HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Overdosing on the Phoenix Series

Old
09-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Overdosing on the Phoenix Series

Today, I turned on NHL Network early, because I am at home working on the most mundane crap (sorting voluminous, and I do mean voluminous, documents prior to putting them in a spreadsheet...yes, this is how I earn a living).

They have been playing the entire series all day. And replaying it. I find myself mesmerized by it.

I forgot how contentious game 5 was. Not that last 13 seconds (and the handshake line), who can ever forget that? But the entire game seemed chirpy and contentious...still, great memories. Found myself shaking my head at Tippett's antics all over again.

09-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Watching Game 3, imagining just how much more dominant the Kings could be if Stoll had a set of hands...

You literally could see the steam emitting from Tippett's head every time the camera zoomed in on him after a Kings goal.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:46 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Watching Game 3, imagining just how much more dominant the Kings could be if Stoll had a set of hands...

You literally could see the steam emitting from Tippett's head every time the camera zoomed in on him after a Kings goal.
Yeah, especially after Kopitars goal .

EDIT:

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It really is amazing how both DeBoer and Tippett wrote off the Kings' dominance of their respective teams through the long-discredited art of "blaming the referee" while Ken Hitchcock had nothing but unadulterated praise for the Kings.

It's a shame that immaturity still exists at the coaching level.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Jebus
That boulder?

I don't know who Tany Tatum is or why he has his hat crooked and his shirt open.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
Yeah, especially after Kopitars goal .
That was a classic...the camera caught him at the perfect moment. (0:23 second mark of the video)

Old
09-13-2012, 01:27 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

I was watching game 5 again earlier today and thought the same thing. It was better than I remembered. The Coyotes let their emotions get the better of them which can be death in the playoffs. The Kings just kept chugging along as if the score didn't matter. The first Kings goal and the Doughty dive/stick block on the 2-1 were huge. I can't wait for the whole box set.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
It really is amazing how both DeBoer and Tippett wrote off the Kings' dominance of their respective teams through the long-discredited art of "blaming the referee" while Ken Hitchcock had nothing but unadulterated praise for the Kings.

Yeah its hilarious, its not like the Kings were never shorthanded. Watching game 5 right now and I've already seen a delay of game, too many men and a missed call on OEL on a possible breakaway by Brown.

Docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Coyotes were 1/6 on the PP in game 5. Its not like nothing was called on the Kings

Docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Mr Los Angeles

call me crazy but game 5 was my favorite game of the entire playoffs

Mr Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:09 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Re-watching it was a good reminder on how much of a @$!% Mike Smith is. He's a piece of work, to put it kindly.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Re-watching it was a good reminder on how much of a @$!% Mike Smith is. He's a piece of work, to put it kindly.
He is not a piece of work, he is a piece of ****.

Sutter alluded to payback in a post-game conference (as I recall, he said something akin to 'there is a time and place for that.' my quotes, its not verbatim).

It will be interesting to see what the Kings do to even out Smith's *******liness.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
I don't think our rivalry grew with Vancouver. Phoenix and St Louis on the other hand...

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:02 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:

Well St. Louis plays pretty much the same game the Kings do. LA was just better in every aspect of it in that series. DeBoer and Tippett both tried what they did to get their players to rally behind it and play their games. To DeBoer's credit, it almost worked as NJ was looking very solid late in game 4 and most of 5 and seemed to be on the same page until the hit in game 6... Phoenix just seemed to lose their minds and come completely unglued. As soon as Tippett cried the foul it was like Phoenix thought it gave them a free pass to play like idiots, throw cheapshots and then whine about it to everyone around them. Tippett to me got sort of exposed as a good coach that gets the best out of the players he has, but one that has trouble making adjustments game to game in a long series, and being completely out of touch with the feeling in the room. That to me was one of the reasons for the Coyotes downfall. He should've settled his players down and got them under control but he had no clue when to use timeouts and just let them play over the edge.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
HookKing

...lost a lot of respect for Tippett and Phoenix after this series.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
...lost a lot of respect for Tippett and Phoenix after this series.
There was incessant whining from everyone within that organization. Goes to show you how they lacked composure starting from up top with their coaching and their leaders. Have to love that one player (Brown) was able to get them all to lose their focus.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
deeshamrock

PHP Code:
...lost a lot of respect for Tippett and Phoenix after this series
...and also gained a lot for HItchcock, who was class all the way and gave full props every game to how good the King swere, didn't use excuses. Youir coach does that, the team generally follow suit.
It' sone of the reasons I like the Blues.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 12:07 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
PHP Code:
...lost a lot of respect for Tippett and Phoenix after this series
...and also gained a lot for HItchcock, who was class all the way and gave full props every game to how good the King swere, didn't use excuses. Youir coach does that, the team generally follow suit.
It' sone of the reasons I like the Blues.
Agreed. However, few things were more irritating than the FANS of each team using excuses. And no, I'm not painting a broad stroke and saying fanbases... I'm just talking about the vocal (and perhaps not so vocal) people who discredit the Kings success because of their whining.

Series 1: Well, they were missing a Sedin, and Schneider didn't play the entire series. The Kings got lucky

Series 2: They were missing Halak and that dirty, talentless goon Dwight King headhunted Pietrangelo without getting a major. The Kings got lucky

Series 3: Smith just had a couple off games, even though he's way better than Quick. They gave the Kings the series when that dirty, talentless goon Dustin Brown headhunted Rozsival... with his knee. The Kings got lucky

Series 4: Kovalchuk was playing hurt and that dirty, talentless goon Jarrett Stoll headhunted Stephen Gionta. The Kings got lucky.

Those are the people I lost the most respect for.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Agreed. However, few things were more irritating than the FANS of each team using excuses. And no, I'm not painting a broad stroke and saying fanbases... I'm just talking about the vocal (and perhaps not so vocal) people who discredit the Kings success because of their whining.

Series 1: Well, they were missing a Sedin, and Schneider didn't play the entire series. The Kings got lucky

Series 2: They were missing Halak and that dirty, talentless goon Dwight King headhunted Pietrangelo without getting a major. The Kings got lucky

Series 3: Smith just had a couple off games, even though he's way better than Quick. They gave the Kings the series when that dirty, talentless goon Dustin Brown headhunted Rozsival... with his knee. The Kings got lucky

Series 4: Kovalchuk was playing hurt and that dirty, talentless goon Jarrett Stoll headhunted Stephen Gionta. The Kings got lucky.

That 'Kings got lucky' not only is extremely irratating, but not true. And you still hear and sometimes from writers who should know better, who are supposed to have a certain degree of expertese in their field. How many times to you read or hear that' the Kings 'got hot' or in speaking of who may possibly win next year, darkhorse wise, the 'look at the kings, they were an 8th seed, anybody can win'

Living in Philly , proudly displaying my Kings stuff at work and changing PC wallpaper to showcase the various cup celebration stuff, i have become good at defending those weak arguments.
They didn't get lucky ,they played up to potential. The only luck was that they were healthy.
Luck doesn't get you 29-9-3 in your last 41, it doesn't get you up 3-0 in 4 straight rounds and it doesn't get give you total domination in justabout every game. That 4 lines and 3 sets of D playng balls to the wall hockey. It's having a terrific group of leaders who lead by example every shift. That's a combination of the skill they have and the coach that gave them an identity.
They are not lucky ,they are elite; the most complete team in the league.

And deespite that , why do I get the feeling if they do repeat next year ,if there is a lockout, the naysayers will be out in force with the 'they only won because it was a shorter season'

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 01:16 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
They didn't get lucky ,they played up to potential. The only luck was that they were healthy.
Exactly. The Kings opened the season as 10 to 1 to win it all. I know, I cashed in on that ticket at the Bellagio a year after I placed it. The roster of the team that finished the season was MUCH more talented than the roster the Kings opened the season with. For example, the Blues were 40 to 1. The Blues missed the playoffs 4 out of the previous 5 seasons. They were a huge surprise.

Vancouver is a funny because the Kings had better season long Corsi numbers than the Canucks did. At their own Canucks Army website, they predicted the Kings would beat the Nucks. Postulating that the Kings incredibly low shooting percentages for the better part of the season were not sustainable and eventually they would regress to the norm and would start potting those goals. Guess what? They did! Advanced stats are a great way to kill those Canucks arguments. Read those articles in the Canucks Army website. They are GOLD for ammo against those in denial.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
And deespite that , why do I get the feeling if they do repeat next year ,if there is a lockout, the naysayers will be out in force with the 'they only won because it was a shorter season'
All you would have to say to that is this: "Oh, so you're saying the Kings were the only team in the NHL to have the benefit of a shorter season?"

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post

Some of these fans are like 14 years old.* I don't take them seriously at all.

*And if they are older than 14, then they sure as hell have a lot of maturing to do.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

Quote:
Some of these fans are like 14 years old.* I don't take them seriously at all.

*And if they are older than 14, then they sure as hell have a lot of maturing to do.
You have to embrace the arrogance and just go with it. Don't even listen to that noise. "Scoreboard." I've waited a long time for my team to reach this point. Dustin Brown dropping the F-bomb, Quick and Sutter more concerned with Quick's daughter coughing up an M&M 20 minutes after winning the Stanley Cup. The Kings walking through the top seeds in the West and the Eastern Conference Champions and gave the brown finger along the way. NJ had no shot, I don't care if they won two games. When a team's game plan becomes hail-mary wrist shots from the blue line you know they're done. I'm as surprised as anybody but NO team would have beat the Kings in a playoff series this year.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote