HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bruins-Islanders

Old
09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Man, John Tavares must be the best player since Gretzky. Nobody else in the league can turn average players into perennial 30 goal scorers.

The past three years, Moulson is 11th in the NHL in goals. More than Burrows (who plays with both Sedins), more than Sharp (who plays with Toews), etc.

Why is it that other players get credit for being good, while anyone who plays with Tavares is just riding shotgun?
It's because for the most part, other elite centers are given elite wingers to play with. But when they are given grinders, I think they're correctly assed to be "riding shotgun."

Burrows is a great example of that kind of player. Roughly a 30 goal scorer, with a high shooting percentage that reflects how his game mostly revolves around rebounds and set ups in front of the net, just like Moulson. As someone else said, I don't think anyone believes Neal or Hartnell would be anything close to 40 goal scorers without Malkin (who's also the driving force behind Kunitz) or Giroux. Michalek is widely viewed as a rider to Spezza, even by Sens fans. People are increasingly realizing that Franzen is a product of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. As for Sharp, he's a totally different type of player, a highly skilled sniper and playmaker who I think has underproduced because of being played as a center instead of on the wing, where he belongs.

So, yeah, there are plenty of widely recognized "riders" throughout the NHL. We're not just picking on Moulson.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

The Isles seem to go out of their way to make Tavares happy with many moves having some sort of connection to their franchise player since he was drafted. Moulson isn't going anywhere as long as he continues to produce and it's hard to argue against 3 consecutive 30 goal seasons. They'll be keeping him around.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
BudMovin*

vCash:
You don't think Krejci would be a 30 goal scorer if they converted him to Tavares' wing?

Old
09-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
You don't think Krejci would be a 30 goal scorer if they converted him to Tavares' wing?
They would only trade for him to solidify their centre dpth, so he wouldn't play with Tavares.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would've thought the Islanders add, but maybe not. Is he a product of Tavares or not, that's the big question.
Moulson's scored at least 30 goals for 3 straight seasons and he's signed to a team friendly, $3.1m per season deal.

Krejci makes $5.25. Too steep for the Isles imo.

You really think the isles care whether Moulson is a product of Tavares, producing like he does and on a cheap contract?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

And what's up with all the trades involving Bruins (am talking to Bruins fans aswell). The group of guys we have is pretty solid ? Is it because they were not able to score a back-to-back cup ?

Right now, when I look at that team I would give those guys a chance this year (if there hockey is) and see how things go. We got rid of Corvo who was about the only D that needed to get lost.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Moulson's scored at least 30 goals for 3 straight seasons and he's signed to a team friendly, $3.1m per season deal.

You really think the isles care whether Moulson is a product of Tavares, producing like he does and on a cheap contract?
Moulson has to be one of the best $3 million per year players in the league quite easily.

I agree, no reason for the Islanders to move him and no reason for the Bruins to move Krejci to try to get him.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
Krejci might have worst shot in the Bruins' top-9 to be honest. Other than that an amazing, inconsistent, player. He would not benefit on the wing, maybe with JT, but he won't be a thirty goal scorer.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
I'd pass. I'd consider it if they added a bit, though.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
original islander

Quote:

I think that you have a great read on the situation from the Islanders viewpoint.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
I'd pass. I'd consider it if they added a bit, though.

Nah. NYI would not be willing to add anything imo.Moulson's one of the least of the NYI problems.

Moulson+Grabner combined actual salaries= Krejci salary.
Moulson+Okposo's combined actual salaries= Krejci salary.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Quote:

Nah. NYI would not be willing to add anything imo.Moulson's one of the least of the NYI problems.

Moulson+Grabner combined actual salaries= Krejci salary.
Moulson+Okposo's combined actual salaries= Krejci salary.
Sorry. I was unaware that how low a player's salary is determines their worth.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
From the Islanders standpoint, it is.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 05:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Isles actual 2011-2012 team payroll, was just above $36m.

It's unrealistic to say payroll is not a consideration for the NYI, when discussing the roster.

Moulson/KO/Grabner are terrific bang for the buck contracts. No interest in dropping two of the three, to fit Krejci's salary into the budget.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:45 PM
rockinghockey

From the NYI I think it is a good deal as they will have a very good 1-2 going down the centre. That is the first start for any team.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 05:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
From the NYI I think it is a good deal as they will have a very good 1-2 going down the centre. That is the first start for any team.
Isles have invested 1st rounders in Strome and Brock Nelson.
I think it makes more sense to groom these center prospects, to fill the 2nd line center spot, then to take away both 1st line wingers in the same offseason.

Bailey-Tavares-Boyes ?
Grabner-Tavares-Boyes ?

Old
09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
original islander

Quote:
Unfortunately from an Islanders standpoint salary and length of contract are valued over talent. Even the home town discount contracts that Okposo, Gabner and JT signed are back loaded to better benefit the owner. If the Isles do not get a new arena he may sell the team.
You'll notice that the knowledgeable followers aren't arguing that Moulson is a better player just that he's more affordable, although in fairness he does produce goals. The Islander fans are aware that we don't have the monetary resources to compete with the Bruins, Rangers or Flyers, etc.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would've thought the Islanders add, but maybe not. Is he a product of Tavares or not, that's the big question.
It depends on the topic. If it's trade value, Moulson's a legitimate top line 30+ goal scorer who's equal value for Krejci. If it's a comparison thread between Tavares and some other young star, Moulson's a product of Tavares who is lucky to even be in the NHL, and thus could be had for a late round draft pick.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote