HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stephen Weiss

Old
09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
frankthetank91

vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss

......at the trade deadline(if there is a season)

I know Florida doesn't have good at the C position but let's say they are out of the playoffs and Huberdeau shows promise and has a good rookie season. Seeing as Weiss would be a UFA what would his value be?

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

1st plus solid prospect at the least

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:21 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
1st plus solid prospect at the least
Scary that this is actually market value for a rental, judging by what some player's returned last TD.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

considering we just lost gudbranson to shoulder injury for 4 months and versteeg is still out for another 2 the prospects of us missing the playoffs is a highly realistic one.

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Scary that this is actually market value for a rental, judging by what some player's returned last TD.
Paul Gaustad has forever ruined TD rentals.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
If Berglund isn't producing like a 2nd line center by the deadline, I think we'd be pretty interested.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Beezeral

Considering Weiss loves playing for Florida and wants to stick it out and be part of the revival, even if all the OPs conditionals happen, I see Weiss staying in Florida for the forseeable future.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:56 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

We would need a center coming back if we ever traded Weiss. Probably in a package deal.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
......at the trade deadline(if there is a season)

I know Florida doesn't have good at the C position but let's say they are out of the playoffs and Huberdeau shows promise and has a good rookie season. Seeing as Weiss would be a UFA what would his value be?
To Florida:
Andrew Shaw
Kyle Beach
1st 2014

To Chicago:
Weiss
3rd 2013

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:18 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
To Florida:
Andrew Shaw
Kyle Beach
1st 2014

To Chicago:
Weiss
3rd 2013
Eh, value is not great. If it was a 2013 first the value would be decent, but it's not what the Panthers would trade Weiss for. If you read my above post.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:23 PM
thrillhouse99

I'll give you Clarke MacArthur and a 3rd for him.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I'll give you Clarke MacArthur and a 3rd for him.

Hypothetically, in a vaccuum, Kesler + Luongo for Huberdeau + Weiss?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

No thanks.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:33 PM
TurdFerguson

Quote:
Paul Gaustad has forever ruined TD rentals.
I disagree. The Paul Gaustad trade was a poor attempt at trying to convince Suter to stay because of the efforts to improve the team. Even more so, it was an indictment of the poor upcoming UFA market and, by extension, the rental market.

This upcoming season appears to have much more interesting rental and free agent markets (as is normally true this time of year), but last year was an anomaly.

GM's certainly know way more than myself about supply and demand, and Weiss is certainly worth a first, but don't expect to see Gaustad-like trades to become common.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
considering we just lost gudbranson to shoulder injury for 4 months and versteeg is still out for another 2 the prospects of us missing the playoffs is a highly realistic one.
I'll agree to disagree. Obviously doesn't bode well for us and Steeger is by far the bigger loss, but I still believe I the team and it's abilities. And I'm not at all scared of the teams around us.

09-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Mrb1p

Weiss is a quality Center. Panthers hold on to him.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Weiss is a quality Center. Panthers hold on to him.
Think Martin gave him a NTC, too, meant to put in my post that I don't see him being moved. Maybe it happens that we're just way out and we send him as a rental, but I can see him re-signing.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:11 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:

Yikes. Not even close.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yikes. Not even close.
Yeah, VK has been enough threads he should know by now. Lol

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Weiss was the only one willing to stick it out here long term I doubt he gets moved, that would make Goc the first line center, even if Huberdeau impresses hes not going to be the number 1 center in only his second year (next year). Plus we would probably sign him for cheap

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
There's going to be a lockout anyway.

I still can't see Weiss not re-signing, it would be very strange to see him leave.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Eh, value is not great. If it was a 2013 first the value would be decent, but it's not what the Panthers would trade Weiss for. If you read my above post.
Agh Weiss will be a Ufa at the end of next season won't get much more then that, but keep dreaming I guess.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
We would need a center coming back if we ever traded Weiss. Probably in a package deal.
Based on the idea in the OP that Huberdeau impresses and plays well as a rookie and actually does play center instead of wing, maybe we wouldnt need a center coming back. It just depends on a few other things as well...how far away the team thinks Bjugstad is from being a top 2 line center, if he's not ready can Goc hold down the fort for a yr on the 2nd line, is there someone else available via free agency to fill the gap?

Personally I think if we are out of the playoff race at the deadline, we have to at least consider trading Weiss. The return could be very good, the starting point would be a 1st rounder in 2013 and then some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Considering Weiss loves playing for Florida and wants to stick it out and be part of the revival, even if all the OPs conditionals happen, I see Weiss staying in Florida for the forseeable future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Weiss was the only one willing to stick it out here long term I doubt he gets moved, that would make Goc the first line center, even if Huberdeau impresses hes not going to be the number 1 center in only his second year (next year). Plus we would probably sign him for cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
There's going to be a lockout anyway.

I still can't see Weiss not re-signing, it would be very strange to see him leave.
While as much as I like Weiss and he's been loyal as anyone to the team, I dont know that we can just say it's doubtful he gets moved. If we struggle and are obviously not a playoff contender, I think Tallon thinks long and hard about moving Weiss if the return is good enough. I'd also hate to see him leave being that he will become the franchise's leading scorer and has played the most games in franchise history...he kinda deserves to retire as a Panther if thats his choice IMO.

And while I think we may have a good chance at re-signing him even as a free agent, I dont know if thats the best move for the organization long term. I mean we have Huberdeau, Bjugstad and possibly Shore in our pipeline at center for potential top 2 line centers. Thats not including guys like Grimaldi, Trocheck, and Knight who could play anything from 2nd or 3rd line spots at center. Plus we have an underrated guy in Goc who could hold down a 2nd line spot if guys arent ready in the short term. Would we be better off spending upwards of $5M on Weiss or maybe we get someone else at another position for cheaper and we get enough production out of them. Its probably a crapshoot either way I guess.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Based on the idea in the OP that Huberdeau impresses and plays well as a rookie and actually does play center instead of wing, maybe we wouldnt need a center coming back. It just depends on a few other things as well...how far away the team thinks Bjugstad is from being a top 2 line center, if he's not ready can Goc hold down the fort for a yr on the 2nd line, is there someone else available via free agency to fill the gap?

Personally I think if we are out of the playoff race at the deadline, we have to at least consider trading Weiss. The return could be very good, the starting point would be a 1st rounder in 2013 and then some.

While as much as I like Weiss and he's been loyal as anyone to the team, I dont know that we can just say it's doubtful he gets moved. If we struggle and are obviously not a playoff contender, I think Tallon thinks long and hard about moving Weiss if the return is good enough. I'd also hate to see him leave being that he will become the franchise's leading scorer and has played the most games in franchise history...he kinda deserves to retire as a Panther if thats his choice IMO.

And while I think we may have a good chance at re-signing him even as a free agent, I dont know if thats the best move for the organization long term. I mean we have Huberdeau, Bjugstad and possibly Shore in our pipeline at center for potential top 2 line centers. Thats not including guys like Grimaldi, Trocheck, and Knight who could play anything from 2nd or 3rd line spots at center. Plus we have an underrated guy in Goc who could hold down a 2nd line spot if guys arent ready in the short term. Would we be better off spending upwards of $5M on Weiss or maybe we get someone else at another position for cheaper and we get enough production out of them. Its probably a crapshoot either way I guess.

Weiss, much like Plekanec in MTL,is one of the veteran player you should be looking to keep. He's a great leader and a great producer.. He's nearly irreplacable for you(just like Plek.) and has great attitude to top it all off. (and loves the city) why not keep him to show the path to the young kids ? When you have a veteran like him that was developped by the organization you keep him.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post

It's a possibility that Weiss is moved, but a slight one IMO. First of all, the return would have to be pretty sweet to consider it if I'm Tallon. A 2013 1st at the very least, with preferably a good prospect added on. Also, with your scenarios the Panthers actually take a step back for at least a season. Who's going to replace Weiss's production. Even if we take a step back in 2012-13, I think Tallon will be eagerly awaiting 13-14.

We'll be very lucky if Shore becomes as good as Weiss. Grimaldi likely won't be a center in the NHL, he's not even a center right now. Trocheck is far from a sure thing, and I really wouldn't count on Knight being more than a 4th line center on a Cup contending team. You don't move Weiss to make room for prospects. Would we be better off spending 5+M on Weiss? Yes. I don't see the logic in trying to get a different position player for less money and hoping he scores 60 pts. Besides, we are already crowded at wing, and will be even moreso if Huberdeau and Howden end up being wingers. Center is where we need help.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote