HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: This is the last one, Really!

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
ScottsdaleYote

vCash: 500
After listening to about 45 minutes of the council meeting yesterday, I've never been more pessimistic about keeping the team. These people are way in over their head. Skeete is not qualified to negotiate a deal like this. The council is effectively trying to get Jamison to close their budget gap for them because they are not competent to balance a budget. This deal is a $1m-$2m deficit reduction item for them. They agreed to it with a vote. Now they want to reneg on the deal. It's low class and unprofessional. I can't imagine how frustrated a business man like Jamison is while dealing with these idiots.

If we lose this team, do not point fingers at the NHL, Bettman, Jamison, or anyone else but the Glendale City Council. If you live in Glendale, please do a better job electing people to your council...the current lot is a joke.

Old
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

There is plenty of blame to go around.

09-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
After listening to about 45 minutes of the council meeting yesterday, I've never been more pessimistic about keeping the team. These people are way in over their head. Skeete is not qualified to negotiate a deal like this. The council is effectively trying to get Jamison to close their budget gap for them because they are not competent to balance a budget. This deal is a $1m-$2m deficit reduction item for them. They agreed to it with a vote. Now they want to reneg on the deal. It's low class and unprofessional. I can't imagine how frustrated a business man like Jamison is while dealing with these idiots.

If we lose this team, do not point fingers at the NHL, Bettman, Jamison, or anyone else but the Glendale City Council. If you live in Glendale, please do a better job electing people to your council...the current lot is a joke.
No can do!!! Also, I'm not going to back down from telling the truth on this to please anyone who is only interested in what they want to hear. The NHL and Gary Bettman are just as much responsible for why the franchise is where it is now.

Before the bankruptcy was filed, Gary Bettman and company had plenty of time to complete the sale of the Coyotes to Jerry Reindorf who also was going to get $15 million a season in concessions from the city. Instead both Gary Bettman and the NHL failed to watch Jerry Moyes like a hawk while they chose to let Moyes stay around despite him giving the keys to the league in exchange for $35 Million dollars. At that point in time Moyes was no longer responsible for the team or held to the lease the same way Ellman got out of his responsibility all around when Moyes brought him out. Bill Daly even said during the challenge of the petition that Moyes sold the team to the league for that much. When it came down to the bankruptcy. Bill Daly even said that according to the proxy agreement that was signed that Moyes not allowed to put the team into banruptcy and the filing should be thrown out. Instead, Judge Balm said the that no such thing existed in the proxy and ordered both sides to mediation.

As a result of the incompetence by those in upper-management by the NHL, the damage to the franchise is now out of control to where any new potentional owner is going to ask for way more from the city than the $15 million a year in concessions. Yet the NHL feels in an unethical manner that everyone else except for the NHL should have to take a hit in the wallet in order to make this work in Arizona.

We can also blame the judge in this case for making a stupid ruiling that benefited the private entity in this case and put the taxpayers at risk. If the judge had a clue, he would have based his ruiling in the case on both the Islanders and the Pens where both their leases were held up in a court of law. This should have been the ruling in the 1st place and had such a ruiling been in place then this cluster**** would not be here right now.

Overall, there is plenty of blame to go around. At best, despite how insane Glendale has been in this process, I feel sorry for the city here seeing how they were willing to step up and give this team an arena when no other city would let alone the team not being able to get a better deal while playing at the AWA.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 09-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old
09-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Phoenix Coyotes sale on the verge of closing as Jamison, Glendale hash out arena terms
Quote:
Glendale wants to cut the first five years of that payment plan from $92 million down to $72 million.

Jamison is now open to those changes and wants to get a deal done this week, according to multiple sources familiar with the last-minute negotiations.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-verge-of.html

New Phoenix Coyotes arena deal likely to require public vote

Quote:
...it is unlikely the city can hold a private vote on a new pact.

The city also is subject to an open meetings lawsuit from the Goldwater Institute watchdog group.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...al-likely.html

Quote:
@mikesunx
#Coyotes Jamison and city hammering out new deal today. Open 2 new terms, new deal, sale & Doan re-signing could all happen, b in place Fri

Last edited by Naurutger: 09-13-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Updates-take it for what it is worth
Old
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
We can also blame the judge in this case for making a stupid ruiling that benefited the private entity in this case and put the taxpayers at risk. If the judge had a clue, he would have based his ruiling in the case on both the Islanders and the Pens where both their leases were held up in a court of law. This should have been the ruling in the 1st place and had such a ruiling been in place then this cluster**** would not be here right now.

I remember back in the day Glendale's public position was their attorney's had an agreement with the Coyotes that was bulletproof and immune from BK - they even pointed to the Pens & Islanders examples and said theiur agreement was more ironclad than those.

of course since then I've learned that when the Glendale attorneys assure the Council that something is bulletproof it might not be a bad time to run for the hills and GTFO of dodge because that paper the CA is insisting is bulletproof might be no more bulletproof than a one ply piece of toilet paper.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
DancesWithWookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
FYI Mike Sunnucks will be on 1060 am sometime after 3 today (azsportstalk.com). I will update when I hear of a time...watching the CBA "negotiation" pressers today bummed me out but I digress...perhaps this will pick me up.
One things for sure, there wont be any hockey in glendalethis year.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
One things for sure, there wont be any hockey in glendale this year.
Its possible; the NBA had their big "let's get this done moment" for the 12-25-11 games so the NHL's moment is probably the 1-1-13 game. However, without any positive publicity to lead into that game, it would get killed in ratings compared College Football...so I would hope they avoid it.

NBA somehow rebounded and reported high ratings this year. Not sure it would be so easy for the NHL when half the time the games are on some obscure channel.

Also, Dear Mr Jamison, get them Yotes on another channel besides FSN+. Thank you.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
goyotes

The NHL cannot afford a lockout. I can honestly say with the exception of football, prior lockouts did effect my interest in that particular sport. I probably watch half the MLB games I used to 10 years ago, and if I watch 10 NBA games a year, that is a lot. Their labor issues really turned me off. Mainly, it was the players who turned me off, but I say a pox on both their houses.

The NHL can least afford a labor stoppage. The problem is, I also believe that probably 20 teams cannot afford, long-term, operation under the current CBA. This will hurt the NHL in all but the most traditional of markets. If the Coyotes stay, the lockout will probably hurt them too, but since attendance doesn't really pick up until after the 1st of the year, the Coyotes may be one of the teams that doesn't notice the ill effects until next year.

Old
09-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Still, Skeete said it’s “feasible” he and Jamison could agree on reworked #Coyotes deal by end of day tomorrow. -- Lisa Halverstadt
(@LisaHalverstadt)

Last edited by Naurutger: 09-13-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
doaner

Gotta love the 11th hour desperation!

Old
09-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

C'mon Jamison, get this done buddy.....

Old
09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

End of day tomorrow is too late.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:03 PM
doaner

If they are this close, I'd bet Doan signs.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:40 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
If they are this close, I'd bet Doan signs.
Me too. He just needs a relatively decent excuse to sign. If there is one thing this whole mess has proved it's that Shane Doan loves Arizona and the Coyotes.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
End of day tomorrow is too late.
Could very well be, but if he really wants to stay here, could a matter of hours be a difference maker?

Old
09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Me too. He just needs a relatively decent excuse to sign. If there is one thing this whole mess has proved it's that Shane Doan loves Arizona and the Coyotes.
You know, you guys might be right. Maybe Jamison calls him and says, "Shane, I'm not happy with what these goofballs are doing with the lease, and I have no choice but to counter offer. That said, if push comes to shove, i would accept their current offer, as is. So one way or another, im going to close this, but i simply must negotiate further." Or something to that effect. Maybe thats hood enough for Doan to re-up on a multi-year. He still has the ace in the hole of publicly demanding a trade in the event of relocation. Say GWI ****s it up and the Coyotes are playing in QC on the other side of a long lock out. Bross can just go all Lindros and state that they won't play in QC. Maloney probably won't be fired IMMEDIATELY and he probably wont quit IMMEDIATELY. maybe his last move could be Doan from Quebec to LA for a 7th.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
_Del_

I hope GMDM just says, "Look, if we're not here I'll send you anywhere you want to go" and that this is convincing to Doan. But I'm way past optimism about this whole thing.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:07 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
I hope GMDM just says, "Look, if we're not here I'll send you anywhere you want to go" and that this is convincing to Doan. But I'm way past optimism about this whole thing.
Why not just put an option in the contract that says Doan can void the remaining years if the team moves?

Old
09-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
That would make everything so much easier.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Why not just put an option in the contract that says Doan can void the remaining years if the team moves?
Because there is a collective bargaining agreement for one more day and it does not allow for it.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:48 PM
lockstock

We should break protocol and keep this thread open until midnight tomorrow, even if it hits 1,000 posts. Hopefully, the next one will be titled something positive about having an owner. If no owner and Doan signs elsewhere, well, "this is the last one" could easily be the new "two weeks."

Old
09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 362
Could he sign a one year contract and then extend/rework it once the ownership mess is finalized?

Old
09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Could he sign a one year contract and then extend/rework it once the ownership mess is finalized?
He would be taking one hundred percent of the risk. There is almost no chance he will get a better contract one year from now and a very, very good chance he'd get a significantly worse contract one year from now. Maybe if they offered one year at eight million.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
We should break protocol and keep this thread open until midnight tomorrow, even if it hits 1,000 posts. Hopefully, the next one will be titled something positive about having an owner. If no owner and Doan signs elsewhere, well, "this is the last one" could easily be the new "two weeks."
I agree..

Old
09-14-2012, 12:18 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Assuming the new CBA keeps the current contract rules:

- Doan could sign a one year deal.
- The contract could not be reworked or otherwise renegotiated.
- Doan and the team could not sign an extension until January 1st.

Players currently on multi-year contracts can sign extensions on July 1st of the contract's final year. Players with one year contracts can't sign extensions until Jan 1st.

Closed Thread