HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2012-12 I: Gary and Donald sitting in a tree

Old
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Owners want to discuss how to divide the apple pie.

PA wants to discuss how to divide the cherry pie.

Until players shift to the owners' framework, nothing will get done.
Pretty much... I am on the players' side in this whole deal, but they really need to start negotiating with the owners (who have at least started to back down from their insane first offer). I have done numerous corporate negotiations over my time, and if you aren't on the same page, you find a way to get there so you can get the real negotiations started. A stalemate does absolutely no good for anyone involved and that looks like where the players are taking it. I highly doubt we see hockey before the new year, and I see at least a solid chance we lose the season.

If the players don't start working the NHL will take back their offer and make more insane demands. Remember the final agreement during the last lockout was worse than the season saving offer the owners put out there.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
BoxOfChocolates

You can tell that the player are a bunch of dumb spoiled brats, who clearly have no idea how luck they are to be getting payed millions to play a sport.

**** 'em.

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
You can tell that the player are a bunch of dumb spoiled brats, who clearly have no idea how luck they are to be getting payed millions to play a sport.

**** 'em.

How would you feel if your boss signs to a contract, then a couple of months later asks you to give some money back? The only thing you could tell is that the owners are either greedy or stupid. You can't be a successful businessman if you're stupid so, they're greedy. Divide the money between yourselves or lose money everyday of the lockout. The players are going to get paid (much less) and play hockey regardless.

**** the owners I say.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post

**** 'em.
The owners claim poor, but hand out massive contracts to Suter, Parise, Weber, Kovalchuk, etc. They say and do two completely different things.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
The owners claim poor, but hand out massive contracts to Suter, Parise, Weber, Kovalchuk, etc. They say and do two completely different things.
I guarantee their egos were big enough to convince them they'd be able to bully the PA into another rollback of some sort. That's why they're so adamant about it. The richer teams handed out some big deals lately, and the cheaper teams would love to pay less in salary too. They hate the idea of having to pay full salaries. They've probably been working on the basis that they wouldn't have to all year.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Elever
Hth

^ You're confusing GM's with owners.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Not when it comes to long term big money deals. No owner is taking a backseat and letting a GM do whatever he wants with deals like that. They're very much involved, and IMO probably rationalized the notion of coughing up that much dough with the plan of rolling back salaries in some fasion. Whether it's a pure rollback or by some other name.

We've been hearing about the likelihood of salaries getting rolled back again going back at least a year. That wasn't just a fabricated idea by some journalist. They've obviously had that idea all along.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Owners still have to sign off on those deals. No GM can hand out $196M to two players in free agency without his owner's permission. Especially when the contracts include large signing bonuses which have to paid whether there is a lockout or not.

Owners and GMs are working together on this. It's kinda sad and also pretty funny how the owners want lower salaries and want the max contract length to be 5 years but then they're also trying to get all of their young players locked up for 6+ years before the new CBA is agreed upon.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
I don't understand why Oilers fans are so set on acting like Landeskog's Calder was some gimmick, they post stats after stats and keep pimping RNH's offense as if he didn't get injured it proves he would have won.

What is so difficult in understanding how absurd it is to claim that as fact? Am I missing something here?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:52 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I don't understand why Oilers fans are so set on acting like Landeskog's Calder was some gimmick, they post stats after stats and keep pimping RNH's offense as if he didn't get injured it proves he would have won.

What is so difficult in understanding how absurd it is to claim that as fact? Am I missing something here?
I don't think you're missing anything. Part of being a good player is having the ability to stay healthy.

RNH is a FANTASTIC talent, but one can wonder if the Oilers should have allowed him the option to send him back to WHL to spend one more year bulking up and getting prepared. Yeah he's got a decent height at 6'1 but at 175 (if that's actually accurate) he's still a potential injury liability.

Oiler fans are just miffed because they know they're still in the process of rebuilding and RNH getting the Calder would have been a major highlight last year. Landeskog wasn't supposed to be as good as he was last year. But, as some say, "Them's the breaks".

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

He would have won if he didn't get injured, but he did. So he didn't win. That's just one of the important factors in calder voting. They just haven't had a lot going for their team for a long time, and had multiple players leave in dramatic fashion. Landeskog stole the only trophy they can win. A rookie of the year trophy for your lottery pick player.

It's the same reason Columbus fans had nothing better to do than demonize Foote when he left. They got nothing else to talk about and have to take out their frustrations somehow.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Ok, I read this on Twitter and I laughed a lot...

Quote:
Rickety DiPietro ‏@RicketyDiPietro
The # of #NHL lockouts presided over by Gary Bettman is about to exceed the # of playoff wins I have amassed in my illustrious career #Isles

Old
09-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Ok, I read this on Twitter and I laughed a lot...
Haha, I'm guessing that's not his real twitter account? Would be pretty funny if he was that self deprecating. I wonder if that Rickety name will stick.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:27 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Haha, I'm guessing that's not his real twitter account?
I think it is, I don't follow that guy, that tweet was Re-Tweeted by PA Parenteau

****EDIT****

I actually checked out the profile, and no, it does not appear to be the real Rick DiPietro, it looks like a parody account. But still, that's a funny tweet.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Here's another tweet that was RT'd by Parenteau.

Quote:
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Ryan Miller: "If Gary's operated at a loss for how many of (20) years, how is he still in a position of leadership, or even have a job"?

Retweeted by P-A Parenteau

Old
09-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
I think it is, I don't follow that guy, that tweet was Re-Tweeted by PA Parenteau

****EDIT****

I actually checked out the profile, and no, it does not appear to be the real Rick DiPietro, it looks like a parody account. But still, that's a funny tweet.
Ha, nice. Guess he can afford to have that self deprecating sense of humor with the contract he has. Maybe he's trying to convince Wang to buy him out.

Edit: clearly didn't read your edit. yes still a funny line.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 09-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old
09-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Here's another tweet that was RT'd by Parenteau.

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Ryan Miller: "If Gary's operated at a loss for how many of (20) years, how is he still in a position of leadership, or even have a job"?

Retweeted by P-A Parenteau
Wow, I was wondering when they were gonna start putting pressure on Bettman's job publicly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bettman take the fall for the owners greed, and bring in a new guy to get a deal done and save face like the PA did last time.

I'm surprised it took them this long to bring up the fact publicly that Bettman has presided over three lockouts and still has a job, while the union has had a new guy each time. Doesn't take a mathematician to find the common denominator there.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

vCash: 177
Doan better not go to the Canucks...

The Shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Doan better not go to the Canucks...
It just gives me a reason to hate them even more... if that's possible.

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Elever
Hth

Did we attempt to make an offer by any chance? He did say West Coast, we're not that far off tbh.

Wonder what NHL players would feel if it takes a lockout to dethrone Bettman.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

I am so sick of hearing how Jamison has finalized everything to buy the Coyotes, and then no he hasn't, and then yes he has, and then no he hasn't. What the F?

Bettman has really f' d this whole thing up insisting on keeping the Yotes in Phoenix. He insists there needs to be 30 teams, and they need to be in non traditional hockey markets, and then refuses to move them when they lose money every year.

Not only that, the rest of the owners refuse to help the struggling franchises, so they insist the players have to give back more money out of their share to pay for the teams that don't work. To help the same teams they insist need to stay in struggling markets. Of course the players don't think that is fair, and now no one gets what they want.

You ever get the sense there's little to no rational thinking going on in the NHL head office? Did they really think all this posturing, and that horrible slap in the face offer to start off wouldn't seriously damage their chances of getting a deal done on time? It forces the PA to posture on their own, and make sure they don't get bullied again. Meanwhile the league is still insisting the players make most of the concessions? How is that a good plan of attack on CBA negotiations?

Old
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I don't think you're missing anything. Part of being a good player is having the ability to stay healthy.

RNH is a FANTASTIC talent, but one can wonder if the Oilers should have allowed him the option to send him back to WHL to spend one more year bulking up and getting prepared. Yeah he's got a decent height at 6'1 but at 175 (if that's actually accurate) he's still a potential injury liability.

Oiler fans are just miffed because they know they're still in the process of rebuilding and RNH getting the Calder would have been a major highlight last year. Landeskog wasn't supposed to be as good as he was last year. But, as some say, "Them's the breaks".
Quote:
He would have won if he didn't get injured, but he did. So he didn't win. That's just one of the important factors in calder voting. They just haven't had a lot going for their team for a long time, and had multiple players leave in dramatic fashion. Landeskog stole the only trophy they can win. A rookie of the year trophy for your lottery pick player.

It's the same reason Columbus fans had nothing better to do than demonize Foote when he left. They got nothing else to talk about and have to take out their frustrations somehow.
This ...

In 1989 Joe Sakic was on his way to win the Calder but he got injured . They finally gave it to Brian Leetch. Dont get me wrong Leetch is one of the best Damn in NHL history , but that year , b4 his injury Sakic was all alone to win to trophy.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
I'm surprised by the amount of support for the players. The players are making 57% of the revenue and have none of the expenses of the owners. Also add the fact that over half of the teams lost money in 2011-2012.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I am so sick of hearing how Jamison has finalized everything to buy the Coyotes, and then no he hasn't, and then yes he has, and then no he hasn't. What the F?

Bettman has really f' d this whole thing up insisting on keeping the Yotes in Phoenix. He insists there needs to be 30 teams, and they need to be in non traditional hockey markets, and then refuses to move them when they lose money every year.

Not only that, the rest of the owners refuse to help the struggling franchises, so they insist the players have to give back more money out of their share to pay for the teams that don't work. To help the same teams they insist need to stay in struggling markets. Of course the players don't think that is fair, and now no one gets what they want.

You ever get the sense there's little to no rational thinking going on in the NHL head office? Did they really think all this posturing, and that horrible slap in the face offer to start off wouldn't seriously damage their chances of getting a deal done on time? It forces the PA to posture on their own, and make sure they don't get bullied again. Meanwhile the league is still insisting the players make most of the concessions? How is that a good plan of attack on CBA negotiations?
i'm from Québec , how do you think we feel about this whole saga .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
i'm from Québec , how do you think we feel about this whole saga .
I'm sure no Phoenix fan would agree with me, but they just need to send them to friggin Quebec already. Better hockey market, more hockey tradition, better for the league revenue wise, they'll have one less team with the kind of problems they're insisting the players cover for.

Why the hell has Bettman insisted they stay in Phoenix all this time? I just don't get it. They've lost tons and tons money, and never did anything in the playoff until last year. Does that sound like they've successfully built a foundation for a strong hockey market in a town that never had one to begin with? They failed in Phoenix, just like they did in Atlanta. Time to cut your losses and move on.