well. Seguin is definitely on in my books and Eberle is not a 13th forward seeing spot duty... I'd find a spot for him on one of the two first lines...a year and a half from now all 3 Hall-Tavares-Eberle should be ready to rock and roll and do some damage. But I'd admit if this was NHL ice a Tavares-Crosby -Perry trio would light it up. So, my only questions are with a few of the players and line combinations...but no big deal.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:28 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
I'm not a big Perry fan...and I'm 50/50 on Staal
We are blessed up front so...

If any of the group falter in the next 16 months, we can go to well for more.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
We are blessed up front so...

If any of the group falter in the next 16 months, we can go to well for more.
blessed up front and even more blessed on D. But goalies....a work in progress. Hey 20 million hockey fans in Canada there'll be 20 million different opinions.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
blessed up front and even more blessed on D. But goalies....a work in progress. Hey 20 million hockey fans in Canada there'll be 20 million different opinions.
I know others will say 1976 but...

I believe that if we had goaltending, the 2012 team would be the best Canada has ever produced.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:50 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:

Personally, I'd get rid of E. Staal, Richards, and Nash. Eberle moves up into one of the top 3 RW positions.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Subject to change of course, depending on how they play and produce from here on out, but I'm not a big Perry fan...and I'm 50/50 on Staal, if he doesn't rebound after a disastrous season last year, then he's off as well. Seguin is definitely on in my books and Eberle is not a 13th forward seeing spot duty... I'd find a spot for him on one of the two first lines...a year and a half from now all 3 Hall-Tavares-Eberle should be ready to rock and roll and do some damage. But I'd admit if this was NHL ice a Tavares-Crosby -Perry trio would light it up. So, my only questions are with a few of the players and line combinations...but no big deal.
I wasn't really a fan of these either, but like you said, it's not a big deal.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:40 AM
espo*

No way would Richards be gone for me and unless Nashs game really drops off in the next year and a half no way I don't take him either.

I'll agree kind of on Staal, he's a bubble player for me.

Also I do like having Eberle there on one of the top 3 lines.

Quote:
Personally, I'd get rid of E. Staal, Richards, and Nash. Eberle moves up into one of the top 3 RW positions.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:41 AM
espo*

Why is Seguin such a shoo in for you?

Quote:

Old
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Why is Seguin such a shoo in for you?
I anticipate no dip in his developmental curve. A year and a half from now I see him as a 40/40 guy with speed to burn and instant chemistry with Bergeron. Given a choice of a 22 year old speedster 40 goal guy and a slow plotting RW prone to taking idiotic penalties Cory Perry 35 goal scoring guy...I'm taking Seguin 10 times out of 10.
Granted he has to meet those numbers...I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get there.

and if you were thinking, ah Bruins fan! No, I'm not.

to add one more thing... when it comes to equal production, relatively speaking, I opt for youth and speed all the time. I do not give a rat's a$$ Cory Perry was there in 2010 or is a Stanley Cup winner... I do not place any value on whatever "leadership" or veteran experience he could bring in 2014. Crosby can bring that, Towes can bring that along with a few others. As far as I'm concerned Towes should be Captain in 2014. either him or Weber.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 09-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old
09-14-2012, 09:35 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
No way would Richards be gone for me and unless Nashs game really drops off in the next year and a half no way I don't take him either.

I'll agree kind of on Staal, he's a bubble player for me.

Also I do like having Eberle there on one of the top 3 lines.
The dude's got no heart, brah.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

I don't agree, but he's got some proving to do. Nash is in on my team, but there's a ? next to his name.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Macman

Quote:
Did it look like he had no heart in Vancouver? He was one of Canada's best players.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Did it look like he had no heart in Vancouver? He was one of Canada's best players.
I don't agree, but I'm sort of in the opposite position of Writer: He's not on my team(barely), but obviously if he rips it up with his new team and proves me wrong, he can easily make it.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:36 PM
espo*

He's played awfully well for us internationally for a guy with no heart.

Are we talking about the same guy?

Quote:

Old
09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Playing for a crappy team like Columbus over the past several years has an impact on a guy's stats and overall drive. Nash being traded to New York, will prove once again why he is one of the best players in the game. He was one of Canada's best players in Vancouver and will be there once again in Sochi. I just do not get all hate for Nash and Perry. People have short memories. Perry lead the league in goals and won the Rocket Richard Trophy for the 2010-2011 season. One off year, and people are counting him out. SMH.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:27 PM
rypper

I might be a little late to the discussion but I kinda think that Eberle's legendary clutch performances at the WJC's might give him a roster spot... more than most think.

Closed Thread