HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dallas - Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2012, 11:13 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Dallas - Montreal

Receive:

Nathan Beaulieu

Receive:

Richard Bachman
Austin Smith
2013 3rd Round Pick (Upgraded to 2nd if Bachman plays 20% of Games in 2012-13)

Why Dallas Does This - With a glut of NHL ready goaltenders (Lehtonen, Bachman, Nihlstrop), we can afford to trade one and actually benefit from it. If Nihlstrop proves himself to be a capable NHL back-up and can even beat out Bachman, I could definitely see him being traded sometime this season (trade deadline, maybe a bit earlier). With Bachman gone and Nihlstrop with the big club, Campbell would be able to get as much playing time in the AHL as seen fit, with Besko filling in if needed. Also, while our defense prospects are pretty solid, we add a great offensive defenseman to strengthen an already deep pool. A guy along the lines of Rundblad, Beaulieu, etc. would set us up for a very strong future on the back end IMO.

Why Montreal Does This - Montreal gets their back-up for the future, as Bachman could step in immediately and lessen the massive load Price carries while still having the potential to get better. Bachman could end up being a starter, but I think he'll excel in a position like he'd be in at Montreal. Obviously, Beaulieu is a better prospect than Bachman, so Montreal also receives a forward prospect who could be a solid bottom 6er for a while and a decent pick. Beaulieu's also expendable due to how deep Montreal is all across the board on defense.

So both teams fill a want (not really sure I'd call either a need) while dealing from a position of strength. Added a bit to even out the value.

Thoughts?

Old
09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

vCash: 500
Doubt Montreal wants to give up Beaulieu for parts.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:21 PM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

vCash: 375
From a Dallas prospective, it'd be tough to say no.

Don't think MTL would do it though.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
poetryinmotion

The one who is expendable is Weber. Or else it would be Kaberle but due to his contract that is obviously never gonna happen.

Beaulieu is part of the future D core in Montreal along with Subban and Tinordi.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:24 PM
john skull

Austin to Reilly, remove the pick

Old
09-12-2012, 11:24 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

So what'd have to be added for Montreal to do this? I wasn't really sure how highly Beaulieu was thought of to be honest.

How about Glennie instead of A. Smith and the pick?

Old
09-12-2012, 11:30 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So what'd have to be added for Montreal to do this? I wasn't really sure how highly Beaulieu was thought of to be honest.

Tbh the goal tending angle doesn't really work for us either. You're not going to add value to your trade by handing us a backup goalie in prying Beaulieu.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Basically, it's said that tinordi, beaulieu are next wave for montreal's D. seen as blue chippers I guess.

Habs have budaj and desjardins.

There's really no deal to get any of habs top prospects out of montreal as the recent 1sts:

Leblanc
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Galchenyuk

Are seen as the next infusion of talent to go with pacioretty, subban and price.

Beaulieu+ for a youngish player to grow with current young core? Sure. Just not beaulieu for something++.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:39 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Beaulieu is slightly underrated on these boards, but he's got immensely high value to Habs fans. The price would be a hell of a lot higher to get the fans here to bite IMO.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Why does Montreal need Bachman when they have the best under 25 goalie in the game?

Adding a midget, undrafted winger and a 3rd rounder won't get a top d-man prospect like Beaulieu. Quantity for quality.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Mrb1p

We have 5 pick in the top 60 next year, we'll grab a goalie there.

We don't need any bottom sixer.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:06 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Alright, just wanted to see if there was any interest. I wasn't aware of just how much Beaulieu was worth to Montreal.

Thanks for the input. Don't think Dallas will be forking over the price it'd take to pry him out of Montreal any time soon. Would rather try that Rundblad for Morrow deal again.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

Hab fans are dysfunctional that way plus we tend to follow our prospects a lot more closely than most other team's fan bases do. Lot's of Hab fans here have watched in the 50 - 100 game range that Beaulieu has played in so far.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Beaulieu isn't going to be traded for that kind of package and as someone else mentioned the Habs will most probably be picking up a goalie in next year's draft since they have more picks.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Receive:

Nathan Beaulieu

Receive:

Richard Bachman
Austin Smith
2013 3rd Round Pick (Upgraded to 2nd if Bachman plays 20% of Games in 2012-13)

Why Dallas Does This - With a glut of NHL ready goaltenders (Lehtonen, Bachman, Nihlstrop), we can afford to trade one and actually benefit from it. If Nihlstrop proves himself to be a capable NHL back-up and can even beat out Bachman, I could definitely see him being traded sometime this season (trade deadline, maybe a bit earlier). With Bachman gone and Nihlstrop with the big club, Campbell would be able to get as much playing time in the AHL as seen fit, with Besko filling in if needed. Also, while our defense prospects are pretty solid, we add a great offensive defenseman to strengthen an already deep pool. A guy along the lines of Rundblad, Beaulieu, etc. would set us up for a very strong future on the back end IMO.

Why Montreal Does This - Montreal gets their back-up for the future, as Bachman could step in immediately and lessen the massive load Price carries while still having the potential to get better. Bachman could end up being a starter, but I think he'll excel in a position like he'd be in at Montreal. Obviously, Beaulieu is a better prospect than Bachman, so Montreal also receives a forward prospect who could be a solid bottom 6er for a while and a decent pick. Beaulieu's also expendable due to how deep Montreal is all across the board on defense.

So both teams fill a want (not really sure I'd call either a need) while dealing from a position of strength. Added a bit to even out the value.

Thoughts?
Habs have no need for Bachman. For having watched Austin Smith, he's a long shot to make the NHL, let alone have an impact. If you want a bluechip prospect, you have to give at the very least a bluechip prospect. No value what so ever for the Habs in this proposal, sorry.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I like Bachman well enough, but I don't think he's quite the kind of goaltending depth we are aiming for. We need a great goalie prospect, sure, but the key is a prospect, and further down the development curve suits us just fine. Budaj has already shown to be a very capable backup, and I'm not sure Bachman (at this point) is any better, so there is really no value to the Habs in acquiring Bachman. Take that value out of the equation and it all falls apart.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Alright, just wanted to see if there was any interest. I wasn't aware of just how much Beaulieu was worth to Montreal.

Thanks for the input. Don't think Dallas will be forking over the price it'd take to pry him out of Montreal any time soon. Would rather try that Rundblad for Morrow deal again.
Frankly, you're better off going that route. Beaulieu is a huge deal to most Hab fans. Not to mention after the McDonagh disaster. I think the majority are little gun shy to trade any defensemen with a relatively good ceiling, unless something equally high is coming back.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Budaj did a solid job for us last year and I won't be surprised if Desjardins is our backup once Budaj's contract is done, we don't really need to give up assets for a guy who will probably start 15 games max for us.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Frankly, you're better off going that route. Beaulieu is a huge deal to most Hab fans. Not to mention after the McDonagh disaster. I think the majority are little gun shy to trade any defensemen with a relatively good ceiling, unless something equally high is coming back.
Add to that the fact that Beaulieu is among the best D not in the NHL..

Last edited by Mrb1p: 09-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old
09-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Pass. Montreal has Budaj and Desjardins as NHL ready backups, so Bachman isn't really neccassary. Montreal needs Goalie prospects, but we don't really have the space that Bachman deserves in the AHL. The rest are throw-ins that mean nothing to montreal.

Easy, easy pass for Montreal.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

That's basically giving up a Quarter for two nickels and a dime.

I might try replacing Beaulieu with Morgan Ellis. In my opinion they are fairly equal as prospects but Ellis has probably got significantly lower trade value.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
This is really bad for Montreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Adding a midget, undrafted winger and a 3rd rounder won't get a top d-man prospect like Beaulieu. Quantity for quality.
? Austin Smith was drafted by the Stars. I wasn't aware that 5'11 was midget territory either.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

I might try replacing Beaulieu with Morgan Ellis. In my opinion they are fairly equal as prospects but Ellis has probably got significantly lower trade value.
Definitely has lower trade value but with the season and playoffs/Memorial Cup he had in Shawinigan the Habs will not be giving up on him anytime soon IMO.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Kid is gold.

I don't want to trade him. He has low value and high profile. We keep him. If you want a dman we have plenty of other promising under the radar type.

Dietz, Bennet, Pateryn, St-Denis comes to mind.

I wouldn't be happy of letting them go though.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Habsrule

What it boils down to is, Beaulieu is to Montreal what Campbell or Faksa is to Dallas.

Would the Stars trade Campbell for a bottom six potential forward, bottom pairing defencemen and a 3rd rounder?

Closed Thread