HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2012-13 Free Agency & Transaction Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 02:04 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
2012-13 Free Agency & Transaction Thread

Split it 50/50 and call it a day. The more this lingers on the more apathetic I become towards hockey this season, and I consider myself a hardcore hockey fan. Especially if the season resumes and its going to be one of those 40 game schedules, I'd rather just miss the entire year than watch a half assed season of hockey, I'd probably follow as casually as possible for that season.

Also, hypothetically, if there is something like a 40 game season, what better timing is there than for fans to actually pull a legit boycott for that half a year? May as well, because everyone thinks this, no fans of teams who havent won the cup REALLY want their first cup win to be off a half season. It's really the only scenerio in my mind where I think a boycott could be pulled off, although I know still highly unlikely.

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 09-13-2012 at 03:13 PM.
PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Split it 50/50 and call it a day. The more this lingers on the more apathetic I become towards hockey this season, and I consider myself a hardcore hockey fan. Especially if the season resumes and its going to be one of those 40 game schedules, I'd rather just miss the entire year than watch a half assed season of hockey, I'd probably follow as casually as possible for that season.

Also, hypothetically, if there is something like a 40 game season, what better timing is there than for fans to actually pull a legit boycott for that half a year? May as well, because everyone thinks this, no fans of teams who havent won the cup REALLY want their first cup win to be off a half season. It's really the only scenerio in my mind where I think a boycott could be pulled off, although I know still highly unlikely.
I sleep on Sens bed sheets, I don't think i would last a week trying to boycott.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:09 PM
topshelfie

The players gave in for the last CBA, I don't think they will this time. It's Bettman's turn IMO.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:

Unfortunately it's not that simple.
I won' get into specifics here, but if you're looking for information I'd refer you to the Business of Hockey board: it's very informative.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
I sleep on Sens bed sheets, I don't think i would last a week trying to boycott.
I'm just apathetic about watching some half assed season thrown together I guess, if that indeed does happen. The only interest I would have is watching Alfie's perhaps final games of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Unfortunately it's not that simple.
I won' get into specifics here, but if you're looking for information I'd refer you to the Business of Hockey board: it's very informative.
I've read some there, and to me it is very simple in the fact the thought that these two sides can't come together to divide up $ fairly is disgusting to me, but I'm not a labour negotiator. 3 lockouts since I've been a fan seems pretty unacceptable in my mind.

Old
09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Bettman "29 teams have made the playoffs.."

Oh Toronto.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
benjiv1

Does anyone know why they can't simply agree to extend the current CBA by a year, so that they can prevent a lock-out, and continue negotiations throughout the year?

I'm sure there is some reason why the owners wouldn't consider this, but people's jobs are on the line here!

I know for a fact that O'Connor's Irish Pub in Kanata almost lost nearly a million dollars in revenue during the last lockout. I imagine bars/pubs all around north america suffered similar fates...

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Does anyone know why they can't simply agree to extend the current CBA by a year, so that they can prevent a lock-out, and continue negotiations throughout the year?

I'm sure there is some reason why the owners wouldn't consider this, but people's jobs are on the line here!

I know for a fact that O'Connor's Irish Pub in Kanata almost lost nearly a million dollars in revenue during the last lockout. I imagine bars/pubs all around north america suffered similar fates...
The NHLPA said they would do it but the NHL said no way.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:08 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:

Because the league still has enough guaranteed revenue (eg from TV deals) that they can afford to stick it to the players for a year.

09-13-2012, 03:28 PM
WantEggRoll

Quote:

There is also the fact that if the league doesn't lock the players out and they extend the deal then the players could strike during the season. Only way they could've pulled it off was if both teams signed a contract stating no lockouts/strikes.

Old
09-13-2012, 03:35 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
Can they bring in scabs? I would watch that.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
The players gave in for the last CBA, I don't think they will this time. It's Bettman's turn IMO.
Thats not happening... The owners voted for a lockout... They Owners arent going to continue to play under the current system.... I dont see the players coming out on top here... They cant afford to not play... Owners can

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:53 PM
DaveMatthew

It seems like the owners are banking on the "well the fans came back in droves last time so they'll do it again" line of thinking. Personally, I don't think it'll turn out that way.

After 04/05, you had two generational talents enter, and tear up, the league (Crosby & Ovechkin), and the NHL was able to focus all of their marketing efforts around them. Plus, you had all sorts of rule changes that opened the game up after the dead puck era.

If you look at it this year, none of that is on the horizon. Baseball didn't recover until the home run race with Sosa and McGwire, and that was what, 4 years after their strike?

Crosby/Ovechkin were hockey's Sosa and McGwire the first time... we may have to wait a while until that happens again.

I'd also say that there were more fans back then who felt that a lockout was a necessary evil, primarily to get small market teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, etc on a level playing field. I don't get that sense this time.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:

I would still watch it on TV but 100% sure I wouldn't buy tickets

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
Can they bring in scabs? I would watch that.
No. It's a lockout. You can't lockout employees who are willing to work (players are not striking; this is important) and replace them that way. Against labour laws in most jurisdictions.

metalfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Anyone who doesn't follow the Sens because of a lockout or whatever is not a hardcore fan.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
No. It's a lockout. You can't lockout employees who are willing to work (players are not striking; this is important) and replace them that way. Against labour laws in most jurisdictions.
Serious question...

Whats the deal with the NFL refs then?? Are "scabs" not replacing employees who are willing to work without a CBA?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Good point. I'm not sure what the deal is there. I might be misunderstanding the relevant labour laws.

metalfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Dionysus

I don't think the idea of a boycott will catch on enough to truly make any real difference. I would like to see the NHL forced to open the season as scheduled and both sides negotiate as the season progresses. Do they have the right to take away a season from the huge amount of people who enjoy hockey?

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:33 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I don't think the idea of a boycott will catch on enough to truly make any real difference. I would like to see the NHL forced to open the season as scheduled and both sides negotiate as the season progresses. Do they have the right to take away a season from the huge amount of people who enjoy hockey?
If fans in Ottawa boycotted the team then pretty soon we would have no team.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Good point. I'm not sure what the deal is there. I might be misunderstanding the relevant labour laws.
I didn't think the Refs were locked out, they were striking. So they can be replaced. If the players boycott the season I believe the owners could replace them, but not vice versa. Labor laws change to a lot in different provinces/states so not 100%.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Anyone who doesn't follow the Sens because of a lockout or whatever is not a hardcore fan.
I actually hope all the casual fans stop going to games/buying merch, a 2nd lockout in 8 years is beyond ridiculous. Not supporting the league financially will hit them where it hurts.

There is absolutely no reason to lock out again, move Phoenix somewhere profitable and make the HRR 50/50 or close to it, like every other league in North America and keep watching the profits soar

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:53 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
How exactly do you follow the sens if they aren't playing any games?

Also, your statement seems very elitist.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
WantEggRoll

Quote:
How exactly do you follow the sens if they aren't playing any games?

Also, your statement seems very elitist.
Physically stalk them duh.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:54 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
You sound like you are a pretty young guy unless you are just trying to troll.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote