HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings offseason thread part #whogivesa**** - our team sucks

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Bench
Realgud!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Hudler is a significant upgrade from Samuelsson.
Did Hudler save your life or something? Don't lie to us!

Old
09-13-2012, 12:22 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Hudler and Sammy are both worthless.

Sammy is the better signing because it's only two years and i pray that he finds god like Rafi did and retires too.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Sammy is the better signing because it's only two years and i pray that he finds god like Rafi did and retires too.
I laughed.

They could all join Tim Thomas in his bunker.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:57 PM
InjuredChoker

Yeah I don't agree with WW87 on everything but he does have some awesome lines from time to time.

Old
09-13-2012, 03:34 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I don't want to go and resurrect that old thread on why Wings fans support the cap... But I want to have an I told ya so moment and since this is the offseason thread, It's close enough. As of yesterday, the four highest spenders in the MLB wouldn't have made the playoffs if they started yesterday. The Baltimore Orioles are currently both a very lucky team and are likely to make the playoffs. The Athletics are going to make the playoffs. Mid Spenders Washington and Cincinnati currently have the best records in all of baseball. The Angels are collapsing. Red Sox have collapsed. Yankees are fighting for the playoffs... Rays are back in it. YEAH, THIS MLB SYSTEM IS SO BROKEN AND BORING ONLY THE HIGHEST SPENDING TEAMS EVER GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS AND WIN. Really think the NHL should go to an MLB system without a cap and more revenue sharing.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I didn't want them to bring Sammy back. However in our system he is an upgrade over Hudler. He fits more needs and came on a much better contract whether or not anyone really wants to admit that. Now I have long believed Hudler was misused a lot by the Wings. In particular he was an awful PP guy because of the point positioning. I expect his numbers to improve but the Samuelsson we are getting is a better player than the one who left. I might not like the move but it makes the team stronger when looking at it. Lets face it Babcock was never going to put Hudler in a position to get the absolute best out of him. Samuelsson will contribute on lines 1-3 depending on where he slots in and will be used better on the PP, it is a better fit. The amount of curse words I mutter during a game did go up with Samueslsson back in the fold no doubt about that.

As for hopefully he finds God, Samuelsson is very motivated to get back on team Sweden for the next Olympics. Don't know if he can but man I would love to take the angry Sammy that got rejected last time around. Also unless they change the over 35 rule him finding God still counts against the cap, so with both him and Bertuzzi I hope they play their role to the best of their abilities. I will take the sniper skills and random big goals Sammy provides because he never ever passes and Bert's two or three shootout wins, we might need those more than a lot of people are saying if we are a boarderline playoff team.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:05 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

I don't care if Sammy finds God, Jimmy Hoffa, or Waldo, as long as he finds the back of the net.

With Abby re-signed, I'd like to see a line of Abby-Helm-ToTwo... could be the "Grind Line Redux" we've been hoping for.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Wow, could be worse, we could have just thrown nearly $6m a year at Kari Lehtonen. Guy has a nice year last year, but he really doesn't strike me as a $6m dollar goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I don't care if Sammy finds God, Jimmy Hoffa, or Waldo, as long as he finds the back of the net.

With Abby re-signed, I'd like to see a line of Abby-Helm-ToTwo... could be the "Grind Line Redux" we've been hoping for.
I like that line, too, but we need someone to center the third line. Could be Flip, but I'd wait until after he's re-signed to make that move. Also, moving Flip opens a bit of a hole in the top6.

09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I like that line, too, but we need someone to center the third line. Could be Flip, but I'd wait until after he's re-signed to make that move. Also, moving Flip opens a bit of a hole in the top6.
What do you mean -- that IS the third line.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Lines and pairings?

Todd Bertuzzi - Pavel Datsyuk - Johan Franzen
Valtteri Filppula - Henrik Zetterberg - Mikael Samuelsson
Gustav Nyquist - Darren Helm - Dan Cleary
Drew Miller - Justin Abdelkader - Jordin Tootoo

Niklas Kronwall - Ian White
Jonathan Ericsson - Brendan Smith
Carlo Colaiacovo - Kyle Quincey
Jakub Kindl

Jimmy Howard
Jonas Gustavsson

This would be my guess.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Lines and pairings?

Niklas Kronwall - Ian White
Jonathan Ericsson - Brendan Smith
Carlo Colaiacovo - Kyle Quincey
Jakub Kindl

Jimmy Howard
Jonas Gustavsson

This would be my guess.
Looks like a solid 9th place team to me

Old
09-14-2012, 12:22 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Ehhh idk, looks like it could finish anywhere from 6th to 9th place. Defense is below average and the offense is probably average.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Can't believe that after all that money available... Datsyuk must carry that line with two lazy players for yet another season (whenever the season starts). I feel bad for the guy, he doesn't have many years left.

And then Samuelsson in the top-6... *vomits*

Old
09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Lines and pairings?

Poor Datsyuk, could have really used a legit top 6er this off season. On his one wing the 37 year old 38 point Todd Bertuzzi, and on his other wing the shoot-first, streaky/lazy Johan Franzen. Can't we get this guy something better to work with so we can watch him tear up the league?

Old
09-14-2012, 12:29 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Poor Datsyuk, could have really used a legit top 6er this off season. On his one wing the 37 year old 38 point Todd Bertuzzi, and on his other wing the shoot-first mr. streaky/lazy Johan Franzen. Can't we get this guy something better to work with so we can watch him tear up the league?
Apparently having $20M+ in capspace was not enough to get that player.......................

Old
09-14-2012, 01:31 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I didn't want them to bring Sammy back. However in our system he is an upgrade over Hudler. He fits more needs and came on a much better contract whether or not anyone really wants to admit that. Now I have long believed Hudler was misused a lot by the Wings. In particular he was an awful PP guy because of the point positioning. I expect his numbers to improve but the Samuelsson we are getting is a better player than the one who left. I might not like the move but it makes the team stronger when looking at it. Lets face it Babcock was never going to put Hudler in a position to get the absolute best out of him. Samuelsson will contribute on lines 1-3 depending on where he slots in and will be used better on the PP, it is a better fit. The amount of curse words I mutter during a game did go up with Samueslsson back in the fold no doubt about that.
I doubt that's true. Hudler found a good spot in Detroit last year
Sammy is certainly cheaper and more short term than Hudler. But Hudler was an important player for this team last year. He thinks the game better than Sammy. he passes the puck better than Sammy. He keeps plays alive and developing better than Sammy. And when all is said and done, he's as good as Sammy at putting the puck in the net.

Hudler has shown he can produce with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. He proved he can be a top 6er in Detroit. He was still young and potentially improving. Sammy is near the end and has no future.
His skating continues to deteriorate and at his age, will get worse. Injuries are only going to be more likely.
I was all for getting a right-hand shot --- But not a 35-year-old player who plays as stupidly with the puck as Sammy does.

Quote:
As for hopefully he finds God, Samuelsson is very motivated to get back on team Sweden for the next Olympics. Don't know if he can but man I would love to take the angry Sammy that got rejected last time around. Also unless they change the over 35 rule him finding God still counts against the cap, so with both him and Bertuzzi I hope they play their role to the best of their abilities. I will take the sniper skills and random big goals Sammy provides because he never ever passes and Bert's two or three shootout wins, we might need those more than a lot of people are saying if we are a boarderline playoff team.
We would have been better off going with Mursak or Tatar or Nyquist. Certainly in the long term. Maybe even in the short term.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:08 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Looks like a solid 9th place team to me
No sir that spot is for the Calgary Flames. We'll be at least 8th.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:17 PM
TheOtherOne

A++ Stanley Cup here we come.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
A++ Stanley Cup here we come.
That avatar...it's beautiful.

Every time I see that video, I can't help but think he's exaggerating the crash. Seriously, who makes that kind of face when they get hurt? It's like he's trying to draw a penalty on himself.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

At this point I am apathetic and wouldn't really care that much if there is no season at all.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Apparently having $20M+ in capspace was not enough to get that player.......................
Other then Semin that player wasn't available. Parise seemed set on either Minny or staying in Jersey it looks like, making Holland's offer irrelevant, even if it was a low ball.
And speculating "he coulda made this trade, that trade" is nonsensical because this aint NHL 13 and you can't just go trade for whoever you want.

With that being said I am still baffled that they didn't take a shot on Semin.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Can't believe that after all that money available... Datsyuk must carry that line with two lazy players for yet another season (whenever the season starts). I feel bad for the guy, he doesn't have many years left.

And then Samuelsson in the top-6... *vomits*
Who announced those as the official lines?

Nobody.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Wow, could be worse, we could have just thrown nearly $6m a year at Kari Lehtonen. Guy has a nice year last year, but he really doesn't strike me as a $6m dollar goalie.
In a way this is now our problem Winger. What do you think Howard's camp thought of this agreement?

Old
09-14-2012, 06:13 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
I'm starting the countdown to Stay Puft status for Lehtonen now that he's got his big contract. He's always had weight/conditioning issues and worked his butt off to get to where he is. Some guys keep it up, some guys backslide. We'll see which guy Kari is. My money is on...

Old
09-14-2012, 06:17 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Would really like to know if the Red Wings were not interested in extending Howard or Filppula before the new CBA? It could be an awesome decision, it could also be one of the biggest mis-steps of Holland's career. Really it was interesting watching the way this off-season unfolded I felt these two players were a big reason why. I really hope there is a plan, everyone else is locking up players left and right and we have left our last two core pieces out there. Now in the past with Franzen and Kronwall terms were reached in season. But that could play out much different this time.

Closed Thread