HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doan to make decision in a few hours (Still a few teams in play)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
NYR weren't a terrible team in 06-07.

They had a lot of youngsters in the roster at the time, while their elite players were getting up there in age.

They swept a division winner in round 1, but lost 4 games to 2 against the President Trophy winning Sabres. Chris Drury scored the game tying goal against the Rangers in game 5 with less than 30 seconds remaining. They went on to lose game 6, but they were pretty neck and neck with the highest scoring team in the league.

Signing Gomez and Drury, along with talent already included in Shanahan, Jagr, Straka, Nylander,t and youngsters like Dubinsky, Tyutin, Girardi, Callahan, Staal and Lundqvist looking to make an impact, they looked like they were on the cusp of becoming cup contenders. Obviously it didn't turn out that way, for a variety of reasons. Drury's play went into a steep decline, Jagr/Shanahan/Staka/Nylander all slowed down, Gomez was producing, but went cold for long stretches even whilst putting up points and the defense looked brutal as they were relying too heavily on the young guys. In hindsight, it was a good move.

Drury was fine for his 1st year, but his play took a steep drop at year 2 and looked brutal in yrs 3 and 4. I see similarities between Doan and Drury, mainly because of their aggressive forecheck playing styles. 1 yr at 4mil is fine, but if not, nice meeting you.
While it certainly is a risk and likewise could emulate Drury downward spiral. It is one we simply have to gamble upon seeing our window as a dominate team will inevitably closer; sooner rather than later unfortunately. If Doan can give us two years of solid play, we have a chance to finally win it all. I'd say that is worth taking a chance on 4-5 term commitment. If the rumored $5.25m turns out accurate. All the better.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
JoeLH

vCash: 500
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan

Updated info: Doan's contract can be submitted to the league any time before 8:59 p.m. AZ time tomorrow before the lockout is set to begin.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post

Updated info: Doan's contract can be submitted to the league any time before 8:59 p.m. AZ time tomorrow before the lockout is set to begin.
I think we knew that. It was a later statement from Doan that he would make his decision today that has sparked a modicum of posting.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post

One of the many reasons why I hate Twitter. No explanation of where she obtained this information. I will go ahead and dismiss it. How lazy has reporting become? Do they pay reporters or do they all have other jobs? Does she just tweet on her smoke breaks at TGI Fridays, or what? Easiest job in the world, I swear.

09-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
One of the many reasons why I hate Twitter. No explanation of where she obtained this information. I will go ahead and dismiss it. How lazy has reporting become? Do they pay reporters or do they all have other jobs? Does she just tweet on her smoke breaks at TGI Fridays, or what? Easiest job in the world, I swear.
AGREE, so agree.

At least link to a well prepared article.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I laughed way harder at this than I should have.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While it certainly is a risk and likewise could emulate Drury downward spiral. It is one we simply have to gamble upon seeing our window as a dominate team will inevitably closer; sooner rather than later unfortunately. If Doan can give us two years of solid play, we have a chance to finally win it all. I'd say that is worth taking a chance on 4-5 term commitment. If the rumored $5.25m turns out accurate. All the better.
For the Canucks perspective, I can understand gambling on Doan. For the Rangers, I can't understand it. We have great wingers with top prospects coming up through the system. It makes no sense.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:14 PM
silvercanuck

@blurbmckenzie

update: Wayne Gretzky can signal his intentions to Doan at any time before 8:59 PM Pacific time tomorrow before the lockout begins.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:25 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
NYR weren't a terrible team in 06-07.

They had a lot of youngsters in the roster at the time, while their elite players were getting up there in age.

They swept a division winner in round 1, but lost 4 games to 2 against the President Trophy winning Sabres. Chris Drury scored the game tying goal against the Rangers in game 5 with less than 30 seconds remaining. They went on to lose game 6, but they were pretty neck and neck with the highest scoring team in the league.

Signing Gomez and Drury, along with talent already included in Shanahan, Jagr, Straka, Nylander,t and youngsters like Dubinsky, Tyutin, Girardi, Callahan, Staal and Lundqvist looking to make an impact, they looked like they were on the cusp of becoming cup contenders. Obviously it didn't turn out that way, for a variety of reasons. Drury's play went into a steep decline, Jagr/Shanahan/Staka/Nylander all slowed down, Gomez was producing, but went cold for long stretches even whilst putting up points and the defense looked brutal as they were relying too heavily on the young guys. In hindsight, it was a good move.

Drury was fine for his 1st year, but his play took a steep drop at year 2 and looked brutal in yrs 3 and 4. I see similarities between Doan and Drury, mainly because of their aggressive forecheck playing styles. 1 yr at 4mil is fine, but if not, nice meeting you.
That's an egocentric team. I would like this signing for the Canucks not only because not only would it currently fill a top 6 need and make it a very potent top 6 that can bang when want to and score when it needs too. More importantly I believe that this relieves the pressure in bringing immediate help with the Luongo trade.

More importantly this signing will impact the development of Kassian and Gaunce in a large way. I believe that he will play the same role as Sundin did for guys like Kesler and Raymond. I'm sure you can admit that Drury did wonders and mentored the likes of Dubinsky and Callahan well further teaching them what it takes to succeed in the game.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:26 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
@blurbmckenzie

update: Wayne Gretzky can signal his intentions to Doan at any time before 8:59 PM Pacific time tomorrow before the lockout begins.
I doan't get it... are former Oilers trying to "Schultz" Doan to Edmonton?

Am I missing something? What does this have to do with Gretzky?

Last edited by canuckster19: 09-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
09-14-2012, 02:28 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
@blurbmckenzie

Knew that was coming. Big announcement, definitely signing today, etc, etc . . . move the goalposts v8

If you want to take you time and wait to see how PHO ownership, CBA work out fine. But stop making these big announcements about pending decisions.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post

Old
09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post

Gretzky was all over North America this summer trying to convince random people to sign stuff. First it was Edmonton. Then he went to Toronto to convince Steve Nash that Canada needed him to sign with the Raptors. Lastly he was in Bellevue Washington to convince leaders there that an arena in Bellevue would make more sense than the scheme that's cooking up in Seattle next door. I would be shocked if Gretzky hasn't tried to convince Doan to sign with the Rangers for the benefit of Canada.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:49 PM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Knew that was coming. Big announcement, definitely signing today, etc, etc . . . move the goalposts v8

If you want to take you time and wait to see how PHO ownership, CBA work out fine. But stop making these big announcements about pending decisions.
uh just because some random twitter account makes some quip about when the last contracts are due by means Doan's agent was lying about him making the decision today?

Old
09-14-2012, 03:07 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
uh just because some random twitter account makes some quip about when the last contracts are due by means Doan's agent was lying about him making the decision today?
Fair enough. Tick toc. Just call me a bit skeptical. And I blame none of it on Doan. I think his agent has repeatedly suggested big and impending news to try to gin up demand and price. IMO this is the same thing again. I think Doan wants to sign in PHO and will wait until there is a resolution.

4:08pm EST. Waiting for word. Will gladly eat crow, shot of oban scotch on the side if he signs today.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Gretzky was all over North America this summer trying to convince random people to sign stuff. First it was Edmonton. Then he went to Toronto to convince Steve Nash that Canada needed him to sign with the Raptors. Lastly he was in Bellevue Washington to convince leaders there that an arena in Bellevue would make more sense than the scheme that's cooking up in Seattle next door. I would be shocked if Gretzky hasn't tried to convince Doan to sign with the Rangers for the benefit of Canada.
I heard the ******* was the one who convinced Apple's head office to change the connector plug on iPhones.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post

announcements??? do you mean Doan and his agent stop answering questions reporters ask?

Old
09-14-2012, 03:17 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
LOL?
Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
Was told by source close to situation that Shane Doan won't sign with VAN and it was between San Jose and Phoenix but we shall see!

Old
09-14-2012, 03:17 PM
David71

cmooonnn doanerrrrrrr

Old
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
caley

So, I dunno how connected he would be, but Bruins reporter Jimmy Murphy tweeted the following

Quote:
Was told by source close to situation that Shane Doan won't sign with VAN and it was between San Jose and Phoenix but we shall see!
https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/sta...00986943565824

Old
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
LOL?
Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
I'm pretty sure his agent already stated it's between Vancouver and Phoenix.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
For the Canucks perspective, I can understand gambling on Doan. For the Rangers, I can't understand it. We have great wingers with top prospects coming up through the system. It makes no sense.
Definitely. After the Nash trade you guys are set and then some.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Kloparren
Hth

In the past few days, did Doan seriously expect that the Phx ownership agreement would be finalized between then and midnight tonight? The guy has to be an optimist holding out hope for the last minute but he's certainly not a risk taker willing to sign anyways and hoping it turns out okay in Phx.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I'm pretty sure his agent already stated it's between Vancouver and Phoenix.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Quote:
Bross says Doan willing to take less in VAN bcoss he loves the front office - calls them 1st class.
5h News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Quote:
Bross says #Canucks offer to Doan is good but it doesn't knock your socks off bcoss VAN has cap issues.
Quote:
Agent Terry Bross says you can flip a coin right now as to Doan signing with #Canucks or Coyotes.
Quote:
Update - Shane Doan's agent tells CKWX that he wants to make the announcement decision in 3 hours.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/sta...06710411083776
Quote:
#RedWings had offered UFA F Shane Doan 4 year contract (nowhere near $28 mill) but were rebuffed. Wanted to stay in PHX/West coast.

Closed Thread