HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2012-13 Ongoing Waivers Thread (Chris Bourque)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Beauchemin wasn't seen as any hot commodity at the time, although he was a good AHL player.
Beauchemin was pretty much in Saint-Denis' position. Had their not been a lock-out, he would probably have been the first d-man to get called up.

Beauchemin could have made the team over Mark Streit in 2005-2006. Also, a few weeks into the season, we lost Hainsey on re-entry waivers (again to Columbus...) and our AHL depth became really awful. Andrew Archer, Jon Aitken, André Benoit, Jeff Paul, J-P Côté and James Sanford, can it get any worse? We were lucky not to get into injury trouble in Montreal that year.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
The AHL contract probably has an out clause when the new CBA is enacted. Same as if a player signs overseas.
Isn't the AHL part of a two-way contract, already a AHL contract in itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingOcto View Post
Instead of risking players getting claimed, they'll wait until the lock out when contracts "don't count" then Corrente will sign with Albany
I understand the issue, I just don't get how you can have two separate AHL contracts at the same time.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Beauchemin was pretty much in Saint-Denis' position. Had their not been a lock-out, he would probably have been the first d-man to get called up.
Agreed. I think they just weren't worried -at all- about him being claimed. I don't think St-Denis would be claimed today if he were waived either.

Not like it quite worked out for Columbus either, though. At the time, it was more controversial just that they essentially got him in Syracuse to play against Hamilton. Nobody ever thought he'd emerge like he did in Anaheim.

Anyway, it sounds like this time around the clear-list guys can be signed to AHL-only deals starting Sunday, so I'm presuming that's what's in store for St-Denis, Desjardins, and Palushaj. No point in risking them if you don't have to, even if the risk is miniscule. (And I'm presuming Blunden wasn't on the clear list).

Old
09-14-2012, 01:39 PM
CaptBrannigan

Here's a snippet from the Tampa beat writer. Explains why Wyman sent down but also relates an AHL rule that may clear up who had to be waived and who didn't.

Put on waivers was forward J.T. Wyman. That was done, Lightning assistant general manager Julien BriseBois said, because of an AHL rule that players who did not finish a previous season with an AHL club and were not on a Clear Day (playoff-eligible) list, must pass through waivers to be assigned to an AHL team.

Edit: so to use the Lightning as an example, Aulie, Labrie, and the like don't need waivers since they were on Norfolk's clear day roster last season. Hope that helps.

Edit 2: So just like Blind Gardien said before me. Lol

Old
09-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Agreed. I think they just weren't worried -at all- about him being claimed. I don't think St-Denis would be claimed today if he were waived either.

Not like it quite worked out for Columbus either, though. At the time, it was more controversial just that they essentially got him in Syracuse to play against Hamilton. Nobody ever thought he'd emerge like he did in Anaheim.
I think it worked out for Columbus. He made the team and he was later traded for Sergei Fedorov. I know that it was mostly a salary dump, but it's not like Beauchemin had negative value at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrannigan View Post
Here's a snippet from the Tampa beat writer. Explains why Wyman sent down but also relates an AHL rule that may clear up who had to be waived and who didn't.

Put on waivers was forward J.T. Wyman. That was done, Lightning assistant general manager Julien BriseBois said, because of an AHL rule that players who did not finish a previous season with an AHL club and were not on a Clear Day (playoff-eligible) list, must pass through waivers to be assigned to an AHL team.

Edit: so to use the Lightning as an example, Aulie, Labrie, and the like don't need waivers since they were on Norfolk's clear day roster last season. Hope that helps.
Thanks. I'm not sure how this works out for the Habs. Palushaj and St.Denis were on the clear day roster list but they finished the season in Montreal.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:55 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I understand the issue, I just don't get how you can have two separate AHL contracts at the same time.
Corrente is an RFA, he has zero contracts until he signs(signed?) the AHL one.

Old
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Wyman, Ferriero, Boychuk have a chance to get claimed simply since a claiming team gets them, doesn't have to pay them, then will get a full camp to evaluate. All are decent enough 12-14 type forwards, maybe some team takes a flyer on seeing them in camp.
Ferriero was a UFA before the Pens signed him. Anyone that wanted him then could have signed him. What would change their minds now?

Old
CaptBrannigan

Booba, then they don't need waivers to play AHL. If the quote I posted is correct.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
devin1487

I know goalies are rarely claimed, but Justin Peters has made big strides with Carolina and I could see someone maybe taking a shot on him.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Ferriero was a UFA before the Pens signed him. Anyone that wanted him then could have signed him. What would change their minds now?
Maybe they tried but Ferriero chose to sign with PIT? Just because he signed in PIT does not mean there was no interest anywhere else.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Zippy316

Wow, surprised Devils sent Butler down.

Good chance a team claims him IMO.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Why are people saying "player x will be claimed"? Players are rarely, if ever claimed during this time.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Why are people saying "player x will be claimed"? Players are rarely, if ever claimed during this time.
It's a unique situation where the teams will be able to bring a player in then get them for an entire TC before making a decision, they will not have to keep them on the roster immediately and cut one of their own guys.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It's a unique situation where the teams will be able to bring a player in then get them for an entire TC before making a decision, they will not have to keep them on the roster immediately and cut one of their own guys.
While true, I can't remember (don't believe it happened at least) if anyone was claimed like this the last time there was a lockout.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
While true, I can't remember (don't believe it happened at least) if anyone was claimed like this the last time there was a lockout.
NHL GM's know the pulse of the market. The guys they put on waivers are guys that they feel will pass through without a problem. The guys that they don't feel will make it through will be locked out and signed to an AHL contract only on Monday or sign overseas until the NHL starts up again.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:50 PM
tv14

I want Zach Boychuk!

Old
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
WhatASaveDave

hope the pick up Zach Boychuk or Michal Haley

Old
09-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Usually players won't be claimed during this time of the year, right before the season starts and when teams are trying to get their players down for their AHL teams to use. Although, you never know when a team might find a gem. Grabner was claimed by the Islanders around this time a few years ago and look how that turned out.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Koto

How do waivers work right now?

Lets say you claim someone off waivers today....how do you retain their rights?

Since there is about to be a lockout, wouldn't you be sending the player to the minors as well, thus re exposing them to waivers, giving the original team the option to reclaim and directly assign (bypassing waivers) the player to the minors?

Old
09-15-2012, 06:42 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post

Since there is about to be a lockout, wouldn't you be sending the player to the minors as well, thus re exposing them to waivers, giving the original team the option to reclaim and directly assign (bypassing waivers) the player to the minors?
I believe when you claim a player off waivers you have to keep him up with the big club for 30 days before putting him back on waivers. So that player would in essence become an NHL player and be locked out until the CBA is agreed upon. You can't claim him and send him to your minor league team.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:58 AM
seanlinden

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... but I think the reasoning is:

- When you assign a (2-way player) who's not waiver exempt (basically all these guys) to the AHL, their contracts become of AHL variety and not subject to lockout. The NHL team gets to force them to the AHL team, at the salary dictated in their NHL contract.

- If they didn't "assign" them before the lockout, then these players would be free to play wherever they'd like during the lockout, including potentially a new contract with any AHL team, where they could demand more money as well.

To me, Boychuk is the guy that stands out on this list as not belonging (if I'm Brian Burke I'd pick him up and then just negotiate with him to sign an AHL deal)... I guess the Canes figured that they were prepared to lose his rights in order to get him on their AHL team for the lockout.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:00 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post

If you claim somebody today, you can't put them back on waivers because there's not enough time. They become locked out NHL players. If you want them to play on your AHL team, you call them (as GM of the AHL team) and offer them a contract.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:20 AM
caley

per Renaud Lavoie

Quote:
No player on waivers today. Every player who was on waivers this week cleared.
I didn't think it was likely anyone was claimed, because, as a GM, you'd basically be saying to said player "Welcome to the team! Sorry, instead of getting paid to play in the AHL, you won't be drawing a cheque and you're now locked-out. Sorry again."

Old
09-15-2012, 11:54 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Renaud Lavoie

I didn't think it was likely anyone was claimed, because, as a GM, you'd basically be saying to said player "Welcome to the team! Sorry, instead of getting paid to play in the AHL, you won't be drawing a cheque and you're now locked-out. Sorry again."
not really because they can just sign a contract with another league, including one with the AHL

Old
09-16-2012, 03:05 AM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Surprised to see Boychuk, has he really fallen so far as to not be considered an NHL worthy prospect? Would like to see Montreal claim Gragnani, he could become a 40-50 pt defenseman with Markov feeding him one timers on the PP.

Closed Thread