HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
  #451
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
It shows nothing to do with the actual game play itself so I don't quite understand your outrage.

Maybe you will be able to use political power plays to have your rivals thrown in jail? That is completely realistic. Maybe you can assassinate or have killed your political or military rivals? Again completely realistic and part of previous games. I didn't see anything in that trailer that wasn't at least somewhat historically accurate.
It's just the focus of the trailer that bothers me. They're trying to sell the idea of the game with that trailer, and apparently they think that video represents the key components of that idea. I find that troubling.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 03:21 PM
  #452
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
It's just the focus of the trailer that bothers me. They're trying to sell the idea of the game with that trailer, and apparently they think that video represents the key components of that idea. I find that troubling.
I think they are trying to capitalize on the hedonistic portrayals of Roman life from shows like Rome and particularly Spartacus.

I've always enjoyed the Total War games and am very much looking forward to this one.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
  #453
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Yeah, I mean it's a great series overall. I just wish the games had a bit more depth and realism. Like the Paradox games. But I'm interested to see what the gameplay looks like for this one. Hopefully they start posting some updates soon.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  #454
Cush
-inator
 
Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,997
vCash: 500
Wasteland 2 footage showing various camera angles


Cush is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 10:26 PM
  #455
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,903
vCash: 500
Total wars trailers have often been off. Their games have evolved a bit, but I think that Shogun 2 and the DLC have moved back to where it should (Napoleon fixed some things as well).

Rome is the roots of the game, and I'm excited.

Chimaera is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
  #456
Francesa
Moderator
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 187,043
vCash: 500
Thought about getting NHL 13, but Semin and Knuble are still on the Caps roster.

EA probably should put better effort into updating their rosters. It's not like they didn't have 3 months or anything to make the proper changes

Might get it later...but not today

Francesa is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 10:11 AM
  #457
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
They usually do a quick roster update after release. Shouldn't be that big a surprise, they must have to submit the game for distribution pretty far ahead of time.

Based on the demo it'll probably take me some time to get used to the new engine, so I'll probably get it today just to get started.

brs03 is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
  #458
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,977
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Via steam picked up Civ V. Had checked out the demo and it seemed pretty cool. Never played any of these before. Anyone here have some veteran tips?

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
  #459
DanTHEMan71
Registered User
 
DanTHEMan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Thought about getting NHL 13, but Semin and Knuble are still on the Caps roster.

EA probably should put better effort into updating their rosters. It's not like they didn't have 3 months or anything to make the proper changes

Might get it later...but not today
The first and latest roster update is available for download online. It's updated as of September 4th.

DanTHEMan71 is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
  #460
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Via steam picked up Civ V. Had checked out the demo and it seemed pretty cool. Never played any of these before. Anyone here have some veteran tips?
I ve played all except CIV V

Tips.. unless you're playing at highest difficulties, research trumps all other considerations. Early on you want to have enough scouts to explore the map for goodies, and build cities near food sources so you can churn out workers/settlers. You need to maintain enough research early to get to some desirable wonders, but after the early expansion stage, it's basically all about research. And usually the way to max research is to stack all research wonders/specialists in one city, usually the capital. In other cities, don't build stuff just for the hell of it, e.g. don't build libraries/marketplaces unless the city is actually generating decent commerce. Naturally, when you're maximizing research, you want to avoid fighting if possible, and attack late in the game with tech. advantage.

Here's a good source for info:
http://www.civfanatics.com/


Last edited by artilector: 09-11-2012 at 06:35 PM.
artilector is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
  #461
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Going back to the Total War discussion, has anyone here played the multiplayer campaign in the newer games? I haven't played any that are new enough to have it, but it's a feature I've always really wanted. Does it run well, etc.?

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
09-11-2012, 07:07 PM
  #462
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,977
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I ve played all except CIV V

Tips.. unless you're playing at highest difficulties, research trumps all other considerations. Early on you want to have enough scouts to explore the map for goodies, and build cities near food sources so you can churn out workers/settlers. You need to maintain enough research early to get to some desirable wonders, but after the early expansion stage, it's basically all about research. And usually the way to max research is to stack all research wonders/specialists in one city, usually the capital. In other cities, don't build stuff just for the hell of it, e.g. don't build libraries/marketplaces unless the city is actually generating decent commerce. Naturally, when you're maximizing research, you want to avoid fighting if possible, and attack late in the game with tech. advantage.

Here's a good source for info:
http://www.civfanatics.com/
Thanks for the info!

usiel is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 06:13 AM
  #463
Francesa
Moderator
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 187,043
vCash: 500
So how's NHL 13? Is it worth getting?

Have to work out the technicalities with upgrading free to gold (can't do so right now because the site is stupid) but I wanted to see if the Be a GM mode was any good or not.

Francesa is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 06:57 AM
  #464
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Seems good so far. Trades are definitely improved (much easier to figure out what the other teams want) in terms of Be a GM, that's obvious from the get-go. Simulations (like advancing the calendar) take longer though; starting to hit hardware limitations I suppose.

brs03 is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
  #465
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist
 
itsjustsurvival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: richmond, virginia.
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
I like most of the changes in 13. Definitely enjoying the game.

itsjustsurvival is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
  #466
Francesa
Moderator
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 187,043
vCash: 500
I don't want to play all 82 games, so that simming issue seems like a problem to me

Francesa is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 04:24 PM
  #467
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I don't want to play all 82 games, so that simming issue seems like a problem to me
It's not like it was fast before. I haven't simmed games yet, just offseason, so I don't know how much slower it is for games but based on reviews it is slower than before.

brs03 is offline  
Old
09-14-2012, 10:57 AM
  #468
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It's not like it was fast before. I haven't simmed games yet, just offseason, so I don't know how much slower it is for games but based on reviews it is slower than before.
The "slow simming" complaints seem to be PS3 related. Xbox users don't appear to be having problems. I'm on Xbox and similar times seem pretty similar to last year.

ChibiPooky is online now  
Old
09-14-2012, 11:00 AM
  #469
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,593
vCash: 500
Ugh, I thought we had moved beyond people not knowing how to code for the cell processor. Guess cross-platform titles are probably still coded primarily for XBox, especially from teams like EA Sports.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
09-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #470
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,027
vCash: 500
Anyone picking up Borderlands 2 at launch? IGN liked it.

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
09-14-2012, 11:36 AM
  #471
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
The "slow simming" complaints seem to be PS3 related. Xbox users don't appear to be having problems. I'm on Xbox and similar times seem pretty similar to last year.
It seems noticeably slower to me on the 360 (again, mostly talking about offseason simming) but not annoyingly so, IMO. Maybe its more significant on the PS3. And it makes sense, since the trade engine seems much more complex. Way more calculations go in to each day I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Anyone picking up Borderlands 2 at launch? IGN liked it.
Getting it via steam.

brs03 is offline  
Old
09-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  #472
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Anyone picking up Borderlands 2 at launch? IGN liked it.
Yup, I'll be getting it on Tuesday.

ChibiPooky is online now  
Old
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
  #473
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It seems noticeably slower to me on the 360 (again, mostly talking about offseason simming) but not annoyingly so, IMO. Maybe its more significant on the PS3. And it makes sense, since the trade engine seems much more complex. Way more calculations go in to each day I'd think.
Huh, maybe I just don't notice things. Either way, it supposedly helps to install to hard drive (makes sense).

ChibiPooky is online now  
Old
09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
  #474
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
I just got NHL 13 and I was checking out some guys' stats, and I came across Jeff Schultz's numbers for "Physical." All realism is gone from the game now for me.

Aggressiveness - 85
Body Checking - 88
Durability - 86
Fighting Skill - 80
Strength - 88

Glad to see they put so much effort into researching the players.

Edit: Also, they **** on Backstrom. He's an 85, which puts him below guys like Plekanec (86), Roy (86!!!!!), M. Richards (87), E. Staal (87), and Kesler (88), and even with guys like Stastny, J. Staal, Cammalleri, and Krejci. Ridiculous.

Oh, and Holtby too. He's a 73 with minimal potential, so he's pretty much useless.


Last edited by Zoidberg Jesus: 09-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Zoidberg Jesus is offline  
Old
09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
  #475
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Holtby's only a 73 because his poise is at 70. If you bump that up at all he goes up to like a 77.

brs03 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.