HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BJs/Ducks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2003, 10:13 AM
  #76
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Frankly you and Booger could really take a break from the boards if immature crap like that is all you can produce.
I suppose we'll have to limit ourselves to the more indirect ad hominem attacks you prefer.

Mostly you're not worth taking seriously since your persecution complex tends to hide the truth from you. For example: you started frothing at the mouth about the "anti-fighting clique" even though Burnett didn't fight last night, and we weren't complaining about a fight.

You were around all last season (I think) yet you've chosen to ignore all the times I praised Kevin Sawyer - I really liked him. Strange that you choose to ignore that. I also noted your absence from threads where I've praised Burnett (granted they're uncommon), and you here you are ignoring facts again in favor of a self-righteous rant.

Burnett's a bad hockey player, a stupid hockey player, and an average fighter. Why are you in his corner? There are hundreds of other fighters.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:16 AM
  #77
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
Burnett's a bad hockey player, a stupid hockey player, and an average fighter. Why are you in his corner? There are hundreds of other fighters.
Personally I'm a fan of Jody Shelley (good ol'Shells) but that's more due to the fact he babysat me once, as opposed to his pugilistic skills (though I was cheering my heart out during his 2 goal game, hoping for the trick)

maybe we can reunite former Mooseheads, Gigger and Shells.....
They hang together from the Metro Centre rafters, it would be cool if they hung together in the Pond dressing room, so to speak

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:49 AM
  #78
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 500
marginally better skater?
Sawyer could skate with the big boys
Training Wheels can't

I'm not really sure about intimidation, but then again I don't think you are either, it's hard to say what one team or a player thinks of an enforcer or not. I don't know who's intimidated by who, but I'm gonna just guess that you really can't say for sure either. I mean, you're not in the dressing rooms are you (if so, grab me some autographs and I'll agree with whatever you say ) Burnett is an unknown commodity and I think that's how the rest of the league views him.

Brown and Sawyer were better overall then Training Wheels

your username suits you well....

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:04 AM
  #79
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 500
I did not say a thing about Grimson...

Brown and Sawyer, were in my opinion better players for the Ducks overall then Burnett. They could skate better, they could play a little bit longer without being a liability, they seemed to be able to pick their spots better, they couldn't fight as well, but as a whole I would rank those three as Sawyer, Brown and then Burnett. He is the poorest hockey player out of the three, in my opinion.

Anyway as mentioned, your username suits you well and since it does and since this really isn't going anywhere, I'll go, so you don't lose any intimidation factor among the other posters....
you'll still have Booger on you back, but this is like the Comrie threads.....

[sarcasm]
and yeah sure, I'm running scared because I know I'm wrong and whatever[/sarcasm]

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:19 AM
  #80
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Huh? I was talking about you anti-fighting people in general, it doesn't matter whether Burnett fought last night or not, you're after Burnett simply because you don't understand the role his playing.
oh, well there we go. I didn't realize his role was to kill momentum and warm the bench. He's fantastic at that.



Quote:
And this is why I don't understand you loathing Burnett because he isn't that much worse in skating. And when Sawyer started in Anaheim he was just as bad (and worse fighter too).
Not skating, could skate a regular shift. Knew when and where to throw and how not to be a penalty magnet, knew that refs call enforcers more harshly and acted within that, and no he wasn't a worse fighter. He had less power but he tended not to lose. And when he started he was phenominal and came back to earth a bit. You're just completely wrong.


Quote:
Why I'm in his corner? Because I simply don't understand people who would rather see players like Smirnov, Holmqvist, Johnson etc. on the 4th line without any real enforcer. Burnett is the closest thing we have since Ward and Severson would end up being vegetables like Sawyer real quick if they would have to do the job. Yes, he's not a good skater, yes he doesn't win all his fights but he brings something that Ducks organisation badly lack, Davis is probably the only one who has any intimidation factor in him.
Gawd. Intimidation is a myth. Maybe you're intimidated. But they're not.

Quote:
It seems we have a fundamental difference in the way we see the game but it really shouldn't go to name calling and other ridiculous crap. I think we all are old enough for that.
Spare me the sanctimony. You only ride the high horse when your arguments falter, which is often. Otherwise you're the first one in the gutter.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:26 AM
  #81
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Mike Brown was a useless fourth line player, at least Burnett scares the other team. When I went to the pond for the New Jersey game that was the case. He was going after their best players pushing them around. He knocked down Scott Niedermayer at one point.

Burnett's poor defensive coverage also cost us a goal in that game. Babcock was only comfortable putting Burnett out during offensive zone faceoffs. I like having a tough guy in the lineup but I wish we had one like Tie Domi who can actually play hockey.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:36 AM
  #82
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
I like having a tough guy in the lineup but I wish we had one like Tie Domi who can actually play hockey.
Change "I like" to "I don't mind" and you have my stance on enforcers.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:40 AM
  #83
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 6,322
vCash: 500
As you mentioned his main job is to intimidate. Change momentum...he certainly changed the momentum by getting himself into the box for a goal and what could have been 2...If you recall once Columbus took the lead the momentum swung ridiculously over to the BJ's...

One thing I never understood is how is it intimidation when your tough guy is only out on the ice on the 4th line when arguably the tougher players for the other team are out there as well...it doesn't make sense....how is Teemu Selanne or whoever intimidated when they will only be out on the ice when Feds/Andymac and Chistov are as well...everyone knows that when Shelley and Burnett are out there together they are gonna fight...it's anticlimatic...like the WWF...pre-arranged of sorts...back in the day you had guys like Schultz and Wensink who really had bones to pick with people and it was intriguing (plus they could play the game)...not like today's NHL where it seems the enforcers fight more for fan appreciation than for the retaliation of cheap shots, etc....or whatever reason you wanna give.

Pwnasaurus is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:58 AM
  #84
soya_sauce_chicken
Registered User
 
soya_sauce_chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,317
vCash: 500
point is.. Ducks needed an enforcer..
Vish doesn't hit hard because babs didn't want him to.. they got burnett.. does he scare people.. i doubt it...
i think he got burnett to help protect some of the smaller players.. has he done that.. yes.. he has stuck up for others also vish.. vish is playing harder now..
burnett makes a lot of stupid mistakes.. so does everyone else.. he has costed us a few goals, but our offense needs to step it up also..
i'm not siding with any of you guys.. boogs and diehard..
point is, the Ducks need to get their offense running and our D has to play smart...
what i like about burnett is that he crashes down the front of the net... he get's plenty of opportunity to score.. does he.. no.. but i don't care.. at least he is trying and going to the net..
let's end this arguing on this thread and argue for the Wings.. we need to beat them...
Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along.... (smoking some medicenal herbs.. aka marijuana)"

soya_sauce_chicken is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
  #85
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,637
vCash: 500
Gentlemen, lets keep discussion civil. You may disagree without the name calling and elementary behavior. If this continues, I will close this thread.

Your friend MOD
JL

Jerky Leclerc is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 01:44 PM
  #86
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Why I'm in his corner? Because I simply don't understand people who would rather see players like Smirnov, Holmqvist, Johnson etc. on the 4th line without any real enforcer. Burnett is the closest thing we have
This is no reason to be in Burnett's corner. Its a reason to harp on Murray for failing to toughen up the team properly. It should be obvious to ANYONE that Burnett has no place in the NHL regardless of their stance on fighting and enforcers.

Hank is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 02:00 PM
  #87
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
That was my point. Hank spelled it out for ya.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:33 PM
  #88
lux_interior
Registered User
 
lux_interior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 500
Actually I think Simpson makes a good enforcer, except for the following reasons:
  1. He's a defenseman and it sucks going with 5 defenseman for 5 minutes
  2. He's not that good defensively...too many turnovers, mistakes, so having him in the lineup makes the team weaker defensively

But he is a good fighter.

lux_interior is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:40 PM
  #89
lux_interior
Registered User
 
lux_interior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Simpson is good middleweight but he's not as good as Burnett when it comes to fighting.

I hope Hävelid, Pahlsson, Krog and Johnson get the bench call after this game. Call up couple of guys from Cincy and let them show what they can do.
See, I think Simpson's a much better fighter than Burnett.

lux_interior is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 09:55 AM
  #90
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
1. At the moment Burnett is all we got. Ward & Severson will end up concussed like Sawyer if they do enforcers's job for longer term.

2. Enforcer IS needed, as someone said everyone seems to play slightly harder & tougher when Burnett is around.
Burnett has cost the team points in 2 out of 11 games he's played with bad penalities and has been a complete non-factor in the other 9. Not to mention the 15 he hasn't played in at all.

I hardly see him as needed. I'd be perfectly happy with Ward and Severson on the 4th line and Simpson on defense taking care of business.

Hank is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 07:43 AM
  #91
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
What is the other game that Burnett cost points? Besides, it's not like he's the only player who's guilty anyway.
He took a horrible interfernce penalty against Dallas (11/19) and Arnott promptly scored on the PP. As I said there have been two games, Dallas and Columbus.

And I never singled him out as the only one. The difference is Burnett has no other redeaming good to offset the bad. That's my opinion and you disagree... this doesn't need to rehash 4 other threads and countless posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Complete non-factor? He has fought other teams' heavies which is always good for team morale.
Winning is better and Burnett doesn't help do that. He might not be the problem but he sure as hell isn't the solution.

Hank is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 08:24 AM
  #92
Lyons71
Registered User
 
Lyons71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
I just don't appreciate anyone who plays less than 2 minutes. That is a waste of a roster spot. (I know Burnett doesn't have a choice when it comes to ice time, but still...)

Burnett did, however, look good before going apeshiat on Wright. But the pure fact that he went as crazy as he did has me wondering.

Lyons71 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.