HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

DET signs Carlo Colaiacovo [2 years, $2,5MIL per]

Old
09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Welp, this pretty much seals the Cup for Detroit. Might as well not even play out the season. Oh, wait...

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
^^^^
Just poking a little bit, but that STILL isn't a "confirmed" signing...

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:18 PM
The Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He'll help them...but why such a big contract? He should have got 1 year, 2M like Roszi.
I'm guessing its because all along Colai has been reported to be asking for a 3 year deal, which the Wings didn't want to give him. They probably raised the salary a bit to get him to agree to the shorter term.

Even with a reduced salary cap, the Wings still have a ton of cap space, so paying an extra couple hundred grand doesn't in any way handcuff them.

Not sure why everyone thinks the Roszival signing is so much better. Roszival has been injured as much or more than Carlo the past few seasons and is five years older. Similar quality players, but I do wish Colai was a right hander like Roszi. Either way they are both average depth dmen, nothing more.

People acting like this is the Wings "Lidstrom replacement" is just idiotic. The Wings only had 6 dmen signed, obviously they were going to pick someone up. This isn't Lidstrom's replacement, its a veteran/depth 3rd pairing guy at a fair price.

The Red Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
Came here just to see this.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Underrated Dman. I liked Coliacovo on the Leafs. Steady guy when he is not hurt. Glad for him.

09-13-2012, 08:17 PM
tony d
The man

No surprise really. The guy, when healthy, is a pretty good defenseman. Best of luck to him in Detroit.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:37 PM
cjm502

Still not a done deal...

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:13 PM
jroc86

Done deal now. Announcement tmw for CC and Abby.

Meh, Ill take it. If CC can somehow manage to stay healthy he should put up 30-35 points. Guy can skates and move the puck - unlike most of the FA's that are still out there and I suppose his style is decent insurance in case Smith sh#ts the bed out of the gate.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Yep, done deal:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....f_pre-loc.html

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings took care of some pre-lockout business Thursday, signing free-agent defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and re-signing forward Justin Abdelkader.

Colaiacovo received a two-year contract worth an average of $2.5 million per season. Abdelkader inked a four-year deal, believed to be in the neighborhood of $1.7 million per season.

The moves will be announced on Friday.
Credit goes to MISC in the Abdelkader thread. He found this information.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 50
i cant judge this untill i see carlo play a full 82 in the NHL.

on a side note i was at a jays game just after the season we made the p.o but the islanders beat jersey pushing us out. I sat near him wellwood, jay harrison and wisnewski. they all got booed. but welly did sign a shirt for me.

jasonleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:53 AM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
Not sure where all this "underrated" hoopla comes from. Colaiacovo is far from it. To Wings fans who like this signing, prepare to be disappointed. I had high hopes for Colaiacovo until Hitchcock came along and added structure to the Blues. Colaiacovo seriously struggled last year and seemed to get worse. He was routinely benched, especially late in the season and in the playoffs. It didn't matter who he was paired up with or where he was on the ice. He couldn't keep up.
Babcock is a much superior coach that knows how to use his players properly... and get the most out of them.

Only the Blues seem to hate the guy, not sure why. When he's healthy, he is a solid player and an upgrade over the aging Stuart that fled to SJ Sharks.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

This is like replacing Peter Forsberg with Pierre Turgeon.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:11 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Only the Blues seem to hate the guy, not sure why. When he's healthy, he is a solid player and an upgrade over the aging Stuart that fled to SJ Sharks.
Most fanbases are not forgiving of players who show that they can be better for long stretches, but are simply inconsistent. Colaiacovo has the tools to be a much better player and, from time to time, his performance hits those heights. That makes his flubs all the more frustrating. He is terrible at holding the puck in at the opposing blue line, he makes poorly-timed pinches, and he makes weird mistakes while he isn't being pressured. And for the past couple of seasons, he's been responsible for more than his share of defensive gaffs that lead to hurtful goals against.

Even counting his injuries, he is absolutely not all bad. He's a terrific #5 or an okay #4 who can perform on the powerplay and can temporarily fill in on a higher pairing. Some young players also have commented that he helped them a lot in the transition to the NHL. But a guy who shows that he's capable of more and then makes so many mistakes is exactly the kind of player that drives fans nuts, even if he contributes.

Ever since the Blues lost Pronger and MacInnis, Blues fans have been highly critical of their defensemen. And that included seeing highly touted guys like Backman, Woywitka, Brewer, Johnson, and, at times, Jackman, all struggle, which made them even more jaded. So, I don't deny that Colaiacovo gets some pretty harsh treatment around here, but a good chunk of it is still very well deserved.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:32 PM
DeYarmond Edison
I'm a DapperDan Man!

Another bad signing on an already grossly mediocre Red Wings team. We're picking up the leagues trash.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleaffan View Post
i cant judge this untill i see carlo play a full 82 in the NHL.

on a side note i was at a jays game just after the season we made the p.o but the islanders beat jersey pushing us out. I sat near him wellwood, jay harrison and wisnewski. they all got booed. but welly did sign a shirt for me.
Welp, I guess you are never going to get the chance to judge this signing, he'll only play 75% of the games next year. Those hangnails will keep him from playing.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Good replacement for Lidstrom

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
HockeyDeath*

$2.5...cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He'll help them...but why such a big contract? He should have got 1 year, 2M like Roszi.
Not a big contract for Detroit. Cap-space is a plenty in Mo-Town.

HockeyDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
HockeyDeath*

Hahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
Good replacement for Lidstrom
Very creative joke. However, you've beaten to the punch by aeons.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
HockeyDeath*

Well, he did play for STL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
This warrants the Carlo .gif.
Perhaps on a team that wins championships and with a coach that will use him wisely, he'll add to the grit that TooToo brings (except it'll be on D).

Why hasn't anyone pointed out that Coliacavo isn't afraid to drop the mitts? Several scraps on You Tube show him to be more than competent in this department. Along with the very wise TooToo signing (as tough as they come!), Holland has added a hard-hitting (look for his face, JLA glass) and a guy that won't take flack from anyone. As much as I love Abdelkader's willingness (or is it stupidity?) to stand-up for his teammates, I don't want him to die. Now, D-Town has a legitimate short (but NOT SMALL) tough guy/agitator that can really skate, and a defenceman that adds grit and some offensive potential. Was I the only one that was sick of seeing post-game beatings like Rafalski's at the hands of Perry in Game 6 in the second round of the '09 playoffs? Holland has realized that you're no longer going to go very far into the playoffs and have had intentionally-inflicted injuries to star players (Abdelkader's "fighting" style only works against Keith Yandle) during the brutal 82-game schedule if you don't have some muscle, especially when you have STL in your division. Have the Blues, no matter how terrible the team, ever NOT been a scrappy team? CHI has also beefed-up over the past couple of seasons. No doubt, it was the Bruins of '11 that has really set this trend of size and physical intimidation into motion for the present. The last Cup winner continued this trend.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM
HockeyDeath*

Well, he did play for STL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
This warrants the Carlo .gif.
Perhaps on a team that wins championships and with a coach that will use him wisely, he'll add to the grit that TooToo brings (except it'll be on D).

Why hasn't anyone pointed out that Coliacavo isn't afraid to drop the mitts? Several scraps on You Tube show him to be more than competent in this department. Along with the very wise TooToo signing (as tough as they come!), Holland has added a hard-hitting (look for his face, JLA glass) and a guy that won't take flack from anyone. As much as I love Abdelkader's willingness (or is it stupidity?) to stand-up for his teammates, I don't want him to die. Now, D-Town has a legitimate short (but NOT SMALL) tough guy/agitator that can really skate, and a defenceman that adds grit and some offensive potential. Was I the only one that was sick of seeing post-game beatings like Rafalski's at the hands of Perry in Game 6 in the second round of the '09 playoffs? Holland has realized that you're no longer going to go very far into the playoffs and have had intentionally-inflicted injuries to star players (Abdelkader's "fighting" style only works against Keith Yandle) during the brutal 82-game schedule if you don't have some muscle, especially when you have STL in your division. Have the Blues, no matter how terrible the team, ever NOT been a scrappy team? CHI has also beefed-up over the past couple of seasons. No doubt, it was the Bruins of '11 that has really set this trend of size and physical intimidation into motion for the present. The last Cup winner continued this trend.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
He is probably going to be the sixth defenseman and he will be good at that. Babcock will probably make him feel wanted, important, and that goes a long way for a players overall play.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Go Wings

So now we have 6 offensive defensemen and 1 defensive one? Terrible signing by Holland. We need someone that can kill penalties and play a physical defensive game not another dam puck mover.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote