HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

DET signs Carlo Colaiacovo [2 years, $2,5MIL per]

Old
09-13-2012, 06:25 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
So has this been confirmed by anyone else yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Hopefully he decides to retire...........like tomorrow.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Good defenseman not given enough credit. Only reason people hate on him is because he is always hurt.
Very true and being an ex Leaf, he'll fit right in with the Wings. They always do...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:56 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Don't like it, but don't hate it either.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:37 AM
hockeydoug

2 x 2.5 isn't a bad gamble. I think he'll do okay in their system. If they can get 2200 healthy minutes out of him the next 2 years, I think he will have been well worth the contract. They needed another dman.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Im going to go out on a limb and say Calgary isn't going to trade Bouwmeester. And so Detroit signed Coliacovo
I disagree. Detroit only had six defensemen signed, aside from minor leaguers. If they trade for JBo, they're giving up Quincey (please God) or Ericsson or even Kindl. That means they still needed to sign SOMEONE. Carlo's a good fit as a #5-7 defenseman. He'll probably start the year in the #7 spot if everyone's healthy because he's not better than anyone who is currently signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Mathieu Schneider was the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL.
No, that was Chris Osgood. One of the best goalies of his generation and one of the most accomplished regular season and playoff goalies ever, but people always simply credited his team. He won the Cup in 1998, but it was "the team" even though Norris finalist Konstantinov was injured and his spot in the top-four filled by a rookie Anders Eriksson. He could have been the Smythe winner in 08 and 09 and nobody would have blinked. He's a multiple Cup winner with over 400 regular season wins, yet people consider him a "maybe" for HHOF induction. Absolutely ridiculous. Only one other goalie (Curtis Joseph) with 400+ wins is considered a "maybe" for the HHOF, and that's because he has no Cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
on of HFboards biggest whipping boys. You'll think he's a #7 or #8 defenseman by readin this thread, when he's in fact a #4 (and the contract shows it). He's no Lidstrom, but the only other option for Detroit was to make a trade. Replacing Lidstrom with Colaiacovo is better than replacing Lidstrom with no one.
I'm still holding out hope for that Jbo trade, or even better than Enstrom trade. Especially if it's Franzen and not Filppula who goes. Or if they just want a guy like Tatar or Pulkkinen, that works too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Don't like it, but don't hate it either.
Colaiacovo was one of the best UFA options after the big names went away. If you recall, I was asking for a guy like him, or Flood, Gilroy, etc. (a.k.a. a mid/late-20s UFA who would be relatively cheap but still have some skill) right from the off. Realistically, he's not much worse than Brad Stuart based on the last two years, if at all.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
So has this been confirmed by anyone else yet?
No, he hasn't actually signed with Detroit yet.

Quote:
General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press Wednesday evening he is talking to unrestricted free agent defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo, a former first-round pick who had 19 points in 64 games last season with St. Louis.
http://www.freep.com/article/2012091...%20Red%20Wings

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:56 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
Ummm......

Are you thinking of someone else? Carlo can shoot the puck, but it's far from a cannon and if by hitting with the best you mean he trips over the red line and goes on the DL for 3 weeks, then yay hes a Mack truck.
Hilarious
I laughed out loud at work - well done

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
He'll help them...but why such a big contract? He should have got 1 year, 2M like Roszi.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:44 AM
caley

Since Strickland is only the one, so far, to say it's a done deal, I'm going to dial this back down to rumor for the time being. I'm pretty sure it will get done, but we'll just wait on someone else to confirm it.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:57 AM
doublejack

In a related story, I hear an MRI machine is being installed in the Wings locker room.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
timmeh

Brace yourselves for the replacement of Lidström!!!

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I'm sure Calgary would've accepted something...

Just like I'm sure whatever it was they wanted, Ken Holland laughed before he hung up.
If HFBoards assumptions are even a little indicative of reality, GMs sure engage in a lot of derisive laughter.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I Believe

He's not a savior by any means, but the Wings had $13 million in capspace and needed help on D.

It's a good signing for them. It's not like they really lose anything

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
TOML

Agggh... Another Strickland burn until confirmed by someone else. The guy really has no game.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Colaiacovo is severely underrated. He has some injury concerns, and he definitely benefited from being paired with Pietrangelo. However, statistically speaking, last year his defensive assignments were the most difficult he's ever faced in his career, and he took them in stride.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:29 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Good deal if true (money and term). Carlo is a good player.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
SenzZen
Do it for Alfie!

It wasn't his fault the Leaf hype machine touted him as the next Ray Bourque, or that his injuries were never properly taken care of by team staff. It may have been his fault he let the hype get to his head, though. But what's a kid from the GTA to do?

He can skate and move the puck. And has proven not to look terrible when in a decent team structure. Is he the replacement for Lidstrom? Of course not. But if the deal is legit, it isn't much of a gamble, either.

They've had success with reclamation projects in the past.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
SirPaste

This is great news. The amount of times he trips over his own feet trying to transition from skating forwards to backwards is mind boggling. Glad he is joining a division rival.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:37 AM
EvanOberg

I remember people talking about him being a possible steal of a pick up. Now he goes to Detroit and hes an awful signing? Im smelling that people dont like Detroit possibly upgrading a weakness.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford
Not official yet but defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo expected to be a Detroit Red Wing soon. #stlblues

09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Crymson

How, exactly, is this confirmed with link? This is Andy Strickland we're talking about.

#disappointed with HFB mods.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:19 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

As a Blues fan:

Colaiacovo is a decent signing. The problem on the Blues is that he was on the top pairing. As long as he isn't on the top pairing and not depended on for the PP (he can be pretty frustrating in that department) he'll be a decent player.

He does have a tendency to exaggerate every little hit he takes, although I don't think he has any structural problems that make him prone to re-injuring something. He's just not very good an protecting himself in a hit, and he needs to be paired with someone defensively responsible because he will tend to get distracted by the offensive zone (where he doesn't excel either).

I think he'll probably be put in a role on the Wings where he can succeed. The reason so many Blues fans are happy to see him go is that he was the place-holder for the top-pairing partner for Pietro. Unfortunately, the Blues still don't have that guy, but its clearly not Colaiacovo. The Blues are still looking for a mid-season move to get that player, so the absence of Colaiacovo actually hurts the defense (at least in terms of depth) at the moment.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford
Not official yet but defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo expected to be a Detroit Red Wing soon. #stlblues
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
How, exactly, is this confirmed with link? This is Andy Strickland we're talking about.

#disappointed with HFB mods.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
tdadanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
He'll probably start the year in the #7 spot if everyone's healthy because he's not better than anyone who is currently signed.
Paying 2.5mil for a #7 dman? Ouch. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy if this turns out to be true - as a Blues fan!

tdadanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Red08

Not sure where all this "underrated" hoopla comes from. Colaiacovo is far from it. To Wings fans who like this signing, prepare to be disappointed. I had high hopes for Colaiacovo until Hitchcock came along and added structure to the Blues. Colaiacovo seriously struggled last year and seemed to get worse. He was routinely benched, especially late in the season and in the playoffs. It didn't matter who he was paired up with or where he was on the ice. He couldn't keep up.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote