HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predicting the Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals

View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Eastern Conference Finals
#3 Carolina Hurricanes 14 63.64%
OR #4 Pittsburgh Penguins 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

vCash: 500
Predicting the Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals

Pick which team wins (and cut the homerism down a bit)

#3 Carolina Hurricanes

OR #4 Pittsburgh Penguins

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'd honestly pick the Canes over the Pens, at least on paper. I wouldn't pick them over the Rangers. I'd be close, but that's a winnable matchup for the Canes, depending on injuries.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Caniac125330

Canes win game 7 in overtime on a Jordan Staal goal.

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Let's be honest here guys, predicting the Canes make the finals is a BIT of a stretch... In fact, I think I'd take them over Pittsburgh in a 7 game series (we have the "injury bug" advantage for once, can't count on ANYONE in Pittsburgh to be healthy), but I voted for Pittsburgh because us making the Finals is a giant stretch.

TBH, I feel like the Rangers have at least a Finals berth in the bag, if not the Cup. Not sure what the love affair with the Kings is. I get a young team that's coming off a Cup win, but wasn't that basically the Hawks a few years ago? I mean this is a team that was in 8th last year. Quick's great and they really didn't have any veteran's at all, I get that, but I just don't see a repeat. I'd love to be wrong, I've loved their team for a long time. But I doubt it'll happen.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:08 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
it's,, official.. caniac nation has spoke.. canes cup 13,, new generation of cane cardiac... follow foodsteps of roddy,, recchi,, cole.. leadership

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 06:00 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Still not sure why everyone is so high on Pittsburgh.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:07 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post

TBH, I feel like the Rangers have at least a Finals berth in the bag, if not the Cup. Not sure what the love affair with the Kings is. I get a young team that's coming off a Cup win, but wasn't that basically the Hawks a few years ago? I mean this is a team that was in 8th last year. Quick's great and they really didn't have any veteran's at all, I get that, but I just don't see a repeat. I'd love to be wrong, I've loved their team for a long time. But I doubt it'll happen.
I'd agree with just about everything here. IMO, Pittsburgh making it beyond round 2 is a stretch, and the Rangers should have been in the finals. They're the most credible team in the east, IMO.

I'm also not sold on the kings. They still can't score, and after a bunch of GMs went to the NHL with examples of the laxer officiating this year, excursively defensive teams won't be in as good a position. The kings rely on defense and Quick playing at an insane level- if he comes back to earth just a little, and it gets tougher for their D with a tighter standard, they're out in the first round.

But in the real playoffs, upsets are possible. Teams don't always play as well as expected, and if somehow the Rangers do get cleared out of the way, it's no implausible that the Canes would have a shot at going to the finals, or even winning the cup. It just depends on matchups, really. And we do have a lineup capable of winning the division, and if you're in that top three in the conference, you have a real shot. Yeah, there's homerism at play here, but if our ifs shake out right, we could have a very good season.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
We get revenge for the 2009 ECF and sweep them this time. Only question now tho is now that Jordan is on the team, who will pick up Eric at the theatre when his car won't start...

Is it weird that that story just randomly popped into my head over three years after it happened?

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Canes. Because Fluery sucks in the playoffs. Doesn't matter if Sid and Geno pot in 2 each very game.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote